Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Philips 9631D/79

Hi All,

I have a 42" 9631D/79 with the flashing 6/3 power led issue. The Power Supply Board is 3104 328 42681 and appears to be significantly different from the one used in the 9631D/37, specifically I went looking for the 2 capacitors (8059 and 8060) to replace but they are not there. None of the electrolytics have bulges or leaks. The set is working intermittently, once it starts, it runs perfectly for hours, the problem is always when you switch it off then on again in the morning.

I have fixed a similar fault on an earlier Philips set (with Samsung boards inside), one of the SM 16v electros was faulty and the protection wasn't waiting long enough for the various voltages to stabilise.

The main problem I have with the 9631D/79 is that I can't find any voltage labelling on the PS board so I don't know where to look for the various voltages, and there is nothing telling me where the protection circuit is either.

I have checked the main fuse on the PS board and it is intact.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Still struggling with this one, any help would be appreciated, please.

Rob.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

After setting the Plasma up on the workbench and removing the back panel, I noticed that it was starting perfectly each time.

What was different?

During normal operation, at each switch off, I was turning the set off at the side mounted power switch rather than leaving it on standby. On the bench, at each switch off, I was unplugging the power cord rather than leaving the 240v power connected with the back panel open. I wasn't touching the side mounted on/off switch.

I have found that as long as I don't touch the side mounted on/off switch the plasma starts first time, every time. I turn it off at the power point each night. Perhaps a fault with the power switch? Who knows, it's back to its usual self now, free of cost.

Rob.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Rob, confused....the TV turns On/Off if you use a remote control ? Just not the On/Off on the TV itself ?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I understand your confusion.

I had been in the habit of turning the set off with the remote, then instead of leaving it in Standby I would then turn the set off at the side mounted on/off switch.

After many years of this, the set began to refuse to start first time. In other words I would need to turn it on a number of times at the side mounted switch. Then a few weeks ago it refused to start at all.

I found when I had it on the bench that if I turned it off at the mains power switch (wall mounted 240v socket), when I turned the 240v on at the wall it would start into standby then I could use the remote ( I have a Logitech H1000i for the entire system) to start it as normal.

At first I thought it was the usual Electrolytics with bulged ends, but could find none with a visual inspection, and I could find no circuit diagrams or any data about the /79 model at all. I doesn't appear to be anything like the /37 model mentioned in other forums.

Rob.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-20-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

Any suggestions?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy1 View Post
I understand your confusion.
I had been in the habit of turning the set off with the remote, then instead of leaving it in Standby I would then turn the set off at the side mounted on/off switch.
Off is off, not sure why you turn it off with the remote and then hit the on-off switch. I would think this would turn it ON after you turn it off with the remote, no ?

You can't "double-OFF" the TV....if you turn it off with the remote and then hit the Off/On the side of the TV, it's gonna turn it ON....right ?

Quote:
After many years of this, the set began to refuse to start first time. In other words I would need to turn it on a number of times at the side mounted switch. Then a few weeks ago it refused to start at all.

Are you talking about plug-unplug ?
See the 9631 User Thread, mid-20's/early-30's page numbers.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Turning 'off' with the remote puts the TV into standby (LED on the front turns from green to red). Turning off with the side switch turns it right off, red LED goes out.

Rob.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I had a browse in that approximate area. I found where some folks had to keep plugging and unplugging the mains power and eventually the set started. What I am seeing is that if I turn off at the mains (equivalent to unplugging I guess), when I turn it on it starts right away (99% of the time).

I still can't locate any reference to my specific version of the 9631 model (i.e. 9631/79)

Rob.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,Turning 'off' with the remote puts the TV into standby (LED on the front turns from green to red). Turning off with the side switch turns it right off, red LED goes out. Rob.
There is NO Light on my 42" 9631 when I turn it off either way. Red LEDs indicate a problem by blinking, there is no separate OFF or STANDBY modes I am aware of.

Sounds like a cap problem thing.

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 07-18-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a browse in that approximate area. I found where some folks had to keep plugging and unplugging the mains power and eventually the set started. What I am seeing is that if I turn off at the mains (equivalent to unplugging I guess), when I turn it on it starts right away (99% of the time).Rob.
Turn it off at the mains ? What does this entail ?
post #12 of 13 Old 07-18-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
There is NO Light on my 42" 9631 when I turn it off either way. Red LEDs indicate a problem by blinking, there is no separate OFF or STANDBY modes I am aware of.

Sounds like a cap problem thing.
On this model, the red LED lights when in standby, then becomes green when the set goes from standby to on.

I agree that the problem seems to be cap related, but as I can't find any documentation about this model it is very difficult to troubleshoot. I have dismantled the set, but can't see any bulged or leaking caps.

Rob.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-18-2017, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Turn it off at the mains ? What does this entail ?
Turning off at the mains is simply turning off the 240v power outlet at the wall socket. The equivalent to the plug/unplug option.

Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page