Value of TH42PWD4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-09-2016, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Value of TH42PWD4

I have a Panasonic TH42PWD4 in excellent condition that I am replacing with a new set. When I listed the plasma for sale at $150 I got no responses, but when I made it a giveaway I was flooded with interest. I am wondering if this set is worth anymore than a couple of hundred? It cost a fortune back in the day, but that was almost two decades ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Sorry to say there is virtually no market for a 15-year-old Standard-Definition Plasma monitor, not even at $20.

-

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 10 Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Sorry to say there is virtually no market for a 15-year-old Standard-Definition Plasma monitor, not even at $20.

-
Thanks for letting me know .. makes me feel better as I gave it away to the guy who put up the wall mount for my new set. It was an elegant TV for a 135 lb beast. I was glad to get it out of my way though. It serve its time well. If it is truly only worth 20 bucks then I'm puzzled by the response I got on Craigslist for it (listed for free, but still.) I had to get 75 interested folks willing to come get it, even at that weight. That was why I asked here .. couldn't figure that out.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would have kept it for nostalgia.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-2016, 08:14 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
I would have kept it for nostalgia.
I dunno, i kept my 2005 TH-42PX50U for nostalgia and now i won't even get $100 for it come spring cleaning time

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-11-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I dunno, i kept my 2005 TH-42PX50U for nostalgia and now i won't even get $100 for it come spring cleaning time

Nostalgia comes better in something less than a 135 lb package .. have always found this to be true.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-11-2016, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm still puzzled by the overwhelming response I got to posting this plasma for free on Craigslist .. have to have over a hundred interested parties in carting this heavy beast away. Puzzled by this ..
post #8 of 10 Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push-T View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm still puzzled by the overwhelming response I got to posting this plasma for free on Craigslist .. have to have over a hundred interested parties in carting this heavy beast away. Puzzled by this ..
They want it for the kids room. Free and keeps them busy
post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push-T View Post
Craigslist is full of super cheap-skate moochers that will take just about anything if it's listed as free, but will not pay $20 for stuff that's worth $100. I've posted good useful stuff for sale at ridiculously low prices and got little serious interest but got lots of low-ball offers. If i just need someone to come get a big item off my property even for free, i'll require that they respond adn give me their phone number and a good time for me to call them to make arrangements, and i state that i will not respond to emails or texts. That kinda tells me that a lot of inquiries are more to harvest your name and harvest your now verified email address so they can sell it to spammers (verified email addresses are valuable).

My boss once posted a set of 3 old file cabinets for $20 each and only got a few responses asking for a lower price but he said no, the price is firm. Nobody bought them at his price. Then a few months later he just wanted to get rid of them so we did a little social experiment and posted them for free and we got a dozen "I'll take them all" responses the first day alone. So what we did was take them across the street and left them in the parking lot of a vacant building that was for lease, then responded to all of them that "we'll leave them in our parking lot, first-come first-served" and within a half hour we saw a junky beat up pickup truck swoop in and snatch them up. Then for the rest of the day we saw several other trucks and vans drive into that lot and look around for them, and continued to get emails asking if they were still available. They had no idea we were actually across the street watching.

Randy
post #10 of 10 Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Craigslist is full of super cheap-skate moochers that will take just about anything if it's listed as free, but will not pay $20 for stuff that's worth $100. I've posted good useful stuff for sale at ridiculously low prices and got little serious interest but got lots of low-ball offers. If i just need someone to come get a big item off my property even for free, i'll require that they respond adn give me their phone number and a good time for me to call them to make arrangements, and i state that i will not respond to emails or texts. That kinda tells me that a lot of inquiries are more to harvest your name and harvest your now verified email address so they can sell it to spammers (verified email addresses are valuable).

My boss once posted a set of 3 old file cabinets for $20 each and only got a few responses asking for a lower price but he said no, the price is firm. Nobody bought them at his price. Then a few months later he just wanted to get rid of them so we did a little social experiment and posted them for free and we got a dozen "I'll take them all" responses the first day alone. So what we did was take them across the street and left them in the parking lot of a vacant building that was for lease, then responded to all of them that "we'll leave them in our parking lot, first-come first-served" and within a half hour we saw a junky beat up pickup truck swoop in and snatch them up. Then for the rest of the day we saw several other trucks and vans drive into that lot and look around for them, and continued to get emails asking if they were still available. They had no idea we were actually across the street watching.

That's an interesting take and I'm sure it's right. The responses I got seemed mostly legitimate and out of about a hundred I did respond to two. But your story is valuable in the advice not to respond by email with a verified address. ( I thought that Craigs List offered a way of responding via their email system and anonymously .. but am not sure. )

I have a couch that I want to give away for the effort of carrying it down three flights of stairs. I think when I do this I will respond by requesting a number to text to .. I'm less leery about doing this than sending out my email address.

My impression with the "harvesting information" stuff is that it is rampant in personal ads and that sort of thing .. less so on items for sale. Although maybe it would be a good idea to list the couch for twenty bucks in the "for sale" section and then mention that it's free in the body of the posting ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page