Should I sell my 65VT60 and buy OLED? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Test Ickles

post #1 of 18 Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I sell my 65VT60 and buy OLED?

Subject says it all. Need some feedback.

So here is the deal. I have a chance to sell my 65vt60 for $2k. Do you think that 4k oled has caught up to the benchmark Panasonic plasmas?

The price of new sets are so expensive however.

I have a denon 72000WA receiver which is 4k compatible. I buy a lot of blu rays and now am buying the 4k discs in contemplation of eventually getting a 4k set.

I am looking at the newer lg oled sets. But I can stand judder. Is that still an issue? Am I going to be dissapointed? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
Subject says it all. Need some feedback.

So here is the deal. I have a chance to sell my 65vt60 for $2k. Do you think that 4k oled has caught up to the benchmark Panasonic plasmas?

The price of new sets are so expensive however.

I have a denon 72000WA receiver which is 4k compatible. I buy a lot of blu rays and now am buying the 4k discs in contemplation of eventually getting a 4k set.

I am looking at the newer lg oled sets. But I can stand judder. Is that still an issue? Am I going to be dissapointed? Thoughts?
If you can get 2k jump on that. Yes the OLED is better than the VT60. I have the same 65VT60 and have an LG65B6P. Judder not an issue. You will not be disapointed. VT60 still kicks ass though.

Last edited by Test Ickles; 02-20-2017 at 08:40 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I heard judder was still an issue. That's good if it isn't.

Also should I spent more money on the new 2017 oled or save and buy a 2016? Looking at the e series since no difference in pic quality.

post #4 of 18 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you’re upgrading once every 5-10 years and going to take the plunge I’d wait for the 2017. It’s 25% brighter and maybe they fixed the color and judder issues.

If you have more money and time than you know what to do with then buy one now and if the 2017 or 2018 is really a lot better, sell at a loss and get them when they come out.

I really want an OLED but I’m not getting the feeling that if I got an LG OLED now I’d be as happy as I’ve been with my Kuro Plasma for like 10 years now let alone 2 or 3.

I keep waiting for:

Under $7.5k.
70” or more.
No silly chipset issues. Judder and such. Maybe the Sony and others can do better with the LG panels they’ll have this year.
Better full color support.
Full support for all the HDR stuff that seems to be in constant flux.
Color uniformity, seems like too many were see blotchy yellows and whatnot on mostly white scenes.
Last but not least, burn in and off color fade.
post #5 of 18 Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Remember, no 3d with 2017 LG OLED Lineup. If you're a fan of that, get 2016 models while you can.
post #6 of 18 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 91
If I could get two grand, I might sell it even if I had no immediate plans to replace it, and this is coming from someone with both a 55" & 65" VT60.
post #7 of 18 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
If I could get two grand, I might sell it even if I had no immediate plans to replace it, and this is coming from someone with both a 55" & 65" VT60.
This was my thought exactly. But this is my main tv in main room. I need to replace it soon. I don't think I can go wrong with the lg oled 2017 e series. I think the Sony will be way overpriced like the z9d is.

I called our lg distributor here. They said they are getting pricing on Friday for the 2017 models. I hope they aren't too high.
post #8 of 18 Old Today, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If it was me....I'd be waiting for the Panasonic OLED's. Could come as early as this summer.

If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Chuck Norris
post #9 of 18 Old Today, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
This was my thought exactly. But this is my main tv in main room. I need to replace it soon. I don't think I can go wrong with the lg oled 2017 e series. I think the Sony will be way overpriced like the z9d is.

I called our lg distributor here. They said they are getting pricing on Friday for the 2017 models. I hope they aren't too high.
Highly doubt you will ever see an offer that good again for your VT60. Sell Sell Sell
post #10 of 18 Old Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
If it was me....I'd be waiting for the Panasonic OLED's. Could come as early as this summer.
In the states?? Believe me, being a Panny plasma fanboy I would love to hear news of Panasonic jumping on the OLED train here in the states. That way maybe when I am ready to upgrade in a few years they will be affordable enough.

Ed
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR1008 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP sub

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
BD collection http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...0&categoryid=7
post #11 of 18 Old Today, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
In the states?? Believe me, being a Panny plasma fanboy I would love to hear news of Panasonic jumping on the OLED train here in the states. That way maybe when I am ready to upgrade in a few years they will be affordable enough.
Yes sir.....I can't wait.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#3e722ef72568

If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Chuck Norris
post #12 of 18 Old Today, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
If you are watching primarily 720P-1080P content and at/above 10' with mostly light controlled room would definitely suggest staying with VT60.

Watching mostly 1080p, some 4K/HDR content, sitting close (7-10') then would only say Maybe upgrade. Judder is still an issue with the LG sets which are currently at the lowest price while unknown info for the 2017 Sony, Panasonic, & Philips variants.

When it comes to technology lately the 3rd iteration of such new developments is usually the best time to buy in. OLED & 4K screens initially came out for consumers around 2013 and now is finally settling down regarding prices/quality. Now the problem is the new HDR format which I would count 2016 as it's 1st year. I'd say 2018-2019 will be the best time to buy into 4K, OLED, and HDR capable sets. Likely to also have the newest HDMI 2.1 format.

I have an OLED 65C6p and the reason for upgrades include below:
4K & HDR content/Gaming
upgrading from a 50" Plasma screen to 65"
Sit between 5'-9' from set

In short - If you are okay with judder, have money, and want it now, then buy. If you can wait, 2018-19 will be the sweet spot for mostly stable HDR, HDMI, and etc.

Last edited by ziocomposite; Today at 04:50 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old Today, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocomposite View Post
If you are watching primarily 720P-1080P content and at/above 10' with mostly light controlled room would definitely suggest staying with VT60.

Watching mostly 1080p, some 4K/HDR content, sitting close (7-10') then would only say Maybe upgrade. Judder is still an issue with the LG sets which are currently at the lowest price while unknown info for the 2017 Sony, Panasonic, & Philips variants.

When it comes to technology lately the 3rd iteration of such new developments is usually the best time to buy in. OLED & 4K screens initially came out for consumers around 2013 and now is finally settling down regarding prices/quality. Now the problem is the new HDR format which I would count 2016 as it's 1st year. I'd say 2018-2019 will be the best time to buy into 4K, OLED, and HDR capable sets. Likely to also have the newest HDMI 2.1 format.

4K & HDR content/Gaming

In short - If you are okay with judder, have money, and want it now, then buy. If you can wait, 2018-19 will be the sweet spot for mostly stable HDR, HDMI, and etc.
All good points but the OP can't wait. He'll get 2k for his VT60 which is the most he'll ever be able to get for it and use it to buy a new OLED. Since the OP's VT60 is his main viewing display he'll have to purchase now. A 2016 or 2017 LG OLED.
ziocomposite likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old Today, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Also true =D 2K is a great price to get for the set now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 Old Today, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was in a similar situation recently and wanted to upgrade my 65VT30. I did end up going with the LG OLED65C6P and only notice judder when watching 1080 sources like DirecTV. Blu-Rays and 4K content look amazing especially when in HDR or Dolby Vision. Also the 2016 OLEDs are probably the last to offer 3D support for sometime.

I decided to keep my Panny due to the fact that I did not want to let it go for next to nothing and it is still an amazing TV. I now have the 65VT30 in our master bedroom. It is a large room and we sleep around 15 feet away from the wall where it is mounted.

Good Luck!

LG: OLED65C6P 65" OLED Panel
Marantz: SR7010 (Powering surround and height channels only)
Adcom: GFA555 x 2 L/R and Center
Definitive: BP30 x 6 for bed layer and CLR2000 for center duty
Definitive: ProMonitor 1000 x 4 for ATMOS/DTSX heights
SVS: PB12-Plus x 2
post #16 of 18 Old Today, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
All good points but the OP can't wait. He'll get 2k for his VT60 which is the most he'll ever be able to get for it and use it to buy a new OLED. Since the OP's VT60 is his main viewing display he'll have to purchase now. A 2016 or 2017 LG OLED.
You are right on. This is the dilemma.
post #17 of 18 Old Today, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocomposite View Post

4K & HDR content/Gaming

Good info. I am hoping 2017 does better with judder and brightness.

Also, I noticed the 2017 models are adding
Ore support for advanced hdr. Is there an hdr 12 format? I am confused on this.

I also talked with a rep today that said the new panel will be 25% brighter and have a longer life span.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 201
For 2K I would not hesitate to sell it, unless you don't want (or don't like) one of the OLED models available (or soon to be available).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays