AVS Forum banner

2009 LG Plasma 50PS30 Suddenly Problems

216 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Blaine B. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I hardly watch television, which is one of the main reasons why I canceled my Netflix subscription a few months ago. If I'm at home and looking for entertainment, I always go straight for my desktop PC.

Nonetheless, after three or four months of inactivity, I went to my LG 50" Plasma (November 2009, model 50PS30) and switched it on. It was initially OK but maybe 30 seconds later I started getting some flickering in the picture and a duplicate of any image on the screen.

This is not an external connection issue, as it doesn't matter which input I select. It also exhibits the same behavior on the menu.

I removed the rear cover and the front side trim and prodded around trying to see if I could isolate the problem to one specific component or cable. NOPE. Nothing that I tapped or wiggled made any difference. It seems to me as if this television is done for, but what I am most confused about is how could it go bad, just sitting there not being used? The last time I used this television, the picture was working great. Since then it has not been moved or abused, it has just sat there in my living room in a powered down state.

In the past I was given a 46" Samsung LCD television that had an issue with multicolored lines being displayed on the screen. When I removed the back cover, I was able to isolate the problem to one of the boards, as pushing on the board, pushing on the connections, or flexing the board in any direction made the display clear right how. However, this was a problem common with this particular television that led to a broken solder joint of some kind.....I did not end up fixing it, but keeping tension on the board was a temporary solution.)

As with this LG television, there do not appear to be any temporary solutions available as I cannot find anything inside that responds to tapping and prodding.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. As I already said, I'm just boggled how it would be fine a few months ago and then yesterday it would be terrible.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.