My beloved Pioneer now has a Discovery logo burned in - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jackal2001

post #1 of 27 Old 04-15-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My beloved Pioneer now has a Discovery logo burned in

Oh nooooooo!
Sorry guys I don't get here hardly ever anymore. Is there anything that can be run on my Pioneer Elite to fix a light image burned in. Damn discovery channel logo.
It seems like a lot of links are dead (since this doesn't happen anymore LOL)
I have a PC hooked up to run as a media center so if there is anything I can run from a PC that is doable.

TC-P50V10 Build Date: April 2009
A-Board replaced on 1/4/2010 w/1.24, updated to 1.28.
Current 0% IRE: 0.034FtL
My SM Factory Numbers
Putting the 50V10 downstairs. Bought a new Elite 101FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Disney WOW disc pixel flipper or just play full screen content for a few days. Should go away.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I found the screen sweeper in the menu but that only runs for an hour. I was also going to run some colored blocks that rotate colors like big static. My kuro is 7 years old and I really don't want to buy another TV just yet.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
like already mentioned, disney wow seems to be the most recommended. full screen content, screen wipe, or 'break-in slides' should also work.

i don't think the threads on burn in are dead because it never happens, they are dead because there's really no new way of dealing with it. at this point it's like asking what the best way to tie your shoes is, we've done it enough times there's nothing new to ask about, even if we may have slightly different approaches to it.

also, in case somebody else is confused by it. 'technically' burn-in implies it can't be removed. image retention(which is hopefully what you have) is temporary and can be removed, usually easily, and is what i was talking about in my entire post. real, actual throw-the-tv-away burn in is pretty rare. i've accidentally left static images on mine for over 7hrs straight and the IR was easily wiped away. but it does still happen, usually more about the content being displayed than the display itself. some channels/games seem like they were designed by LCD manufacturers specifically to cause burn in on the competition...lol

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 27 Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

I believe this is burn in as the the is 7 years old and I just never noticed it until now. I'm guessing 7 years of that damn logo finally did it. I've been running the built in wipe at highest contrast and brightness for about 6 hours off and on and watching full screen content like HBO. It is still there.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

See attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_173920.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	2088425  

My SM Factory Numbers
post #7 of 27 Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1586
you watched discovery channel for 7 years straight? i thought i was a documentary nerd...

it could be, 6hours of a screen wipe isn't the most you can do though, so unless you actually did watch 7yrs of discovery channel, i wouldn't give up hope yet. is that picture you posted relatively accurate of what you see? i has to look twice to find the logo, but i guess once seen, it can't be unseen...

if you want to get tricky, you could try running slides of the negative of the discovery logo. if 'burn-in' is a non-uniform aging of phosphors, you might be able to even out the aging this way. never done it, or seen it successfully work before, but i've heard it suggested a few times and seems like it should work in theory. usually it's brought up when somebody has burn-in from 4:3 or letterbox bars. things that are easy to make a negative of

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 27 Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely burned in. I tried for the past 2 days to run all kinds of slides, the built in screen wipe, etc. Still no change.
I'm basically saying the TV is 7 years old and I watch the discovery channel every day or so. Some days I way watch a marathon. I guess over the years it took its toll.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #9 of 27 Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001 View Post
Definitely burned in. I tried for the past 2 days to run all kinds of slides, the built in screen wipe, etc. Still no change.
I'm basically saying the TV is 7 years old and I watch the discovery channel every day or so. Some days I way watch a marathon. I guess over the years it took its toll.

In this case then you may have non-removable burn in.
post #10 of 27 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I had the CBS logo "burned-in" my screen for 3 months. I tried to do overnight screenwipes etc and it still took 3 months to go away (avoiding CBS channel entirely during that time). I bet if you stop watching discovery, it would go away in a month or two. Some IR can be more stubborn than others but in my experience, almost any amount of IR/BI can be eliminated with time/varied content.
post #11 of 27 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I had the CBS logo "burned-in" my screen for 3 months. I tried to do overnight screenwipes etc and it still took 3 months to go away (avoiding CBS channel entirely during that time). I bet if you stop watching discovery, it would go away in a month or two. Some IR can be more stubborn than others but in my experience, almost any amount of IR/BI can be eliminated with time/varied content.
Thanks for the info, maybe all hope isn't lost. What I did last night is changed the aspect ratio to Wide1 while watching Discovery. It almost completely removed the logo from the screen. Discovery Channel must be doing something with the logo. When in Wide1 I saw just the edge of the logo, it started to move off the screen, it started to come back, and then it moved completely off the screen. They must be moving it slowly. Beats me.
I'm going to stop watching that channel except for the shows I really want to watch and will watch them in Wide mode. I'll give it some time and we'll see what happens. Right now I really don't want to buy another TV and I love my Kuro.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #12 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 988
One thing I tried that worked was putting my plasma on OTA, setting it to a channel with no signal and letting it run overnight for a few days. The random static pattern seems to work as well as any screen wiper without shutting off after a certain period. It looks like this YouTube video:

post #13 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Discovery Channel must be doing something with the logo. When in Wide1 I saw just the edge of the logo, it started to move off the screen, it started to come back, and then it moved completely off the screen. They must be moving it slowly. Beats me.
What you are seeing is the built in feature of your TV to reduce burn in. Most-or all- plasma TVs had a feature that moved the entire image up-down-left-right slightly so you never have a static image for a long time. There is usually a menu selection to turn it on/off. It is not noticeable in normal viewing, but if you pick a spot near the corner of the screen and watch it, you will see it move.
post #14 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
What you are seeing is the built in feature of your TV to reduce burn in. Most-or all- plasma TVs had a feature that moved the entire image up-down-left-right slightly so you never have a static image for a long time. There is usually a menu selection to turn it on/off. It is not noticeable in normal viewing, but if you pick a spot near the corner of the screen and watch it, you will see it move.
Sadly, it was turned off for the past 7 years. I just enabled it the other day. I guess I should have RTFM when I got it.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #15 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
One thing I tried that worked was putting my plasma on OTA, setting it to a channel with no signal and letting it run overnight for a few days. The random static pattern seems to work as well as any screen wiper without shutting off after a certain period.
Ya I have run across the static video. I haven't tried running it yet. If I let this run overnight for 8hrs a night, about how many times do you think it would take to see some results. If no results are present, I'll just stop running it at night and go back to watching full screen tv.

My SM Factory Numbers

Last edited by jackal2001; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.
post #16 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First of all I think regular live static is better than the static video. If you look closely at the video in full screen it looks badly compressed and fuzzy. I only posted the video as an example of what you will see on an OTA channel with no local broadcast signal present. When I used actual OTA static it showed much finer resolution and was clearly superior to the video. All you need to do is set your plasma to OTA without an antenna and you should be able to get good static on just about any channel except for a really strong local one.

As far as how long it takes there's really no definitive answer. It varies depending on the type of plasma, persistence of the image, etc. But there's absolutely no harm in running static for 1,000 hours if necessary. Since plasmas are supposed to operate for 100,000 hours or more even 1,000 hours would represent only 1% of your plasma's lifespan. Realistically I would think less than 100 hours would do the job as long as it's persistence and not burn-in.
post #17 of 27 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
First of all I think regular live static is better than the static video. If you look closely at the video in full screen it looks badly compressed and fuzzy. I only posted the video as an example of what you will see on an OTA channel with no local broadcast signal present. When I used actual OTA static it showed much finer resolution and was clearly superior to the video. All you need to do is set your plasma to OTA without an antenna and you should be able to get good static on just about any channel except for a really strong local one.

As far as how long it takes there's really no definitive answer. It varies depending on the type of plasma, persistence of the image, etc. But there's absolutely no harm in running static for 1,000 hours if necessary. Since plasmas are supposed to operate for 100,000 hours or more even 1,000 hours would represent only 1% of your plasma's lifespan. Realistically I would think less than 100 hours would do the job as long as it's persistence and not burn-in.
I don't know if this is possible with a monitor (101-FD). Since it has no tuner if there is no signal I think the screen just goes black.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #18 of 27 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right, you do need a tuner. The 10-hour YouTube video seems to be the best option, then.
post #19 of 27 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 865
There is all kind of stuff on YouTube. Connect laptop/computer using HDMI. Try find a 1080 clip.

post #20 of 27 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
There is all kind of stuff on YouTube. Connect laptop/computer using HDMI. Try find a 1080 clip.
Yep, I tried running a shorter clip last night and selected loop from youtube but when i woke up this morning the pc screensaver was running. I'll try one of the 10hr clips next time. Stupid youtube. I probably have about 12-15hrs of running various screen wipe clip/vids and nothing has changed so far.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #21 of 27 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i had a channel 7 logo on my zt60 for 4 months it finally went away ,but i had to avoid that station

greatone99
post #22 of 27 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
i had a channel 7 logo on my zt60 for 4 months it finally went away ,but i had to avoid that station
Who knows how long this has been there. Could have been a year. I guess if it isn't gone in a few months it will never go away. My mistake the orbiter was never turned on. I guess I never noticed it because it is only visible on almost pure white screens.
I should just try to forget about it and watch TV as normal and think about waiting till next year to replace it if it doesn't clear up.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #23 of 27 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My mistake the orbiter was never turned on. I guess I never noticed it because it is only visible on almost pure white screens.
IMO, all that feature really does is let you burn in a logo with fuzzy edges instead of sharp ones. The best way to prevent it is to watch various programming and avoid stations that have a static logo. No reason why all channels could not do a color changing or rotating logo much like Fox News does. Watch some full screen stuff like Netflix and it will either diminish or go away in a while.
post #24 of 27 Old Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
IMO, all that feature really does is let you burn in a logo with fuzzy edges instead of sharp ones. The best way to prevent it is to watch various programming and avoid stations that have a static logo. No reason why all channels could not do a color changing or rotating logo much like Fox News does. Watch some full screen stuff like Netflix and it will either diminish or go away in a while.
I always thought it might help since the range of screen rotation is pretty big with Orbiter enabled. (Pio 5080HD, Dec 2007) I've had it on since day 1 and haven't experianced anything other than brief IR, TV is used a lot for gaming (Xbox One / PS4 / PC).

For what its worth the burn in doesn't look to intrusive in OPs photo, maybe he can at least get it reduced a little more (or altogether hopefully!).
post #25 of 27 Old Today, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking just to live with it for at least another year or so. Since I didn't notice it before, I should try to forget about it. Since OLEDs are still having banding/vignette issues, I'm going to wait to see what LG does for next year.
I have been trying to run static/screen sweeps/color static/ etc for the past few days and no real change. I'll keep the thread updating in the future if anything changes.

My SM Factory Numbers
post #26 of 27 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I'm thinking just to live with it for at least another year or so. Since I didn't notice it before, I should try to forget about it. Since OLEDs are still having banding/vignette issues, I'm going to wait to see what LG does for next year.
I have been trying to run static/screen sweeps/color static/ etc for the past few days and no real change. I'll keep the thread updating in the future if anything changes.
Yeah, it will take time. I'd be curious to see where it is at in a month or so if you avoid the Discovery channel. As others mentioned, the orbiter will just create "fuzzy" IR and doesn't really help solve/avoid the problem.
post #27 of 27 Old Today, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking just to live with it for at least another year or so. Since I didn't notice it before, I should try to forget about it.
That has probably been there for years and you never saw it. Once you see a problem, you just can not un-see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays