1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2017, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung PN60F5350BF problems

This plasma set is from 2014, but in the summer of 2016 I was asked to take a look at it as it had developed a few lines of distorted pixels along the far right of the screen (see pictures). I can't remember if the lines were still there when there was no input at all. Would their presence without an input source mean a bad panel?

Anyway, everything looked very clean all around, including capacitors (which I knew Samsung had issues with). Some basic troubleshooting led me to the buffer board on the far left (see picture) which is labeled 'E' and contains 4 ribbon cables that attached to the panel. I disconnected the far left two and got two bars of black, as expected. I reconnected them hoping it was a simple re-seating issue, but the lines were back. I disconnected them again and gently cleaned the cables and connectors with isopropyl alcohol and waited about 10 minutes to be sure everything was dry. I reconnected the two cables and got two solid black bars. Nothing I could do brought back an image in that part of the screen. I had cleaned all of the buffer cables this way running along the bottom of the set and they were working just fine, but these two were not. So, I shrugged and set this project aside for a later date.

Fast forward to August, 2017 as I moved the set to my house to try to pick up troubleshooting where I left off. Unfortunately, I found myself a few steps back from before because I am not getting any image at all, now. Again, everything seems clean and I've disconnected and re-seated everything (no cleaning this time) but no effect. The standby LED would come on and it reacted to remote control commands, but that was about it. I did notice that the green LED on the main board was no longer flashing, though. So, I've ordered a new main board and T-CON board which included all of the ribbon cables for $100 which should be here on Monday. I have no idea if this will solve my problem(s), but it might get me back to the "black bars" issue where I suppose only a replacement of the 'E' buffer board would have any chance of reviving this set. I feel reasonably sure this isn't a power or XSUS issue, though I guess I can't rule out the YSUS under the circumstances (wouldn't I lose the entire picture of that board was bad?).

Anyway, I can do some basic diagnostics with my multi-meter, if necessary (and safe). That non-flashing green LED is telling me that there isn't much I can do until that board is replaced, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they'd be most welcome.

Thank you.

---

Note: I just noticed an older post that can be deleted from October 27, 2016 where I noted the screen was totally blank. It can be deleted now, but I'll paste the text below anyway.
--
From 10/27/16

Well, this has been a fun one to work on.

My sister's set, a 60-inch Samsung from 2014 (February), started showing vertical lines on the right of the screen that extended top to bottom. (see pic)

So, I opened it up to see if some cables needed cleaning and/or re-seating on the buffer boards or if it was a bigger problem. Then I somehow made it a bigger problem.
If you look at the second picture, you'll see the innards of the set. On the far left and running across the bottom is a series of buffer boards that are responsible for the vertical image. I tried gentle cleaning and then re-seated the two cables farthest on the left, but saw no change. In fact, disconnecting these did not seem to affect the vertical lines in the least! It just made that part of the screen blank (vertical bars, top to bottom) while leaving the lines intact. Convinced it had to be something else and possibly not the buffer boards at all, I reconnected everything and started it back up. This time, no picture at all for the full screen! Ouch! What did I do?!

Anyway, and advice would be welcome. I imagine I need to replace a board or two, but I don't want to replace anything simply as a diagnostic test. I want to know just what makes those lines do what they're doing and replace just that board, if possible. I am hoping this will "fix" the whole blank screen issue as well, but I can treat that separately if I must, later. Let me know if you need additional pictures in order to offer good advice for me. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170823_133115.jpg (212.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170823_133228.jpg (240.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170823_134736.jpg (72.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170823_134935.jpg (60.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170823_141017.jpg (112.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by knisabre; 08-29-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update - new pictures

Well, I replaced the TCON board (definitely bad) as well as the main board (probably fine). I also replaced all of the ribbon cables and a few others and now have a picture again, of sorts.

The attached images (stills from a 4 second video) show what I'm dealing with now. On the far right, you see the messed up vertical pixels. But now, instead of there being an image under these pixels, it's dark. It appears all 4 ribbon connectors on that buffer are not giving a signal, as I suspected, so I think the board will need to be replaced. But I have a feeling the messed up pixels will remain and as you can see in the pictures, some of the vertical bars from the other buffers are not giving a solid signal either. Should I replace all three boards or is there a bigger issue here that I am missing? Is it possible these boards are actually fine and it's something that's feeding information to them that is the culprit?

Also, I did notice that these ribbon cables were not simply clipped to the boards like others, but there was also paste and what appeared to be a heatsink or just a pad between the cables and the long metal rail that covers all of these boards. Did I mess something up just by removing this rail in the first place? The rest of the screen used to have a perfectly solid image, even as I lost parts of the image (vertical bars) by re-seating these ribbon cables. Now, not so much.

Again, any advice would be very much appreciated. If I can fix this thing, I'll have a nice TV again. It really was nice when it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170828_222627.jpg (316.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_222623.jpg (308.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_222619.jpg (326.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_222650.jpg (334.0 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knisabre View Post
Well, I replaced the TCON board (definitely bad) as well as the main board (probably fine). I also replaced all of the ribbon cables and a few others and now have a picture again, of sorts.

The attached images (stills from a 4 second video) show what I'm dealing with now. On the far right, you see the messed up vertical pixels. But now, instead of there being an image under these pixels, it's dark. It appears all 4 ribbon connectors on that buffer are not giving a signal, as I suspected, so I think the board will need to be replaced. But I have a feeling the messed up pixels will remain and as you can see in the pictures, some of the vertical bars from the other buffers are not giving a solid signal either. Should I replace all three boards or is there a bigger issue here that I am missing? Is it possible these boards are actually fine and it's something that's feeding information to them that is the culprit?

Also, I did notice that these ribbon cables were not simply clipped to the boards like others, but there was also paste and what appeared to be a heatsink or just a pad between the cables and the long metal rail that covers all of these boards. Did I mess something up just by removing this rail in the first place? The rest of the screen used to have a perfectly solid image, even as I lost parts of the image (vertical bars) by re-seating these ribbon cables. Now, not so much.

Again, any advice would be very much appreciated. If I can fix this thing, I'll have a nice TV again. It really was nice when it worked.
Well, I replaced all three y-buffer boards (E F G) as well as the YB-UP and YB-Low address boards. Things just seem to be getting worse. I also smelled a slight burning somewhere, too. OK, then. New YSUS it next. If this doesn't work, I'm probably done with this set. It's not worth the time or money to keep guessing like this and no one here seems to know what's going on (or are keeping very quiet about it).

post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
@knisabre , the plasma forum here has slowly tapered off in activity since plasmas went out of production. There used to be many people here with good technical knowledge but many have moved on so it's not so easy to get technical questions answered. I happen to own the exact same model you do but am totally unqualified to be digging around inside and replacing parts. So I just keep my fingers crossed that no issues arise until OLED comes way down in price.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@knisabre , the plasma forum here has slowly tapered off in activity since plasmas went out of production. There used to be many people here with good technical knowledge but many have moved on so it's not so easy to get technical questions answered. I happen to own the exact same model you do but am totally unqualified to be digging around inside and replacing parts. So I just keep my fingers crossed that no issues arise until OLED comes way down in price.
Ah, thanks for replying. That should have occurred to me, since I was surprised this 2014 model was a plasma in the first place. Is your TV still working well? This one I'm working on is the one my sister bought after I convinced my parents to buy one since the price at the time was quite low for a set of its size (theirs still works).

My sister got another Samsung 60" last summer and it stopped working just yesterday, right in front of my eyes (UN60J620DA). Standby light just blinks. It's only a year old and she got an extended warranty, but still. I'm really starting to think of Samsung like I did in the 80s with their VCRs.

I'm hoping this YSUS I have on its way does the trick for me. I've had better luck soldering in my old plasma LG (also 60") than I've had replacing entire boards in these Samsungs. I'll post the results of the board swap. I have a horrible feeling it's the panel itself and it's only good for parts itself, now.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My PN60F5350BF continues to work flawlessly (fingers crossed). It replaced an older 50" LG plasma (50PK540) that I moved to another room, and the LG is also issue-free. It's hard to tell exactly what percentage of these plasmas fail prematurely because many owners only post here when they're having a problem. Between me and my wife we probably have the Samsung running about 10 hours a day and now have over 8,700 hours on it. For serious movie viewing at night we have a Sony HW45ES projector with 100" screen for a more cinematic experience.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Waste?

There are 10 boards inside this thing and I have replaced 9 of them and the picture gets worse every time. It's as if disconnecting and re-seating a ribbon cable is rocket science. I've got black vertical bars covering both left and right, though center is visible and fuzzy. The lines of pixels on the right are still there, even if there is no image. I'm beginning to think the panel is bad and I've just been wasting money on boards.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by knisabre View Post
I'm beginning to think the panel is bad and I've just been wasting money on boards.
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having and you did answer your own question.

I too own this same model and thankfully I am not having any issues. I am disappointed that you haven't owned this TV long and you are having issues. Dating my self I had a tube tv for 20 years and no issues ever. Why can't we get good life out of the overprices TV's we use today. (Yes I know this a rhetorical question).

I am hoping I get several more years out of this TV even though I do have the bug bad to buy a 4K TV. Oled is just too expensive for me right now.

Good Luck
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I think I found evidence of the original issue with this TV. One of the ribbon cables on the lower left (facing screen) that connects the panel to the 'E' buffer board has some damage. But even if I managed to fix that (if possible) I seem to be looking at a case of Everything I Do Makes Things Worse.

Is there a simple test for a bad panel?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I take it this model is similar to the PF5300 ?
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I take it this model is similar to the PF5300 ?
Identical. Samsung just gave a slightly different model number to the PF5300s sold by Costco. They even use the same firmware.
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Identical. Samsung just gave a slightly different model number to the PF5300s sold by Costco. They even use the same firmware.
Yeah, what Dave said. I've been able to use parts meant for either the PN60F5350BF or PN60F5300BF. It was a CostCo purchase.

I think the "BF" must stand for Bricks Fast. Two years after manufacture and just over one year after purchase, the panel started to go bad. Samsung's response was "sorry" and "take it to be repaired" knowing full well the cost would outweigh the purchase of a new set. They've been sued before and lost, though not for this particular model (yet). I should probably just start selling off parts on eBay. I could also take the entire thing and its extra parts to a local repair shop, see what they'll give me for everything. Geez, Samsung.

I'm attaching a pic of the ribbon cable that apparently spontaneously went bad. I just wish I had noticed it before I went off buying parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170925_121542.jpg (227.6 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
bad boards , bad panel , no image , plasma , samsung 60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page