Plasma Sellers - Let's talk.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Plasma Sellers - Let's talk..

*Full disclosure - I have just sold my PN60F8500 and I'm in the market for the 64" version*

The purpose of this post is to get the plasma economy going. Before you argue the case for plasma, just know that I am with you - I loved the picture on my F8500 and think it still has the best balance of picture attributes, which is why I am making the lateral move to the 64". What I find hard to swallow is the prices being asked for used sets. We need to get real: while plasma is excellent in many ways, you will be lucky to find buyers in the four figures for your premium plasma.

When consumers can pop into a big box store and buy a brand new 2017, 65 inch, 4k HDR LED TV that comes with a return policy and manufacture's warranty for $800 they are not going to give your plasma a first glance, let alone a second. The more discerning buyers like us, are planning to do what you are doing: reserving the big bucks spending budget for the next great thing which is OLED. You will be hard pressed to find someone to fork out serious money for a five+ year old 1080p set that is no longer the market reference standard. Plasma's king of the market Kuro black glory days are gone.

The people who are looking to buy your plasma are people like me who want to stick with plasma for a bit longer, those whose set broke and want to replace it, and the people who followed the plasma reviews five years ago and would not mind getting their hands on one. Either I do not see any of these groups wanting to outlay any serious money for one. When I put my 60" plasma on the market I was confident that my precious would easily command at least $1k. After studying the market I realized that it was just wishful thinking. General consumers in the classifieds such as Craiglist regard them much like rear projection technology and would pick an LED over a plasma. Despite my love for plasma I would still balk at passing up on 4k, bigger screen size and latest technology for one. The only thing that will make it worthwhile for me is price.

To sum up, if you want to make some money off your plasma you need to price it to sell, especially with the big sales of the holiday season round the corner. There are going to be sellers who have great pride in their plasma's holding out for buyers who will not come. They will end up having to give their beloved plasmas to grandma.
Ozymandis, humbland, Djoel and 3 others like this.
impreza276 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 128 Old 09-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Excellent post and good topic. Your right the market is much better for the buyer than the seller. Often you will see the great Plasma's(VT60, ZT60, Kuros, Samsung 8500) being offered for well over a grand and just sit there. The KRP-600M I bought was listed for $1200 and I offered him $500 and we settled at $550. I would rather have this set than any LCD in the world. Typical consumers don't understand and never will. There's a 65ZT60 with 1200 hrs on it right now on my Craigslist. He started at $2000 and now down to $1500. It will sit until he gets down to at least $1000.
impreza276 and sickkent like this.

Last edited by Test Ickles; 09-05-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #3 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wish every owner a great sale. After all I was in the same boat only a few days ago. Having gone through the plasma journey I know how passionate and attached to these displays we are, and how difficult it is to take a hit on something we thought was golden only a moment ago.

I have a friend with great work experience who was back on the job market. He put out his resume which looked fine to him, but he was not getting responses. I have had to review resumes for jobs in my department. I helped him adjust his resume according to what I knew an employer like me was looking for. He got a ton of responses and hooked up a job in no time.

The moral of the story is put yourself in the eyes of a buyer and ask yourself, what would make your set worth buying over the other options out there.
sickkent likes this.
impreza276 is online now  
 
post #4 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You see this a lot in the used car market as well... Take the Mercury Marauder.. to the rest of the world it is just a suped up Grand Marquis... but MM owners think they are sitting on an original Shelby Cobra plated in gold. They ask twice the actual value of the vehicle, and it only ends up selling to a dealership or to other Marauder owners.

Anyone else who is a would be buyer is turned off and keeps looking. Happens in home theater displays, happens in automobiles.. happens everywhere.

Price to sell or be prepared to sit on it, especially when from the buyers perspective, there is something better available for less money.
impreza276 and Bruce2019 like this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
jasondjulian is offline  
post #5 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Number_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where are the best places to look, for used plasmas in good condition? The ones I find on Ebay are usually "local pickup only", and I don't have very good luck with Craigslist. Most online retailers seem to be long out of supply--even refurb units.

It's kind of hard to even put a fair price on used plasmas; I'd be interested in something like a 50" Panasonic S60 or ST60 series from 2013. Even when new, you could get the S60 for something like $700. I'd be willing to pay $350 or so, for a unit in good condition. Maybe more if it came from a source with a solid return policy or guarantee.
Number_6 is offline  
post #6 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Where are the best places to look, for used plasmas in good condition? The ones I find on Ebay are usually "local pickup only", and I don't have very good luck with Craigslist. Most online retailers seem to be long out of supply--even refurb units.

It's kind of hard to even put a fair price on used plasmas; I'd be interested in something like a 50" Panasonic S60 or ST60 series from 2013. Even when new, you could get the S60 for something like $700. I'd be willing to pay $350 or so, for a unit in good condition. Maybe more if it came from a source with a solid return policy or guarantee.
There are plenty in the classified section of this forum. I'd trust those most!
impreza276 is online now  
post #7 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 21,797
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Word of caution:

Please do not turn this into a classified thread. If there is an offer to buy or sell we'll have to delete the thread and the person posting will receive an infraction. Forum rules still apply.

Last edited by rboster; 09-06-2017 at 04:18 PM.
rboster is online now  
post #8 of 128 Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Post production, I overpaid for a display 55" VT60 and approximately one month later bought a second hand 65" VT60 with zero hours for less than I paid for the 55". The 55" has pretty much been sitting since I got the 65". I can't imagine selling the 55" for what I could get for it, so I'm keeping it until it's an antique.
B T C is online now  
post #9 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thumbs up

Hear, hear! Well said, and I agree. Look, asking $1k for a display that could fail any time, with no warranty and limited repair options, just isn't going to happen. There's a limited market for these sets, and that market is basically fans of plasma display picture quality. I've sold two plasmas on Craigslist, one here on AVS. All of these were priced to move and went to HT fans who enjoy this tech. But I see other people asking for absurd prices and their sets just sit for month after month. OP, I'm in the same area as you and I see the same sets on Craigslist for month after month. In the classifieds here as well. Asking brand new OLED money for a 3-5 year old plasma (8 years old for Kuros!) is just not realistic and you will find limited takers.

It's a buyer's market for plasma TVs. While they aren't making any more, their value has depreciated with the rise of reasonably-priced OLEDs from LG that have even better black levels. Not saying that plasma doesn't still give a great picture; I bought two plasmas this year and I'm still looking for an F8500 myself, but around $500 is my cap.
Bruce2019 and sickkent like this.

OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Ozymandis is online now  
post #10 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Hear, hear! Well said, and I agree. Look, asking $1k for a display that could fail any time, with no warranty and limited repair options, just isn't going to happen. There's a limited market for these sets, and that market is basically fans of plasma display picture quality. I've sold two plasmas on Craigslist, one here on AVS. All of these were priced to move and went to HT fans who enjoy this tech. But I see other people asking for absurd prices and their sets just sit for month after month. OP, I'm in the same area as you and I see the same sets on Craigslist for month after month. In the classifieds here as well. Asking brand new OLED money for a 3-5 year old plasma (8 years old for Kuros!) is just not realistic and you will find limited takers.

It's a buyer's market for plasma TVs. While they aren't making any more, their value has depreciated with the rise of reasonably-priced OLEDs from LG that have even better black levels. Not saying that plasma doesn't still give a great picture; I bought two plasmas this year and I'm still looking for an F8500 myself, but around $500 is my cap.
Great post. I agree completely. I've been keeping an eye on the market for some time now (really, a solid 2+ years), checking in and looking at prices periodically. Sellers are completely delusional and are suffering from the fallacy (the name escapes me atm) of thinking that just because they bought/value something at 'X' that that is what the market will/should pay. The reality of the situation says otherwise- I get flabbergasted at these people trying to sell the VT/ZT/8500 for $1.5-2k (sometimes even more if NIB). So you want me to pay the same price that I could practically get a brand new OLED for when I could largely be screwed if something fails on the TV? If plasma was still going or getting support from manufacturers, then ok, I could still kind of buy that, but no way today. Better hope you can find a board on eBay or something. And if it's the panel? Good night. I got my 2 51F8500s NIB at the very end of their run for right at $1200 or so, but you want me to pay around that for a used item out of warranty and several years older now? Very out of touch with reality, lol.

Another perspective I could see, however, is some just throwing it up on the market and seeing if anybody will bite. As in, they don't really need/want to sell it, but if they can get a sucker for that price, then yeah, they'll part with it. If not, nbd, they still enjoy the TV and have no problem keeping it. However, if people are really trying to sell it, the gap between buyers and sellers has quite the chasm to bridge.

Samsung 64F8500| OPPO 93| Amazon Fire TV
Samsung 51F8500| OPPO 93| WiiU
Samsung 51F8500| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One
sickkent is online now  
post #11 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Member
 
192darkhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Hopefully, this does not seem like a hijack for personal use, I feel that this is relevant to this discussion, and would love yours all feedback.

Recently had the military move me out to California for grad school, upon arrival my flawless condition (outside of an occasional brightness pop) PN64D7000 had black bars across the screen from being damaged in the move, diagnosed as unrepairable (for an economical price). As part of the claims process, I am going to get about 3K reimbursement for the tv being damaged.

Here is the deal with the TV, I hardly ever use it. I mean ever. I love the size and don’t ever want to go below 64/65 for main room television. The only thing I ever watch is sports, and outside of college and pro football or ESPN I never even turn it on. My girlfriend doesn’t watch it much either, and when she does its just TV shows. We hardly watch movies at all and I don’t have a cinema, no over the top sound system, it’s a fairly bright room, I don’t have proper lighting etc.

I researched the hell out of TV’s back in 2012 when I bought this, and I was convinced then and still am now that Plasma is the best picture except for OLED but I do not want to drop that kind of money yet because I do like the size.

I would love to replace this TV with something of equal size and quality and maybe even put some money back in the bank. Since I love plasma, I was thinking to try to find a used but good condition quality 8500 or VT/ZT and was thinking Id have to pay 1-1.5K. I would kind like to keep the budget around that 1-1.2k. I would never have changed TV’s if this Samsung had not been broken. This way I replace the size, the plasma picture, get a “top of the line” tv, albeit 2012, but still, my Samsung was beautiful, and save some cash.
However, the more and more I read / think, I wasn’t considering the wear on the TV (hours on the panel), and the fact that there is no warranty and difficult to fix. Also Im reading a lot of guys in the ZT thread talk about IR burn being especially bad.

Also exactly in line with what you are saying im seeing 65ZT’s for 1500, there’s an 8500 that’s practically new but the guy wants 2K.

If you guys were me what would you do? Im not against going LED, I just always thought the plasma picture was better. If the price is comparable id still rather have a plasma. The Samsung I just lost had under 500 hours.

Thanks for your time and appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by 192darkhorse; 09-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
192darkhorse is offline  
post #12 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 192darkhorse View Post
Also exactly in line with what you are saying im seeing 65ZT’s for 1500, there’s an 8500 that’s practically new but the guy wants 2K.

If you guys were me what would you do? Im not against going LED, I just always thought the plasma picture was better. If the price is comparable id still rather have a plasma. The Samsung I just lost had under 500 hours.

Thanks for your time and appreciate the feedback.
For $3k you can get a 65" OLED with a warranty. That's the route I would go. With a used plasma, it might die on you. For me, my cap for a used display is $500-600. $1500-2000 for a used plasma is just nuts. The OLED should last for years and you'll have perfect blacks, plus it's got HDR and 4K. And you say you watch sports in a bright room. The OLED is MUCH brighter than any plasma ever made.
sickkent and Mike Corrieri like this.

OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Ozymandis is online now  
post #13 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I gave my daughter my panasonic GT50 so she would have an ok hdtv for her apartment.

I think that 4K surpasses what plasma does. Even my non-HDR 4k 65" Sony XBR 950B leaves me wanting nothing - it was a serious upgrade. I ran the Panasonic in the bedroom for a bit but finally decided it's a dinosaur, and let's not even talk about how grainy the TV reception looked. There's a 49" Samsung KS8000 (4k HDR) sitting in there now - again, it lacks nothing.

Used plasma pricing is ridiculous considering the competition now in used HDR 4k Sets. I agree that at the time plasma ruled supreme they blew the competition away.

Now? They are dinosaurs living past the extinction event. There is nothing that will bring them back; their time is done. Save your money.
Mike Corrieri is offline  
post #14 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,363
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 419
This thread popped up just in time, my Samsung PN64D7000 of 5 years just went up in smoke! (Literally) I'm having a hard time imagining staring at anything other than a hard glass panel.
So I did what most of us on this thread naturally would do, started to look into the use market and noticed what is being discuss here as well. Pricey screens!


I first thought I would get it fixed, but getting opinions about going this route seemed silly to a few as I should just go with a new TV.
Like I mentioned above not sure if I want to go with a new tech screen, glad to hear I'm not the only one in this dilemma. Hopefully I can find something near me at a good low price to hold me up for a few more years.


A bit off topic.
I purchased my TV through Amazon (World Wide Stereo) vendor, I don't recall any warranty talk as other times purchasing Pioneer before the Samsung does anyone know if Amazon would include warranty or if I had to buy it separately! I gotta go hunt for my receipts and see what's the deal!


Thanks


Djoel
Djoel is offline  
post #15 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corrieri View Post
I gave my daughter my panasonic GT50 so she would have an ok hdtv for her apartment.

I think that 4K surpasses what plasma does. Even my non-HDR 4k 65" Sony XBR 950B leaves me wanting nothing - it was a serious upgrade. I ran the Panasonic in the bedroom for a bit but finally decided it's a dinosaur, and let's not even talk about how grainy the TV reception looked. There's a 49" Samsung KS8000 (4k HDR) sitting in there now - again, it lacks nothing.

Used plasma pricing is ridiculous considering the competition now in used HDR 4k Sets. I agree that at the time plasma ruled supreme they blew the competition away.

Now? They are dinosaurs living past the extinction event. There is nothing that will bring them back; their time is done. Save your money.
Well, the argument I'd make is this- no current or past LCD, not Sony's $5k Z9D, and certainly not Samsung's $4k edge-lit Q9F, can match these used plasma sets for black level. Pioneer had better black level in 2008 units, and Panasonic had better black level in their 2011+ lines... Samsung around 2012 I believe? 4K is ok, HDR is IMO more of a selling point, but for those of us who mostly do dark room/movie and game media consumption, the LCDs are a hard sell for their gray/inconsistent blacks. I'd rather have a Samsung 64F8500 or 65VT/ZT60 than any LCD.

At $1500, though, you can get a Vizio P-series, with HDR and 4K, and fairly good black level. With a return policy and warranty. So that's pretty crazy to me lol, paying that for a used display with guarantees.
sickkent likes this.

OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Ozymandis is online now  
post #16 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Well, the argument I'd make is this- no current or past LCD, not Sony's $5k Z9D, and certainly not Samsung's $4k edge-lit Q9F, can match these used plasma sets for black level. Pioneer had better black level in 2008 units, and Panasonic had better black level in their 2011+ lines... Samsung around 2012 I believe? 4K is ok, HDR is IMO more of a selling point, but for those of us who mostly do dark room/movie and game media consumption, the LCDs are a hard sell for their gray/inconsistent blacks. I'd rather have a Samsung 64F8500 or 65VT/ZT60 than any LCD.

At $1500, though, you can get a Vizio P-series, with HDR and 4K, and fairly good black level. With a return policy and warranty. So that's pretty crazy to me lol, paying that for a used display with guarantees.
I visited Best Buy to catch up with what's new in the TV world. I must say that the good LEDs have gotten very good at blacks. I'm on the verge of skipping the whole idea of sticking to plasma. 4k, 75inches and a slim screen that is robust and not susceptible to burn in are becoming too tempting to pass on.
impreza276 is online now  
post #17 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strangely, I am not impressed. The blurry frames, and the slight lack of contrast still seem to be part of all LCD/OLED televisions. Especially at higher resolutions. I think I would want a 4K LCD projector first just get even a frame rate. If I am not mistaken, red burns in faster than blue. What color is the biggest phosphor on a CRT? Does anyone know?
DLPfuture is offline  
post #18 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corrieri View Post
I gave my daughter my panasonic GT50 so she would have an ok hdtv for her apartment.

I think that 4K surpasses what plasma does. Even my non-HDR 4k 65" Sony XBR 950B leaves me wanting nothing - it was a serious upgrade. I ran the Panasonic in the bedroom for a bit but finally decided it's a dinosaur, and let's not even talk about how grainy the TV reception looked. There's a 49" Samsung KS8000 (4k HDR) sitting in there now - again, it lacks nothing.

Used plasma pricing is ridiculous considering the competition now in used HDR 4k Sets. I agree that at the time plasma ruled supreme they blew the competition away.

Now? They are dinosaurs living past the extinction event. There is nothing that will bring them back; their time is done. Save your money.
The great Plasma's mentioned are better than any current LCD. So just because they don't make them anymore does not make them dinosaurs. Your under rating that GT50 as an "ok tv". 4k HDR is cool I admit but I find myself watching that kind of material less than 5% of the time on my OLED and I'm sure that's probably true for most users.
sickkent likes this.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #19 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It also seems lame to troll for 4K on LCDs when there isn't much 4K content, and when 4K, I assume, works better on projectors.
DLPfuture is offline  
post #20 of 128 Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Don't forget the upscaling advantage of 4k on large screens for HD content.
impreza276 is online now  
post #21 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Don't forget the upscaling advantage of 4k on large screens for HD content.
^^^^^ THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^^

+ 4K gaming.
+ gaming without burn in

If you want that old plasma pay no more than $500. Save your money for a nex-gen HDTV.

Last edited by Mike Corrieri; 09-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Mike Corrieri is offline  
post #22 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As for LED black levels - here is the review comparing my refurb demo tv from best buy, costing under $1000 versus a plasma...

https://hdtvsandmore.com/sonys-xbr-6...parison-review

Point being that black levels on the best LEDs are right up there with plasma already, and available for less than $1500. I question any plasma tv being that much money.

Last edited by Mike Corrieri; 09-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Mike Corrieri is offline  
post #23 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I visited Best Buy to catch up with what's new in the TV world. I must say that the good LEDs have gotten very good at blacks. I'm on the verge of skipping the whole idea of sticking to plasma. 4k, 75inches and a slim screen that is robust and not susceptible to burn in are becoming too tempting to pass on.
The new LCDs aren't terrible at blacks (maybe the Q9F is) but in a black room, darker than BB, you'll notice the difference. The Z9D and the Vizio P65, which I believe have the best black levels of current LCDs, by the numbers still haven't matched the last-gen plasmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPfuture View Post
Strangely, I am not impressed. The blurry frames, and the slight lack of contrast still seem to be part of all LCD/OLED televisions. Especially at higher resolutions. I think I would want a 4K LCD projector first just get even a frame rate. If I am not mistaken, red burns in faster than blue. What color is the biggest phosphor on a CRT? Does anyone know?
I've never heard of any color burning in faster on plasma. For OLED it's yellow?

LCD/OLED are sample-and-hold displays versus plasma's low persistence. They blur on motion. It's part of the whole deal sadly.

OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Ozymandis is online now  
post #24 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I've never owned an LCD television, but the biggest issue I've noticed on the sets I've watched is motion blur. For me, it can ruin the viewing experience, particularly when it comes to sports, which probably comprises the bulk of my LCD viewing. Perhaps some LCD sets handle motion better than others.
B T C is online now  
post #25 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Corrieri View Post
As for LED black levels - here is the review comparing my refurb demo tv from best buy, costing under $1000 versus a plasma...

https://hdtvsandmore.com/sonys-xbr-6...parison-review

Point being that black levels on the best LEDs are right up there with plasma already, and available for less than $1500. I question any plasma tv being that much money.
"Regarding black levels, all I can say is WOW! The black levels were equal to the best plasmas I have seen."

They did not provide any measurements. It cannot beat a Panasonic VT60 or a Kuro KRP-500M for example. Plus you have to put up with the fact that it's an LCD.
Test Ickles is offline  
post #26 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
"Regarding black levels, all I can say is WOW! The black levels were equal to the best plasmas I have seen."

They did not provide any measurements. It cannot beat a Panasonic VT60 or a Kuro KRP-500M for example.
Here's the measurements: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbr65...1407223857.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Plus you have to put up with the fact that it's an LCD.
And you have to put up with 1080p low resolution content on a big screen and shutter yourself in a room like a vampire. To each his own.

$500 is what they're worth today. Not a penny more.
fatuglyguy likes this.

Last edited by Mike Corrieri; 09-08-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Mike Corrieri is offline  
post #27 of 128 Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Yeah, I check eBay and the local Craigslist every so often and people are insane with what they're asking for plasmas -- they're still selling them as if it was 2012-2014. Affordable OLED (along with 4K and HDR) has effectively killed plasma. People still trying to get 1.5-2k for a ~9 year old Pioneer are out of touch with what year we're in.

I was a huge proponent of (and still really love) plasma, owned quite a few of them. Got my A1E in June, sold my 60" ZT60 to a friend for $400 (still warrantied until 10/18!) and really don't miss it at all. The A1E is pretty much better in every way, save for motion, but it's really not worlds apart...there have probably only been a handful of occasions where I've noticed that the motion isn't on par with my old plasma. So it's hard for me to relate to the plasma romanticism at this point.

I would still take a well-taken care of 101FD or 500M and throw it in the bedroom since I never had the pleasure of owning a Pioneer, but not at the crackpot prices people are asking.
impreza276 and sickkent like this.

desktop + headphone Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T Zero|Sony UDA-1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10|Sony NW-A35
ht Sony A1E 65" OLED|Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Sony UBP-X1000ES|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT|Panamax M-5100PM
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony 43" X800D|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #28 of 128 Old 09-10-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,410
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
imo, there is a large gap between buyers and sellers in this market

as an owner, the only way i would sell mine is if i got enough to replace it with a new oled. so if somebody wants to give me 4grand for my 64, i'd consider it

as a buyer, i don't believe that electronics should ever go up in price, and i usually start at about 50% of MSRP. so a 64" f8500 is worth at most about $1500


the problem is, the people who don't like plasma, sold them a long time ago. so the only people left with them, tend to be owners who appreciate them, and don't really want to replace them with a 'new uhd lcd' that's inferior in nearly every way, which is why the asking prices are not super reasonable

at the end of it, i realize that my f8500 is worth far more to me, than any potential buyer, which is why i intend to keep it indefinitely

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #29 of 128 Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,410
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 192darkhorse View Post
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Hopefully, this does not seem like a hijack for personal use, I feel that this is relevant to this discussion, and would love yours all feedback.

Recently had the military move me out to California for grad school, upon arrival my flawless condition (outside of an occasional brightness pop) PN64D7000 had black bars across the screen from being damaged in the move, diagnosed as unrepairable (for an economical price). As part of the claims process, I am going to get about 3K reimbursement for the tv being damaged.

Here is the deal with the TV, I hardly ever use it. I mean ever. I love the size and don’t ever want to go below 64/65 for main room television. The only thing I ever watch is sports, and outside of college and pro football or ESPN I never even turn it on. My girlfriend doesn’t watch it much either, and when she does its just TV shows. We hardly watch movies at all and I don’t have a cinema, no over the top sound system, it’s a fairly bright room, I don’t have proper lighting etc.

I researched the hell out of TV’s back in 2012 when I bought this, and I was convinced then and still am now that Plasma is the best picture except for OLED but I do not want to drop that kind of money yet because I do like the size.

I would love to replace this TV with something of equal size and quality and maybe even put some money back in the bank. Since I love plasma, I was thinking to try to find a used but good condition quality 8500 or VT/ZT and was thinking Id have to pay 1-1.5K. I would kind like to keep the budget around that 1-1.2k. I would never have changed TV’s if this Samsung had not been broken. This way I replace the size, the plasma picture, get a “top of the line” tv, albeit 2012, but still, my Samsung was beautiful, and save some cash.
However, the more and more I read / think, I wasn’t considering the wear on the TV (hours on the panel), and the fact that there is no warranty and difficult to fix. Also Im reading a lot of guys in the ZT thread talk about IR burn being especially bad.

Also exactly in line with what you are saying im seeing 65ZT’s for 1500, there’s an 8500 that’s practically new but the guy wants 2K.

If you guys were me what would you do? Im not against going LED, I just always thought the plasma picture was better. If the price is comparable id still rather have a plasma. The Samsung I just lost had under 500 hours.

Thanks for your time and appreciate the feedback.

there's plenty of ways to look at this...

one way is that you are able to replace a used, out of warranty d7000 with a significantly better, slightly newer f8500 AND get paid 1000bux to do it.


if you break it down, 2000 for an f8500 isn't awesome, but getting 3000 for a used d7000 is amazing! so whatever you do, you're starting off with a huge win imo. even if you go brand new oled, the insurance company is basically gifting you 2500 bux

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #30 of 128 Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,410
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I visited Best Buy to catch up with what's new in the TV world. I must say that the good LEDs have gotten very good at blacks. I'm on the verge of skipping the whole idea of sticking to plasma. 4k, 75inches and a slim screen that is robust and not susceptible to burn in are becoming too tempting to pass on.
make sure you view one in home before you're unable to return it. i tried 4 times before giving up. what looks great at the store looks unwatchable in my theater. it seems like most LED's just keep getting brighter and brighter, making the blacks APPEAR darker(better contrast), but when i get the set home, in a light controlled room, and calibrate the display, the same old issues still pop up, for me.
BruZZi and impreza276 like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off