Panasonic TH-42PA20 shut down issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1019 Old 09-14-2003, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While watching my Panny today, I heard a nasty whinning sound for about 5 seconds and then the Display powered off . It was a very high pitched sound followed by the power cutting off. I was unable to turn the power back on until I unplugged the display and waited a few minutes to power it back on. Since this occured this afternoon, it has happened three times since. ANy ideas what may be going on? Thank you.

Cabber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1019 Old 09-15-2003, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

bump

Cabber
post #3 of 1019 Old 09-15-2003, 09:08 AM

Note: This is also posted in another, similar thread:

Cabber,
As I mentioned in my PM, Panasonic is coming on Wednesday to repair the TV, replacing modules 5 and 7, which the tech said cost > $800 apiece. I spoke with a manager, who suggested they might replace the TV or refund me if the repair does not solve the problem, but that could only be authorized after at least one service attempt. Does anyone here know what modules 5 and/or 7 are on the 42PA20? Or have any other suggestions to press Panasonic for a satisfactory resolution? I certainly hope the repair solves the issue, as the PQ when the TV works is excellent, but I'm not too happy about having a 2-month-old TV that requires such a large repair.
post #4 of 1019 Old 09-17-2003, 11:25 PM

any update on this, jba87?
post #5 of 1019 Old 09-18-2003, 05:58 AM

Not yet, they postponed the service call until Friday. Will update then--if they don't postpone again.
post #6 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bump...

Same problem here, what's the deal with this???
post #7 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 07:34 AM

Sorry for not posting sooner. My TV was repaired in home by an authorized tech, then had the exact same problem the day after repair. It was then sent to the factory for service (Panasonic would not replace it) and is expected back today, a few weeks later. (I've now been without a functional TV for 6 weeks). I will report back to let you know if they successfully addressed the issue this time.
post #8 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 07:53 AM

I was under the impression that this diode problem was well documented within Panasonic and replaceable on a house call basis. Hopefully this is still the case.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=panny

"Technically speaking, this is part of a protection circuit that shuts down the PDP if any of the working voltages dip below 75% of their nominal value.
This particular problem is due to the shutdown circuit being too anxious to do its job. It had to be mellowed a bit, made less sensitive, given an electronic traquilizer if you will.

All units since Sept 1 production have had the improved parts. More than 99% of the original parts stock were well within specification and will last as long if not longer than the new ones.

All service parts and boards have been changed to the newer stock.

To answer your question, the consumer group will probably send an authorized servicer with a replacement module if needed to perform the update on site. Broadcast units may be serviced at any of the regional centers and also at authorized Broadcast service centers now in some major cities nationwide. Check with your nearest region for locations."
post #9 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:

Originally posted by jba87
(I've now been without a functional TV for 6 weeks). I will report back to let you know if they successfully addressed the issue this time.

this is really a troubling report

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #10 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 AM

Mark,
Yes, this issue has been troubling--and incredibly frustrating, given that I've been without a working TV for 6 weeks on a unit that was 7 weeks old when this issue first occured. I tried everything I could, but they would not replace or refund the TV, even after the first repair didn't work. In my case, they did replace the entire module, but it didn't take. After having the unit on for 2-3 hours, it shut off again repeatedly. They said that sending the unit to the factory was the most expeditious and best way to resolve the issue, rather than keep sending people to my house. I was told by the tech that the entire process from pickup to return would take 5 days. Well, it's 2 1/2 weeks since they picked the unit up (3 1/2 weeks since they said it would have to be sent to the factory)...and the TV is scheduled for delivery to the local service center today. Hopefully they'll deliver it tonight, but when I called to give the tech a heads up that the unit was on its way he responded by hanging up on me. I'm crossing my fingers this fix took, otherwise I'll have to prepare for more (and I've already had my fair share of) headaches dealing with Panasonic.
post #11 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about your Panny woes...

Does anyone know if the 37inch version of this model is also afflicted with this problem?? If so, maybe I should be worried (the set I have has a July manufacture date).
post #12 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by markrubin
this is really a troubling report

I agree. Seems to me that in this particular case at least, Panasonic is going so far out of its way to not replace the unit that they've probably spent about the same amount of money.

I think at this stage I'd be escalating this as far up the chain as I could.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #13 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by jba87
Mark,
Yes, this issue has been troubling--and incredibly frustrating, given that I've been without a working TV for 6 weeks on a unit that was 7 weeks old when this issue first occured. I tried everything I could, but they would not replace or refund the TV, even after the first repair didn't work. In my case, they did replace the entire module, but it didn't take. After having the unit on for 2-3 hours, it shut off again repeatedly. They said that sending the unit to the factory was the most expeditious and best way to resolve the issue, rather than keep sending people to my house. I was told by the tech that the entire process from pickup to return would take 5 days. Well, it's 2 1/2 weeks since they picked the unit up (3 1/2 weeks since they said it would have to be sent to the factory)...and the TV is scheduled for delivery to the local service center today. Hopefully they'll deliver it tonight, but when I called to give the tech a heads up that the unit was on its way he responded by hanging up on me. I'm crossing my fingers this fix took, otherwise I'll have to prepare for more (and I've already had my fair share of) headaches dealing with Panasonic.

could you tell us the location of the service center that hung up on you?

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #14 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Wow,

I hope I don't have to go through the same trouble as you. I would be extremely peeved if that was the rediculous service Panasonic gave me. I've had my TV for about 7 weeks, just like you (july/03 prod date) and just recently it started acting up. Called the local service today, and they said they're not even sure they can service plasmas because they haven't done it before. Uhh ohh, things aren't looking too great from the start
post #15 of 1019 Old 10-16-2003, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Amir
[B
I've had my TV for about 7 weeks, just like you (july/03 prod date) [/b]

Can you say how to determine the production date of a Panasonic plasma display? I've poked around the back to the display a bit looking for the production date, and have not found it, but I might not have looked hard enough, or in any of the right places.
post #16 of 1019 Old 10-17-2003, 08:22 AM

Maybe we should start tracking serial numbers of the units...
post #17 of 1019 Old 10-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverWolf
Maybe we should start tracking serial numbers of the units...

good idea:

someone might want to start a new thread for this purpose

I think we need to get the attention of the higher ups to get this issue resolved

post #18 of 1019 Old 10-17-2003, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by shadowspawn
Can you say how to determine the production date of a Panasonic plasma display? I've poked around the back to the display a bit looking for the production date, and have not found it, but I might not have looked hard enough, or in any of the right places.

It's on the little plate on the back that has the serial number.
post #19 of 1019 Old 10-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I've had mine for almost 8 weeks, no problems.
production date is June 2003. I swear if this
jinxes me, I'm gonna be so pissed!

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #20 of 1019 Old 10-17-2003, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimSD
It's on the little plate on the back that has the serial number.

... which is just barely completely covered by my mounting plate...

DOH!
post #21 of 1019 Old 10-18-2003, 02:42 PM

This diode problem will effect anyone with a 2003 model Panny that was manufacturer early.

The TH-42PA20U ED Plasma came out in early July. The diode problem was discovered soon after. But there were already hundreds of plasmas in the sales pipeline.

I have a feeling that any large vendor like Electrograph, CC, or BB may have dozen's of these defective plasma's in their warehouses. I doubt that Panasonic is recalling these early production plasma's and replacing them with fixed models.

Therefore, Panasonic is trying to "fix" them once they get to consumers with a service call. I doubt they are fixing them in the warehouses of CC and BB before they get to consumers. That would make too much sense.

I smell a Microsoft-like contempt for consumers. Not to go off on a tangent.
That new Tarantino move "Kill Bill" is really about Uma Thurmon chasing down Bill Gates....

A Warning to all TH-42PA20U/TH-37PA20U/TH-42PX20U owners to possibly include commercial 6UY owners.

- If the manufacturing date is before July 2003 get your unit replaced after a stress test.
- A manufacturing date of August 2003 may still be a problem. Perform a stress test.
- September 2003 and later seems to be OK.

We got burned by being early adaptors of these new Panny Plasma's.
Plus I am sure you paid MSRP. $1500 over the current price.

Stress test: Leave the plasma On for 1-2 days and see if there is a shutdown. Be careful, with burn in. Make sure the source material is widescreen or stretched. (HD PBS or Discovery).

Alternately, go to where you purchased your plasma at night and ask the salesman if the unit has been shutting down. Then check the manufacturing date on the label in back with the serial number.

If your Plasma is less than 1 years old and has shutdown even once, then get it replaced. Speak to a supervisor, if you don't get any satisfaction.
If they don't replace it, return it to your vendor. Make a big stink. This is no different than getting a defective new car at a dealership. Lemon Law may appply. I had a defective Nikon digicam I paid $1000 for. Got it swapped for a new model after a stink. If you have a problem it may get worst as your 1 year Panasonic warranty counts down.

Think about this. They could take your returned defective plasma, fix it, and give it to stores as their display models. You should get a NEW model. It is pennies to Panasonic/Matushita.

Cheers

Kosmo
post #22 of 1019 Old 10-18-2003, 02:45 PM

One thing to add

Someone on the forum had a Panny SD plasma replaced and they sent him a HD plasma as a replacement.

We should be so lucky.

Cheers

Kosmo
post #23 of 1019 Old 10-18-2003, 09:11 PM

Everyone,
Here's the update on my shutdown issue. Well, so far so good. My set was returned Thursday from factory servicing and it appears to be working properly. It has not shut down, nor does it display any warning signs (a high-pitched whining sound at startup). They even resolved the DVI image shift issue I had. A couple of things: I asked for an extension of my warranty for the time I was without my TV, and will let you know what Panny says. Stealth, your points are well-taken, but I can assure you that I escalated my situation as far up as possible and Panasonic would NOT replace or refund the TV, even after it was repaired once unsuccessfully. It got to the point where I couldn't fight it anymore. And, insofar as the member who had his set replaced with the HD model, I'm certain he arranged that through his store, not Panasonic, and most likely because he agreed to pay the difference.
post #24 of 1019 Old 10-19-2003, 07:07 AM

any chance a unit manufactured in July '03 would NOT have a problem? or do you think they are all affected? mine says July '03. it's about 6 weeks old, but i was on vacation for 2 of those weeks so it's only been used for 4. conducting a stress test right now. so far, so good. this sounds like a real hassle. i certainly didn't pay over 3 dimes for a tv for this nonsense. many thanks to the above posters for sharing their experiences in this matter and for giving a heads up to the rest of us.

boist
post #25 of 1019 Old 10-20-2003, 10:45 PM

Boist,

Mine is a July '03 manufacture, and it has the shut down issue.
post #26 of 1019 Old 10-21-2003, 04:34 AM

Can anybody get the official word on the date of manufacture after which the diode was factory corrected? Maybe Lisa can slap her rep with a trout 'till he tells her?

thanks,

elvis
post #27 of 1019 Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 AM

mine has been on for 2 days as a test suggested by stealth. no shut down yet. think i'm out of the woods??? i hope so. purchased at CC in NYC first week of september. crossing my fingers

Boist
post #28 of 1019 Old 10-21-2003, 11:08 AM

boist, as I noted in another thread, mine didn't fail until it had at least a good 150 or 200 hours on it. I don't know how many hours you have on your plasma total, but if your goal is stress testing it for the diode problem, I wouldn't personally call it quits until I had hit at least 250 hours or more. It's a shame to have to log hours on a TV to make sure that you won't have problems later, but I guess that's another subject entirely!
post #29 of 1019 Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM

Yes, boist, I second SLCMike about total hours needed (I estimate mine started having problems at 150-250 hours), but I wouldn't recommend continuing the "stress test." The chances of your TV being affected are small, yet if it is affected it will begin to shut down sooner or later no matter what. The stress test will only speed up the process if it's affected, and only put extra life on the TV if it's not. Since you're already past the 30-day return of CC, there's really no reason to continue stress-testing to speed up the process. My advice is if you're happy with the TV otherwise, to continue to watch happily. If it fails in the not-too-distant-future, call Panasonic to get it repaired. If it looks like they won't be able to fix it quickly in-home (as they didn't in my case), buy another one from CC in the meantime and return it 29 days later or whenever your TV is fixed. Although I didn't pursue that strategy, in hindsight I wish I had.
post #30 of 1019 Old 10-22-2003, 07:53 PM

That's one stratagy. The other is to contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. The go down to CC, ask for the Store manager and ask him to do the right thing and replace your unit. If he refuses tell him he's forced you into asking the credit card company to dispute payment. Then buy another one with plans to return it within the 30 day window. It's kind of playing hard ball but since they're doing the same to you....

Ray

Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page