OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Cap'n Jazz's Avatar Cap'n Jazz
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #271 of 2161
12-15-2005 | Posts: 178
1. Model

Panasonic TH-42PX50U.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Generally good reviews (Consumer Reports, Sound & Vision, here). Checked it out in the store and was pretty impressed. Had been looking at 26-37" LCD screens and decided that there might be too much eyestrain since I stare at those all day long at work and they appeared (if possible) too sharp and bright in the store. Plasma, which I had never considered, looked closer to CRT to me, in general, and I was able to convince myself that a 42" screen was the ideal size (9-10 ft. viewing distance) and I could somehow afford it.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

HDTV looks stunning. I've hardly been a TV watcher for years now and I find myself fascinated by total crap just because it looks so good. Love the size (I used to have a 26/27" Sony Trinitron from the '80s), widescreen, optical digital out, multiple video inputs.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

Concerned about a visible division between the upper and lower panels, not sure if this is something that needs to be serviced. It usually only shows up in full screens of solid color, especially blue and lighter shades like tan. Knew that it didn't have different picture settings for different inputs but didn't realize exactly what that would mean. Oh, well.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

Er, see above.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

None, currently.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

How totally natural 42" suddenly becomes after years of less.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

See number four. Also, "Just" and "Full" mode don't seem noticably different. DVD playback has been really varied, too, which is disappointing. I have a Pioneer 563a and have been slogging through pages and pages on this forum trying to determine if an upconverting player would make a difference. So far, Return of the Jedi looks stunning, Fellowship of the Ring suddenly looks less than great, "Angel" the series a bit soft, too, and whites seem off. I've done a little calibrating with DVE but I'm new to this stuff.

Oh, and one more: the buzzing sound. I've read elsewhere, some people seem to have this and some not, but I get the impression Panasonic won't service it, so I may have to live with it. Not noticable most of the time, usually just at low volumes.

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.

For the money I'm a little bit dismayed about a couple of the problems, especially that panel division-- horizontal line through the middle of the screen that is occasionally noticable.
CrapONez's Avatar CrapONez
06:21 AM Liked: 10
post #272 of 2161
12-16-2005 | Posts: 15
1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK

These discussion groups. I was originally planning a 42" model and was going to go with the 7 series until I came across the shifting blacks problem. When the 8th gens came out, it seemed like the 42" still had the problems but the 50" did not. It may all be perception more than reality, but that sealed it.

I can't believe how amazing HD is. Like others, I'm watching DiscoveryHD and other stuff I'd never watched before just for the visuals. I have Picture and Brightness tuned down to -20 to -15, color down to -9 and still can't believe the picture clarity.

Haven't had much time to play with it yet. But because it's still in its break-in period, I find myself switching from Component to S-Video inputs just to be able to scale the picture and eliminate the bars.

Can't believe a TV like this doesn't ship with at least one digital input. Not sure I want to bother buying an HDMI or DVI board and card just to see if they blow away component.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
What's with the BNC connectors? Thanks to Visual Apex for including the adapters - nice touch.

Three.
The immediate one was how freaking heavy it is. I'd be nervous hanging it on a wall!
The second was how amazing HD is. I have my cable box set to start up in the HD channels now and would rather watch crap in HD than anything in SD. Can't wait for everything to switch over.
The third was that it's not that big. Since we sit 5-6' away, I was almost fearing that a 50" would be overpowering, but it really isn't. Neither to the viewing eye nor the room aesthetics. My wife agrees. So I must be wrong.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch anything with the side bars anything but black. The mid-level grey is just too distracting. Hoping that won't give me burn-in issues down the road. Not really a plasma issue I kow, but had to fit it in somewhere.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.
No. CRTs are down to what - $10-20 an inch? Plasma more like $60-100. I suspect now that all the panel producers are building new facilities and/or boosting production big-time, there will be significant price drops in the next 2 years (I wouldn't be surprised to see 50%). But I couldn't wait. And paying the big bucks is part of the WOW factor isn't it?

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
My biggest bitch is the HD programming that just seems to be slapped on at a higher resolution but still comes in 4:3. The major networks really need to do a better job with their HD content. PBS and Discovery are the bomb.

The kids think Timmy Turner is awesome at 50".
kmarsh's Avatar kmarsh
12:43 PM Liked: 10
post #273 of 2161
12-19-2005 | Posts: 102
1. The "Model" you have.
- Panasonic TH-50PX500U

- The generally favorable reviews here and elsewhere that made this seem like the best "bang for the buck"... especially with the "Employee Purchase Program" discount that I got through my company (not Panasonic). I also looked at this set in several stores and it always looked very good compared to others nearby.

- The size and feature set are a good match for my viewing situation.

- A. - One dead green pixel - easy to see on a white screen from 10 feet away.
- B. - SIGNIFICANT green push that I haven't yet been able to dial out (yes, Color Management is OFF).

- Higher resolution (1080p) ... but I think it'd be too expensive for me at today's prices.
- CableCard 2.0 (two way) would be nice, but I don't think I'd use the two way features much.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
- Fix the color balance so it looks good out of the box!
- Don't sell panels with bad pixels!

- SD digital cable looks surprisingly good on some channels

- as mentioned above - nasty green push and a dead pixel that is much easier to see than I would have thought.

- Not really. If I hadn't gotten the steep discount, I would have probably waited another year for the prices to continue to drop.

- I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on this one... not sure whether the issues with my particular panel will become less noticeable (or at least less annoying) over time.
Dustin07's Avatar Dustin07
10:09 AM Liked: 10
post #274 of 2161
12-21-2005 | Posts: 26
1. The "Model" you have.
- Norwood 42" from CompUsa

- Mostly Price. More inches per dollar over better quality LCD's.

- Size and color brightness on animations/DVD

- Lost a pixel already (about 6 months old) still under warranty though.
- dark images, or poor quality video is not great viewing material. some tivo recordings can turn up poorly on the Plasma when rewatched (king of queens in particular for some reason is the worst)

- Just higher resolution. but i would have bought that if i could have afforded it!

- sell with wall mount brackets! at the time that I bought mine, none were available for it. My custom made ones from the local welding shop are horrible! (my fault though, design flaw)

-no burn in when I fell asleep watching the simpsons dvd and woke up to the menu. no burn in from ESPN, CNN, TNT, or any other logos. no burn in!

- just the one lost pixel which you can only see up close, and the fact that no wall mount brackets were available at the time I bought it.

- hard to say. I bought mine for $1400 on sale, but it's still advertisted in the ads for $2k... I wouldn't have paid $2k, but I'm very happy with my t.v. and price that I DID pay. i think it's still the cheapest anyone could pay for a 42 inch Plasma.

-for some reason I've had no issue with burn in, even though I've abused this plasma and broke every rule. watched letter box movies before it was really broken in, watch lots of hours of logo television (ESPN, TNT, CNN, etc.), play video games on it (mostly xbox, but hookin up the GameCube this weekend). for the price, best Plasma for the money in my opinion. I researched for about 6 months before buying. no buyers remorse here. ALTHOUGH, i'm not attached. when I move I'd be open to leaving it on the wall for the new buyers (for $1k...lol)
Dennis51's Avatar Dennis51
06:29 PM Liked: 10
post #275 of 2161
12-21-2005 | Posts: 3
Hi, I just got a pioneer pro 1130 to replace my pioneer elite projection tv and the picture is just amazing. I have one question though. I have an old hughes hd receiver from directv. The kind where when you watch HD you hit a button on the remote and it upgrades to HD and then downgrades to Sd when you hit it again. When i hooked this up to my plasma i thought the same thing would happen but it just goes in HD mode and stays there. I called pioneer and he said that the only thing i can do with the plasma is to split the connections. Have my HD in input 1 and my Sd in input 2. This way i am using two of my inputs on one source. There must be a better way. Does anybody know . Are is he right and this is the only way. Thanks for any help. Dennis
phoenixplasma's Avatar phoenixplasma
12:15 PM Liked: 10
post #276 of 2161
12-26-2005 | Posts: 45
1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer PDP-50A5HD

It was an xmas gift. I've been a very good boy this year.

The sleek appearance.

Too high maintenance! (burn-in prevention & break-in steps, etc.)

Anti burn-in technology (auto pixel shift, etc.) so people don't have to worry about the possibility of burn-in any more.

Not sure, just got it so need to play with it for a while first.

How poor SD definition really is. I need to get more HD sources!

None so far.

I dunno. Electronics and computers always seem to drop in price (especially after you buy something! )

Great site!
jorgerod's Avatar jorgerod
09:46 AM Liked: 10
post #277 of 2161
12-29-2005 | Posts: 511
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung HP-R4252X

After a tight race between Costcos older gen Pioneer and the Panasonic and This One I chose this unit because it was Samsungs latest Generation with anti burn features,60,000 Hour MTBF on the screen 13 bit processor for 586 billion Colors and a 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio at the same price of the Pannasonic which didnt have any of those features

That it looks so damn good compared to everything else

Too high maintenance! (burn-in prevention & break-in steps, etc.)

Haven't found any feature it is lacking yet, when I do I will update

They could make it a tad lighter. This is one of the heaviers Plasma units.

How poor SD definition really is. I need to get more HD sources!

None so far.

I never think about price since four months from now my tv will be 500 or 600 dollars cheaper just to mess with my head.

Great site!
ersatz's Avatar ersatz
12:44 AM Liked: 10
post #278 of 2161
12-31-2005 | Posts: 103
1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TH-42PX50U

General good reviews. The most good reviews out of all the models I'd been looking at. Also comparing to others in store.

So far everything. The PQ is great and I still have it on the "toned down" settings while breaking it in. I can't wait till I can really see some good PQ on this baby.

No PIP and you have to aim the remote right at the damn thing. Not so much now that I'm using my Universal though.

PIP

None so far.

How good everything non HD looked. I expected DVDs to look OK on a non upconverting player....but they just look great. And my SDTV looks great too.

None with the actual set itself. I just can't seem to find an antenna that will get OTA HD signals yet. I REALLY want this feature and I hope I can find one soon. I'm in an apartment building so it makes it a little more difficult.

I think anything over $1k is a lot of money for a TV, but when I look at mine I don't feel so bad. I still say they are overpriced....but I don't regret my purchase.

Here are some pics from Monsters Inc. and my xbox 360 music player. The image noise is the camera. I took these in dim light so I had to put the ISO really high which adds noise.
LL
LL
LL
cajieboy's Avatar cajieboy
12:58 AM Liked: 57
post #279 of 2161
12-31-2005 | Posts: 4,433
Ersatz, if you're getting the Scientific Atlanta (SA) 8300 HD box from your local cable co., you can utilize the STB's PIP feature.
trekguy's Avatar trekguy
07:04 PM Liked: 10
post #280 of 2161
01-01-2006 | Posts: 2,192
1. The "Model" you have.
- Panasonic TH-50PX500U

- Reviews in Consumer Reports and elsewhere and side by side comparison at the dealer

-

The picture! 4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

- -Lack of separate memories on the picture settings for each input and for each of the three base settings (vivid, normal and cinema.

--Lack of a second HDMI input

--At least one more HDMI input and separate memories by input.

-- CableCard 2.0

- None.

- None except for those mentioned already

- -It will be cheaper in six months and it would have been $15K not long ago. I bought it so I must have felt the price was ok.

echopoint's Avatar echopoint
02:44 PM Liked: 10
post #281 of 2161
01-04-2006 | Posts: 16
1. The "Model" you have
Pioneer Elite PRO-930HD

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model"
I was all set on buying a Panasonic, and then I saw this model next to the Panasonic I was considering at a local Magnolia Hi Fi. I had brought some DVD's with me and was amazed at how much smoother and natural the same movie (The Fifth Element) was on this display in comparison.

The separate media reciever, and the picture quality

Resolution is 1024x768. If I were to do it over again, I would pick the 1130 for this reason.

An additional HDMI and component video connector. Currently input 2 can only be RCA or S-Video. I wish this input could also be HDMI

Keep focusing on quality

Pioneer included 2 different PCMIA media adapter cards for using my camera media with the television. This was very thoughtful, and I wasn't expecting it.

- None except for those mentioned already

No. I think todays prices are still a bit high, but this technology is still difficult to manufacture at good yields, and I got a great deal.

It's a great television set, and I am very happy.
DMRSX's Avatar DMRSX
10:27 PM Liked: 10
post #282 of 2161
01-05-2006 | Posts: 299
1. The "Model" you have
Panasonic TH-42PX50U

I tried to fight buying a Panasonic. I tried so hard I even bought a Hitachi! Then I returned it and pre-ordered the Panasonic. For me the main selling point was the lack of problems Panasonics seem to have. They don't suffer from motion jutter, poor contrast, etc.

The shadow detail is really impressive.

Silver! Why can't all electronics be black...now I have another thing that doesn't match...

A second HDMI would be nice. I'd also love to see higher resolutions start to "trickle down" to smaller size screens once the 1080p plasmas start hitting the market.

Keep it up! You're the market leader for a reason so make sure you continue to create great PDP's at great prices.

The cable hiding attachments were a nice touch.

720p seems QUITE soft versus other similar screens.

Every 4-5+ years I typically spend around $2500 on a screen so this was within my budget. However I do look forward to seeing 50" PDP's coming down in price.

So far so good...I'll see everyone in the Panny threads!
2-reef's Avatar 2-reef
12:38 PM Liked: 10
post #283 of 2161
01-06-2006 | Posts: 4
1. The "Model" you have
Pioneer PDP-5060HD

Some reviews, I have always liked Pioneer, the separate media box, the small black bezel around the screen, the picture quality.

HD broadcasts. David Letterman.....an other HD broadcasts really show off what this set can do. Very impressive picture quality, better blacks than I expected.

Image retention...Issues with Discovery HD...I can't watch it any more, due to this happening after 20% viewing the logo stayed on the screen for 5 days.

Features are excellent, I wish it had three HDMI instead of two.

Provide a sheet that discusses burn in, image retention, break in...really after spending so much you'd think they would want you to be ready to use this TV without worry.

The stand was on back order, the bottom of the box makes a nice temporary stand.....no really I like adjustment and calibration of each input being separate.

Just the Image retention scare. Web response from the US site is spot on, they say 24 hours, and yes they responded in time. The Canadian line is a JOKE. I spoke to someone live at the 800 number, he did not know what HDMI was?? and said he would get back to me, which he never did, this was December 15th. I called the line twice since then, it's always busy...have to leave your number and Pioneer will get back to you. Two messages left since Before Decemebr 21st, they have NEVER called me back. Really Really poor customer service (Canada only... US is great! but the US 800 number won't deal with me once they knew I was from Canada).

I paid about $5,500 CND for this....if it last 10 year then yes it's worth it.

I figured out most of the questions I had by myself or on line. 3 of us bought the Pioneer together, (the other 2 bought the 43") We all really like it. One friend saw the manual and said he would call someone to come and connect the set, he was too nervous.( I laughed) but I think this just shows how versatile (and possibly complex) these set have become!
TheCMB's Avatar TheCMB
06:06 PM Liked: 10
post #284 of 2161
01-10-2006 | Posts: 76
1. The "Model" you have. - NEC 42VM5

- reviews about excellent rendering of SD (no access to HD signal for me)
- commercial model, so sleeker w/o speakers
- nice set of inputs for a commercial set
- black bezel - no silver stuff for me!

- great PQ
- stadium (stretch) mode
- PQ looks HUGE to me, never owned anything before bigger than 32"

- nothing yet

No biggies for me, but...
- PIP/split screen
- sharper stand, especially with swivel
- blacker bezel (it's more like a charcoal grey)

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

- make a stand that swivels, and don't overcharge for it!

- how easy it was to set up
- PQ looks great right out of the box

- nothing yet (knock on wood)

- YES! Compared to what folks can get a beautiful 50" HD set for, it seems like I actually overpaid for my 42" commercial ED set. But it fits my needs.

- still waiting on some more new equipment, then will add some pics
- good experience dealing with Cleveland Plasma
Mike52's Avatar Mike52
06:43 PM Liked: 10
post #285 of 2161
01-10-2006 | Posts: 697
1. Display: Toshiba 42HP84

2. I got this panel because it had a good picture, and I decided to have a different brand than most everyone else on this forum.

3. The best thing about this tv is its picture and the lack of any picture problems.

4. What I don't like is that it is already "old technology".

5. The only feature I wish this panel had that it doesn't, is a ATSC (is that right?) receiver.
6. More, more, more, for less, less, less $.

7. My biggest "surprise" was that it handled regular TV signals decently...after all the negative comments I had read about other panels.

8. The only problem I have is an occasional buzz from the sets speakers with extremely low frequency bass sounds.

9. Todays' prices have not fallen as much as I had thought they should. Considering the lack of overall HD programming on TV (although it is getting better), and the cost of receiving those signals if you don't live in a major metropolitan area...the cost is still not worth it.

10. As with any technology, this one is still rapidly evolving. So be prepared to be outdated before you even get your new toy out of the box.
70runner's Avatar 70runner
12:17 AM Liked: 10
post #286 of 2161
01-11-2006 | Posts: 101
1. The "Model" you have. - NEC 50XR5A Plasma

- strong comparison to Pannies
- black bezel, slick appearance
- input options

- outstanding OTA HD picture quality, solid blacks
- excellent SD picture quality (analog cable)
- zoom and stretch modes

- haven't found anything yet

- TBD

- TBD

- stellar PQ out of the box
- damage to box but plasma survived

- nada

- worth is a relative term, for each to decide; in my case, the rendering of SD signals along with the remarkable HD picture makes this plasma set worth every penny to me; I spent a lot of hours auditioning the Fuji 50in plasma, generally judged as best in show...this NEC appears to be in the same class for 3K less

- as noted earlier, box arrived with damage to bottom which I didn't see until after I signed off and sent the deliveryman on his way; I opened the top to take a look and saw the hole on the bottom, took some pictures for reference; all seems well though as there was no damage to TV and its working fine so far; moral of the story, check the box CLOSELY
killathespian's Avatar killathespian
01:19 AM Liked: 10
post #287 of 2161
01-11-2006 | Posts: 5
1. The "Model" you have.

Toshiba 42HP95

Was stuck on the Panasonic PWD8UK for the longest time, but in the end our viewing habits (no cable/satellite), the cost of tuners and other add-ons, and the convenience factor made a consumer model more practical. The feature set of the Toshiba won out over the PD50 (VGA, settings by input, cablecard (if we ever get cable), memory card slot, etc), and the Pioneer 4214 at Costco.

HDTV and OTA HD reception (even without the HD feed). We brought it home an hour before the Rose Bowl, and after assuring friends it would be ready for game time, we had about a dozen people over. They were impressed. I'm still grinning when watching

The stand is ugly, but it's getting mounted eventually. The HP(X) doesn't look that attractive in web photos, but it looks a lot better in person. My wife was initially turned off by the looks but its larger size than the commercial models made it look more "impressive" and substantial to her in the end.

The HP95 has "preference" settings for each input, but it would be cool to have 2 preferences. Overscan adjustment (not that i've noted a need for this--just that it was an interesting feature of the Panasonic commercials). Discrete on/off. Direct input selection.

I got nothing.

HD picture quality (different having it my house than seeing it in a showroom). the sound strip quality is also nice.

TV guide feature has loaded but has the wrong time, which in my cursory look, i was unable to adjust (i did a manual entering of time in the main menu, but that didn't do anything). One other minor annoyance is the shift in picture modes on SD sources (will stretch one channel, change it and now the SD source is unstretched), but that might be user error (not entering "done", but just exiting the menu).

Well, we overshot our initial budget a bit, with a chunk of that coming from moving from ED to HD. We spent as much on the HP95 as we had on a sectional sofa, and this will get a lot more use and has more "wow" factor, so I'll say yes. Only potential regret is not waiting a little longer to check out the new Vizio or HP66. But i think the extra $$ to buy now is the cost of no longer having to suffer from paralysis by overanalysis.

Thanks to AVS for all the info!
snapper's Avatar snapper
02:22 PM Liked: 10
post #288 of 2161
01-11-2006 | Posts: 50
1. Model.

HP PE4200N.

Great price for what is essentially a Panasonic EDTV with a black bezel.

So far, (still using break-in period settings) the colors and details that I didn't see in my Mitsubishi 31" CRT.

The bezel/housing is much wider and deeper than I would like. The internal speakers aren't used so it is just unnecessary bulk.

A second RF input so I could try OTA ATSC without having to disconnect cable and re-scan channels. Also, one button input switching would be preferable to the menu selection routine.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the Manufacturer about your Plasma.

See 4 and 5 above. Also, the sound system and the table-top stand should be optional because they are redundant in many installations.

That the picture is significantly better than my previous CRT. I see much more detail - and this is just with SD on analog cable.

There seems to be a couple slight dents in the front bezel sides.

At the MSRP - no. At around 25 percent off, yes.

I haven't been successful in getting to the service information that displays the hours. Using the procedure found in the Panny plasma FAQ gets me into the service menus alright but the very last step doesn't get me any further. Anyone know about this?
Gomariners116's Avatar Gomariners116
09:11 PM Liked: 10
post #289 of 2161
01-11-2006 | Posts: 3
Hitachi Plasma 42HDT52A
Accessories, style were a few factors for the purchase
A few of the features include power swivel, USB port, 40 watts audio
A little expensive though-Paid $2599.00 Prices are coming down slowly.
I am having problems with the power swivel, I am getting the TV replaced.
A great picture & TV, and I would buy another one.
First time buyer for this type of TV.
TV sits on a entertainment shelf and not wall mounted.
I purchased a 5 year extended warrenty through Hitachi.
ejunior2's Avatar ejunior2
11:03 AM Liked: 10
post #290 of 2161
01-12-2006 | Posts: 238
1. Panasonic PD4250U
2. Wanted a EDTV for use with direct cable input and SD cable signal. And not to spent >$2000 to do it.
3. So far the colors just pop and the SD upconverting is stellar.
4. Kind of Plane Jane looks and only 1 coax input
5. Dual HDMI
6. Name contrast, "Contrast" already.
7. My biggest surprise was that this set looked so much better than the Samsung EDTV is replaced. I was hoping for at least a slight improvement when I switch but the Panny set handled the SD signal (and HD) so much better.
8. None found so far.
9. Not really. It's just a TV after all.
10. This set has pretty much guaranteed I'll be getting a Panasonic when I get the 50"-55" model for the living room later on. Bring on those 600U's.
SARHENTO's Avatar SARHENTO
09:49 AM Liked: 14
post #291 of 2161
01-15-2006 | Posts: 368
1. Hitachi 42HDT52A

2. My research convinced me that this is the better model than the S52, and better value than Panny and Pio

3. The colours, details, features and looks.

4. The image retention

5. One-button input switching

6. Improve coverage of remote control (bypass the "wake up" stage)

7. That the PQ far exceeded my expectation and my Sony XBR crt

8. None so far.

9. I got a good price so yes.

10. I really like the fact that you are able to configure the settings separately for each input.
ncx's Avatar ncx
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #292 of 2161
01-18-2006 | Posts: 1
1. Model.
Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Side by side with everything else, it stole the show. Even my wife picked this one out based on HD, SD, and DVD PQ.

The scaler, the color depth and detail, and the separate media receiver.

So far, nothing.

None really. Thinking 10 years down the road it might be nice to have upgradeable firmware or upgradeable input modules in the media receiver.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the Manufacturer about your Plasma.
Don't skimp on quality to make them cheaper to compete with Panasonic or others.

We don't watch much SD content, but we were shocked when we did the first few times. SD PQ is excellent (using component), the best I have seen anywhere. I am using the Pio's scaler and not the one in my HD DVR.

No issues so far.

At the price I got it for, yep its well worth it.

This is my 4th HD TV but first plasma. I should not be surprised by this model, but it will definitely change how much we watch TV and movies. It is that good.
Dulo's Avatar Dulo
04:17 PM Liked: 10
post #293 of 2161
01-18-2006 | Posts: 17
1. Hitachi 42HDT51

2. Display capabilities, connectivity and design.

3. Picture, features, design, separate A/V control center, remote-controlled motorized stand.

4. I haven't found anything yet.

5. It has everything I need. That's why I bought it after a month of a detailed search.

6. Retain the quality and keep improving!

7. Picture of SD channels looked good out of the box and the picture of HD channels - amazing!

8. I've had it for a year and no problems what so ever. It's my first plasma TV.

9. That's for everyone to decide what's best for him. I paid $5999.99 CAD, its market price was about $1000 more and the MSP was $8500 CAD. Plus I got a free Panasonic DVD-F87. It will last more than 10 years. Yes, I am satisfied and have no regrets at all.

10. I bought a 5 year extended warranty. There was a warning in the manual about the burn-in issue with the plasma displays. On the TV's plastic cover was attached with a scotch tape a glossy paper sheet with some color pictures and common sense tips how to protect your TV from image retention. I am aware of plasma television burn-in and how to avoid it but a lot of people are not. I find this very professional and thoughtful! Bravo Hitachi!
BOB T.'s Avatar BOB T.
12:48 PM Liked: 10
post #294 of 2161
01-19-2006 | Posts: 2
1. The "Model" you have.
Panisonic TH-50px500u
50px50u was out of stock and they gave me a very good deal on this model

picture is awesome
speakers kinda suck
2 hdmi inputs
better speakers and 2 hdmi inputs
it's huge, it took a little time to get use to the size difference between this and the old 27"crt
none
still a litte steep
dzn465's Avatar dzn465
02:02 PM Liked: 10
post #295 of 2161
01-19-2006 | Posts: 10
I am not sure if posting this reply is bad form ....but where is this model 25% off?

1. Model.

HP PE4200N.

Great price for what is essentially a Panasonic EDTV with a black bezel.

So far, (still using break-in period settings) the colors and details that I didn't see in my Mitsubishi 31" CRT.

The bezel/housing is much wider and deeper than I would like. The internal speakers aren't used so it is just unnecessary bulk.

A second RF input so I could try OTA ATSC without having to disconnect cable and re-scan channels. Also, one button input switching would be preferable to the menu selection routine.

See 4 and 5 above. Also, the sound system and the table-top stand should be optional because they are redundant in many installations.

That the picture is significantly better than my previous CRT. I see much more detail - and this is just with SD on analog cable.

There seems to be a couple slight dents in the front bezel sides.

At the MSRP - no. At around 25 percent off, yes.

I haven't been successful in getting to the service information that displays the hours. Using the procedure found in the Panny plasma FAQ gets me into the service menus alright but the very last step doesn't get me any further. Anyone know about this?[/quote]
kaione's Avatar kaione
05:17 PM Liked: 10
post #296 of 2161
01-19-2006 | Posts: 2
Akai Pdp4206ea/Pdp4206em

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought the same Plasma at CompUSA new years day sale.

It is my first Plasma. I pulled the trigger on it because it was in my budget. I really wanted and HDTV with all the bells and whistles but Id have to spend a few $$$ more which is out of my budget.

Im pretty much happy with it even though its an EDTV. PQ on HD channels is great when connected to my Comcast/Motorola HD STB. Regular cable looks like crap though. I found watching regular cable through the direct tuner looks much better.

Problems.

I am having the same problem as groo08. I dont know what the features CTI, DNR, White Peak Limiter, Flesh Tone, Adaptive Luma Control do. Does anybody no how to adjust these settings? The User manual does not say what they are for , only how to adjust?

Also I have tried connecting my COMCAST/Motoroal HD STB DVI to DVI on Plasma to get the best PQ but it looked worse than it did when hooked up through the component inputs. Is this because its an EDTV?? I have it switched back to component.

Another problem is Pixelization when watching basketball ion an HD channel. It seems when there is a fast moving scene I get the screen door effect. Any way to fix this? again is this because its an EDTV? If i was to buy an HDTV will I still have the same problem?

Overall im happy since it is a Plasma and wall mountable which I needed since I have a small living room. I know its not future proof but it'll work for the now.

Any info on my problems will be appreciated?
riDuh7's Avatar riDuh7
03:58 AM Liked: 10
post #297 of 2161
01-20-2006 | Posts: 73
1. The "Model" you have.

A: Westinghouse LVM-37w1

A: Use with the computer via DVI and support of 1080P

A: Size as a computer monitor!!

A: Sometimes color does not represent correctly..., but fine 95% of the times.

A: HDMI connection with 1080P support from DVI-2 and Component.

A: Things that are answered in question 5.

A: Refreshing rates! I thought it would be choppy to play games on this monitor, but it's flawless!!!!!

A: So far, NONE.

A: I got it so cheap that I feel like I want to pay more money for this baby. LOL

A: If you are a big time computer user, BUY THIS!! You will never regret what you are about to find out.
dcpmark's Avatar dcpmark
05:42 PM Liked: 10
post #298 of 2161
01-21-2006 | Posts: 137
1. The "Model" you have.

Pioneer PDP-5061HD

Great SD PQ, great price, and 3-years no interest.

Just about everything.

Having to baby it during break-in period. Daytime reflection of light. Cinema stretch mode for 4:3 is very good, but the bottom is still cut off a little bit, making tickers hard to read.

Screensaver/screen wipe/inverse pixelator......no problems now, but just in case.

Get rid of the TV Guide crap. Even thinner bezel.

How great the SD picture is, and how reflective the screen is during the day. Never saw that or read about that before buying a plasma.

None.

At the price I paid for it, yes......

As I said, Cinema stretch mode is nice.....are there any better on other units? Also, the picture seems to be getting better and better......is it true, or is it me just getting acclimated to the panel?
emachine's Avatar emachine
01:57 AM Liked: 10
post #299 of 2161
01-23-2006 | Posts: 9
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic 50phd8uk

PC input, low-profile bezel, no stand (planned to wall mount), no speakers (planned to use 7.1 system), very good PQ to my eyes. A good buy for me, personally, for what I wanted to do, and at a price I could afford.

It has so far been everything I expected it to be. I'm quite pleased with the experience it imposes upon the living room, overall.

4. - 6.

n/a

How good HD looks. Discovery HD is insane...

None, the unit is free from defects and has been working perfectly.

Yes. It's not just the new tv, either. It's the new tv, the new receiver, the new speakers, the cabling, the new furniture, the weekends spent in the attic dilling holes and running all the cables, mounting speakers on the wall and running back and forth to home depot. It's _all_ been worth it. And I'm not even a movie buff. It's that cool.
spikedog007's Avatar spikedog007
06:25 AM Liked: 10
post #300 of 2161
01-24-2006 | Posts: 120
1. The "Model" you have.

Sony kde-50xs955

Very good SD, better looking HD than the panny (at least in the store) just seemed to pop more than the panny, great exterior design (by far the best looking tv (my opinion only).

Gorgeuos tv, great picture, and it's a plasma (bragging rights).

Still worried about image retention and break in. I've got all the settings down way low since it's new and it doesn't look as good as it did in the store right now. The swivel feature on the stand is also very cool. Didn't even know it did that until I brought it home.

Lack of image retention, it's not a big deal as images go away within a few minutes but when you pay this much for a tv you would expect perfection.

uh... I let you know.

Better than expected SD, and how bad the image retention is at least at first.

Again just the image retention. Don't get me wrong it goes away fairly quickly.

I did get a great deal compared to MSRP but I would have to say NO. I mean come on it's just a tv.

By far I think the plasmas give the best picture quality (I did alot of searching over about a weeks time, compared to LCD, Directview, RPLCD and DLP). I owned a rear projection LCD micro display (hitachi 50v500) and have to say in it's best day it didn't even come close to this plasma PQ.
Tags: Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch

Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread