AVS Forum banner

OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Tags
hewlett packard hewlett packard company hewlett packard hp hitachi 42hdt79 ultravision cineform 42 inch plasma hdtv television lg lg 60pm6700 plasma hdtv panasonic 37 inch plasma display th 37pr11uk panasonic 42 inch th 42lrh50u panasonic eur7737z20 remote control compatibility th37px60u th42px60u th50px60u th58px60u panasonic tc 65ps64 65 inch panasonic tc p50st60 50 inch 3d smart plasma hdtv panasonic tc p65s60 65 inch 1080p 600hz plasma hdtv panasonic th 37lru50 37 inch panasonic th 42pd50u 42 inch flat panel edtv plasma tv panasonic th 42pwd8uk 42 inch plasma edtv panasonic th 42px25u p 42 inch high definition plasma tv panasonic th 42px80u panasonic th 50px75u 50 inch 720p plasma hdtv panasonic th42pf50u 42 inch plasma panasonic th50px600u 50 inch plasma flat panel hdtv panasonic th65vx300u 65 inch 3d 1080p premiere display panasonic viera tc p42st30 42 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p46s30 46 inch plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p46st30 46 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p50gt50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p50st50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p55ut50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p55vt50 panasonic viera tc p60gt50 60 inch plasma tv panasonic viera tc p60ut50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65gt30 65 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p65gt50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65vt30 65 inch 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p65vt50 65 inch plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65zt60 65 inch plasma hdtv panasonic viera th 50px80u 50 inch 720p plasma hdtv philips philips 42pf7220a 42 inch plasma hdtv philips 50pf7321d 37 plasma hdtv pioneer pioneer brand pioneer electronics brand pioneer elite brand pioneer pdp 5080 hd samsung 51 inch pn51e530 plasma hdtv samsung ln37d550 lcd hdtv samsung pn51d550 51 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv 3d kit samsung pn51e550 51 inch 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn51e6500 51 inch 1080p 600hz 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn59d550 59 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv samsung pn59d550 59 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv black 2011 model samsung pn60e7000 60 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d ultra slim plasma hdtv samsung pn60e8000 60 inch ultra slim plasma 3d hdtv samsung pn60f5300 60 inch 1080p 600hz plasma hdtv samsung pn64d550 64 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d plasma hdtv black 2011 model samsung pn64d550 64 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv black 3d kit samsung pn64d7000 64 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d plasma hdtv black samsung pn64d8000 64 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma tv 2011 model samsung pn64e533 64 inch class plasma 533 series tv samsung pn64e550 64 inch 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn64e7000 64 inch 3d ultra slim plasma hdtv samsung pn64e8000 64 inch ultra slim plasma 3d hdtv samsung pn64f8500 64 inch 3d smart plasma hdtv sony sony 50 inch kdl50ex645 sony 60 inch kdf 60xs955 videosecu tilting plasma tv wall mount lcd monitor bracket with free 7ft hdmi cable and 6 3 axis mag vizio 46 inch 1080p full hd lcd e460me zenith zenith z60pv220 60 plasma hdtv
808K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  tripleportraitplasma 
#1 ·
I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Just got a new display? Post it here ONLY: please do not start a new thread

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Thanks.

Dave

See less See more
#28 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Panny 50PX20

Research on AVS and 50% off promo at CC

Picture quality on HD

No DVI (has 1 HDMI) and the buzzing sound.

Multiple DVI inputs

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Reduce the buzzing sound and increase the DVI inputs

The size and clarity of the picture. I initially went with a 42" and exchanged it for a 50".

I am glad I did!

None.

The prices could be lower.

I bought the panny as a "second tv" to view as a stand alone and now

feel the need to go out and get a second sound system because I am

watching it all the time.

#29 ·
The "Model" you have.

---Fujitsu P63

What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

---Always liked Fujitsu (replaced a P50): looked at several 60+ plasmas

What you like best about your Plasma.

--- PICTURE QUALITY

What you don't like about your Plasma.

---slight fan noise

What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

---longer warranty on the glass

What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

---Pleasantly surprised there was no sacrifice of picture quality with the much larger screen even though the resolution was the same as the P50: in essence, the P63 is just a larger P50

What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

---No problems but first unit received with busted plasma glass

Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

---Prices are still way too high for large plasma displays

Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

---If you have a large room and a viewing distance of at least 12 feet, this is one heck of a nice display

#30 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

NEC 61XM2/S

Size, Affordable Price, Various reviews of NEC Glass

The WOW Factor. PQ, SizeI still cannot believe PQ improvement over my previous Pioneer 503CMX and how much bigger it is. HDCP compliance.

Odd NR resolution (1365 x 768). When displaying NR it only displays 1360 x 768 leaving 5 rows of pixels unlit. The software is just OK. It gets the job done, but this is the one thing I wish I could take from the Pioneer, especially the picture settings savings on a per signal input basis.

A second DVI input. Better software control - Numbers to let you know exactly what adjustments have been made to a parameter instead of just clicks. They are plenty of picture memories (presets, that can be changed and saved), but no direct access, no memory on a per signal input basis

I will echo RichB again, a firmware update of the software control would make this great Plasma even better and hard to beat at its price.

How big it really was. I bought it sight unseen and knew the specs, but once it arrived and it was on the wall, WOW it was huge. I had to adjust the mounting plate by about 11 to bring it down to optimal viewing height. I was also surprised how much better it was than my Pio 503. I differ from RichB here as we have different sources feeding the plasma. The lack of noise compared to the Pioneer and overall black level improvement was a big improvement.

It does not always synch correctly with the cable box via DVI. This is more a cable box problem reading the EDID information. It locks into 480p instead of switching to 720p or 1080i. A shutdown of both the cable box and the plasma fixes the issue.

Tomorrow's price will most likely be better and it is all relative to what you want and when you want it. I cannot complain as I am still trying to figure out how I got the deal I did. I was able to get the dealer to take the Pio 503 on trade and the difference I paid for the NEC was like buying a new Fujitsu 50, so I am very happy.

With the Pioneer I was using an HTPC for DVD's and feeding it NR via DVI. This was a huge improvement with the Pioneer. With the NEC I am using STB DVD Player feeding 480p. I thought this would be the one area where I would be really disappointed, but I am not. The PQ is head and shoulders above the Pioneer in this area. HD via DVI is a wonderful experience. I cannot say enough good things about Discovery HD and PBS HD. Family friends watch with their mouths open. I am still considering a video processor in the future, but nothing seems just right, yet. In the meantime, I do not feel like I am lacking anything in PQ like I did with the Pioneer 503.

#31 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Panny TH-50PHD6UY

Research on AVS .

Picture quality on HD and DVD performance.

Reflection of screen in my very bright viewing room. Did not notice this in viewing this display at least 3 times before purchase.

Composite and S video connection work at the same time. I have to use one or the other.

Reduce the Reflection of screen.

How nice this set looks on my wall the thin black frame.

Reduce the Reflection of screen for day time use.

The prices could be lower.

Outstanding set everything that folks on this site said it would be. 3D like with HDTV deep rich black and vibrant colors.

#32 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY 42" ED plasma

Auditioning against Pioneer (Fujitsu was out of the price range, other makes were inferior in PQ in my eyes), specs comparison, reviews (this forum included). My viewings are 99% DVD, this and superior PQ convinced me in ED vs HD. Price, black bezel and absence of unneeded tuner/speakers convinced me in commercial vs consumer.

Overall PQ with good source.

Color banding and flesh tones posterization, visible with some lower quality DVDs. I can't actually blame the plasma for this, but it's still annoying. I used to be sometimes distracted by screendoor effect, but not anymore (no, I didn't get any glasses).

Minor - closed captions support. Major - advanced image processing to produce smoother picture even with some inferior source, to eliminate or at least mask the color banding and flesh tones posterization. I know I'm dreaming...

Make the bezel for commercial plasma even thinner. And, for more distant future, use this cell carving glass production technology to incease fill ratio, since fill ratio is (IMHO) much more important for the overall PQ then the resolution.

That I can lift a 42-inch TV by myself.

None so far (knocking on everything even remotely reminding wood).

Good question... Honestly, yes, I think yes it's worth it. I had stretched pretty thin to get my plasma, but I still believe it's price is more or less right - by comparison with other TV types. It's the right end of the price/performance curve, and, luckily, in TV displays market we get what we pay for, which is not true in DVD players world

Contrast ratio and fill ratio are more important for overall PQ then resolution. That's why Fujitsu and Panny lead the PQ race. I'm strong believer in this... and I'd like to know I'm not alone.

#33 ·
1) Pioneer PDP-4330HD

2) It was given to me by a freind after it was struck by lightning. I had it repaired for $830.00.

3) I like that for one, it was a steal at $830.00! But I am also very impressed with the quality of the picture, and of course, nothing is as impressive as having a large, flat, thin T.V.

4) I don't like that I can see motion artifacts at certain times. I guess that all plasmas are prone to this in one way or other. Since this is not our primary movie watching T.V. I can easily overlook this issue. Besides, it really isin't all that bad.

5) A feature I wish my plasma had would be the ability to move the on-screen menues around the screen. This became an issue when I was calibrating the set using "Video Essentials". The Pioneers on-screen display boxes tend to cover a lot of real estate making some adjustments difficult. Another feature I feel every HD set should have as standard is an HD OTA tuner built in.

6) My only advice would be to add more features - ala HD tuner as standard.

7) My biggest surprise was a 2 shock bash. 1 - I was so impressed with the picture on cable as most reviews said watching cable channels was "unwatchable". Cable viewing is very good - certainly as good as my Mitsubishi 35" direct view. My 2nd surprise was the fact that we have a very nice 43" plasma in our home!!! That is soooo cool!!

8) I have had no problems or issues with my set since it came home from the hospital about 2 months ago. (Knock on wood).

9) I DO NOT think that plasmas are worth the amount that is being charged. Plasmas have sooo many inherent flaws in the technology that justifying $8000.00+ is ridiculous. The goal is to get a picture as close to the medium as possible. With plasmas, as with MP3, copy-coding, etc, we are taking a step backwards for convenience. Plasmas are cool, and definetly convenient. But the picture quality still leaves a lot to be desired for the price. There is definetly a trade-off, a compromise, to have the "cool" factor.

10) I think we all have the same views on plasmas in general. There is a compromise. They need to improve picture quality. They need to drop the price. They need to make them more reliable. No doubt over time manufactures will meet these criterias, that is unless another display technology surpasses plasma.

#34 ·
1. Model- Fujitsu P42VHA20US.

2. Purchase decision- Stellar rep for picture quality, close out price, available four year in home service plan.

3. Like best- Great picture quality on standard cable and DVD. It also frees up a lot of space compared to direct view.

4. Don't like- no tuner, had to add another piece of equipment to my crowded rack (cable comes straight in from pole, no box).

5. Desired feature would be tuner. I actually like the fact that there are no speakers though.

6. Suggestion- did I say tuner? Otherwise keep up the good work.

7. Surprise- how good it looked out of the box. With a little tweaking it is great, I haven't even got around to running Avia set up which is really out of character for me.

8. Problems- none

9. Price worth it? I probably would have gone with the Panasonic if I had to pay full list of 4K plus for this set.

10. I'm glad I spent a little more for the Fujitsu, despite comment above I am very happy with this set. I am really glad that I didn't jump on one of the el cheapo 42 inchers when I was still saving for a set.

Also for my table top application I am really happy with a set of Gallo Micro speakers I picked up for times I don't want to fire up the full HT system.

#35 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

****Pioneer Elite 910HD

****The look of the set when it was off, the vibrant colors, and most of all the energy star rating. PQ wasn't a big issue to me. I read all the forum posts and look at all the models in person. I didn't notice anything to my eye (I was only looking at high end HD models). I want to enjoy my movies and am not going to study the PQ.

****The look of it when it is off. The external media box is a plus.

****Haven't had it long enough to have any dislikes.

*****I don't know...maybe one more component input for the back. I'd like to have three for component inputs.

****Don't know.

****That the TV comes with handles in the back and is remarkeably light.

****Figuring out what to do with the huges boxes the plasma came with.

Personally, I'd like to see price go up so that more people will be impressed that I have a plasma..LOL. Don't we all want $1K HD plasma sets?

installation is so damn easy that paying somebody to do it for you is like throwing money away.

#38 ·

1. The "Model" you have ?

TH-37PWD6UY

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model" ?

That's my Third Panasonic Plasma

Panasonic = Black Levels and overall PQ

Plasma Size= Budget and Excellent PQ due to smaller pixels for my viewing distance of 7 feet.

3. What you like best about your Plasma ?

Excellent PQ due to the smaller pixels. Great for closer viewing distances.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma ?

The size. I want a 50" Display

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had ?

Yup. DNR

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma ?

DISCRETE CODES FOR THE INPUTS.

More Inputs since many more people are buying the Industrial Model for home use

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma ?

How great HD sources look on a ED Display.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma ?

Had a problem with the video board on my first plasma (TH-42PW5UZ) after only 8 hours of viewing.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it ?

Prices are still a bit high IMO.

No Comments.

#39 ·

Panasonic TH-37PX25

High Definition Plasma Television

NTSC, ATSC/QAM, CableCARD, PCMCIA, SD-card.

It was a decision between a Sony XBR(42) and the Panny. Because of all of you guys, I went with the Panny. Thank you is all I can say. Besides that, the built-in ATSC/QAM and CableCARD capabilities were the key features that led me to buying this particular Panny. Compatibility for the future in an HDTV were very important when investing this kind of money.

The PQ is great, even on NTSC OTA viewing.

I shoulda got a 42!!!! The 37 really isnt that much smaller than the 42 though. Also, i wish that using the built in ATSC tuner for OTA was simpler. I still haven't been able to figure it out.

Dual ATSC's.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma ?

Multiple DVI/HDMI inputs would prove to be useful in the future.

That despite what everyone says, analog TV looks surprisingly good. Also that the JUST mode only makes people look *slightly fatter.
We never use the 4:3 mode. Also, turn down the brightness, it's set on "vivid" out of the box. It's a little too bright.

CAN'T TUNE INTO OTA HD SIGNALS!!!!!!!! It has nothing to do with the tv, i just haven't figured it out yet. (I've only had it for 2 weeks) Also, *slight rolling lines when using component DVD input. Again, I blame it on myself, as I still have not worked out all the set-ups and stuff. It might even be my AR cables.

Worth it? No. Once you have it, of course it is worth it, but parting with that cash was a little tough.

A calibration DVD would certainly be nice. And another thanks to all the members of this great forum for helping me select this amazing television. I genuinely appreciate your information and opinions.

#40 ·

Panasonic 50PHD6UY w/ DVI card and table stand.

Lack of tuner & speakers were a big plus. I wanted a 50" for maximum enjoyment. I chose Panasonic for the contrast ratio and overall picture quality. I did not like the way the consumer panel looked.

Overall picture quality. Looks good in room, takes up less space.

Occasional pixelization & blotchiness. Still unsure whether Picture setting is working correctly.

ability to change aspect ratio on 1080i & 720p.

More DVI inputs for future expansion without sacrificing composite.

How good SD programs looked from my old TiVo. How bad Six Feet Under looked in HD.

Pixelization on some programming. In addition to Six Feet Under, I'm seeing a lot of pixelization in Finding Nemo in shadowy areas.

Absolutely.

Just to say that my six months of research in this forum was invaluable. I don't think I would have been able to make as educated a decision otherwise.

#41 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Fujitsu P50XHA30WS

PQ and form factor.

CR

Paranoid about burn-in (ya ya ya, I read the thread)

a) Access to finer adjustment of grayscale. As mentioned in the The Perfect Vision Issue #55 article, "...adjustments, unfortunately, do not allow control of both the high and low ends of the grayscale; they are simply overall gain adjustments for red, green, and blue."

b) Ability to stretch/zoom 720p/1080i signals input via DVI for 4:3 OAR material watched on HD channels (e.g., ATSC HDTV transmissions at 720p/1080i).

c) Pillar bars

d) Multiple DVI/HDMI inputs

e) Not "lose" memory setting when DVI is disconnected. I'm using a Dtronics 4x1 and when changing inputs on the DVI switch, it is necessary to "recall" the memory setting. Also, it would help if one could directly access a memory instead of cycling through (to ease programmable remote macro creation).

See 5 above and 1080p.

My previous display was a Toshiba 57HLX82 LCoS RPTV. I don't miss the extra resolution at all. Contrast ratio beats resolution!

None.

I bought it, didn't I?

I built a HTPC just for the Fujitsu and am b l o w n a w a y by WMVHD. Mpeg artifact free 720p/1080i is a sight to behold! Too bad people are so afraid of MS, there really is no need to wait for Blue ray/HD DVD.

#42 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

pioneer elite 1000hdi.

got a good deal, really liked the colors, shiny black bezel had big 'wife appeal'

HD PQ is phenomenal

no NR via DVI, what's up with that?

better and more sensetive settings, "this one goes to 11"

work on those black levels, see #4.

that after the investment it was never just 'watching TV' again, now it was a hobby/obsession.

pink blooming in corners, was able to calibrate this away.

yes and no, for whiz-bang appeal yes. for what you actually get no, see below.

i think plasma displays should have better ability to be upgraded away from black boxes. wouldn't it be great to have the manufaturer offer you a choice of scalers, deinterlacing chips, and various other technologies upon order, or at least provide the ability to have expansion standards across manufactures. with this i would also really like to see more uniform standards for connections. also easier installation. is this really too much to ask?

#44 ·
Wow! Great thread here. As a complete AVS newbie my expertise pales in comparison to most of the folks here, but not seeing my model represented in any of the responses here I feel compelled to jump in "in defense" of my choice of plasma display. It's a...

1) Samsung HPN5039

2) Lots of things. PQ was definitely high on the list... I looked at a lot of 50" displays and for the money (which was also a consideration) it more than held its own in the picture department. The big selling point for my wife was the cabinet style... we found the simple, small grey frame around the display much more pleasing to look at than the larger (and flashy) silver frames around several of the other units we looked at. Oh, and the DVI input was also a factor (though a lot of units had this feature). Last but not least - Samsung's 2 year warranty played into the decision.

3) PQ, and appearance when turned off (see #2 above)

4) Hard one... not much, really. Probably the location of the inputs is my only complaint. They're in back, facing down, but not too far up the backside of the display. Makes it hard to conceal the cabling. I had to slide the boots off the Canare connectors on my AV cables in order to turn them sharp enough to keep them routed behind the display. Just a minor point, really.

5) More than just contrast and brightness adjustment on the DVI input... nature of the beast, I know.

6) See #4

7) How heavy it was! Just kidding... but it was a bear to get up and mounted on the wall bracket. Other than that, no real surprise.

8) None to date (knock on wood).

9) The price is what the price is. I bought the set when we moved into our new ("used") house, and the family/HT room layout dictated going with either FP or a flat panel display. Cable routing issues (would have had to fish everything through a finished plaster basement ceiling to feed a projector) drove me to plasma. At that point I was sort of "stuck" with what they cost. If I had the option I likely would have gone with a RP set, but I just didn't have the space.

10) I read the "Official HPN5039 Thread" on this forum, and would appreciate receiving additional info from other owners of this unit. I'm very happy with my choice so far, though it's definitely not the "plasma of choice" for most of the folks on this site.

YMMV

#45 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic 42PWD6UY

Space available (recessed installation), viewing distance (12'+), stellar reviews from this forum, R Harkness's photo gallery.

Out of the box picture quality. Quiet operation. Lean appearance. Panasonic's Just mode is surprisingly watchable (unlike my Samsung DLP's panorama mode - unwatchable).

No discrete IR codes (except PC input).

Discrete IR codes (
)

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

Discrete codes for everybody!

The back panel was not conducive to the kind of mount I wanted to use.

Possibly cooling, but I'm still working on it, so the jury is out.

Well, having purchased one of the lowest priced plasmas available, I'm probably not qualified to answer this. But, I would say that for my own purchase, I place its cost to value ratio at the upper end of my own threshold of pain...

No regrets, not one. Visual Apex did me right, and AVS Forum help was, and continues to be, invaluable.

#47 ·
Well, let's see:

1) toshiba 42HP84

2) Great looking picture, nice looking set.

3) It's mine.

4) Does not have ASTC tuner.

5) ASTC

6) Include ASTC (if they were still making plasmas)

7) No big surprise.

8) No problems so far.

9) Not until there is more HD content on TV.

10) Need more HD content and reduce the prices for HD cable and HD dish services before widespread acceptance.

#48 ·
1. Panny TH50PHD7UY

2. After reading reviews here and elsewhere, this model provided the best PQ per $$$ per square inch.

3. All media inputs (DVD, HDTV, SDTV) look great. HDTV is stunning!! DVD is great!! SDTV is clear and very watchable. (not as bad as some ppl have been saying) Most of the SDTV I've been watching is almost equal in PQ to my old CRT set.

4. Unable to adjust color saturation on HDTV signals via DVI input. Some HD channels produce overly vivid colors that provide that WOW factor, but are unrealistic in nature and the DVI menu doesn't allow adjustment.

Although "burn-in" isn't suppose to be an issue anymore, I still think about it and have been following the 100-1000 hr break-in advice.

5. The picture menu for the DVI/HDCP slot to have color saturation control.

6. Keep up the good work Panasonic!...You have a winner here,

7. How glad I was I got the 50" instead of the 42". Based on my viewing distance of 7-9 ft, the 50" to me IS NOT overwhelming at all.

8. "knocking on wood" It's only been less than a month. No issues to speak of.

9. Once the prices for a 50" went under 4K, that seemed to be the turning point for me to pull the trigger on this unit. The joy and happiness this TV

is providing for me, my family, and friends, is worth every penny.

10. Visual Apex has done well by me. A week after I rec'd my PDP they lowered the price on this set $150. I called them and they immediately issued me a $150 credit. That's what I call service!!!

#49 ·
1. NEX 50XM4

2. Bright colors, decent blacks, inputs, handling of SD and Stadium strech mode.

3. Quality of SD. I knew HD would be awesome (and it is), but I feared that after spending over 4K, my viewing experience during inevitable SD programming would suffer.

4. Faint Image Retention is short lived but cheesy.

5. 2nd DVI input

6. Sell them in stores. I bought mine based on reviews on this forum without ever seeing one in person. Most people will not do this.

7. The quality of newer DVDs on my 4 year old nonprogressive scan DVD player.

8. None

9. Yes, I waited until I could buy a quality 50" for around 4K.

10. If you are on the fence between a 42 and 50 model, go for the 50!

#50 ·
I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Panny TH-42PD50U

This set is a good balance between PQ, size and cost to get into wide-screen

3. What you like best about your Plasma. - PQ

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. -

After a 3 weeks, really can't find anything wrong. I don't seem to be getting the green push others have reported.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. -

A second HDMI port. No PIP or Cable Card slot is important to me.

Increase production and lower prices

How well it displays 480i SD satellite broadcasts. I was prepared to upgrade to HD Satellite service and now delaying the extra expense to upgrade. I'm blown away how well this Panny displays SD. The PQ is wonderful and 480p DVD viewing is totally amazing.

Zero

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.

It's relative. I was able to afford a reasonably priced TV to meet my viewing needs.

Viewing Distance is important to consider - if you watch from 10feet or greater, an ED set may be a better decision than an HD set - you'll loose HD detail if you don't have a LARGE enough HD Set (Screen Height X 3). Price points for HD sets (IMHO) are too high given the amount of HD content available today. 90% + of all viewing (OTA, Cable, Satellite, DVD) are 480i and 480p and best matched for ED sets of today. In a couple of years, I think HD content will become dominate AND the cost of HD sets may drop to today's ED prices. In the meantime I'll enjoy my ED set till then and move it into the bedroom.

For me the jump from a 27 Sony (non-XBR) to the 42 ED Panny was a huge. For the cost, I didn't think it was worth it and reports have indicated that watching SD (480i) signals on HD isn't as good as ED. The store I got the Panny at moved it away from the HD sets because HD sets weren't selling. The PQ of the PD50U is that good

Good luck in your search. I like your approach.Steve

#51 ·
1. Panasonic TH-42PD25UP

2. Cablecard & ATSC tuner, PIP, PC input, HDMI

3. HD PQ just floors me. Particularly bright outdoor scenes. DVDs via HDMI are so filmlike I finally prefer to watch from home.

4. "Limited" 10-bit color processing. If I had to do it over again, I'd hunt for a 12-bit display. False contouring on DVDs/SD is admittedly minimal, but it's my only gripe.

5. I wish it had an on-screen program guide, HD stretch modes, a "negative" setting to remove uneven wear

6. My advice to Panny is to bring back a loaded ED like the 25U and use only clean black bezels. All I hear are complaints from people about silver or multi-toned units. Also, keep the PC inputs on the back of the unit and offer separate picture memory settings for each input on consumer units as well.

7. My biggest "Surprise" was SD PQ via CC. JUST stretch took only a few hours before I didn't even notice it and the clear, noise free picture via CC shocked me.

8. Only problems I've had is a slight uneven black level on analog inputs (which Panny service is seeking to correct), red push on SD, and minor false contouring on SD cable and DVD.

9. Today's ED prices are well worth it to me. I've gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of my set over the last 6 mths. Life's too short to sit and wait years for prices to hit the floor and around $2k was my comfort zone.

10. I've learned the two most important specs on a plasma are it's color palette and black level. Panny has CRT level blacks which are a joy to watch in the dark. I watched a Pio Elite and found it's grayish blacks very distracting. When Panny finally offers 12-bit processing, I'll be hard pressed to find a fault in their PQ.

#52 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Pioneer 433CMX

During the time, it was "upgradable" where you could add a DVI input card.

The Color on the Picture

Size, wish it were larger. (I sit about 12' back)

I bought the A303 DVI card, wish it had two DVI or a DVI and HDMI.

More inputs.

SD (via DirecTV) looked better than expected.

So far so good.

Some SD channels got blotchy, but I expected that.

I bought mine about a year and a half ago and I thought they were worth it.

IMO, today's prices (especially commercial versions) are worth it.

Based on what's commonly asked.

43" looks good at 12' but 50" would look even better.