OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2134 Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony KDE 50XS955
Looked the best in the show room and had all the features that I wanted.
HDTV Picture quality both via cable and OTA.
Some older DVDs don't look as good as on my RPTV.
Features I wish I had? Separate input box (like the Pioneers).
More comprehensive manual, and better, more detailed information on Sony website (knowledge base).
OTA boradcasts are incredible.
No problems.
Prices are too high.
Don't knock the Sony Plasmas. They're every bit as good as Panasonic, Pioneer, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2134 Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic th-50px50u

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Price and picture quality

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

Picture quality

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

Only1 HDMI input, not a lot a flexibility in adjusting user settings.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

2nd or 3rd HDMI input

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Fix the green tint issue

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

Visual impact of the picture

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

Had to do a lot of adjusting to get rid of the overall green tint and "Neon green " coloration

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Yes

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

post #63 of 2134 Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by markrubin

Thanks Mark.
post #64 of 2134 Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 PM

1. The "Model" you have. -- Panny HT42PD50U

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". -- Looks great in store. Read lots of good things here. Great price in store.

3. What you like best about your Plasma. -- Has to be the picture. Very clean and comparable to the 34" HD Sony CRT I just returned. Remote lites up a cool red.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. -- Menu system it a little odd: page down to get more Picture features, etc. Built in speakers aren't necessary. Can't change inputs with just one push - have to go into menu and then select DVD or Cable input.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. -- A 3rd Component input

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. -- Ship it with the table stand installed.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. -- how light it is.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. -- Did notice the logo on the floor of the UFC octagon would switch between lime green and bright yellow as the camera angle changed.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. -- Absolutely.

post #65 of 2134 Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
mlv

1. The "Model" you have. -- Panasonic HT42PD50U

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". -- Best picture for the price; looked better than sets costing much more; good reviews for Panasonic ED plasmas.

3. What you like best about your Plasma. -- Doesn't get very warm like other plasmas; picture quality and picture size (the TV it replaced was a 25 year old Hitachi 27").

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. -- Confusing to get it to switch from TV source to DVD to Xbox.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. -- Cable Card

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. -- I think a black bezel would be better for viewing, but the silver looks fine when it's not on.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. -- How cool it runs.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. -- None yet. Except my kids (teens) have forgotten to turn it off a couple of times.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. -- I got a great price. It wasn't any more than a high-end HDTV tube set.

I was really worried about the extreme green push I saw on some display models in stores and even more so when I read on this forum that other folks had seen the same problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my unit. Only once on a recent HD cable broadcast of a CSI episode did a cornfield seem too bright green. But this was the only time I've noticed a bit of a green push, and it wasn't annoying. The CC saleswoman [surprise! actually knowledgable!] told me just to bring it back in 30 days and they'd give me my money back or exchange it if it was too green, knocked some more $$ off the sale price, and I bit. Mine was made in March 2005; maybe Panasonic figured out what the problem was by then.

Overall, I'm very glad I bought it. Except now I have a house full of teens playing Halo after school. I hope Panasonic is right when they say they've got the burn-in problem pretty much solved... Plasma + teens = ???
post #66 of 2134 Old 05-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

1. The "Model" you have: Panny th-50px50u

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model": price/Panny reputation

3. What you like best about your Plasma: the beautimous picture

4. What you don't like about your Plasma: I have to break the *&^%(* thing in before watching programs with static images (BB games, Sportscenter, etc.)

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had: more inputs (i.e., RGB)

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma: Do NOT set color management 'on' by default. In fact, it should be gotten rid of completely.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma: PQ was better than expected.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma: HDMI connection.....it's mostly a H10 issue. Researching/solving green issue.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it: The new Pannys, yes.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged: meh.

post #67 of 2134 Old 05-14-2005, 09:12 AM

1. The "Model" you have - Pioneer 5050

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". Price and reviews.

3. What you like best about your Plasma - Sleek black bezel and removable speakers.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma - I wish it was a 55".

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had - Media card viewer.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma - Get rid of "burn-in". It's something that should have been solved by now.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. How awesome HD looked. I thought I was in heaven watching DVD, but HD is incredible.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma - None yet except for a slight, slight buzz.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it - Definitely. Technology being what it is, it will come down in price but I wish it were a couple grand less...

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged - Make sure you buy any high-priced plasma from an authorized dealer that will work with you if you have issues. It's worth the extra price.
post #68 of 2134 Old 05-14-2005, 11:53 AM

About 65-70 degrees and Sunny.

After a wet spring the flowers are in full bloom(I've been planting some in my yard today). Everything is green(usually a short window compared to somewhere like Portland). Birds are chirping...beautiful.

I'm going mt. biking in a bit...and skied over 2 feet of fresh snow on Wednesday.

AND I'm about to order a Panny 42" 7UY.

Love it!

post #69 of 2134 Old 05-14-2005, 12:10 PM
amx

1. The "Model" you have.
Philips 50PF9956

HD, Employee discount, Need fore new TV

HD PQ, DVD PQ, Looks great

Claims it had PIP but it does not!

PIP, More HDMI connectors

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
Include PIP and split screen, faster menu

The remote, Its silver metalic and looks hot

None so far. touch wood

Yea definately, Prices have gone down in the past year.

When you buy a TV. Always take a look at it in person. Everyone has different likes and what people recommed online might not be what you really wanted.

Akshay Dodeja
post #70 of 2134 Old 05-14-2005, 07:11 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped me find a new plasma for my family room. I've been using the Pioneer 1000HD for the past 2 year or so and then decided to move the plasma to my office and "upgrade" the family room. After a great deal of research I decided on the 55" Fujitsu and I couldnt be happier.

The picture is outstanding, and more importantly moving to a 55" from a 50" is a significant upgrade. I didnt expect the 5" to make that big a difference but it did.

I find the new piture quality to be more "life-like" it doesnt seem as overtly bright or exaggerated as the pio. But I must say at 2 years old the Pioneer still has a fantastic picture.
post #71 of 2134 Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer 4312 (Costco)

Costco guarantee is worth a lot to me. Picture quality was very nice when viewed in person, and comments here in AVS forum pushed me into the Pioneer camp.

Picture

Not enough inputs, has 1 dead pixel

More inputs. The AV receiver helps in this regard, but I with there was another HDMI or component input.

Include a connection to AV receiver for better remote useage (they have htis with the TV displays) and integration in the home system.

No surprises since I had researched this well.

Other than the dead pixel, nothing. Doesn't bother me enough to haul the panel back to Costco.

$3000 in 2005 dollars is not too bad, considering I paid more than that in 1996 for my old Mitsu 40" TV which weighs 250 lbs.

Anyone considering taking the plunge: do it, It was worth every penny to me and I am enjoying my Pio a lot. But be prepared to upgrade everything else in your system, too. I just got a Pioneer 1014 receiver, and soon I will have to get a better DVD player, an HD DTV receiver and/or DVR, and/or DVD recorder.
post #72 of 2134 Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM

1. TH-42PWD7UY

2. Price, great reviews, Panasonic Support.

3. Aesthetics, PQ , Component using VGA port works great!

4. Nothing.

5. Minor - Better Remote.

6. Keep up the good work, make it better and keep the prices low.

7. How amazing the PQ actually is, black levels, skin tones and color vibrance.

8. None

9. 5 year warranty, 30 day pixel guarantee and shipping all for less than 2K from TV Authority, well worth it.

10. I am amazed at the picture quality especially when watching Comcast HD. My friends come over and are in awe at the PQ. I find myself watching Discovery HD just for the WOW factor and to see what color of the spectrum I have never seen before
post #73 of 2134 Old 05-18-2005, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PD25/U (ED model)

a) Outstanding picture, confirmed by great reviews, here and elsewhere.

b) Complete, deluxe feature set, including ATSC tuner, PIP, Cable Card, HDMI, front inputs, Auto picture mode, and more.

c) Excellent price from local B&M with great customer support.

After a year and a half of research, choice narrowed to this and the Sony KE42M1. In the end, PQ seemed equal, but Panasonic's extra features and lower price won the day.

a) Picture quality, which is absolutely stunning on the best HD input (I still haven't gotten over how great the Super Bowl looked, and Cubs/Sox games are gorgeous).

b) PIP. I had never had it before, but now I'm addicted.

c) Auto mode. My room varies from extraordinarily bright in the day to much darker than normal at night. The set adjusts beautifully.

a) Loss of detail in shadow areas.

b) Uneven black on external inputs.

c) Styling. It's not bad, but I like many other plasmas better.

a) Detachable speakers. I don't use the built-in ones and would prefer a more compact cabinet.

b) Learning remote that integrated better with DirecTV and could turn entire HT system on or off with one button.

c) Additional HDMI inputs.

d) Separate memory for each input.

e) Direct input selection via the remote.

The latter three are minimal problems for me at this point, as I run external sources through an iScan Ultra, but will become more important when I ultimately add HDMI devices that don't go through the processor.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

Return a full featured ED set to the line. It shouldn't be necessary to have to move up two steps in the HD line to get things like PIP, etc. ED is all some people want or need. I love the fact that my set feels like a luxury unit, not one that has been stripped of features, even though it was at the low end of the plasma price spectrum.

a) Crystal clear HD OTA pictures from my 40 year old rooftop antenna through my built-in ATSC tuner in an area where analog pictures are unwatchable due to multipath.

b) My best picture (confirmed by DVE) came using factory settings (Standard or Auto). I spent a month trying everyone's recommendations and was never quite satisfied. After the first 100 hours, I decided to recalibrate, and tried the factory settings (which I never had before! ). They gave me colors that were nearly perfect, except for green (which looks fine, even if it doesn't test perfectly).

a) Loss of shadow detail in dimly lit HD scenes.

b) Uneven blacks. To correct this, I darken the output from my DVD player, but that leads back to the same loss of shadow detail I have in HD.

I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't think they were. Today's prices are even better, of course, than what I paid at Christmas time. This purchase was a stretch for me, but I haven't regretted it for a minute.

a) My PQ is excellent to good from all sources (OTA HD, DVD, Laserdisc, DirecTV SD, and videotape) although my iScan Ultra deserves part of the credit.

b) Now that I'm past the first 100 hours, I tend to watch SD in 4:3, not because the distorted shape bothers me, but because it looks sharper to my eye. For the most part, it looks as good as it does on my 32 Sony CRT.

c) I've had my Plasma for five months, and still get a thrill out of it every time I see it, on or off. Even though prices continue to tumble, I'm not sorry I didn't wait any longer.
post #74 of 2134 Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 PM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic 42PWD7UY

price, great reviews from here, all the features I need.
The picture!!!! I just got it setup this afternoon. Picture from Dish thru s-video is very good, dvd's thru component are simply incredible!!

Nada

Nada so far...

How amazing the picture was just with factory settings. Have to run my DVE calibrations this weekend.

Nada, only been on for a few hours.

Most definitely, I have been watching and investigating plasma monitors for a year now. The price is finally where my budget could afford it and I am more than happy with the purchase.

I simply can't believe the difference between a showroom and my living room!!! My whole home theater setup is now complete. Anyone sitting on the edge trying to decide if they should buy now....DO IT!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former
post #75 of 2134 Old 05-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cheridave
I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Just got a new display? Post it here ONLY: please do not start a new thread

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have. Philips 50PF9956

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". PQ and Size

3. What you like best about your Plasma. Overall Quality

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. The owners manual is pathetic, i

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. More HDMI inputs, or at least a DVI input.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. Learn to write an owners manual.

The weight, 127 lbs.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. Hooking it up to all of my stuff.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Absolutly!

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. Television features, finish is excellent. Remote is really nice.

Thanks.

Dave

post #76 of 2134 Old 05-22-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Hitachi 55" 55HDT51

I wanted to buy local, and this is the biggest one our local Rex had. They gave me a
good deal, and I had read good things about this set from professional installers online.

I am really impressed with the picture quality, and the quality of computer graphics (I
am using it for my main computer monitor as well)

So far nothing.

I can't really think of a thing I would want unless I could say even bigger screen.

Oh, I just thought of one thing... A discrete code for selecting the RGB input. I have all
the other discretes...

How much I had to reduce the contrast and brightness once I got it home. Now I
understand why torch mode will cause burn in.

None

Hmmmm, that's a hard one to answer. Obviously I think it is, cause I paid it, but I do
think the prices are outrageous. That's what you live with when you are an early
adapter though.

I love this set, and recommend it to anyone in the market for a plasma. Have fun
shopping.

Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #77 of 2134 Old 05-26-2005, 06:25 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic 42PX50U

Panasonic reputation, good SD stretch modes, great picture quality, relatively low price. Almost everything i own is Panasonic or Technics and i fully trust the brand.

The excellent picture quality, the black bezel, and lots of inputs.

A. Lack of stretch modes when watching 4:3 programming on the digital/HD channels.

B. Lack of Variable Audio Output. The TV's volume control has no effect on the audio outputs so those of us who connect all their video sources to the TV can't control the audio being sent to the HT Reciever using the TV's volume control - we must use the Reciever's volume control instead. They took this away on these new models. I refuse to use my HT Receiver as a switcher as i like my components connected directly to the display and send one audio signal to the reciever instead. For most people this isn't a problem though.

C. Lack of individual input settings memory.

D. The center of the table stand is open and exposes the cables (i prefer the solid center of the commercial stand which would hide the cables).

E.. Funky "either/or but not both" ATSC/QAM tuner and only one RF input.

F. General removal of several handy features found in earlier models. The equivalent Samsung models have WAY more features and flexibility for the same price

G. Too much silver plastic, but the black bezel on the HD models at least makes it tolerable. I think i'm going to paint the table stand satin black sometime down the road

A. Stretch modes on the HD channels (see #6A below)

B. Variable Audio Output like they had on earlier models (see #6B below).

C. More color adjustability (like separate red, blue, and green settings)

D. Separate tuners for OTA and QAM and a separate RF input for each. As it is you either have to set up the internal tuner for either OTA or QAM, but it cannot do both together on these new Pannys which is absurd when paying this much for a display.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

A. Give us stretch modes on the HD inputs with 720p and 1080i signals. 4:3/non-HD programming on the digital channels looks fantastic, but the TV locks these signals in 4:3 mode and displays black bars left and right which invites burn in when watching 4:3 shows on the HD channels. Enabling stretch modes would make owners of these displays very happy i'm sure. My HD cable DVR (SA8000HD) can be set to zoom or stretch the 4:3 image on the HD channels, but the TV only allows this to occur within the pillarboxed 4:3 area on the screen so there's just no way to remove the black bars left and right no matter what i do. If i want to watch it in full screen, i have to tune to the corresponding analog channel so i can stretch it but then i don't get that clean digital picture quality. It's my biggest disappointment with this unit. My only hope now is that broadcasters start to transmit all 4:3 programming in widescreen on their digital channels.

B. Give us individual input settings memory so we can fine tune the TV's settings for each video component connected to the TV.

C. When you have Audio Output jacks on the back of the unit, give us the option of selecting Fixed or Variable Audio Output so we can choose the setting that works best with our particular setup. Previous models had this feature but they've taken it away on these new models. Bad move.

D. Have separate ATSC and QAM tuners, each with their own RF input. The way they do it now is stupid and semi useless.

How good SD looks. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my 32" Panny HD-ready tube TV, but after fine tuning the settings SD now looks a little better than it does on the tube TV.

Green push. It was real bad for the first few days before i found the right settings to make it go almost completely away. It's still slightly there on some scenes and some channels but tolerable.

The price gap between HD and ED models seems a bit too large, but prices are coming down enough that more of the masses will choose plasma over RPTV. But i do get the feeling that Panasonic has taken away or left out features to increase their profit levels while still keeping it price-competitive with the other brands. I'd be willing to spend a hundred or two more to get the features that they've taken away or chosen not to include.

This is my first plasma and even though i thought the picture quality looked good in stores even with what looked to be good feeds, it looks even better in my home.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #78 of 2134 Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 PM

After a year of information gathering, I finally bought a Pioneer 5050HD. I cannot be more pleased with my choice. Here are some details for other prospective buyers.

Vendor: I bought it from Satellite and Sound of Tempe, AZ. They are one of the authorized online vendors for Pioneer plasmas, and the TV was priced quite attractively. On top of that, Dave Getz is one of the most professional mail order vendors I had the pleasure of dealing with. He promptly and clearly answered all my questions prior to the sale and never pressured me into buying anything. He also provided tracking info and packaging/inspection/delivery tips which turned out to be very useful. I'm a completely satisfied customer and I'd recommend them without reservation.

Shipment: I ordered the TV on a Friday late afternoon, and the TV was shipped from Dallas on Monday. It arrived in the Bay Area on Wednesday and I took delivery on Thursday (I was out of town on Wednesday). The shipper was Watkins Motor Freight, which turned out to be a superb outfit. They were able to bring the TV over within an hour of the initial phone call. The 5050 is shipped in a VERY LARGE carton that sits on top of a wooden crate (total weight ~ 198 lbs). Per Dave's suggestion, I asked the delivery person to help me unpack the large carton which he gladly agreed to do (I had no room to store the large carton and no use for the wooden base). Inside the large box, there are a total of four boxes (the PDP, media receiver, speakers, and tabletop stand). The delivery guy helped my move the smaller boxes inside the house. He also took the outer box and the wooden crate away. In these days of computer-optimized delivery businesses, it is great to see that companies such as Watkins are able to deliver a superior customer experience and still remain viable.

Setup: Our viewing distance is about 10 ft. The 5050 is connected to the following video sources:
-- Comcast Motorola 6412 twin-tuner HD DVR (connected via DVI->HDMI and component (for A-B comparisons))
-- Harman Kardon DVD25 DVD player (connected via component)
-- Comcast digital cable (via cable into antenna A)
-- Powerbook G4 (occasionally via the DVI (analog) port out of the Powerbook into the media receiver's HD-15 PC in port)

Ergonomics: The Pioneer desktop stand is very appealing to the eye and quite functional (it swivels and tilts). Despite reports to the contrary elsewhere, I find the media receiver to be exceptionally quiet. Perhaps it helps to have it open to air circulation. The only time I hear a buzz from the PDP is with a mostly-white screen with audio on mute. Not a concern.

Image Quality:
As mentioned here many times before, the 5050 has exceptional color rendering. Blacks are the usual Pioneer black, which is a dark gray. It's perfectly fine with me as long as the colors are rendered correctly. The biggest surprise for me was how good the deinterlacer and scaler were. A second big surprise was how good analog cable looked on this TV.

-- Analog and digital SD cable: One of the reasons people shy away from PDPs (especially larger sizes) is how bad analog and SD channels look in showrooms. Fear not (as long as you have a strong cable signal at home -- satellite dish owners, your mileage may vary). Reception on analog channels is very good through the built-in tuner. All the network channels are also available as digital simulcasts on the HD network channels when the programming is not in HD. These digital simulcasts have slightly better picture quality than analog, but you lose some flexibility in sizing the picture (e.g., cinema mode not available for SD broadcasts on HD channels). In any case, I found analog and SD programming quite watchable.

-- HD DVR: I set the DVR to 1080i for HD sources and to 480i for SD/analog. As expected, the picture quality is definitely better through the DVI output compared to component. On component, there is visible staircasing and loss of sharpness. The DVR is a mixed blessing; it has a great feature set but it appears to be rushed to market with bugs and all. In any case, I'm glad that I don't own the DVR and that I can go to the local Comcast office and swap it for another one whenever I need to (in fact, I already did once). The playback quality for recorded HD programs is identical to live broadcasts -- excellent.

-- DVD: Perhaps my one disappointment is the quality of DVD pictures. The Harman Kardon is three years old and it was a highly-rated DVD player at the time. I found that the deinterlacer in the Pioneer does a better job than the deinterlacer in the DVD player, so I just let it pass 480i instead of 480p. The DVD picture quality is similar to a very good analog 480i broadcast (not surprising, perhaps, since both are 480i). Perhaps I was expecting sharper video from DVDs or perhaps I'm spoiled by the great HD material on TV. Trying to decide whether it's worth investing in a DVD player that can output via DVI or HDMI. The full-digital path inside the TV (through the HDMI ports) might make a difference. Opinions welcome!

-- Computer: The TV only accepts computer connections up to 1280*768 - 60 Hz. That's unfortunate, because my Powerbook synchs up with an NEC 50" PDP at work at native resolution (1366*768). As a result, the picture has slight black banding. In any case, the picture quality is excellent.

Summary:
-- Am I glad I bought the Pioneer? Absolutely. The feature set is hard to beat, and the picture is exceptional.
-- Am I glad I bought a 50" instead of 43"? Absolutely. As my wife pointed out, there are lots of people who buy 42-43" TVs and wish they bought a larger size; there's probably nobody who bought a 50" and regrets it. My only worry, analog/SD picture quality, turned out to be a non-issue.

Thanks to all the forum members for their valuable contributions -- this forum turned out to be a great asset in searching for the right TV.
post #79 of 2134 Old 05-30-2005, 02:55 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase.

You mentioned buzzing. You mentioned, it does not bother you, but is it annoying to anyone else in the house. Because some people have very sensitive ears, & some prople don't.

You also did not like Pio black level. Did you adjust or DVE yet?

Thanks for your input.

JHT
post #80 of 2134 Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 AM

I only heard some buzzing (during white scenes with the sound muted) because I was paying extra attention to it. Nobody else complained about anything (and I have the most sensitive ears in the house). Certainty no reason to replace the set. Re: the black levels, so far I adjusted one of the inputs using DVE. I eyeballed the other inputs.
post #81 of 2134 Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
TH-50XVS30

PQ, Black bezel

PQ

Nothing so far

Wish the Photoview feature supported Compact Flash cards. It only supports
SD and PCMCIA (up to 1 GB).

None.

The standard base is quite hefty (~ 32 lbs). Now have it mounted on a Peerless articulating arm.

Yes.

Wayne

"Showtime!"
post #82 of 2134 Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic 42PX50U 42" plasma

Price, performance, quality

Great picture, ease of use

Short warranty

PIP

Design a screen that could be warranteed for 24-36 months by you

Nothing really. It looked good out of the box and did what is was supposed to.

None

Yes, if the product continues to work for 8-10 years. Otherwise, I can buy a big CRT that will last that long for less $.

I am wondering whether the Circuit City extended warranty is worth it. I'm not a worrier and it seems to be a "peace of mind" kind of thing mostly.

Chip Gallo

Visit my video site at Vimeo
post #83 of 2134 Old 06-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Yay! I purchased a Pioneer 61" PDP-614MX commercial monitor, which shares certain attributes with the Pioneer Elite consumer line according to posts here (I sure hope they are right). It is wall mounted.

Unlike the Elite line, the 614MX lacks speakers (and has a black instead of silver bezel) so I purchased the side mount Pioneer brand speakers that fit it. Piece of cake. And I'm tone deaf anyway.

I do not need a tuner (also lacking in the 614MX) since my H-10 HD DirecTV box handles OTA HD channels. My H-10 HD DirecTV box is connected by component cable; I tried using it's HDMI output but component was sharper.

I also purchased the NeuNeo HVD2801 DVD player, which upconverts not only to 720p and 1080i, but 1080p. While the 614MX cannot take 1080p, when I output 1080p from the 2801 (in a test using component connection as 1080p is not supported through HDMI), the 614MX recognized the output signal as 1080p on the screen, so the 2801 is actually upconverting to 1080p. The 2801 is connected by HDMI from the DVD player to the DVI connection of the 614MX. The 2801 also reads HVD format high definition discs recorded in native 720p. I purchased one HVD of a documentary of birds flying all over the place. At native 720p, I honestly do not care what I am watching.

I had stupid adventures getting my non-HD DirecTV channels sharp based on the myriad of screen size permutations that are available when considering both the 614MX and H-10 each have multiple screen size options, as well as getting my 16:9 DVDs to play full screen on my 16:9 monitor. Harder than it sounds.....
post #84 of 2134 Old 06-02-2005, 01:45 PM

I got a new Marantz 42" Plasma. It rocks on HD signals but I am disappointed on regular stations. I have both cable and dish at the present time. Dish is somewhat better but my old Sony CRT kills it on regular stations. On the plasma on just the regular stations everything looks like you are looking through heat
post #85 of 2134 Old 06-02-2005, 02:30 PM

Greetings to all, my first post.

Last Sunday I purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX50U.

I drove up to Kennewick, WA and purchased the set at CC. I checked out both CC and BB. I was underwhelmed by BB. The selection was poor, some of their display sets had what looked like burn-in. They had sold the display model of which ever Panasonic they carried. The sales clerk knew very little about plasma tv's and he looked like a tweaker.

CC was a different story. Knowledgable sales clerk (Ryan), and a good selection. They had the 42 inch Hitachi with the swivel stand there too. I really liked the styling of it, but the Panasonic picture was much crisper. I was suprised how big the box was, but it fit in my Honda Element just fine. After I drove it home, I could see why it was so big, It was very well packed.

I was suprised how heavy the set is! People really mount these on the wall? The stand will do fine for me.

I am dutifully breaking it in now. The picture looks great. I will be signing up for Dish Network HD soon. I hope that being way out in the country doesn't mess that up.

Hooking up my DVD player, X-Box and Dish receiver was an adventure, mostly because of my klutzy audio/video skills.

I can see that I will wish the 42PX50U had another HDMI input.

So far I really like my new toy. My friends are blown away by it.

This forum has been really helpful to me in making my decsion on which plasma to buy. I will continue to follow this forum to maximize the enjoyment I will get from
my new TV.
post #86 of 2134 Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 AM

The following four 50" plasmas were evaluated to decide which one would replace my nearly 3 year old Pioneer Pro 1000HD Elite 50" plasma.

Fujitsu P50XHA40US

Pioneer Pro 1120 and Pro 1010

Panasonic TH50XVS30

The Fijitsu won. Had the best blacks and overall picture quality.

(Remainder of previous post from a different thread deleted).
post #87 of 2134 Old 06-05-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Good post. Of course, I can't help but agree with your assessment.
post #88 of 2134 Old 06-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 271

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #89 of 2134 Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Pioneer PDP 5050HD

It's PQ, and it's aesthetics. Just beautifull inside and out. Media Reciever a big plus as well, since all equipment is remote located. I purchased the pioneer 10M extension cord as well.

Looks stunning in HD, but I am impressed with it's SD quality. Moving from a nice 36" CRT to theis 50" beast concerned me since 95% of my cuyrrent viewing is SD. It looks great, and it's internal de-interlacer or line doubler or whatever the heck is in there is doing a great job. Very minimal jaggies.

Remote is like a foot long, but honestly I use a harmony so that isn't too big of a deal.

Tell me that this source is 720p, I just cant get a "confirmation" that the source is HD, perhaps I haven't found it yet. Also, come with a "Break-In" setting for contrast and brightness that folks can just select, and provide a timer. Automate this for me.

Describe the technology in the manual, I have to read press releases to know what the unit does frolm a technology standpoint.

SD quality.

None, very well packaged. almost overkill.

Yup, nice to be the only one on the block too.

Truly a great set.
post #90 of 2134 Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Post #1000 in 2.5 years....never thought I'd get that many on any forum, but that just shows me how much this stuff kicks ass....1/2 in the plasma forum, 1/2 in the HDTV forum listening to "real" HDTV owners tell me I'm not watching HDTV on an ED plasma...looks pretty real to me...more real than theirs...shhhhhhhhhh.

1--Model--Daewoo 42SPM--see gallery
Probably the lone Daewoo posting here (it's the NEC plasma 1 generation behind the current Pioneer ED by NEC)
2--Convinced because NEC glass and price
The $1999 Compusa special Superbowl week in 2004, + I got a 5 year EW on my Visa CC for $189 (low because it was under $2000 TV)
3--LOVE colors and mounting
When viewing 1080i stuff (CBSHD NFL) Still in awe of the USAF Thunderbirds special on INHD....so damn real, and I've seen them live too. The family room it's mounted is one of the sweetest homes for a plasma. We bought this model knowing the plasma was going over the FP, I've always been the guy with the "sound system" / technology stuff, so it fits me pretty good. I had a poor boys home theater that rumbled pretty good in my fraternity house in the early 90s.
4--Didn't like the Daewoo badge, and the silver bezel
When I repainted the bezel Gloss Black, I popped off the Daewoo badge---still find myself defending the Daewoo plasma and explaining the "glass by NEC" part, and that Daewoo doesn't really manufacture the plasma.
5--I wish it was 50" (this is my 2nd Plasma 1st Sampo 42S6)
Now that I have children it might be a long time....but I dream of a Pio 504CMX.
6--Change warranty policy
When viewing 480i material, I get a darker band down the left side of the screen about 4" thick, and they want me to take it down and ship it back--hence I still have the band...never with HD stuff or 480p DVD.
7--Surprised at PQ
Still amazed at how goddamn good a budget "Daewoo" plasma looks...awesome contrast and colors over my older Sampo, and on par with my best friends Pio 43HD--it ain't Daewoo that's good, it's NEC.
8--Problems see 6
9--Todays prices definately worth it
The Sampo 42S6 (Gateway ED) was $3900 after mount and deliver, this one blows it away everywhere and was almost $2K cheaper, now the Pio ED is a few hundred under this with a billion colors.!

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page