post #1081 of 2138 Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic 50PX80u

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".
Size. Reviews. Great sale price at a local store.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.
Good picture quality. Great price.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.
Nothing so far

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.
More color controls (red push)

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
Go back to the matte bezel. Gloss black is too reflective.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.
HEAVY!

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.
None so far.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.
A 50" 720p plasma for under $1200 is definitely worth it. I paid $1000 for a 42" 7th gen 720p Pioneer just 11 months ago, and that was a good deal at the time.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2138 Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

Size. Reviews & User feedback from other AVS members. Great price from an AVS Sponsor.

PQ, Motion is handled much better than LCD, THX: Proper color/grayscale.

100 hr Break-in, IR potential, 24P/48Hz mode flicker issue (may be correctable w/firmware update from Panasonic eventually -- unconfirmed whether a F/W fix is in the works yet) -- 30P/60Hz is the recommended viewing setting, which does not have the flicker issue.

O.o good question..

- A firmware update to unlock more control over color and gamma [at least for the non-THX modes].

[The following answers to this question are general to plasma technology and its manufactures, not specifically a brand or model]
- User ability to set an 'automatic' screensaver to activate at a user specified interval [similar to the Off/On timer, but puts the TV into low power mode].
- Ability to detect station ID logo's and remove them or at least force the alpha level to make them highly transparent (barely visible) to reduce chance of IR, since so many bone-heads of those stations are putting them there for and in many cases for long periods of time. Or maybe detect and relocate it to a different corner of the screen every few minutes so they aren't statically in one location. Its a video overlay in most cases, should be able to detect and manipulate accordingly. [detection of GAME HUD's when connected to a PC and override the alpha level of video where the HUD appears would be good too -- but could argue game developers could do a better job of putting alpha setting options on their HUDs too]

- Industry standardized 24P/48hz with flicker free results [as a mandated quality control requirement from all HD manufactures].

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
"Go back to the matte bezel. Gloss black is too reflective." I agree with this, but would add to it:

Offer easy user replacable (and inexpensive) bezel replacements for a more personalize look [like you do for Cell phones, change face plates, etc].

Along these same lines, I'd like the ability to change out the shiny glass for something a little more muted, just enough to counter some more of the reflective qualities, but not so much as to mess up the viewability of the picture quality.

"HEAVY!" again, agree with this too. Looks larger at home than on the showroom floor too.

PENDING

I think they all overpriced by at least $400 [in some cases more than that]. Especially at the well known B&M stores. No reason to sell at higher price points, HDTV's are selling in record #'s. Easily make up the difference in volume sales (this is how little companies become VERY big companies virtually overnight, by being aggressive on price/performance for mass market sales) .. Everyone remembers how Visio came out of no where, now they are major sellers in the HD market.

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #1083 of 2138 Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
1. TH-50PZ80U

2. Wanted a Panny, thought the 85U wasn't worth the extra price (for me)

3. It's big, black, and beautiful.

4. The 100 hour break in time seems way longer than 100 hours.

5. More controls, Having the tuner to PIP with the HDMI input would be cool.

6. None

7. None, did my research.

8. None so far.

9. I think I got an excellent price on this set.
post #1084 of 2138 Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Pioneer 5020 -- fiffty-inch plasma introduced in mid-2008

Absolute rave reviews, total picture quality.

Exquisitely sharp picture and breath-taking black levels that make colors pop realistically.

Nothing.

None.

Sell them all at the astonishing sale price I paid and quickly eliminate every other competitor.

That you can easily watch a 50-inch screen from 14 feet across the room and see it beautifully.

Two days in, none so far.

See #6 above. Even getting a great deal, spending some $3,000 on a TV is asking a lot. I wasn't committed to this TV only, I could have been reasonably satisfied with something a little less spendy than the original MSRP but a Labor Day sale price finally got me and my wife to jump in happily. I paid some $450 LESS at a big-name dealer than I had been offered anywhere online.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

I've been reading reviews and regularly stopping into four or five major dealers for years. I'm not rich, I'm not poor but I was damn sure not going to pay too many thousands of dollars for just a dog-gone TELEVISION. Still, know that I've been a professional videographer in the past, I insist on a high-quality image when I do watch TV, so I was simply willing to wait. Wait for a TV that satisfied my high standards and satisfied my determination to not break the bank. Frankly, I was willing to wait through this coming football season but when what many experts are calling "The Best TV Ever" was suddenly available at the best price ever, I quickly said Yes. I'm deliriously happy because not only is the picture perfect right out of the box but I'm very confident that this TV will be with me for the next 10 to 15 years. (Or until Hologram-Vision becomes available at less than a thousand bucks!)
post #1085 of 2138 Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN50a650

The picture quality and functions available and great comments from actual owners

TOC, outer glass paneling, touch controls.

its going to have to go through a break-in period. Nothing really, its great.

If the LAN port could pick up network drives and play content directly off of it.

Dont get rid of the tweakability options and add a network drive recognition software, that would be nice

the depth and natuarality of picture, very clean

None so far, only had it for two days

if it fits your budget i say go for it

Dont let it make a couch potato out of you.
post #1086 of 2138 Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH58PH10UKA

Reliable operation at altitude ( rated to 9100', I live at 7200') Reviews in this forum, price, picture quality of plasma's in general

The size, it is a perfect fit for my room, picture quality is wonderful,the picture is very easy on the eyes. Its quiet. Even non HD programming off DirecTV looks good, very satified with the Blu-ray and DVD viewing. I like being able to switch modes from Dynamic to cinema to standard at the touch of a button.

could use more HDMI inputs and more inputs for older equipment. A bit of an energy hog at 650 watts. More user friendly zoom and stretch modes. And I only get to watch it an hour or two a week.

Can't seem to get the non HD programs to stretch proportionally both vertically & horizontally without some fiddling, a one button push for that would be nice. My kids change the settings and it takes a little time to get it back right so most the time I don't bother to get the stretch/zoom right for non HD programs from DirecTV.

Make the this 58" a 1080P like the PF models

It arrived undamaged, I expected an excellent picture and got it so no surprise there. It was fairly easy to install on the wall, the mounts are solid. I didn't need to calibrate it right off.

none yet, I still need to calibrate the colors as it is 9 months old and the factory settings were very good at the beginning but now they could use an adjustment- just been to busy to get to it.

I was very happy with the price as I shopped for a year and waited for my price target. My kids watch many hours of TV so I didn't mind spending the bucks. I spent $500 for a 31" sony trinitron CRT 10 years ago and my 58"PH is 3-4 times the display that was.

This forum was more than just helpful, it decided my purchase for me, without it I would have probably been disappointed in what I decided to buy. I only wish I could participate more and answer newbees questions as everyone answered mine- a big thanks to all those experienced people in this forum.
post #1087 of 2138 Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung HTP5044 720p

Black Friday Price.

HD picture for cable, dvd, hd-dvd, bd.

Remote is not ergonomic.

1080p, but at the price I paid, no qualms.

None.

How much better the picture is compared to our 1080p 46" Aquos.

None.

If you buy at the right price, they can be a steal. Don't buy the latest technology. You can save 60-70% off new models and the picture quality doesn't reflect the massive difference in cost.

Mounting this 50" to the wall, and running the wires through the wall makes our living room unit "jaw dropping," not to mention the hd picture. Amazing set for a set under $890 out the door.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #1088 of 2138 Old 09-18-2008, 01:44 PM

i just want to buy one. 42" sony
post #1089 of 2138 Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 AM

1. The "Model" you have. 42px80u

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". Great reviews/great price

3. What you like best about your Plasma. Everything LCD had problems with plasma is great. Motion blur, washed out colors ( compared to plasma anyway) great blacks and everything easle.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. ummmmmm. nothing lol.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. It honestly has everything i need.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. None.. i am too happy with this set i honestly can't find nothing wrong with it besides break in

how smooth motion and how great colors were.

none

Oh yeah for sure. best 839.99 i've ever spent.

I would just love to say this is a great set for a perfect price for me.

Thanks.

Dave
post #1090 of 2138 Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN50A650
Several positive reviews/comparisons. AVS member comments. TV "fit"
for my basement room environment. Price at Amazon.

Overall cosmetic appearance, screen picture and detailed picture settings
Fingerprint magnet
Perhaps another component input (has two and 4 HDMI - sweet)
Perhaps a tad more anti-reflective work. But it is superb in my no external light basement.
That people actually complain about the red TOC. I suppose in a bright
room it is more prominent. From all the fuss, without researching, I thought the red was actually a powered red light. Was disappointed when all it was was some red hi-lighted plastic. Would have taken the option to power up the sucka.

Absolutely none.
Certainly was at Amazon
By all means practice SOME safety regarding IR and burn in at the onset. But I am already gaming on the TV after maybe 10 to 12 hours of break-in DVD with NO IR or Burn in. Just proper settings and care. Worked on my CRT RPTV for three years with hundreds of hours of gaming with no issue

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
post #1091 of 2138 Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer Elite 1150HD

Great reviews. Excellent display. Bought a Sammy n then a Panny and then decided that Pioneer is the route for me to go...

Looks great. Great Picture quality. Great Blacks...Unmatched contrast ratio..

Its not something that I don't like but I wish it was a 1080P...But I sit 12-13 feet away from it so I can't tell a difference. It's just something that's in my head...need to get over it..

Has everything I was looking for.

None

I really thought I'd see a difference at some point (768p vs. 1080p) but so far I haven't. I'm very suprised with the picture quality on this set. Trust me, I knew what I was getting but I just can't believe it looks so good!

None. Yet.

Umm...forking over ~$1800 for a TV is kinda ridiculous but that is the norm nowadays...so I guess they are. They have gotten cheaper. Pioneers are still a little expensive, but I just paid ~$1800 for something that once was priced at $3500. Good deal for me . I never thought I'd be able to afford a Pioneer on my budget...but I ended up getting one...an Elite at that...so to answer this question with one word..."yes".

This is an excellent plasma TV. I've gamed on this thing for hours at a time. No retention or burn-in at all. My previous displays were both excellent displays too but they had their own flaws. People complain about the dimness of the 8g pioneers...I have yet to see it. In the store, it is a little noticeable but once you bring it home...its not even a problem.
post #1092 of 2138 Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

Good reviews. Also, performance relative to the price is pretty good.

No input lag (Guitar Hero Expert player here) and handles motion really well (sports, etc.).

Room temperature increased noticeably. Break-in period.

Accept and display 24Hz properly. I know it's available in the PZ800U and PZ850U, but decided to get a "decent/good" set now and wait a year or so and get a top of the line model then.

Have all inputs located at the back of the TV... none in the front.

I was an LCD guy and after having the 40XBR4 for about 3 months and the 46XBR4 for 1 month (both returned due to dead/stuck pixels and clouding) decided to give plasma a shot and see what happens. Tried out the 42PX80U and was impressed by how it handled motion and no input lag that I could notice. Decided to go the 1080p route and returned it for the 42PZ80U. Raised my scores on most, if not all, the songs on Guitar Hero III. I game a lot and have been playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and Guitar Hero III. While I did notice IR, it goes away after a few minutes to an hour. I was really relieved.

There's 1 stuck pixel but after all the trips to Best Buy returning sets I just said screw it... I'm keeping it. I also can't stand the heat that it gives out.

Sure. You get what you pay for.

Anybody on the fence about plasma should at the very least give it a shot. You'll be surprised... I was.
post #1093 of 2138 Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM

There is a new technology on Plasma...

post #1094 of 2138 Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
B_S

1. The "Model" you have: Panasonic TH-50PZ85U

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model": My TH-37PX50U's power supply took a crap and rather than spend $400 to get it repaired I decided to buy new. Got a good deal on the PZ85U (and got a 5 year warranty this time). I've also always liked Panasonic plasmas.

3. What you like best about your Plasma: Depth of color, blacks, sharpness/detail, fluidity of motion.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma: So far, nothing.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had: I'd like to see 4 HDMIs on the back of the panel. Also ethernet and/or USB port. Possibly THX mode like the 800Us.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma: Break in the panels before they ship.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma: I was surprised how much better this set looks than my previous plasmas (TH-37PX50U and TH-50PX60U).

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma: None so far.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it: Yes, 3 years ago I paid ~ $1800 for the TH-37PX50U, 2 Years ago I paid ~ $3000 for the TH-50PX60U... 4 weeks ago I paid $1700 for the TH-50PZ85U.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged: If you're in the market for a new plasma, go 1080p. You'll be happier in the long run.

EDIT: Here's a little eye candy:

Xbox Live = Retaliation908
post #1095 of 2138 Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN50A650

The price, reviews, and my fiance (She loves the red ToC).

The picture quality, even with the settings I have for the break-in period.

I don't know if there's anything I don't like about it.

It's got all I need. More than enough inputs and 1080p. It's got some features I don't think I'll ever use, like the internet news/weather thing.

Keep up the good work on the products you make. That's pretty much it.

Really, the standard Definition looks a hell of a lot better than what people were saying. Watching both OTA broadcast and DVDs look spectacular, but not as nice as HD content.

I have on stuck pixel near the middle of my screen. The only way to notice it is to have an all red screen, then it looks black. But on a white screen it is a very light blue, so unless you're <1 ft from the screen you can't see it. Still makes me sad, but I won't go through the hassle of exchanging for a problem that isn't noticeable except under a abnormal conditions.

Well, seeing I got a 50 inch TV with such a spectacular quality of image for less than 1800, yes. Will they go cheaper, always. Should you wait? I think you'd be missing out on what HD has to offer now if you did.

No IR even though I watched TV and played some games with <10 hours on the set. Just don't go into a torch mode and leave a static image on for a long time and you should be fine. I was an LCD man for so long, but I'm glad I went Plasma
post #1096 of 2138 Old 10-05-2008, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
1. The "Model" you have.

LG 42PG25. (42PG6000 in Europe)

After looking at all the contenders for three months the LG 42PG20 & 25 always had consistently better results in terms of sharpness and color IMHO over the Panasonics and Samsungs in every placed I visited.

Picture quality.

Nothing so far

That the remote had buttons for antenna, cable and HDMI.

Have to think about it.

As an added surprise SD cable is very good, actually better than on my LG 32PC5RV 32" which is an EDTV.

None

Relatively speaking I find them all quite affordable, the current LG’s, I’ve found offered the best consistent value.

Overall I've found the LG's very good and it's too bad that they are not as highly regarded as they should be, probably because of their past history with the budget electronics maker Goldstar, from what I understand that is no longer the case.
But coming from the Audio side of things Samsung , Panasonic and Pioneer are also considered low end manufactures.

Also it should be noted that the Koreans have priced their electronics quite aggressively in hopes of capturing the market and so are in fact a much better purchase over the competition.
So I've done my homework and so far I'm happy with the results.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

post #1097 of 2138 Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TH-42PZ80U

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model"?

Months of research and in-store side-by-side comparisons with the same feed. Panasonic seemed to have very high reliability and picture quality reviews. I was able to confirm the PQ in store, as one vendor allowed me to use Tom's settings because I was mistrustful of the setting they had, which made all the KUROS look infinitely better. After my adjustment the gap closed between the two quite considerably. I actually don't think the red push is also quite as high as most people claim.

3. What you like best about your Plasma?

Picture quality. Black levels are excellent.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma?

I returned my first set due to 3 dead and 2 stuck pixels in the color of blue. My new set has 1 dead and 2 stuck pixels. Of course you have to be extremely close to see these. I am going to attempt to repair the stuck ones using the download available on this forum. Also, seems that every panel i have seen in-store, and the two now that I have had all have some very minor dents on the black bezel which you can see at very sharp angles (aprox 170 degrees). Must just be the way they are assembled or something.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had?

Wish it would have been broken-in from the factory.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the
"Manufacture" about your Plasma?

Work on making stronger bezels that are more resistant to denting.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma?

How light the set actually is.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma?

Dead, stuck pixels and the couple minor dents in the bezel. I am probably more anal than the average consumer, though.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it?

I got a 1080p for under a grand. That set was going for over 2 grand not that long ago. Will prices keep going down? Of course, but I have waited long enough.

Make sure you do your homework. And don't forget to view them in-store, making sure you are looking at the models side-by-side with the same feed. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, right?

Also, I wouldn't fall for the "bigger is better" argument if you , yourself can discern a noticeable degradations in PQ for those bigger sets. I debated the larger panel 720p vs smaller panel 1080p (both at in the same price range) for about a month. However, I could in fact see a difference between the two on blu-ray and PS3 from a distance at which most claim they cannot. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Panasonic is a well-regarded brand and rightly deserves that recognition. I have no problems buying additional sets from them in the future.

This forum is making me broke!
post #1098 of 2138 Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic Viera TH37PX80B

Excellent SD picture and excellent HD picture. Best of both worlds. Good price.

The natural Cinema-like picture and the fact that its fanless.

Possible screenburn and not bright whites. Also notice phosphor trails in some games.

Autoswitching for HDMI 2 and 3, better range on remote control, non-glossy bezel.

Continue making 37" models.

Picture quality on SD and HD, black levels and the sound from the internal speakers.

Bezel is a dust magnet!

Not really. I want everything for free!

I recommend anyone who wants to buy a Plasma but doesn't want to pay a premium, buy a Panasonic. Granted, Panasonic Plasma's don't match Pioneer Plasma's in terms of quality but there is a huge difference in price and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, Panasonic is top dog.

Highly recommended!

9/10
post #1099 of 2138 Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN50A450

Pretty good deal from bestbuy.com.

Very good picture quality.

Sounds awful.

For it's price range, lots of tradeoffs but wish it had more s-video inputs,
and a card reader.

Redesign the speakers/amp.

If the audio capabilities of a set are important to you, really give it a
listen inside the store to insure you can live with the sound.
post #1100 of 2138 Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN50a450

I like the Samsung brand, the sale price, and the free Samsung Blu-ray player that came with it.

I like the PQ and the size.

Nothing really, maybe the fact that it has to be babied for a little while first.I guess thats true of all plasmas though, isn't it?

PIP, DVI-in.

None.

How much it adds to the movie watching experience and HDTV channels.

None.

I think now they are as long as the quality remains at a high level.

I didn't start looking at this forum until after I had purchased this set so I didn't know about burn-in, shelf life, 1080i vs 1080p, torch mode, etc.I had my tv on torch mode for a day after I got it when I realised from these forums that I should turn things down a bit.I just wish that the manufacturers would put a warning at first boot about that.
post #1101 of 2138 Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer 5080hd

Best pq for the $$. All reviews positive and superior to many 1080p non kuros

hd Detail-amazing, 3d depth, no picture noise or off angle issues.

Heat, sd cable so-so.

got it all

Jazz up the base a bit

The amazing detail over the other hd sets I own.

None

More than worth it if you shop carefully-paid less than half msrp.

Buy this set before the are gone, an increadible bargain for jaw dropping hd.
post #1102 of 2138 Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD

Coming from a Toshiba CRT, I wanted at least the same or better PQ. Pioneer is the only tv that can come close to CRT blacks

Amazing PQ, colors are spot on, blacks are very good

Blacks could be a bit darker - on a full black screen in a pitch black room it is still easy to distinguish where the screen is, once you give your eyes a few seconds to adjust.

None

Keep the glass the same (Single pane) IMO this is one of the biggest advantages Pioneer has over other MFRs

Blacks not quite as dark as I expected, although still very good

None

Yes

Overall great TV. Only thing I could see that needs minor improvement is the blacks. Everything else is perfect.
post #1103 of 2138 Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssmu View Post

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD

Coming from a Toshiba CRT, I wanted at least the same or better PQ. Pioneer is the only tv that can come close to CRT blacks

Amazing PQ, colors are spot on, blacks are very good

Blacks could be a bit darker - on a full black screen in a pitch black room it is still easy to distinguish where the screen is, once you give your eyes a few seconds to adjust.

Overall great TV. Only thing I could see that needs minor improvement is the blacks. Everything else is perfect.

I got a Pioneer Kuro 6020 a couple of months ago so the comment about disappointment with the blacks interested me. I never had a CRT HDTV but the 6020 is my third HDTV, the others being a 50 inch RCA Scenium DLP and a 32 inch Sony XRB LCD. Based in my experience with those I must say that the blacks on the 6020 are mind boggling, the best I ever saw on an HDTV. As a result, the accuracy of colors and the shadow detail in darkly lighted scenes, particularly in 1080p BD movies, are incredible.
post #1104 of 2138 Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM

I agree, the blacks are amazing on the set. The one area where I noticed the blacks could be a little darker is during the intro of planet earth - where the sun comes up from behind the earth. Keep in mind this was in a pitch black room.

As long as there is normal content on the screen such as a 2.35:1 movie I really can't see the difference between the screen and the bezel at all.

On my CRT - a Toshiba 30 inch blacks were completely dark, although it had its own separate issues. Overall I would say the Pioneer is a huge improvement over my CRT in every area but black level.
post #1105 of 2138 Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighttsharpe View Post

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN50A450

Pretty good deal from bestbuy.com.

Very good picture quality.

Sounds awful.

For it's price range, lots of tradeoffs but wish it had more s-video inputs,
and a card reader.

Redesign the speakers/amp.

If the audio capabilities of a set are important to you, really give it a
listen inside the store to insure you can live with the sound.

Okay, I started perceiving additional problems with my new set, so I have called to have it picked up and returned for a refund. In addition to the poor sound quality, which I had settled to live with, a couple other more serious issues cropped up:

1. Started to notice a tendency for ir and burn in which caused me constant worry.

2. The capper was I started noticing the "green haze" effect. Greenish tinge on may images, especially light flesh tones.

Oh well, sayonara Samsung.
post #1106 of 2138 Old 10-11-2008, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssmu View Post

I agree, the blacks are amazing on the set. The one area where I noticed the blacks could be a little darker is during the intro of planet earth - where the sun comes up from behind the earth. Keep in mind this was in a pitch black room.

As long as there is normal content on the screen such as a 2.35:1 movie I really can't see the difference between the screen and the bezel at all.

On my CRT - a Toshiba 30 inch blacks were completely dark, although it had its own separate issues. Overall I would say the Pioneer is a huge improvement over my CRT in every area but black level.

The biggest limitation of CRT technology, it seems to me, is its inability to provide the large screen sizes available in modern flat panel displays. For example your 60 inch Kuro has nearly 4 times the screen area as your old 30 inch CRT did. That's a lot.
post #1107 of 2138 Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer Kuro 5020FD

Sony XBR CRT broke down and I wanted the most competent flat panel display to reproduce it's quality.

It's almost too gorgeous.

Blacks are almost too dark! Certain videogames that feature dark areas lose detail in the void. I've spent way more time than I imagined trying to find a good balance in the new Silent Hill game. Standard movie and TV watching has never been an issue. Also, the menus, while functional, could be better organized. Certain vital features can be layers deep and require many clicks.

None.

Menu issue. Also, the on-set buttons culd be easier to reach on the side.

Not only how great blacks look, but the colors really pop as well as the white levels.

None

Yes

It's essentially perfect. Any complaints I have are just minor nitpicks that don't translate into the quality of the image but mostly user convenience. I can't imagine a single soul would be displeased with this product.
post #1108 of 2138 Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TH-50PX80U
All the positive reviews on AVS forum, Screaming deal at Sears
Great TV, beautiful picture, tons of inputs,
Glossy black frame reflects a lot of light
a remote that was really capable of being universal(maybe I don't completely understand Viera Link)
They should put the hours display in an easily accessible menu, not buried in the service menu.
How amazing just an upconverted DVD looks on it, and how true the colors look. I'm using someone else's settings, and am in the break in, can't wait to try to get it optimized
Absolutely none.
$400 off at Sears, plus 10% off if you use their card, so 899 for a 50" plasma is a screaming deal
No problem with burn in yet, but am watching most everything in Zoom. A little disappointed in picture quality, but the best picture I have is an upconverted DVD or a Wii. Directv HD arrives tomorrow!!
post #1109 of 2138 Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM

1. The "Model" you have.
TH50PX80

Originally I was ready to buy a 42-46 Sharp Aquos as I set one up for the in-laws and was happy with the picture and had heard horror stories about plasma's problems (although none from anyone who actually owned one, interestingly). After doing (r)e-search on this site and others I became convinced that plasma was the way to go. Since my wife's budget precluded me from getting the Kuro or upper end Panny/Samsungs, we settled on a 42PX80. I wasn't heartbroken by the lack of 1080p as I don't have a source yet and at 8.5 feet viewing distance for this set, doesn't make a difference anyway. After three weeks of waiting and no TV in the store, we broke down and got the 50, with a $300 discount.

The sheer jaw dropping realism when a good HD signal is on it. The picture after only a week is amazing!
Lack of more extensive colour control features. Some digitizing (blocking) of fast transition pics on HD. I suspect that it is more my DBS reciever than the TV though.
See above.
A better user interface for adjusting the colour and gamma. The basic controls are OK, but a few more would be better.
The clarity of the picture watching Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD. I can't wait until I have a BD player!
None so far.
No. I understand the need to recoup R&D costs, but the entry price in Canada for a good 1080p TV 42inches or larger is still in the $2k range and that's just too high.
If you are considering a new TV, it's worth your while to look at plasma. Good bang for the buck and no eye ripping colour saturation like a lot of the lcd sets I looked at.
post #1110 of 2138 Old 10-18-2008, 03:05 PM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN50A510

Took back a 720p Panny to get the 50 inch model, but saw this 1080p for just a bit more and like the picture better.

The great colors is displays relative to the first Plasma we bought.

Only 2 HDMI ports.

See above.

Add some HDMI ports

How much better the picture was than the Panny.

False Contouring in background on Uverse but maybe cable related. We'll see when I hook up the Blu Ray.

This one was a steal at 1450 at BB.

1080p is worth it, but make sure you do your HW and get a good deal.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page