OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2136 Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. The "Model" you have. Samsung PN51D490

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". The price. Got it at the store that I work at and they price matched it for $599.99 with one pair of 3d glasses, then I got 10% employee discount, 5% card discount and I had $230 in gift cards so it was only $333.33 after tax out the door.
3. What you like best about your Plasma. The usb hub that will let me plug a external hard drive in and reads most formats (expect m2ts) Love the 3d also. Didnt think i would use it to much but how my collection has grown.
4. What you don't like about your Plasma. doesnt play m2ts files from usb
5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. full 1080i but it looks good to me.
6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. make the remote not so huge..
7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. how big it was. I went from a 32 inch jvc lcd. this looks huge in my apt.
8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. none yet fingers crossed.
9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. prices are dropping fast. and with 4k tvs on the way in the coming years its gonna get cheaper for these.
10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. I wish charter cable had some dang 3d channels haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2136 Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
As I said in the LCD version of this thread, i HATE the title of this thread. It makes me cringe every time I read it.
post #1983 of 2136 Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmalone1 View Post

As I said in the LCD version of this thread, i HATE the title of this thread. It makes me cringe every time I read it.

Well, if you don't like it... don't post!
Plasma's Rule!!!
post #1984 of 2136 Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TC-P60GT30. October 2011 build.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Reviews, features, quality and end-of-year pricing

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

big beautiful picture

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

I am noticing some buzz, but knowing that my pvr makes a lot of noise and it's now in an open cabinet, I'm not sure what I'm hearing in quiet scenes. Is it the pvr or the tv? not sure.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

Everything is awesome so far.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

It doesn't look as big as I thought it would. Going from a 36" CRT 4:3 HDTV, I expected it to seem bigger. It probably doesn't because with high def inputs, the picture is so good.

I expected to be able to play back audio through the tv speakers through hdmi from my pvr while having 5.1 going to my receiver through coax. I had to use rca cable to push the stereo audio to the tv. I think this is more a limitation of the cable box though.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Absolutely. Especially considering my 36" tube HDTV was $3000 10 years ago.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

post #1985 of 2136 Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Hi everyone! First time caller long time listener lol. Just wanted to say hi & tell my story of my new adventure into the world of HD home systems. I looked all over for a 'Welcome New Members' forum but haven't found one. I'm purchasing my first ever flat panel TV...currently using a Vizio 32" LCD I received when my Grandmom passed away. I decided on Plasma for the color depthness & the fact that what I mostly watch is sports & movies. I've been doing my homework, researching & comparing in-store over the last month. The 3 models I was looking at were the $599 LG, Samsung & Panasonic Plasma 720p. The 1080p versions were not worth $150 extra to me considering from 10' away (my sitting arrangement) I could not tell the difference. I originally wanted the LG due to the fact that my Blu-Ray is an LG which is great so I thought I'd keep it in the family & the fact that it has 3 HDMI inputs vs 2 on the Sammy & Panny models. However, NO ONE had one in stock locally & I'm not a fan of ordering & shipping items of this magnitude (I work in the shipping business & I see things get broken in shipping everyday....too much of a hassle to take a chance with having to return/exchange if it's defective). So I narrowed it down to the other 2 & after playing with both models in store many times, I decided on the Panasonic TC-P50X3 for a couple of reasons. I could not distinguish the difference in the PQ of either even after adjusting the settings so that was a draw. The deciding factor for me was the internet apps available on the Panny. My Blu-Ray has Netflix which we watch a lot, but having Pandora available on the Panny was also a deciding factor because I also wanted a home theater system & I'm a drummer so music is a must have in my life . My wife & I love jamming out on the weekends. I lucked out on the pricing of everything. I got the TV for $540 thanks to a salesman at the store telling me wrong about a 10% sale he THOUGHT they were having lol. I also got a Sony DAV-DZ170 surround system for $99.93 on clearance! so together I paid $640 plus tax! It's all on layaway waiting for our income taxes to come in (hopefully next week according to the IRS website). So all-in-all I'm extremely happy & excited about my new system! I'll post some pics when I get it all & get it set up.

If it has a power button, I WANT IT!
post #1986 of 2136 Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic tc60st30

I was originally going after the S30 but read reviews on this forum and other sites and made the decision to go with the st30 due to the "upgrades" the
st30 included.

The picture quality. First time plasma owner and i am blown away at the amazing picture even before calibrated

Did not work right out of the box but after 2 weeks of going through repairs, tv was returned and works flawlessly.

Better sound out of the box, but still love everything the st30 has to offer.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
Better sound built into the tv.

Did not work out of the box, but panasonic fixed everything and the PQ was fantastic

The panel and several boards needed to be replaced right of the box but none since this problem was fixed.

I do not think tv's should be priced so high but for the PQ and size it is not too bad.

If deciding between plasma and LED/LCD, do not be scared off by image retention. I am sure people have had complications with this but i have not had any problems with IR so far. I do not baby the tv but i am aware to not view programs with static images for 6 hours or so. just have to be conscientious about the tv.
post #1987 of 2136 Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Liked: 13
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN59D7000. December 2011 build.

I had my eye on this model for 6-8 months but could never pull the trigger due to the fluctuating brightness that everyone was complaining about. Once I saw that there was a fix for the issue I wanted to get one before they were sold out. I have a Panasonic plasma but have always found that I tend to like the colors and overall PQ better on the Samsung models.

Amazing picture quality and despite my initial concern, I don't feel that the 59 inch screen is too big for my seating area.

Slight buzzing noise that I can really only hear in the main seat that I always sit in.

Nothing as of now but I guess I would have prefered to have it be ARC compatible for HDMI once I get the receiver for surround sound.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

Nothing except for try to find a way to tone down the buzzing.

I was worried the PQ would appear to be much "worse" when watching FiOS - due to the screen size being much bigger than my old 46 inch Panasonic. I'm amazed that the picture seems to be so good and I'm ecstatic that I chose to bump up to the 59 inch version.

Nothing besides the buzzing.

Would prefer the "top end" plasmas such as this model hover more around the $1,500-1,700 range. However, it's hard to complain when I consider that I spent less on this TV than I did on my 46 inch Panasonic PZ85U back in 2008.

Everything is amazing so far. I just hope I don't have any issues with screen burn in and that the buzzing issue becomes less noticeable over time. I'd also like to thank zoyd, Larry, and others for figuring out a fix for this model so that I could finally feel comfortable making a purchase. Applying that fix via the emulator was kind of cool.
post #1988 of 2136 Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM

I just bought it last week at Target, Panasonic TC-P55ST30 and we are very happy with it. I love the fact that it's 3d and most of all the size and PQ is great. Target had it on sale for $999 and I couldn't pass it up, but it was my Wife who the star of this one. After coupons and her Target discount, we only paid $712.95, so I guess that's the best feature.
post #1989 of 2136 Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM

1. The "Model" you have. Panasonic 55GT30
2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". The size worked very nice with my existing cabinet. The ST was to big.

3. What you like best about your Plasma. The pictue quality

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. So far nothing

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. It's good the way it is.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. Not a problem with the TV but the swivel mounting bracket was very hard to get perfect. Most people just hang them on the wall. Mine going into a cabinet I had to be at the perfect height as well as perfectly plumb and level and flush with the face of the cabinet.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Yes I would pay more for one made in the USA

I’m glad I stumbled into this thread and really appreciate the wealth of information that has been posted here.I ran the slides and I am using The D-nice settings. I think the THX setting for BD movies is perfect. I watched Apocalypto although to graphic for HD it is perhaps the best reference movie. The colors looked perfect and motion was fantastic there are crowd scenes where the entire picture is moving between the detail and color I could not see one defect.

For cable that setting looks a little dark I used Dave O setting for the custom menu but I do not want to change the values for the D-nice settings. So I did not install the 2.1 luminance update. It looks pretty good for a HD signal but for SD the THX is better.

you can clearly see the old set compared to the new set
LL
LL
post #1990 of 2136 Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
SAMSUNG PN59D8000

I love watching movies and it was a choice between this model and the Panasonic VT30. I ended up choosing the D8000 due to the fact of price and quality.

The picture quality is exceptional and it has a very thin bezel. I have a Samsung HLT5676SX/XAA and it has great picture; but the detail is not where I wanted it to be.

The infamous buzzing noise is kinda annoying but its easy to tune out. What I really don't like is how flimsy the plasma feels on the stand.

Honestly I wish there were a hdmi or dvi output. It would just be a nice feature to have in case I wanted to output local broadcast channels to a projector for big games or other such events.

For the amount of money that you pay for a top of the line HDTV at least include a pair of 3D glasses with it.

The biggest surprise I had was how heavy it was for its size. My DLP doesn't weigh anything compared to the Plasma.

I cannot get the wireless connection to stay connected on Smart Hub. Every time I try to connect to Netflix it tells me there is no connection and then it kicks me out of Smart Hub.

Honestly, I paid less money for the D8000 than I did when I purchased the HLT5676 over four years ago. So yes I believe that some of today's prices are definietly worth it.

I wish there were more than basic information in the manual. If there were a picture calibration manual in the box I think it would be a great bonus. Most people that purchase top of the line HDTV's want their tv's calibrated in some way. Dynamic doesn't solve everything.
post #1991 of 2136 Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN64D7000

It was the largest size that would fit in our piece of furniture. The Panasonic VT30 wouldn't fit, so that left the GT30 and the Samsung. The Samsung was cheaper!

Awesome black levels. It's a huge step up over our Sony rear-projection LCD (from 2005.) BluRays, TV, and movies all look amazing.

Slight buzzing noise when the TV is muted. The TV is wobbly on the stand. The on-screen keyboard should be better (like the PS3 keyboard.)

Universal remote. Better on-screen keyboard.

Make the stand sturdier! It's almost scary how unstable it is (and yes, it was screwed on properly.) Eliminate the buzzing and brightness pops! And like most people say, include some 3D glasses! The production costs can't be that high, so they should definitely be included.

Weight and awesome picture quality.

Like I said above: buzzing, brightness pops, unstable stand.

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.
It was $900 cheaper than our 55" Sony Wega from 2005. It's still a hefty investment, but the prices keep dropping.

Paid $2146 from Vann's via Amazon. Free shipping, no tax.
post #1992 of 2136 Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic TC-P65ST30

I've been convinced for quite a while that Panasonic plasmas are the closest thing out there to CRT (since the Kuros are no more). LCD tech is great but black levels are a problem, and motion is a problem. (The Sharp Elite has licked the black level issue, but I don't have $6k+ for a TV!) (LCD sets just don't have the smooth, natural motion of a CRT... or Plasma.) Given the relatively small differences between the ST/GT/VT models, and the amazing price I got for my ST30, that's what finally convinced me to go for it.

1080p. HDMI input without needing to convert with a special converter box (like I had to with my CRT) Mounts on the wall so my living room is suddenly larger! Lower power consumption compared to my CRT.

I wish I didn't have to worry AT ALL about burn-in. I had to with my CRT. Now I have to be careful with my Plasma. My wife's LCD is nowhere near as nice, but at least I don't EVER have to worry about burn-in... a good thing, since she forgets and leaves things frozen on screen for hours on end!

Umm, lower blacks, brighter overall picture, 100% burn-in proof, and better power consumption? Actually, I wish they came in bigger sizes. (The 80"+ commercial grade Panny plasma for $16k doesn't count!) It was a VERY tough call between the Sharp 70" LCD and this 65" Plasma, because I really wanted to go up in screen size, not down.

Fix this green/pink tint/blob issue. So far my TV is free of this! But now I'm worried about it. Make sets bigger than 65"!!!

It's awkward! I can lift 100 lbs no problem, but there's no easy way for one person to lift a 100lb, 65" screen by themselves. I didn't anticipate needing help just getting it out of the box! (Again, I could manage the weight, but there's just no way to hold it up without risk of damage to the screen.)

So far none... but I've only had it here a few hours.

I got an amazing deal, so yes. I couldn't afford to upgrade right now if I had had to pay full price. But I paid $1500 at my local Fry's Electronics, a normal retail B&M sale, and I can easily return it in 30 days if needed. Amazing sale price! And an amazing deal compared to the $2500 I paid for my 65" CRT, 10 years ago. I hope this one lasts as long!

Anyone in the LA area interested in buying a lovely, fully-calibrated Mitsubishi 65" CRT-based HDTV for a very reasonable price?
post #1993 of 2136 Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Uh... you don't have to worry about burn in anymore

*4. What you don't like about your Plasma.*
I wish I didn't have to worry AT ALL about burn-in. I had to with my CRT. Now I have to be careful with my Plasma. My wife's LCD is nowhere near as nice, but at least I don't EVER have to worry about burn-in... a good thing, since she forgets and leaves things frozen on screen for hours on end!
post #1994 of 2136 Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

Uh... you don't have to worry about burn in anymore

*4. What you don't like about your Plasma.*

Boloney. Worry as much? Correctomundo. No worry at all? Not true. Feel free to do a search in the Plasma thread for numerous mentions of people who have had burn-in with their 2011 plasmas.

It's not nearly the concern it once was, but it's not the carefree existence of LCD, either.
post #1995 of 2136 Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM

This is my third Plasma in three years and I watch it no different than a LCD one and nary a problem.
post #1996 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN64D7000

Price was the primary motivating factor. It was significantly cheaper than the Panasonic V series.

Good god, the black level is unbelievable. My previous TV was a top of the line Panasonic from 3 years ago and this one is simply in another league.

Nothing. I don't even hear a buzz.

A free cash dispenser maybe?

On the right track.

Just how freaking big it was.

Nada

Absolutely. I bought my last TV for the exact same price 3 years ago, and this one is 14" larger and has much better PQ.

The metal framing on this TV is phenomenal. It's nowhere near as light as the stock pictures imply. It's like a brushed titanium look, very classy. Even my wife loves it.

Display by jasonwithers, on Flickr

Jason
post #1997 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM

My GOSH Jason... that is the cleanest looking TV room I've ever seen.
I also love the seating... saw it on flickr.
I see you take it VERY seriously! Nice, VERY Nice!

BTW, where'd you hide the subwoofer?
post #1998 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks!

The sub is off to the right from the picture, where the rest of the components are. I don't think I have a picture of it.

It's turning out pretty good so far I still have crown molding to put up and probably some molding on the ceiling too, but at least all the equipment is in place now!

Jason
post #1999 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN64D7000

Where the hell are the wires!?!? Is that a theater room or a photoshopped picture? Got to get you to come over to my house to remodel!

Seriously.....love it. What brand and model number are those speakers?

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #2000 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Where the hell are the wires!?!?
What brand and model number are those speakers?

I'm assuming the wires are in-bedded behind the TV/Speakers in the wall?
What powers those nice looking speakers?
post #2001 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 PM

On the other side of the wall is a storage room that also has attic access It's a real mess back there. It wasn't planned that way, we just got really lucky finding this floor plan.

The speakers are Axioms, fronts are M22s and the center is a VP100. The receiver is a Onkyo TX-NR509 and the sub is a Polk PSW505.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html

Jason
post #2002 of 2136 Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

The sub is off to the right from the picture, where the rest of the components are. I don't think I have a picture of it.

It's turning out pretty good so far I still have crown molding to put up and probably some molding on the ceiling too, but at least all the equipment is in place now!

Pretty. Wish I had a dedicated room like that...
post #2003 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Bam!

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #2004 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Do you have double vision, or do you just like to watch 2 sets at the same time?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #2005 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM

1. The "Model" you have.
Panasonic 55" GT30

Reviews, both pro and user along with cost ratio and size

The PQ is better than the 2.5 yr old Sony LCD it replaced and 3D which we never had before.

At this time (3 weeks old) nothing tha stands out

Presently it seems to have more than plenty with Panasonic Viera Connect

Maybe a seperated mini-sub or a third audio driver to provide a better low end from the TV to better the sound

I'm going to say how thin and the almost zero heat coming from it. It's a 1.5 inches thinner than the Sony LCD and you can't feel heat coming from it

Something in the ARC thru the Yamaha RX-V671 AVR. With the Sony I didn't ned to have the AVR on to get sound thru the TV speakers. I do now.

No doubt about that to me Plasmas offer a better cost ratio per inch than LEDs based on relating features.

Was not even a Plasma fan or considered one when I went shopping but now..it be hard to not to consider Plasma based on what I've learned and seen

Attachment 237730

Attachment 237731

AVR...Yamaha RX-V671
Speakers....Boston Micro 9000 w/ PSB century 500i Fronts
Gaming....Xbox 360
Cable....AT&T Uverse
Blu-Ray....Panasonic BDT210
LL
LL
post #2006 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN64D7000

Price was the primary motivating factor. It was significantly cheaper than the Panasonic V series.

Good god, the black level is unbelievable. My previous TV was a top of the line Panasonic from 3 years ago and this one is simply in another league.

Nothing. I don't even hear a buzz.

A free cash dispenser maybe?

On the right track.

Just how freaking big it was.

Nada

Absolutely. I bought my last TV for the exact same price 3 years ago, and this one is 14" larger and has much better PQ.

The metal framing on this TV is phenomenal. It's nowhere near as light as the stock pictures imply. It's like a brushed titanium look, very classy. Even my wife loves it.

Very impressive Jason and nice looking
post #2007 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Do you have double vision, or do you just like to watch 2 sets at the same time?

Ian

Sort of
I do my computer stuff on that one and sometimes when my wife and I can't agree on a program to watch, she watches it on the Plasma and I watch mine on the LCD. That way, we still sit together.
post #2008 of 2136 Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmalone1 View Post

OK! You don't like it! You tell me! Why not? Post it here.

home theater addict
post #2009 of 2136 Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

OK! You don't like it! You tell me! Why not? Post it here.

Welcome to Home and Garden.

WAP 16.

post #2010 of 2136 Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:

On the other side of the wall is a storage room that also has attic access It's a real mess back there. It wasn't planned that way, we just got really lucky finding this floor plan.

The speakers are Axioms, fronts are M22s and the center is a VP100. The receiver is a Onkyo TX-NR509 and the sub is a Polk PSW505.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html

Good call on the 64", I would have gone that route if the Mrs.' allowed me to! How high off the ground did you mount the TV by the way, I mounted mine 37" from floor to TV frame and feel I may have mounted a couple inches too high . Though I got a 10-degree tilting wall mount, I think your mount height looks better.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page