OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 73 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2161 of 2190 Old 12-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN51F5300B

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Size, price, no "smart" or 3D features, and excellent reviews.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

Picture quality, of course. Size is perfect, too.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

Can't think of anything yet. One tiny thing, though... when you mute it,
there's an annoying icon of a speaker with a red line through it, that moves
up and down the left side of the screen. Wish I could turn that off. I don't
need a graphic to tell me I have my TV on mute.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

Maybe more HDMI ports, and an extra USB. Don't need them right now,
but that may change in the future. In that case, will just have to get
an adaptor, or something. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Would also be nice if it had a less reflective screen. My living room is
darker than most, but reflections from windows are noticeable.
Not a problem at all at night, though.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Keep making them, yes. Add more ports. Get rid of that annoying mute graphic.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

When I bought my first LED/LCD flat-screen, 3.5 years ago, I adjusted the white balance ONCE,
reduced sharpness, and left it alone. I practically forgot that I had controls to adjust. The color balance, brightness, etc, looked great, no matter what content I was viewing. With this TV, I adjusted settings for the first four days, and still need to do more, though it's looking pretty great now. Not every show (HD, or otherwise) looks right, though. Some are noticeably less ideal than others, and I don't know why. I never ever noticed this with my old LED/LCD. So, there's more calibrating to do, but there's no question, that when it's dialed in just right for any particular show/DVD, the picture quality is stunning, and vastly superior to what I had before.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

None. No buzzing, no pink banding, no pixel issues. I think (hope)
that I got a good one. It was manufactured just two months before
I bought it.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Are you kidding? For $499? Most definitely.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Since it was on sale for $499, I bought the extended Square Trade warranty (five years, total)
for $30 through Costco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2190 Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1. The "Model" you have.

Sammy 60" F5300B

The 51" and 60" F8500 plasma TVs are sold out. This was the next best thing IMO, and the price was sweet.

3. What do you like best about your Plasma.

The 60" size (up from our previous 50" plasma, a Samsung PN50A550), and the colors. Just awesome.

The stand doesn't hold the TV at a perfect 90 degree vertical viewing angle. It leans back - way too far. I had to Jerry Rig a couple of little foam edge protectors under the two back stems of the stand to get it to lean forward a bit so it's directly facing the viewers instead of the ceiling.

3 HDMI inputs. That's it. ...or I need to get a new receiver with multiple HDMI outputs - then I won't care. I'm not into 3D movies nor any of the SMART TV schtuff...

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Make the attachable stand longer (so it extends further up the back of the TV) and make it more rigid, so the TV sits at a more proper viewing angle when it's placed/set down on an actual TV stand. And don't chince out on HDMI inputs. Give every TV at least three.

The brightness and clarity of the picture quality. It's not even broken in yet, and the IQ is already infinitely better than my 8 year old Samsung plasma. ...in the daylight. I haven't fully calibrated the TV yet, either. ...and of course the size. I didn't think those extra 10" would have made that BIG of a difference in our living room, but yikes! I was wrong. The picture looks HUGE and more submersive than the 50". ...but not in a "horsey-it's-too-big-for-the-room" kinda way. A 64" TV wouldn't fit in our spot, so the 60 is perfect.

I just got it, so nothing so far. Will keep you posted.

At less than $850 for a 60" plasma of this quality, I'd say obscenely so. The prices a stupid awesome, and the picture quality for a non-top-of-the-line set is infinitely better than what we had 5, 6, or 7+ years ago (YMMV). Our old one was $1,800 for a set that was already one generation older than the newer sets. Still a great TV in it's day, and I still preferred it to the LED TVs of today (even the new 4K TVs). Kinda glad our TV started going on the fritz 6 months ago (bad main board), and become intolerably bad last week. It literally forced our hands to getting this new set.

A) In a way I wish we'd have pulled the trigger when Sammy put the 8500 on sale, but considering how much better this inexpensive Samsung Plasma is compared to our old Samsung Plasma, it's kinda relative. So really, it feels like we saved $600. Score! and Score! I'm not going to second think about what could have been with the 8500 series, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy what I have.

B) If you're like a me, and a lot of other people in this particular group on the AVS forum, and you prefer plasma to LED TVs, and you're still running with your older plasma TV (5+ years old)......if you have the money, upgrade as soon as you can. Panasonic and Samsung were the last two great Plasma TV makers, and they're done. Panasonic is all but gone, and once the Samsung are sold out, you'll be stuck with your much older technology or buying a used plasma from someone else.

C) If you're worried about the Pentile IQ of the 60" F5300, it's really a non-issue - our seating is about 10-12 ft from the TV. Even when I schooched closer, probably within 7-8 ft, it was still a non-issue for me. Only when I approached the TV to remove a disc from our Blu-Ray player, did I really see the screen door affect. Then again, my eyes aren't perfect, not bad, but certainly not perfect - I wear glasses when I'm driving and that's it. I don't even wear glasses when I'm watching TV. Thing is, I'm not a pixel peeper when it comes to my photography, so I'm not going to be a pixel peeper when it comes to my TV viewing - though I do appreciate good detail, it doesn't need to by hyper-real. So right now, 4K doesn't interest me at all.

Cheers,

c
post #2163 of 2190 Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsun 51"

great performance, great picture
post #2164 of 2190 Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung 2014 PN64H5000

Price, its a plasma, Samsung 8500 was sold out, get a plasma if you can

Screen resolution, Don't need 3D or Smart TV, size 64" price $1300, same size Panasonic plasma's are going for close to $5000

Not enough HDMI inputs only 2

More HDMI inputs and LAN

None

It's like going to the movies, just bring your popcorn, mind blowing size

None

For this model yes

If you are looking for a big screen, no frills plasma I don't think you can go wrong with this model. Essentially what this model is is a huge monitor. All you need is a good OTA antenna or Directv or a descent cable company (those are hard to find) and a good DLNA BluRay player with smart apps or an HTPC and you have a great setup.

Please send questions or comments
cogipro likes this.

(Insert really cool sig file here)
post #2165 of 2190 Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN60F5300B

I wanted a plasma and of course, Panasonic (I have a 42"), they don't make anymore. Ruled out the 64" because it's just too big for the space.

Picture and price. It was on sale for $699 and I got another $120 off in discounts. $579 was a great price!

It's not as bright and the picture doesn't quite look as good as the Panny, but the size increase probably has a lot to do with that.

None. I did not want 3D or Smart features, I have those on Blu-Ray, Apple TV and Roku.

Keep making them!

It was lighter than my 42" Panny. And no issues, so far!

Just needed to do a basic calibration settings.

Yes.

I fought with this decision going back and forth between 1080 LED, 4K LED or Plasma. And for what I paid, I could buy 3 of these, for what a 60" 4K goes for.

This my first post on the forum. I will be posting more, I want to upgrade my sound system.
post #2166 of 2190 Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LG Electronics 42PN4500

1. The "Model" you have.

LG 42PN4500

I needed a 40-42" TV for my bedroom. Competitive price compared to LED and better picture quality than LED.

Picture Quality and the ability to really tweak it in the built in menu system.

Only has a digital optical (toslink) output

Analogue audio out or headphone jack, one additional HDMI input

Make better built in speakers for your television. The built in audio on my Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ800U is very good.

The weight of it. I like the swiveling stand.

Issues trying to connect a "legacy" 2-channel stereo to the optical output. Sound quality is not good.

Yes, especially since these are all discontinued and that they are priced to move.

If anyone can suggest how I can get better audio output from this TVs digital output, I'm all ears. I'm currently using the same system that I had with my previous bedroom TV that featured analogue audio out and I was very happy with it, except I had to add a DAC to the system to convert the digital audio to analogue:

Sonic Impact T-amp + DAC (5.1 compatible from Parts Express) + Polk Audio R15 bookshelf speakers.

This is in a bedroom so I have no room for an AVR or for a subwoofer.

Thanks

Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ800U, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Roku Streaming Stick, Marantz NR1402, Slim Devices SB3 (Boulder Cable MOD) w/ CIA VAC-1 PS, Energy RC-70 FR + FL, Energy RC-LCR, Energy RC-10 SR + SL, Pangea 28" Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, (2)Panamax MAX500 DBS, Z-Line Designs Elecktra.
post #2167 of 2190 Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New Plasma Owner pn51f5300

1. PN51f5300

2. Last of the plasma's that I can afford; picture quality

3. Large screen

4. A lot of "fuzziness" in player's uniforms in NFL games watch via Times Warner Magnavox cable box

5. I do wish it had built-in WIFI

6. So far experience is great except for NFL games

7. I have had no surprises

8. See #4

9. I paid only $550. That seemed inexpensive for a 51" screen

10. Will an improved cable box make a difference in watching NFL games? (My current box does not have an HDMI output.)
post #2168 of 2190 Old 12-21-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 148
HDMI should improve the clarity.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #2169 of 2190 Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM

Liked: 12
The larger the screen the worse SD content looks

(Insert really cool sig file here)
post #2170 of 2190 Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 AM

Liked: 13
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA

Sale price, and the fact I paid $3,200 for my Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK I also have

Size!

You can't set close to the screen or the remote doesn't want to work.

Self-calibration.

Don't stop making them for inferior models.

It had no bad pixels, light bleed around the screen boarders, and didn't buzz!

None

Damn right compared to what I paid for my other plasma.

If you ever thought about getting a plasma, and can put aside the false rumors about plasma, do it now!
post #2171 of 2190 Old 01-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
Smile

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN60F5300AF

Size and price. I had always loved plasma's, but I didn't want to buy until one of mine went down. It seemed to be getting better reviews than the LG similar model.

Picture quality!!!! It is four inches bigger then the model it replaces (JVC HD-56FH97).

Nothing yet. NO buzzing! When I first got my JVC, 7 years ago, the cooling fans drove me nuts.

As everyone has mentioned, I wish it had a less reflective screen. This could not be used in my living room , as there are too many windows. I wanted a bright apartment and that is why I picked this corner unit. Great for reading but would make a plasma virtually useless.

To copy eyeryone else, Keep making them.

The amount of adjustments and how bright it is. I copied settings from on here to get going, but I have to turn something down. Already dropped the brightness to 40 and it still seems like all the lights in the room are on when you walk by.

None.

I paid $799.00, plus tax (15%) AFTER all the Christmas sales were pretty much over. To get an LED with a pic like this would be a LOT more than $799.00 (at 60"). I am very happy.

I passed on the extended warranty. If it was cheaper, and I had more money, I likely would have bought it.
post #2172 of 2190 Old 01-11-2015, 08:02 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN60F8500AF

Price mostly. I got it for $1300 BNIB and it was made clear to me reading through this forum and talking to the sales staff where I bought it that this was a top notch set. Compared to other LED/LCDs at that price point, the bad experiences I've had with them in the past, coupled with the good experiences I've had with my old plasma sets, it was an easy decision to make.

Picture quality, easily. I've used CNET settings temporarily and am in the process of getting a THX calibration done in the coming weeks, so I expect it to look even better. I find the smart features to be decent enough and the quad core seems to be quite nimble. The camera is a nice feature as well as the Evolution Kit which will hopefully be of some benefit a few years down the line.

Like many others have reported, this TV buzzes. Not horribly bad, but enough to notice. I've owned an LG plasma before and it wasn't as noticeable as this one, granted it was a 51" screen and only 720p so I can appreciate a bigger and more vibrant panel emitting more noise. I can live with it, especially with such fantastic picture.

Not really a big fan of the remote. It can be a big cumbersome to navigate across menus and the tutorial only highlighted a few features. It seems I'll need to buy the smart keyboard and/or a universal remote.

I wish the remote was more like the LG Magic Remote, that's about it.

Probably to keep making plasma televisions, although I probably wouldn't have gotten the deal I did had they not discontinued the TV.

Oh, and fix the buzz issues.

Was probably most impressed by how quick and responsive the TV is. I had a Sony 60W630B prior to buying this one (horrible experience) and that TV's smart menus were laggy, slow, and the processor couldn't handle fast forwarding or rewinding videos from USB.

Buzzing, some minor horizontal banding, and the occasional glitch (TV will activate the voice control out of nowhere, for example). Nothing I can't live with.

For what I paid for it, yes, very worth it. To the point that buying a new keyboard for it and getting it professionally calibrated doesn't bother me at all.

Truly an amazing TV and I am very sad to see plasma TV's go.

I'd also like to say thanks to the members of this forum as well for steering my in this direction, and I look forward to learning lots more from you all in the future (especially putting together a surround sound system!).
post #2173 of 2190 Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Viera TX-P55ST60E.

It was one of the last panasonic plasma available in my price range

Contrast ratio and image quality in general.

Buzzy noise, input lag and line bleed (although the latter is only visible when I use it as a computer monitor). The interface in the apps section is slow, line in an original iPhone if you know what I mean. It's also quite heavy.

When it plays 24p movies files (with the built in media payer, from a DLNA server, youtube, netflix or whatever), I wish it did the same treatment as for a 24Hz hdmi source and did not apply 3:2 pulldown, which causes judder. I also wish it had the same settings as the TC (american) version. Some are missing. I'd also prefer if it used passive 3D.

Fix "issues" listed above.

None that I can think of.

A white-on-blakc logo "je suis charlie" that was on many channels after the terrorist attacks in France is retained and remains visible on bright backgrounds. Hopefully, it will go away after some time.

AFAIK, the model is not sold anymore, but it was worth it.

If you look for a stunning image quality, get one.
post #2174 of 2190 Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
1. The "Model" you have.

LG 60PA6900

Price and value. Purchased this model for 629.00 brand new and it came with a free Magic Remote

Picture quality and the overall menu options. Also, the Magic Remote. It allows you to navigate everything like a computer mouse.

Heavier then the Samsung f5300

An actual screen filter. Glare is definitely there but not even close to a deal breaker.

Bring them back.

How packed it is with features

Sometimes freezing up in the apps menu.

For what I paid, yes.

For anybody able to find this particular tv get it and get it while you can. I previously owned a f5300 Samsung which was a great tv don't get me wrong. The LG is just that much better. It matches everything the Samsung has and has many more features. A super great buy and highly recommended -60PA6900.
post #2175 of 2190 Old 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Liked: 1
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64F8500

Price and warranty period

Picture Quality come first, follow by screen size

Frankly i don't really like Samsung brand, to me they only have good 'design' but reliability always a doubt to me. Same time i don't have choice since Samsung is the only brand i can find Plasma in the market. I believe this is the only 3 demo units left in the entire market in my country.

Fast processing, build in media player. More HDMI and USB port

Got to accept the fact all big maker stopped making them but seriously hope they will back one day.

No comment as i am still waiting for delivery this weekend

Same as Point 7

Oh well, i have tried very hard to 'convience' myself to LED, Curve LED or even 4K image quality but they just aint my taste. Should thanks to Kuro that i got previously (still strong and kicking today )

If you can find one which GOOD DEAL (price point or warranty), don't hesitate and go for it even its a used unit !
post #2176 of 2190 Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64H5000

Price, excellent reviews and it's getting down to the last chance to get a new plasma

Picture Quality, large screen size, natural colors and good price. I've had good luck with Samsung products in the past and hope this set does well too.

A buddy recently bought a large LCD and I definitely like plasma better in a controlled light setting. He has a bright room so I guess LCD was the right choice for him but it wouldn't be for me.

I really don't have a major complaint. I have my lighting under control (basement media room), my AV receiver is my HDMI hub and sound system. So that takes care of the reflective screen, sparse inputs and poor internal speakers.

My bluray player streams from the Internet so I don't need smart features in the TV. And I don't need 3D. So lacking these features is fine and it kept the price down.

So far I have no complaints concerning the Pentile panel viewing from 11'.

One HDMI with audio return channel for my AV receiver so I could use the optical audio out to a sound bar for casual audio. But, again, I can make do - maybe a Toslink splitter.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

Nothing at the moment

How great the picture quality is!

None so far

YES!!!

If you haven't experienced a large plasma HDTV, now is the time. Go see one set up right and find out what it's all about. Get one while you still can.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms

Last edited by Quentin2; 01-27-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #2177 of 2190 Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Liked: 55
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64F8500

Picture quality and panel size.

Black level, viewing angle and picture quality.

The Buzz. It is not something that I notice during normal viewing, but if the room is silent and I turn my head to the side it is actually kind of obnoxious. As the old saying goes, "Hey Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..."

I would have preferred if the PN64F8500 was a dumb panel (I get my "Smart" elsewhere).

Couldn't they have made a 70" model?!?

N/A.

Don't stop producing plasma panels!!! I can't believe that there isn't enough of an informed videophile consumer base to continue making plasma profitable into the near future.

The built in "Skype" web cam depresses (and becomes invisible) into the top of the frame. I read the AVS "owners" and "settings" threads in their entirity before buying the panel so not much was left to surprise me.

Shortly before I deactivated it the HDMI CEC was interferring with my TiVo and Netflix viewing.

I am very happy to have paid $2400 (before taxes) for this display. I paid $2200 (before taxes) for a 42" 720P Panasonic Plasma in 2006. What a difference 8 years makes!

The AVS Forum threads on the PNF8500 were immensely helpful and informative. I would never buy a display without reading through the "owner's" thread of any television that I was considering.

PN64F8500 & TH-42PX60U
STR-DN1030
Infinity Modulus 7.1
PS4, PS3, TiVo HD, Roku 3 & Chromecast
Harmony 900 & 1X2 Monoprice PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter
PSN ID: Kranin
post #2178 of 2190 Old 01-28-2015, 04:11 PM

Finally stepped up to a real tv.

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64F8500

It was between this an a Panasonic but this is the only one I could find.

Huge screen with a great picture.

Having trouble getting the TV and Receiver to cooperate with each other. Mostly HDMI control issues. I also notice the "hum" "buzz" that Drlink mentioned above.

So far I can't find anything that it doesn't do.

Add a Qwerty keyboard to the back of one of the remotes.

How big the box is and how heavy it is.

Mostly just HDMI handshake and HDMI Control issues.

It's about the same price as a high end LCD of the same size so yes.

I'm loving it so far. Curious if a professional calibration is worth it or if I should just leave it in Movie mode and be happy.

post #2179 of 2190 Unread 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOhioSky39 View Post

I'm loving it so far. Curious if a professional calibration is worth it or if I should just leave it in Movie mode and be happy.
I've never had a professional calibration on one of my displays, but everything I've read (and I've read quite a bit on these forums and elsewhere) is that having your display individually calibrated will result in a significant increase in accuracy and picture quality.

Scott Wilkinson (AVS Forum Editor) recently stated on the one of his Home Theater Geeks podcasts that improving your panel with a "calibration" disk (Disney WOW, Spears and Munsil, etc) will get you 80% of the way towards actualizing the best possible picture on your display.

Therefore the question you can ask yourself is whether or not roughly $300-400 on a good calibration is worth that approximately 20% increase in your display's PQ. I'd love to have my PN64F8500 calibrated, but I'm not sure if it will float with the spouse.

PN64F8500 & TH-42PX60U
STR-DN1030
Infinity Modulus 7.1
PS4, PS3, TiVo HD, Roku 3 & Chromecast
Harmony 900 & 1X2 Monoprice PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter
PSN ID: Kranin
post #2180 of 2190 Unread 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into those discs. It certainly can't hurt to try it. Glad to hear you're liking your new screen as much as I am.
post #2181 of 2190 Unread 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOhioSky39 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into those discs. It certainly can't hurt to try it. Glad to hear you're liking your new screen as much as I am.
If you do go the professional route Chad B is based in Ohio and does a fantastic job !
Chad B likes this.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #2182 of 2190 Unread 02-05-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally stepped up to a real tv--Before this my 20" NEC WMGX2 was our tv.

1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN51F8500

Wanted great image quality, something to 'last' a long time. My dad has two plasmas one is over 10 years old. I actually only wanted a 42"! But my room is pretty bright, I knew I would need a really good anti-reflection on a screen. This was THE BEST over LED's via rtings.com.

Size, love the screen size and brightness, the color is truly jawbreaking. I have been re-watching movies just because now they are enjoyable.

Like may people, mine does buzz a little, but it is a rear buzz and only on the pure white colors. It is acceptable, though it did surprise me since I'm very audio oriented.

I wish it DIDN'T have so many features. This thing is a kitchen sink of features. I will never use most of them. I suppose a regular VGA input would of been nice for some legancy PC stuff.

Fix the buzz, offer a non-smart version, Include an HDMI cable with a $1k+ screen. (didn't bother me until my friend mentioned his 'free' spectre came with one).

Also, if your TV is smart enough to find my other computers on my network, but none are sharing anything for them to stream--I guess this is DLNA???--then don't show them to me on my input menu.

It had a camera...didn't notice it before, ironically its the only app we use since I we can gather around the couch. Although a USB function to hand that off to the HTPC would of been nice.

Slight IR during non-full screen content, this has gotten much better over time (170 hours and counting). Slight buzzing.

Picked this up for $999.99. which ironically was 200% of my original budget. They disappeared in November, out of stock, I thought I missed the boat but then they were back. My better half said, go and get it. Merry Christmas. Indeed.

I think the inflated prices aren't worth it. I suppose it depends on your budget. But this was a huge stretch for mine and I wouldn't of been able to justify it for any more.

Two remotes--the Bluetooth one is a little more worthless for my use, but more likable once all your settings are set. I would of preferred just one that was a combination of both. I wish since it is a bluetooth remote I could use it for other players and have it be the universal remote--which I think Samsung could of easily done.

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
post #2183 of 2190 Unread 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64F8500

Wanted a Plasma before they became extinct - so the wife surprised me for valentines day.

Excellent picture from all angles - No fast motion blur .

Nothing so far....

None.

When first powering on the TV, don't make us have to chose which 'app' to watch - default to TV without pushing the remote.

How heavy it is.

None.

It's about the same price as a LCD of the same size so yes.

I'm loving it so far. Bought the Disney WOW disk, cant wait to give that a watch.
post #2184 of 2190 Unread 02-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Thumbs up Plasma trail's end

> 1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TC P60U50-2 (yep, the bottom end of the 60-inch Pany Plas).

> 2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Store chain in Chapter 7. It's the only plasma I've seen on display in the whole region for some time. Price was being marked down weekly.

> 3. What you like best about your Plasma.

Price finally went below $550 ($450, actually, about which I can hardly complain).

> 4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

2012 build date and was store demo unit. Been playing the Lego movie 24x7 for who knows how long. Probably has some burn-in.

> 5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

A future.

> 6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacturer" about your Plasma.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

> 7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

Took store crew an hour to figure out how to get it off the NEMA mount on the wall, and then they couldn't find several metric base bolts. No box, natch (but I came prepared for that).

> 8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

Shuts itself off after a couple of hours - probably some menu item I haven't got to yet.

> 9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.

They'll have to do until something with comparable black levels and off-axis consistency gets down to my price level.

> 10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

The last one to post here should turn off the lights.
post #2185 of 2190 Unread 02-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60

Picture quality and it is the last great plasma/

No motion blur and no uneven backlighting.

Power consumption. Poor ARC implementation and no full audio passthrough on the optical connection.

None at this point.

Why no longer making them? Marketing quality over price could have made a big difference.

No full audio passthrough on the optical output - my cheap old Samsung LCD does this.

Documentation and eHelp could be more user friendly and more definitive - some menus are hidden that are not fully explained.

I paid $3299 + taxes for my display. Fully worth it given it is the last great plasma display that will likely ever be made. It is a lot of money for a technology that is "dying" however 4K just isn't a realistic medium for mass content - it is still niche and a plethora of content seems ages away. In 10 years I will likely be ready to jump up.

cr671 likes this.
post #2186 of 2190 Unread 02-23-2015, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Samsung PN64H5000

I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Just got a new display? Post it here ONLY: please do not start a new thread

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64H5000

Overall the good reviews all around the web.

Smooth picture and doesn't produce much heat.

I want a bigger size.

4k plasma

Create a top secret 4k plasma group to destroy all others.

The box is huge.

None so far will update once one pops up

I got lucky on a Buydig deal and it arrived in once piece, yes.

Plasmas could go 5 years more because those 70 inch plus 4k's aren't going to go down in price that fast.

The last line of defense for plasma fanatics. The only reason for defeat was companies actually have to make money from the products they sell. Damn.
post #2187 of 2190 Unread 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN60F5300 B

Price, size, last of the plasmas.

Black levels, smooth motion on sports, no buzzing, no dead pixels, energy efficient, doesn't give off heat like older plasmas.

Very faint pink tint in bottom quadrant. Only noticeable on all white screen. Reflective screen.

None.

Continue making plasmas.

60 inch screen and black levels more impressive than I expected replacing a 50 inch Samsung PN50A550 from 2008.

None.

Yes. There was nothing comparable for $799 plus tax.

This will last until OLED solves motion issues and is reasonably priced.
post #2188 of 2190 Unread 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
1. The "Model" you have.
PN64F8500

won VE's Flat Panel Shoot-out two years in a row and beat a reputable OLED in the final average score. If they were judged on an even playing field (placed on the same height for similar angles of inclination) I think it could've been a clear winner again

its esthetics, the stand itself belongs in MOMA

directional sizzle

none, it actually has too many features. I could do without the camera or mic
possibly built-in wireless AC? I managed to get a wifi AC bridge for $30 so not much loss there

should've quit the AV/HT industry altogether...you won't be missed

Negative: Sammy's absolutely disgusting customer support
Neutral: OMG, so much heat! The back panel is too hot to touch after 45 min of usage. Could actually use it as a heater, not even joking.
Positive: HEVC H.625 for a 2013 model

in case you missed my personal crusade, my least favourite tech company built it
DSE, sizzle, magenta tinting, cheap build quality on the camera trim piece, TV rocks back and forth on said beautiful stand

depends how you see it. If you're a deal hunter, you'd expect stores were trying to clear these at fire sale pricing ie < $10/1" of screen real estate. If you bought a 60 or 64 incher and babied it then I could see these actually appreciating in value, or at least hold their value just as well as Kuro Elites

I wish Panasonic or Pioneer built the F8500. Here's to hoping this baby will last many decades to come

Display: 64" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500
Audio: 54" Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar System S5451w-C2
NAS: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB via Asus RT-AC56U Router
HTPC: C2D E8400/Passively-Cooled GeForce GT 730/4GB DDR2 Win 8.1 3D Blu-ray Limelight Steam Machine

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-07-2015 at 09:30 PM.
post #2189 of 2190 Unread 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
1. The "Model" you have.--
Samsung 60" - PN60F5300BFXZA

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".--
There were multiple reasons: aside from the thousands of positive reviews, I knew I couldn't afford an OLED at this point, and finding an equally compatible LCD would have cost thousands more. Aside from the outrageous pricing, it simply isn't worth buying a 4K set at this time, mainly due to the lack of content that is readily available.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.--
Picture quality and the ability to watch action movies without getting dizzy or dealing with a lot of motion blur.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.--
Truly can't think of anything.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.--
I knew I was purchasing a basic plasma. No 3D, no Smart features, no ridiculous curve... just a quality plasma set that offered an amazing picture. Because I have poor vision in one of my eyes, watching 3D movies simply isn't enjoyable for me. Because I have an Amazon FireStick, there was no point in spending hundreds more for smart features I don't need, and/or wouldn't use.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.--
None.....well, maybe a plea to not discontinue this amazing technology simply because it's more expensive to manufacture than LED/LCD.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.--
Just how much larger this set is over my previous 42" plasma. We ended up having to completely rearrange the living room so our viewing distance is 9 1/2 feet, as opposed to 6 feet.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.--
None - knock on wood (but it's only been a little over 2 weeks)

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.--
As long as you do your research there are plenty of deals out there.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.--
Having enjoyed my previous plasma for 6 years, I knew I had to get another while I still could. The fact that I got a much larger tv and spent a little more than half of what I spent 6 years ago, made this purchase a no brainer. Fortunately my wife trusts me with all of our tech related purchases, but she wanted to go into Best Buy with me to get an idea of the overall size we were upgrading to. I had to warn her before going into the store by telling her not to get discouraged of the picture quality when she sees it in person. She really couldn't understand what I meant until she was actually standing in front of it. After seeing bright, over saturated LCDs directly above and on both sides of the plasma we intended to purchase, was the only time she questioned my decision. After explaining to her why the picture looked so crappy compared to every other tv in the store, and having the Best Buy employee, who was standing next to us, confirm everything I was saying, we walked out of the store 30 minutes later with a new Plasma.
After using some of the settings found here on the AVS forum (until we get it professionally calibrated next week) to tweak the settings, as well as adding a back lighting kit to the rear to improve dark room viewing, we couldn't be happier with our new plasma.
For under a thousand bucks, its one of the best tech purchases I've made in a long time.

Also, I've had no problems with the stand on this particular model. It's perfectly straight and very solid.

S5 tap'n
post #2190 of 2190 Unread 03-15-2015, 12:05 PM

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN64F8500

Wanted a Plasma before they became extinct. Read an article in CEPro magazine that did a shootout between various 4k tvs and an oled. The Samsung PN65F8500 placed 2nd behind the oled. I always wanted a plasma and had a samsung led dlp for almost 8 years.

Excellent picture from all angles and black levels.

IR, but that is to be expected.

None.

none

How oddly shaped the stand is

None.

I wasnt too concerned about price. I knew what i wanted. I used to be in the A/V industry so i was able to get this at a dealer cost. $2250 with no tax.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is

looking forward to having it ISF calibrated
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com