Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2165 Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung PN51F5300B

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Size, price, no "smart" or 3D features, and excellent reviews.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

Picture quality, of course. Size is perfect, too.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

Can't think of anything yet. One tiny thing, though... when you mute it,
there's an annoying icon of a speaker with a red line through it, that moves
up and down the left side of the screen. Wish I could turn that off. I don't
need a graphic to tell me I have my TV on mute.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

Maybe more HDMI ports, and an extra USB. Don't need them right now,
but that may change in the future. In that case, will just have to get
an adaptor, or something. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Would also be nice if it had a less reflective screen. My living room is
darker than most, but reflections from windows are noticeable.
Not a problem at all at night, though.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Keep making them, yes. Add more ports. Get rid of that annoying mute graphic.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

When I bought my first LED/LCD flat-screen, 3.5 years ago, I adjusted the white balance ONCE,
reduced sharpness, and left it alone. I practically forgot that I had controls to adjust. The color balance, brightness, etc, looked great, no matter what content I was viewing. With this TV, I adjusted settings for the first four days, and still need to do more, though it's looking pretty great now. Not every show (HD, or otherwise) looks right, though. Some are noticeably less ideal than others, and I don't know why. I never ever noticed this with my old LED/LCD. So, there's more calibrating to do, but there's no question, that when it's dialed in just right for any particular show/DVD, the picture quality is stunning, and vastly superior to what I had before.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

None. No buzzing, no pink banding, no pixel issues. I think (hope)
that I got a good one. It was manufactured just two months before
I bought it.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

Are you kidding? For $499? Most definitely.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Since it was on sale for $499, I bought the extended Square Trade warranty (five years, total)
for $30 through Costco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2165 Old 12-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1. The "Model" you have.

Sammy 60" F5300B

The 51" and 60" F8500 plasma TVs are sold out. This was the next best thing IMO, and the price was sweet.

3. What do you like best about your Plasma.

The 60" size (up from our previous 50" plasma, a Samsung PN50A550), and the colors. Just awesome.

The stand doesn't hold the TV at a perfect 90 degree vertical viewing angle. It leans back - way too far. I had to Jerry Rig a couple of little foam edge protectors under the two back stems of the stand to get it to lean forward a bit so it's directly facing the viewers instead of the ceiling.

3 HDMI inputs. That's it. ...or I need to get a new receiver with multiple HDMI outputs - then I won't care. I'm not into 3D movies nor any of the SMART TV schtuff...

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Make the attachable stand longer (so it extends further up the back of the TV) and make it more rigid, so the TV sits at a more proper viewing angle when it's placed/set down on an actual TV stand. And don't chince out on HDMI inputs. Give every TV at least three.

The brightness and clarity of the picture quality. It's not even broken in yet, and the IQ is already infinitely better than my 8 year old Samsung plasma. ...in the daylight. I haven't fully calibrated the TV yet, either. ...and of course the size. I didn't think those extra 10" would have made that BIG of a difference in our living room, but yikes! I was wrong. The picture looks HUGE and more submersive than the 50". ...but not in a "horsey-it's-too-big-for-the-room" kinda way. A 64" TV wouldn't fit in our spot, so the 60 is perfect.

I just got it, so nothing so far. Will keep you posted.

At less than $850 for a 60" plasma of this quality, I'd say obscenely so. The prices a stupid awesome, and the picture quality for a non-top-of-the-line set is infinitely better than what we had 5, 6, or 7+ years ago (YMMV). Our old one was $1,800 for a set that was already one generation older than the newer sets. Still a great TV in it's day, and I still preferred it to the LED TVs of today (even the new 4K TVs). Kinda glad our TV started going on the fritz 6 months ago (bad main board), and become intolerably bad last week. It literally forced our hands to getting this new set.

A) In a way I wish we'd have pulled the trigger when Sammy put the 8500 on sale, but considering how much better this inexpensive Samsung Plasma is compared to our old Samsung Plasma, it's kinda relative. So really, it feels like we saved $600. Score! and Score! I'm not going to second think about what could have been with the 8500 series, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy what I have.

B) If you're like a me, and a lot of other people in this particular group on the AVS forum, and you prefer plasma to LED TVs, and you're still running with your older plasma TV (5+ years old)......if you have the money, upgrade as soon as you can. Panasonic and Samsung were the last two great Plasma TV makers, and they're done. Panasonic is all but gone, and once the Samsung are sold out, you'll be stuck with your much older technology or buying a used plasma from someone else.

C) If you're worried about the Pentile IQ of the 60" F5300, it's really a non-issue - our seating is about 10-12 ft from the TV. Even when I schooched closer, probably within 7-8 ft, it was still a non-issue for me. Only when I approached the TV to remove a disc from our Blu-Ray player, did I really see the screen door affect. Then again, my eyes aren't perfect, not bad, but certainly not perfect - I wear glasses when I'm driving and that's it. I don't even wear glasses when I'm watching TV. Thing is, I'm not a pixel peeper when it comes to my photography, so I'm not going to be a pixel peeper when it comes to my TV viewing - though I do appreciate good detail, it doesn't need to by hyper-real. So right now, 4K doesn't interest me at all.

Cheers,

c
post #2163 of 2165 Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM

Liked: 0
Samsun 51"

great performance, great picture
post #2164 of 2165 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool

1. The "Model" you have.

Samsung 2014 PN64H5000

Price, its a plasma, Samsung 8500 was sold out, get a plasma if you can

Screen resolution, Don't need 3D or Smart TV, size 64" price $1300, same size Panasonic plasma's are going for close to $5000

Not enough HDMI inputs only 2

More HDMI inputs and LAN

None

It's like going to the movies, just bring your popcorn, mind blowing size

None

For this model yes

If you are looking for a big screen, no frills plasma I don't think you can go wrong with this model. Essentially what this model is is a huge monitor. All you need is a good OTA antenna or Directv or a descent cable company (those are hard to find) and a good DLNA BluRay player with smart apps or an HTPC and you have a great setup.

Please send questions or comments

(Insert really cool sig file here)
post #2165 of 2165 Old Today, 10:38 AM

Liked: 0
1. The "Model" you have.
Samsung PN60F5300B

I wanted a plasma and of course, Panasonic (I have a 42"), they don't make anymore. Ruled out the 64" because it's just too big for the space.

Picture and price. It was on sale for $699 and I got another $120 off in discounts. $579 was a great price!

It's not as bright and the picture doesn't quite look as good as the Panny, but the size increase probably has a lot to do with that.

None. I did not want 3D or Smart features, I have those on Blu-Ray, Apple TV and Roku.

Keep making them!

It was lighter than my 42" Panny. And no issues, so far!

Just needed to do a basic calibration settings.

Yes.

I fought with this decision going back and forth between 1080 LED, 4K LED or Plasma. And for what I paid, I could buy 3 of these, for what a 60" 4K goes for.

This my first post on the forum. I will be posting more, I want to upgrade my sound system.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page