AVS Forum banner

OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Tags
hewlett packard hewlett packard company hewlett packard hp hitachi 42hdt79 ultravision cineform 42 inch plasma hdtv television lg lg 60pm6700 plasma hdtv panasonic 37 inch plasma display th 37pr11uk panasonic 42 inch th 42lrh50u panasonic eur7737z20 remote control compatibility th37px60u th42px60u th50px60u th58px60u panasonic tc 65ps64 65 inch panasonic tc p50st60 50 inch 3d smart plasma hdtv panasonic tc p65s60 65 inch 1080p 600hz plasma hdtv panasonic th 37lru50 37 inch panasonic th 42pd50u 42 inch flat panel edtv plasma tv panasonic th 42pwd8uk 42 inch plasma edtv panasonic th 42px25u p 42 inch high definition plasma tv panasonic th 42px80u panasonic th 50px75u 50 inch 720p plasma hdtv panasonic th42pf50u 42 inch plasma panasonic th50px600u 50 inch plasma flat panel hdtv panasonic th65vx300u 65 inch 3d 1080p premiere display panasonic viera tc p42st30 42 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p46s30 46 inch plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p46st30 46 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p50gt50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p50st50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p55ut50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p55vt50 panasonic viera tc p60gt50 60 inch plasma tv panasonic viera tc p60ut50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65gt30 65 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p65gt50 plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65vt30 65 inch 3d plasma hdtv panasonic viera tc p65vt50 65 inch plasma tv panasonic viera tc p65zt60 65 inch plasma hdtv panasonic viera th 50px80u 50 inch 720p plasma hdtv philips philips 42pf7220a 42 inch plasma hdtv philips 50pf7321d 37 plasma hdtv pioneer pioneer brand pioneer electronics brand pioneer elite brand pioneer pdp 5080 hd samsung 51 inch pn51e530 plasma hdtv samsung ln37d550 lcd hdtv samsung pn51d550 51 inch 1080p 3d plasma hdtv 3d kit samsung pn51e550 51 inch 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn51e6500 51 inch 1080p 600hz 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn59d550 59 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv samsung pn59d550 59 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv black 2011 model samsung pn60e7000 60 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d ultra slim plasma hdtv samsung pn60e8000 60 inch ultra slim plasma 3d hdtv samsung pn60f5300 60 inch 1080p 600hz plasma hdtv samsung pn64d550 64 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d plasma hdtv black 2011 model samsung pn64d550 64 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma hdtv black 3d kit samsung pn64d7000 64 inch 1080p 600 hz 3d plasma hdtv black samsung pn64d8000 64 inch 1080p 600hz 3d plasma tv 2011 model samsung pn64e533 64 inch class plasma 533 series tv samsung pn64e550 64 inch 3d slim plasma hdtv samsung pn64e7000 64 inch 3d ultra slim plasma hdtv samsung pn64e8000 64 inch ultra slim plasma 3d hdtv samsung pn64f8500 64 inch 3d smart plasma hdtv sony sony 50 inch kdl50ex645 sony 60 inch kdf 60xs955 videosecu tilting plasma tv wall mount lcd monitor bracket with free 7ft hdmi cable and 6 3 axis mag vizio 46 inch 1080p full hd lcd e460me zenith zenith z60pv220 60 plasma hdtv
808K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  tripleportraitplasma 
#1 ·
I want to hear from you guys about your Plasmas. This is not a "Mine is Better than Yours" thread. Be thoughtful and honest.

Just got a new display? Post it here ONLY: please do not start a new thread

Tell me the following:

1. The "Model" you have.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Thanks.

Dave

See less See more
#1,856 ·
1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic TC-P54G20

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Thought to be the best 2D only TV of 2010... Price... CNET reviews.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

PQ. Motion resolution.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

IR. Styling is rather blah.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

The Vierra stuff the 2011's have

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

PLEASE FIX THE FLOATING BLACKS with a firmware upgrade!? At least give us the option to turn off this "feature", because truly, I don't think any of the Panny Plasma owners here care about energy savings when it comes to critical viewing. Again, at least give us the option to turn it off!!!

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

The floating blacks sucked pretty bad. Also, I thought the blacks would disappear/fade into the background, but they don't, and that's an unrealistic expectation I had. Still... I was hoping the blacks would be blacker than this. It's my first plasma.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

Floating blacks sadly.

9. Do you really think that today's "Prices" are worth it.

Substantially cheaper than LED prices inch-for-inch. Better picture quality and cheaper, makes it a no-brainer. Too bad about the floating blacks though.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

Very happy I finally have a plasma! Always wanted one, but for some reason... kept going back to LCD. Oh and this if my first "big" TV purchase. Previous TV's were

#1,857 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean80 /forum/post/20415415

1. Samsung PN43D490A1D

2. was tired of LCD jutter, had tried 3 LCD tvs....so I got this just to try it out...its not going back!

3. The bang for your buck, so to speak. tons of features, little cost.

4. wish it were 1080p and bigger lol. honestly i cant tell any difference on anything smaller than 50 inch anyways.

5. A headphone jack or an audio output other than optical would be awesome.

6. remove the red stripe....add an audio output with rca's for us old people.

7. Picture quality and ability to render colors.

8. its 8 hurs old...we will see lol

9. entirely worth it for this model.

I like the remote control set up....i dont like the design of the back end of it....it looks like a ski. just kinda weird. aside from stupid nit picking, any problem i have with it is easy to get over.....I love this tv. was surpried by the depth of the 3D on it even though its a lower (lowest) model. I really just wanted to give plasma a test drive at home.....all tvs look either great or terrible on the showroom floor....had to get it in my environment to play various movies. I was very surprised at how good everything looked. Great entry level 3D tv.

I swear you have the exact same story as me lol. I got sick of LCD judder, flashlighting, and clouding. I went through 3 before saying screw it and tried the 43D50. My only complaint is some glare in the daytime, but eventually this TV will go in my bedroom or game room, so it wont really be an issue

#1,858 ·
1. Samsung PN51D550C1

2. Mainly the price, and more good reviews than bad ones.

3. The quality and the price for a 3d TV (mainly for entertaining my God Daughter and friends kids)

4. The Glare

5. Smart TV features

6. Reduce the glare

7. The amount it weighed. It was nice to be able to lift it and set it up without breaking a sweat.

8. The original one I had picked up would not let the 3d Glasses pair to the tv. Also the known buzz on plasmas was louder than it should of been.

9. With the model I received I would say yes.

10. The one thing I didn't research was the optical out not putting thru 5.1 (see the thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1336521 ) Over all i am happy with my purchase.

#1,859 ·
Hi guys, im new to the forum, but have been reading it for the past month. I purchased the panasonic vt 30 55. Liked it but thought it was too small for me. It also had a little choppy movement when watching certain show and movies. I did see the fluctuating black but very rareley. Coming my my 36 tube tv, I couldnt get used to the motion.

So now, I returned the vt30 for the Samsung d8000 64. As soon as I turned ut on...I disnt like it. The actual picture clarity wasnt as good..i played around with all the features. The biggest issue was with faces. There seemed to be a lot of picure noise. The color though is brighter like led in all modes than panasonic.

Now I am on the verge of going back to bb to get the 65 vt30. The picure did grow on me and I commented to my wife that the picture looked like it got better on the panasonic the more we use it. We even questioned about returning it but wanted a bigger tv and it is very clear.

Should I even look at led. I like the bright picture but want the best motion.

#1,862 ·
I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and staying in The Cosmopolitan (super super nice by the way) and my room's got two 46" Samsung LCD panel models numbered LN46C539F1HXZA and let me tell you...while the pictures are vivid and bright but the quality was so lacking. Everything looked artificial, and as far I know, this tv was supposed to be 1080p. There were signs of motion blur and that's pretty understandable for being LCDs, but the main thing I've noticed were vertical banding in certain scenes.

I'm glad I bought a Panasonic Plasma because the picture quality on my tv was incomparable and everything in it looked so crystal clear and natural, or realistic I should say. My mates saw the Samsungs at first and their first and initial impressions were like "wow, so bright and clear"...but then a few minutes later they (the girls) knew something didn't looked right so I pointed out the factors to them. Not putting down Samsung but more of LCD vs Plasma -- or Panasonic Plasma for that matter.

#1,863 ·
Just got a new 55" ST30 and at 24 hours running the slides.

They all look very dim which is a bit disconcerting since I like nice radiant pictures and colors, so hopefully after this is done the brightness will be higher and the colors will pop more. Otherwise, I don't hear any buzzing and I don't notice any dead pixels. I'm a little worried about the brightness especially since the roof of this room has two skylights and the floor is laminate wood so it may reflect a fair deal, so I'll have to try and get a black rug or something to cut down on that. Hopefully it'll still look okay if it's a little bright during the day.

#1,865 ·
Whoops well I realized why it seemed dim... I set the picture controls to the right things on the normal mode when I turned the tv on but viera connect stuff like slideshows have their own picture settings for each input basically. I ran the slides on standard mode not custom for 1 full day
hopefully that won't screw up the overall process too much

#1,866 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy /forum/post/20543501

I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and staying in The Cosmopolitan (super super nice by the way) and my room's got two 46" Samsung LCD panel models numbered LN46C539F1HXZA and let me tell you...while the pictures are vivid and bright but the quality was so lacking. Everything looked artificial, and as far I know, this tv was supposed to be 1080p. There were signs of motion blur and that's pretty understandable for being LCDs, but the main thing I've noticed were vertical banding in certain scenes.

I'm glad I bought a Panasonic Plasma because the picture quality on my tv was incomparable and everything in it looked so crystal clear and natural, or realistic I should say. My mates saw the Samsungs at first and their first and initial impressions were like "wow, so bright and clear"...but then a few minutes later they (the girls) knew something didn't looked right so I pointed out the factors to them. Not putting down Samsung but more of LCD vs Plasma -- or Panasonic Plasma for that matter.

I have Samsung 59D6910 Europe version and i don't have these problems you described and none Issues you said i am happy with HD and especially SD quality and it's imba for gaming dunno how Panasonic makes it when i look VT30 i am not so impressed compared to Sammy. Mine TV is Made in Hungary dunno where from yours Sammy plasmas come mby alot of problems with build quality.

#1,868 ·
I ordered (should pick up today) a Zenith 50" 1080p Plasma last night from the Sears' website. My total out-the-door cost was ~$637 (tax included). I'm supposed to get an addition 6% cash back from Fatwallet (website) and I also will be credited $50 towards a future Sears electronics purchase. I feel I got an awesome deal.

This will be my first HD TV, and I'll be upgrading from a 35" SuperScan (Hitachi rebrand I believe) tube TV (what a heavy SOB it is...) that I've had for the better part of 5+ years. I'm really excited and can't wait to see how it looks in my apartment.

#1,872 ·
1. TC P50ST30

2. Lots of reading on this forum and other

3. Still to new to say what I like best, I gues the updated features in technology , it's been about 6-7 years since I purchased a tv, now many features I connected my PC for are built in.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. First day, ( today) out of box the picture is dim and dull , not crisp like I might have hoped. After much reading on this and other forums , I am hoping I can adjust/calibrate it to improve. I am used to a LCD DLP, so far it has a much sharper picture than the new plasma

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. - Maybe the THX and professional calibration if I can't improve it myself

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. Still too new to me

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. -I was a little surprised at the price going down on plasma's the last year or so.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.- Right now I need to adjust the picture quality, last night I breifly watched the Stanley Cup thru satellite HD, and the white ice was constantly changing , almost like camera flashes, and at times would wash out then adjust back. That was surprising. I am hoping it's is just "new" and I can find some setting that needs to turned on or off.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Yes

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. - I must say, If I had not been digging into Plasma info for the past few months , I would be dissappointed with this tv. I am hoping with some user settings available in the menu, I can get this outputting the type of picture quality I have been reading about . I might sound a little negative now, hopefully it's just getting used to the plasma vs. lcd . I appreciate all the info here in this forum, I will be looking for ways to improve this picture the next few days.

My first post, hopefully all this will get where it should go

#1,875 ·
I just ordered my first 2 HDTV's yesterday.

First one is a Panasonic TC-P65ST30 for the living room - along with the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD player. It replaces an 11 year old JVC 36" CRT that has served me well. Audio side is an oldish Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX and Paradigm Studio 60's, CC, and Servo-15 sub. Also got the ball rolling for DirecTV to replace my dish and add an HD DVR/receiver plus another rx for the bedroom.

Also ordered a Panasonic TC-P42ST30 for the bedroom, to replace the ancient 27" Sharp CRT currently in use. This panel will be wall mounted, and I will probably buy a bar style speaker system for it.

I placed the order with Amazon, expected delivery will be late this coming week. I got one 3D starter pack (glasses +Avatar 3D) with each TV, so I have 4 sets of glasses and an extra copy of Avatar. Will get yet another copy with a mail in rebate for the BD player.

I'm not sure if we can talk price in this thread, so let me just say I got a heck of a deal. Both TV's, the BD, and 4 sets of glasses for only a little more than BB wanted for just the 65" ST30.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! Anybody want a couple of old heavy CRT's?

#1,879 ·
1. Samsung PN59D6500

2. Lots of reading on this forum and seeing it live at a local BB.

3. Replaced a 50 LG, so the size increase is nice, however I really like the wifi and the ability to stream movies.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. Nothing to complain about ...yet.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had. - Web browser and Qwerty remote. (I did find an app for my Iphone which allows me to use it as a keyboard via bluetooth. Works great).

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. The base is fugly! Please redesign. (wall mounted here)

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. - Price. You get a whole lot of TV and other goodies (3D glasses, movies and Blu-Ray player) for not too much money (relatively).

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.- Possible streaming issue with Netflix. Drops the stream (screen goes black for split second). Too early to hazard a guess why. Need to troubleshoot.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Yes!

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged. -