OK! Your Plasma! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #2221 of 2240 Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. The "Model" you have. Panasonic 55GT30

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model". I have always enjoyed plasma TVs over any LCD. We actually have a 60 inch LG Plasma in the living room and a 51 inch 720p Samsung Plasma in one of the bedrooms. I always wanted one of the "higher end" plasmas but they are hard to come by at a decent price. I currently have a pretty terrible Westinghouse 46 inch LCD in one of the other bedrooms and had decided to upgrade to a budget 4k (RCA or Sceptre). I did one more craigslist search and found this model with a Polk Audio 5000 sound bar for 400. I decided it was worth the risk.

3. What you like best about your Plasma. The image looks amazing. I have not yet mounted it because I want to address some issues first but the it looks a lot better than my other 2 plasmas. Also, it is incredibly thin and feels well built.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma. It has a slight buzzing from the top right corner. I know these Plasmas are prone to screws backing out from the boards and frying themselves so before mounting it, I am going to install the new type of screws with washers. The sound could be better too.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.
Better speakers and better screws for the board! I really do not want to have to take the back cover off (it will be my first time), but I want to do all that I can to make this thing last. They don't make them like they used to!

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma. Use better materials and extend warranty on displays that have a known manufacturers defect.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma. Even though it is 5 years old, it only had 4481 Hours on it. That was a welcome surprise.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma. None so far. But I will definitely be replacing those faulty screws.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it. Depends what you are looking for. I think if you want a really big TV and could care less about "Smart TVs", I believe there are deals out there to be had. I do not think the high end stuff is worth the price nowadays. My uncle has a Curved Samsung and it does not look better even than my relatively inferior LG Plasma. If you have to have the latest technology such as 4k and Smart apps, I think you can find good deals. But if your priority is PQ than Plasmas can't be beat.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
Try to take care of your Plasma TVs as best as you can. It is sad seeing these TVs all over craigslist either broken or neglected. Also, avoid CNN like the plague. They red and white logo in the bottom right corner will cause you many hours freaking out about Burn in .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2240 Old 05-22-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Where is all the chatter?
post #2223 of 2240 Old 05-22-2016, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehilonewolf View Post
Where is all the chatter?
Not many people able to buy plasmas nowadays, Mile !

post #2224 of 2240 Old 06-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #2225 of 2240 Old 06-20-2016, 10:17 AM

We recently revived our PRO-111FD from the 8-blink death. We used a 26" Mintek 1366x768 TN LCD in the week the mainboard was sent for repair and, well, it was a welcome return, let's just say, haha.
post #2226 of 2240 Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Just picked up another 5020fd with fewer hours than mine. It only cost me a bit over $100 even after repair. Can't believe people basically throw these things away after seeing a few blinking blue dots
post #2227 of 2240 Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
Just picked up another 5020fd with fewer hours than mine. It only cost me a bit over $100 even after repair. Can't believe people basically throw these things away after seeing a few blinking blue dots
Right?! I almost came home too late; the whole family had already given up that it had died for good. After 30 seconds of Google'ing, you can see that the blinks are incredibly easy to repair.

Hmmm. Maybe a different sort of crowd.
post #2228 of 2240 Old 02-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon View Post
Right?! I almost came home too late; the whole family had already given up that it had died for good. After 30 seconds of Google'ing, you can see that the blinks are incredibly easy to repair.

Hmmm. Maybe a different sort of crowd.
Picked up a 60GT50 from a fella who is moving overseas soon. He let me have it for $350, and I have a feeling if I pressed, I could have gotten it for even less because he didn't seem to need the money. We were having good conversation about tech and lamenting the lack of progress regarding true picture quality, so I didn't want to sour the mood by low balling.

Anyway, amazing tv for the price. No burn-in, banding, or other flaws I can find, and the tv only has ~5,000 hours on it!! Which, for a tv made in 2012 which acted as his main display while he worked from home, is pretty great in my book.

For comparison, the two Pioneer 5020s I own have 25k and 40k hours which are just absurd numbers. Those two still work like a charm (although the 40k hour count one does get noticeably hot after even 20 minutes of operation).

Things I like best about the new set:

Amazing picture quality (especially for the money). Being a long time Pioneer Kuro fanboy, I was surprised at what equal footing this GT was on with the two black level tweaked 5020s I have! Blacks aren't quite as dark (obviously) but if you have a Kuro with a lot of hours and haven't done any black level tweaking to combat the rising (and reddening) blacks, I'd say it's much closer than you would think after reading these forums for years.

Aside from blacks, I can't think of much the Pioneers do better than the Panasonic. In fact, I think I may prefer the Panasonic's near-black shadow rendition (both sets at 2.4 gamma)...there's just more detail there! So, I'll take a much bigger, lighter, thinner, more stylish TV from 2012 over a Kuro at this price any day.

In fact, I DID. I had the option to buy a 6020FD for $50 less. have watched Craigslist religiously for these things for years and they don't pop up that frequently so it's amazing that two 60 inch bargains dropped at the same time.

I passed because buying a 2008 vs a 2012 was more of a gamble and the last CL Pioneer was the one with 40k hours. I didn't want to have to move that hulking heater into my new apartment when I move. The quality of life benefits the Panasonic provides are worth it to me, and I'm beginning to think I might actually prefer the picture.

It's just got a more 'fluid' image. Some have described the Kuro's picture as being 'coarser' and I think I would tend to agree with that. I read a good article recently on such a comparison and it detailed the panel driving methods which are behind that difference in appearance. I will link if I can find. Purists may prefer the Pioneer method because it may appear a little more 'analog' to some while the Panasonic, while still incredibly natural looking, could be construed as being in the 'digital' camp.

Now that I have an OLED as my main display though, I think I'm firmly in the 'digital' but cleaner image camp (but still with far more natural colors and greater image depth than LED).

Last edited by ll Viper ll; 02-11-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #2229 of 2240 Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Liked: 0
1. The "Model" you have.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD. February 09 if that's worth anything.

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".
Wanted a Kuro and found this one

3. What you like best about your Plasma.
Size is perfect for my space, contrast is good

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.
Red tint, needs some adjustment because blacks aren't so hot. I've got some cables on the way

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.
Ummm auto-calibration?

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.
Red tint Pioneer, wtf

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.
So it was advertised as a 50". I looked at the build date but not the badge when I bought. Was more checking for burn in and such. Got it home, took my 50" PDP-504 down and realized the new set was way bigger. Looked at the badge and it was a 151. Shiiiiiittt.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.
Nothing except slight red tint, blacks aren't so hot.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.
$300 felt good to me

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.
I'm already confused as to ControlCal, KuroCommand (which I can't find a link to) etc. I just wanna tweak the red tint, put in d-nice's settings and go. Not investing in a colorimeter anytime soon.

Thanks.

Dave[/QUOTE]
post #2230 of 2240 Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Alright, now I have a dilemma, the 60 inch GT50 I bought for $350 has been working out fantastically. Problem is, a 60 inch VT60 just popped up on Craigslist in my area for $500.

Do I go with the TV that's better in every way (sans input lag) for an extra $150 (I would have to sell the GT50 and hope I don't lose anything)...or stick with a great tv (which is a secondary tv in the first place) and save myself the possible headache?
post #2231 of 2240 Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post
Alright, now I have a dilemma, the 60 inch GT50 I bought for $350 has been working out fantastically. Problem is, a 60 inch VT60 just popped up on Craigslist in my area for $500.

Do I go with the TV that's better in every way (sans input lag) for an extra $150 (I would have to sell the GT50 and hope I don't lose anything)...or stick with a great tv (which is a secondary tv in the first place) and save myself the possible headache?
Keep the GT and buy the VT. Have your cake and eat it too. Keep one as a backup in case one dies. Good plasmas are getting harder to find. Or, post your city/state and maybe someone can "help you out" with your problem by taking one off your hands. I would be interested if you were in my neck of the woods.

-Shimon
post #2232 of 2240 Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
Keep the GT and buy the VT. Have your cake and eat it too. Keep one as a backup in case one dies. Good plasmas are getting harder to find. Or, post your city/state and maybe someone can "help you out" with your problem by taking one off your hands. I would be interested if you were in my neck of the woods.
If I don't end up buying it by the end of the weekend I will post, I'm sure if more eyes see it, it'll be gone soon.

And I have 3 plasmas and an OLED already (2 Pioneer 5020s, the 60GT50, and my 9100).

The pioneers were given to a family member and my girlfriend on semi-permanent loan. The gt50 AND 9100 are both currently in my room at home. When I move out with a friend, the gt50 will become the living room tv for older game systems and casual viewing (the 9100 will go in my room for serious viewing, ps4, and pc hookup)

One of the pioneers will probably be coming back to me when I move in with my gf eventually. So, yeah, there's my dilema...lots of great tvs and not enough space/people to use them!

I would probably sell the gt50. My parents have a larger DLP and are uninterested in upgrading but if I could convince them, I'd let them have it at a loss.
post #2233 of 2240 Old 02-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

I've decided to go for the VT60 after all. I will more than likely post my GT50 on here as well as Craigslist and ebay for a very reasonable price. If anyone is near Atlanta and wants a 60GT50 with low hours and in good condition, feel free to PM me.
post #2234 of 2240 Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Not a new plasma, but I nabbed a Hitachi P50V701 in pristine condition from Craigslist. I have owned 3 Panny's and a Pioneer Kuro, but never a Hitachi. This is from the last year that ALIS plasmas were made and it's quite an interesting piece of kit. Black levels are terrible but the colors are surprisingly gorgeous. It's quite bright as well (for a plasma!) and, unlike Pio and Panny plasmas, there isn't any significant phosphor lag or temporary image retention. Aside from the gray black levels, scaling every source to 1024x1080i produces some odd issues. Generally 1080p sources look good and detailed but some diagonal lines show noise and stair-stepping. It's not noticeable in actual content, usually, but it's there. Despite being an "interlaced" display, it shows no flickering, but the overall picture can be noisy at times.

I'm pretty pleased with this Hitachi, just as a novelty and a piece of history if nothing else. edit: added a couple more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	2184985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	2184993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	2185001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	2185009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	2198913  

Name:	IMG_0860.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	2198921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	532.6 KB
ID:	2198929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	2198937  

OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)

Last edited by Ozymandis; 06-22-2017 at 07:35 AM.
post #2235 of 2240 Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Panasonic TC-P65VT25 Display issue

Hi I just noticed last night the display issue in the center of my Panasonic Plasma TC-PC65VT25 tv. Attached are the screenshot which shows the imperfection. Any idea what the problem could be ? Again this problem is only happening in the center vertical section of the TV kind of half way down from center top.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4081.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	2237969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	2237977  
post #2236 of 2240 Old 07-15-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have no clue what causes that problem, but a new sc board might help.
post #2237 of 2240 Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked up a Pioneer 5020fd with an elite 111FD board in it, calibrated by D Nice. Local guy had it, I gave $300.00 for it. Seems to be in good shape, but only time will tell. He said he had the hours checked when he bought from another individual in 2014, and it was less than 2500 hrs. He estimates that he put about 1500 hrs on it himself. Came with speaker/remote/manual.

Unfortunately it's not possible to check the hours without special software - which I don't have right now - so who knows if he was telling the truth. But I figure if I can get at least two years out of it, I'll be satisfied that I got a pretty good deal. Hopefully by then OLED will be more mature and affordable.
post #2238 of 2240 Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just purchased a gently used Panasonic TC-P50GT30 on Craigslist to replace my TC-P42S2 which had developed what looked like a set of green cubes going down the screen just to the right of center --it was intermittent, but I didn't trust it not to get worse.

That set I bought used but in great shape ($165), but it only lasted me a year. Before that, I had a th-42px75u which lasted for years, and is still so good that it's now at my parents house as a second TV (also had the best speakers I've ever had on a TV).

This is the most beautiful plasma I've ever seen, and there's not a scratch or defect on it. I'd have loved to get a GT50 or an ST60 50", but I didn't see one out there, and I don't have space for the 60-65" versions. Nor did I want to drive 200 miles each way to try and find something newer/better, only to come up empty handed.

I paid $250.00 for it. It has 1,300 hours on it, and I was told it has never needed repair. I'll probably need to shell 20-25 for the component video adapter/composite audio adapter cables, but I'm fine with that. I have a TiVo Roamio Plus on HDMI1 doing tuner/DVR duries, and an HTPC on HDMI2 running Kodi. If I find the adapter cables, I'll plug the Wii that I barely use back in, and the audio outs will either go to a soundbar when I pick one up, or the 275w Aiwa bookshelf system I have there.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Last edited by LoneWolf15; 07-21-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #2239 of 2240 Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf15 View Post
Just purchased a gently used Panasonic TC-P50GT30 on Craigslist to replace my TC-P42S2 which had developed what looked like a set of green cubes going down the screen just to the right of center --it was intermittent, but I didn't trust it not to get worse.

That set I bought used but in great shape ($165), but it only lasted me a year. Before that, I had a th-42px75u which lasted for years, and is still so good that it's now at my parents house as a second TV (also had the best speakers I've ever had on a TV).

This is the most beautiful plasma I've ever seen, and there's not a scratch or defect on it. I'd have loved to get a GT50 or an ST60 50", but I didn't see one out there, and I don't have space for the 60-65" versions. Nor did I want to drive 200 miles each way to try and find something newer/better, only to come up empty handed.

I paid $250.00 for it. It has 1,300 hours on it, and I was told it has never needed repair. I'll probably need to shell 20-25 for the component video adapter/composite audio adapter cables, but I'm fine with that. I have a TiVo Roamio Plus on HDMI1 doing tuner/DVR duries, and an HTPC on HDMI2 running Kodi. If I find the adapter cables, I'll plug the Wii that I barely use back in, and the audio outs will either go to a soundbar when I pick one up, or the 275w Aiwa bookshelf system I have there.
Ha! My buy sounds like a ripoff compared to yours. Congrats.

I have a TCP-42S2 that developed the dreaded purple snake problem. I'm really not sure what I want to do with it. I doubt it's worth the trouble of selling...I don't have room now to keep it set up for people to see it working.
post #2240 of 2240 Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel7254 View Post
Ha! My buy sounds like a ripoff compared to yours. Congrats.

I have a TCP-42S2 that developed the dreaded purple snake problem. I'm really not sure what I want to do with it. I doubt it's worth the trouble of selling...I don't have room now to keep it set up for people to see it working.
I donated mine to Goodwill. They took it off my hands quickly, and I'll just add it to the receipt they gave me for the tax write-off.

I can already tell you in Craigslist in my area, you could get a 60" GT50 for like $500, less if you do a little haggling. That just won't fit in my space; even 55" would have been cutting it super close.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 37lru50 37 Inch , Panasonic 37 Inch Plasma Display Th 37pr11uk , Panasonic Th 42pwd8uk 42 Inch Plasma Edtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Samsung 51 Inch Pn51e530 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 3d Kit , Samsung Pn64d550 64 Inch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page