FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1376 Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Eng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

Can I run a Panasonic 50inch 7th generation Plasma with DVI input using one to one pixel mapping and get it to work with PAL? I have been told that NTSC is 60hz and PAL is 50 hz and there may be a problem with this.

Thanks.

Finally got my Panasonic TH-50PHD7WK Plasma and loving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1376 Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eng
Hi Guys,

Can I run a Panasonic 50inch 7th generation Plasma with DVI input using one to one pixel mapping and get it to work with PAL? I have been told that NTSC is 60hz and PAL is 50 hz and there may be a problem with this.

Thanks.

Assuming you are talking full screen at the panels native resolution 1366x768,
The short answer is no. Actually, the RGB/Component input would be a better choice for a PAL signal. The RGB/Component input accepts both PAL, and PAL60 in a variety of formats.

The DVI blade accepts only a limited number of input signals.

see attached spec from the Panasonic DVI blade manual:
LL
post #273 of 1376 Old 05-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Eng

Thanks for that, So what happens when I connect to the DVI input at 60Hz and then play a PAL DVD which outputs at 50Hz? Will the computer software sort it all out? Or will I get weird stuff?

Finally got my Panasonic TH-50PHD7WK Plasma and loving it.
post #274 of 1376 Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM

This question is probably a little off topic but I have read through too many threads to keep trying to find the information I need to.

That being said....

I have heard that many of the panasonics will actually down convert 720P signals to 480P. Is this true? Does anyone know what models do not down convert? I have heard nothing but good things about the panny's except this.
post #275 of 1376 Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by HAAS
This question is probably a little off topic but I have read through too many threads to keep trying to find the information I need to.

That being said....

I have heard that many of the panasonics will actually down convert 720P signals to 480P. Is this true? Does anyone know what models do not down convert? I have heard nothing but good things about the panny's except this.

Obviously, the ED sets do as that is their native resolution.

Panasonic (and many other brands) convert 720p signals to 1080 prior to scaling to their native resolution (768 or 480 as the case may be).
post #276 of 1376 Old 05-11-2005, 06:43 PM

It seems like the panasonic models that have built in HD tuner or Cable card slot woul dbe a waste for me since I have Direct TV HD which of course requires a HD reciever. WOuld you guys agree? & if so based on that info which model is best for me...thanks
post #277 of 1376 Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 PM

I purchased and just received my TH42PWD7UY and TH42PHD7UY today. I have been working all day on trying to get a tv signal on my DVI board. My setup is as follows:

TV: TH42PHD7UY
Cable: Monster Cable DVI to HDMI
Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 - Uses HDMI

Ive tried two different DVI boards in slot 1 and 2. No luck. Ive gone through all the basic troubleshooting proceedures with my cable provider (Cablevision), resetting the box, triple checking connections, etc. I'm not really sure where to go from this point. Any pointers from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
post #278 of 1376 Old 05-12-2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GHirsch76
I purchased and just received my TH42PWD7UY and TH42PHD7UY today. I have been working all day on trying to get a tv signal on my DVI board. My setup is as follows:

Ive tried two different DVI boards in slot 1 and 2. No luck. Ive gone through all the basic troubleshooting proceedures with my cable provider (Cablevision), resetting the box, triple checking connections, etc. I'm not really sure where to go from this point. Any pointers from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Are you getting anything on the DVI Input...IE white noise? Will the monitor switch to the slot that the board is installed in?

I normally leave my cable DVR on all the time.

I use the DVI board, but with a DVI-DVI connection to my DVR (CableOne, Motorola). The Motorola box, "loves" to reboot itself. (CableOne claims it is caused by a signal from them, but I'm not sure I buy their explanation).
Sometimes this happens when I'm watching TV. The screen initially freezes, and then goes blank (black). After the reboot, and I turn the Box back on, there is a short period (less than 1 second) of "white noise" while the Digital "handshake" re-occurs between the Monitor, and the Cable Box.

My box is in an enclosed cabinet, so I can't see it... but, If the box happens to be off when I first turn the monitor on, I know it is off because the monitor refuses to switch to Slot 1, (where my DVI board is).

The Monitor will not switch to an input that does not have an active signal, but it will remain on an input that the TV recognized a signal from, after it has been turned on.

This doesn't solve your problem, but it may help in troubleshooting the problem.

Also, there is a thread on this board (I can't find it right now) regarding the SA8300 and HDMI... I believe that you are not the only one who has had a similar problem.. I believe the solution was to upgrade to the SA8300HD. But a search of the forum may provide your solution.
post #279 of 1376 Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 PM

All,
I live in an apartment and just recently bought the following items and I seriously need some advice how to set up my system:

- Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY (no speakers)
-JVC DVD Player/Receiver RX-DV31SL + Orb Audio speakers
- Time Warner basic cable package with only a coaxial socket F-type connection (with a needle in the middle).

First thing I notice is the Panny doesn't have the F-type connector, so what should I do? Can I get a cable with one end having F-type plug for the cable socket and the other end having an RCA plug for the Panny's composite video input?

But if I do the above, how do I get sounds out of my Panny? I read the Panny manual and it says do not use any other speakers except the Panny's optional package!

For my JVC player/receiver, the following input/output are available:
-4 Audio In, 2 Out
-2 Composite Video In/Out
-Component Video out
-2 S-video in/out
-2 Assignable Digtial Inputs (1 Optical, 1 Coaxial) that you can designate to any digital source
-1 Optical digital output

So, the question is, how do out get the video into the TV while at the same time send the audio to my receiver? I don't want to use the S-video because I heard it's worse than the component. Will buying a DVI or HDMI blade help (I have no idea what these are anyway, just happen to read about them!)

Thanks a million!
post #280 of 1376 Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 PM

Viper:

I really think you may be better off to contact the store that sold you the Panny and get them to come over and help you set it up. If that doesn't work for you here are some ideas.

Let's talk about your receiver first. You should be able to run your coaxial cable from your Time Warner box into your receiver. This should bring your video into the receiver for viewing cable TV. Next issue is to get the video to run out of the receiver to the Panny. I would choose the video composite out option you list. On the Panny if you did not get a set of adapters that would convert the existing BNC input to an RCA connection go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and get three of them and put them on the existing BNC connectors on the Panny. You will then need a good quality RBG cable with male RCA ends to run from your receiver to the Panny. This should provide you with video for viewing TV and DVD from your receiver.

Now to audio. Doesn't your Time Warner box have a separate audio out connection? Assuming it does, choose the best one available. If it only offers a red and white RCA connection use that. If it offers digital use that. It doesn't look like HDMI is an option at the moment so don't worry about that unless you want to buy some new equipment. Just run whatever audio you intend to use (I can't tell how many speakers you have, ) into the receiver and from the receiver out to the speakers. Don't worry about the caution about not using speakers other than Panasonics, that really onlly applies if you are running your audio into the Panasonic monitor and in this case you are not, your are running audio through the receiver.

This should at least get you up and running, but if were me, I would spend some extra dough, upgrade my cable box, receiver and DVD player and make better use of the great Video you can get from the Panny. You might also want to hire someone or find a friend to come over and help you with the setup.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
post #281 of 1376 Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GHirsch76

Ghirsh - I have the HD DVR model of that box for cablevision and the 50 phd7uy. The HDMI (not DVI board like you have but similiar) worked with no problems out of the box. Have you tried component (I'm guessing you have) to at least get a picture out to the TV? For what it's worth I have found the HDMI and component quality almost indistinguishable from my cable box.
post #282 of 1376 Old 05-25-2005, 04:37 AM

Hi all,

Newb to HDTV world. I just got the 42PX50U. Read through a lot of DVD posts but in the end I am more confused than when I started. Would appreciate if you guys could recommend a DVD player that would work well with this PDP.

MY STB is connected via component inputs. TWC STB has only DVI out. Is it better for me to connect the STB with DVI/HDMI adapter or get a DVD and connect that to the HDMI port ? Would that choice become more difficult if I decide to get STB with PVR function?

When I connect my Sony DVD player via S video I have audio synch problems. But from Composite it is not an issue. Did anyone experience this with S Video ?

Sdsam
post #283 of 1376 Old 05-27-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg120785 View Post

Viper:

Let's talk about your receiver first. You should be able to run your coaxial cable from your Time Warner box into your receiver. This should bring your video into the receiver for viewing cable TV.

To me it sounds like you are missing an NTSC tuner? I don't think Viper has a TW STB. I wouldn't think the DVD player/receiver is capable of this (although I haven't looked up this particular model). I would suggest that the easiest approach for you is to request a set top box (STB) from TW. This will perform the 'channel tuning' that you appear to be missing from your setup. I upgraded my basic Comcast package to the HD package for only $5 more a month. In order to do this the cable company needs to supply you with a STB (it's also cheaper than getting one of their digital packages, unless you want the digital channels, and you'll also get all the non premium HD channels). You can normally just go pickup a STB from their office once you have ordered it to save waiting for a tech.

Once you have the STB the hookup should be easy. The f-type coaxial connects into the STB. From the STB you have various options from best to worst (also depends on the STB):

1. DVI/HDMI output from the STB to the display, Fiber/Coaxial Digital output from STB to receiver.
2. Component output from STB to display, Analog R/L output from STB to receiver
3. S-Video output from STB to display, same audio as 2.
4. Composite output from STB to display, same audio as 2.

Hope this helps, once you get a TV tuner you should be set Viper.

Enjoy
post #284 of 1376 Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi there everyone!

I am about to buy a Panasonic TH42PX50U. Here are the following things that I want to hook up to my Denon AV3300.

Panny TV
Sony PS2
Toshiba RS-TX20 Tivo DVD Burner
Philips DVDP642
Comcast Dual Tuner HDTV DVR

So I was thinking to run S-Video to one input on the TV from monitor out and Component on the other for now,

On the component I would put the Tivo and the Comcast HD DVR. (Only using comcast box alone when I want to watch HD.

On the S-Video I would put the PS2 and the Phillips DVD player.

I could buy the Denon Av3805 but all I would get would be one more component input and the ability to upconvert the input.

Any thougts or recommendations? Any thoughts about using component versus DVI/HDMI?

Thanks in advance!

J
post #285 of 1376 Old 06-05-2005, 01:29 PM

On myPanasonic TH-50PHD7UY I have tried various combos. THe one that works best is run the Component wires from cable to TV direct. Use Fiber optic cord from cable box out to Reciever sound in. Regular video cables will not reproduce proper sound. Please tell if if i am missing something...works great.
post #286 of 1376 Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 AM

A few questions...
1. Are the commercial models still supposed to be better than the consumer..especially comparing: TH-42PWD7UY and TH-42PHD7UY to the TH-42PD50U and TH-42PX50U.
2. For the models above, are the consumer ones "8th generation"?
3. Main improvements over 7th generation?

Thanks in advance!

Joel Harrell
post #287 of 1376 Old 06-13-2005, 09:30 AM

Hi Bruzzi,

Any word on an update from Panasonic for a Th-42PHD7uy for the contrast fluctuations while watching letterboxed material using the component inputs?
post #288 of 1376 Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm wondering if there's been any recent news/info on the 8UY series?
post #289 of 1376 Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, isn't it about time for someone to start the Panasonic Plasma FAQ (2005 Link)
post #290 of 1376 Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post

I'm wondering if there's been any recent news/info on the 8UY series?

Announcement on 8UK just came out. So far they have just announced 42" and 37" ED models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=547477
post #291 of 1376 Old 06-14-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddl3 View Post

Hi Bruzzi,

Any word on an update from Panasonic for a Th-42PHD7uy for the contrast fluctuations while watching letterboxed material using the component inputs?

Unfortunately Not. For that reason I simply gave up on the "7UY" Models. Going to buy either the 50PHD8UK or the Consumer TH-50PX500U.

It's been more than 4 months without a Plasma.
post #292 of 1376 Old 06-14-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post

BTW, isn't it about time for someone to start the Panasonic Plasma FAQ (2004 Link)

Never mind the 2004, the link for the Panasonic FAQ is in the first post:

http://www.glaucobruzzi.com/plasma-faq/index.php?
post #293 of 1376 Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 AM

All.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX50U connected to a Comcast Motorola 6200 STB via a DVI to HDMI cable. I receive all standard definition material with no problem. However, when tuned to any High Definition channel, I get snow flashes on part of the screen that eventually turn into full blank screens and/or full snow constantly. If I reduce the STB resolution from 1080i or 720p to 480p for HDTV signals, the problem goes away. I have had Comcast check the signal and the box (no problems) and have changed the cable connector twice. This is only a problem with the HDMI input. All other inputs (except CableCard which I have not tried) work fine. Component high definition works fine in 720p or 1080i.
I have also been in contact with Panasonic service who now think that the problem may be the HDMI input in the display. Short of getting Panasonic to replace the HDMI input, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem and how I might go about fixing it?
post #294 of 1376 Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 PM

I am looking at these two models and would prefer the 7UY but I have read a great deal about strobing issues on other forums. However, I searched this thread and found no matches. Can you guys let me know if this "strobing" issue has been resolved?

Thanks for reading.
post #295 of 1376 Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffche View Post

I have a 42" viera (Aust. model) and was wanting some more info on the service menu...parameters and their meaning etc... the link to the service menu listed on your FAQ page didn't work for me...not sure if its me or not?? Any info re: the service menu for a viera would be very much appreciated.>!!!!

Thanks heaps...

Hi Steffche
In same boat, any luck with Service Menu Access Codes for TH-42PV30, (Australian Model).???

Regards
Brian (good on you Douglas Wood)
post #296 of 1376 Old 06-17-2005, 02:58 PM

I have a 37' panny ED in my bedroom and both me and the missus love it, so....

Because we are building a new house we have decided to sell our 61' DLP (any takers) and buy a 50" plasma for above the mantel (the DLP will just look wrong in front of the fireplace). To this end I have got the builder to install a power outlet and cable outlet (not that it is necessary for my proposed set up) above the mantel. I have also had a 2" conduit run from above the mantel to where my components are going to live, for the cables from the DVR and DVD player to go through.

The room is pre-wired for surround (again all wired to where the components are), which leads to my main question.

Do I go HD 50" or ED and which one, do I wait for the new ones (the PX500)? Need to order in the next week or so to make sure that it gets there in time for me to install it in the new house.

I do not need speakers on the TV so which is the best model without?

From what I have heard/read and from my experience with my other panny 37" I think the Panny is the one.
I have a full digital Panny reciever
Scientific Atlanta DVR
Sony 400 disk multi DVD player
JBL speakers

Which cables do I need to get the best signal to the TV.

If I buy the industrial panel, do I need any extra input cards to do this?

Thanks fellas, all and any advice would be appreciated.

Brit

Never, ever, get in the way of a man and his electronics, errr I mean Woman...
post #297 of 1376 Old 06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

If you are looking for a 50", HD is the only option. ED is only an option in 42" and 37".

50PHD7UY gets very good reviews and does not come with speakers or a pedestal stand which you wouldn't need anyway if you wall mount it.

For the best connection, you might want to look at HDMI. Some say that component looks just as good, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

For the commercial panny, you will have to get an HDMI blade. The commercial pannys come with component BNC, S-vid, composite, and VGA which can be used for a second component source with an adapter cable.

You can also run your video through a receiver with high bandwidth component video switching and component upconversion for simplicity and also to accomodate more sources.

Good luck.
post #298 of 1376 Old 06-17-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez View Post

If you are looking for a 50", HD is the only option. ED is only an option in 42" and 37".

50PHD7UY gets very good reviews and does not come with speakers or a pedestal stand which you wouldn't need anyway if you wall mount it.

For the best connection, you might want to look at HDMI. Some say that component looks just as good, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

For the commercial panny, you will have to get an HDMI blade. The commercial pannys come with component BNC, S-vid, composite, and VGA which can be used for a second component source with an adapter cable.

You can also run your video through a receiver with high bandwidth component video switching and component upconversion for simplicity and also to accomodate more sources.

Good luck.

Yep, the 50PHD7UY was the one I was hedging towards seeing as I don't need to have speakers etc.

Although I love the pic with my 37" through my cablecard that is not an option on this set (so I don't care if it comes with it or not) due to the fact that we wan't to use the DVR. All I want is to get the best pic possible through the DVR and it looks like HDMI is the way to go (I take it my DVR has a slot, haven't looked as yet).

S-Video triumphs over component for the DVD player I think so that is not a problem either.

Only other thing i suppose is the Nintendo/Playstation input, I supposed I would need another blade for that?

post #299 of 1376 Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOverseas View Post

S-Video triumphs over component for the DVD player I think so that is not a problem either.

Only other thing i suppose is the Nintendo/Playstation input, I supposed I would need another blade for that?

S-Video over component for DVD? This is the first I've heard of this.

If you get the HDMI blade, you won't be able to add another blade for your Nintendo unless you remove the component in slot 1.

If you want too add more s-vid imputs, most A/V receivers do S-Vid switching just fine.
post #300 of 1376 Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 PM

Oops my bad, component triumphs in that arena.

So let me get this straight I can't have the DVD (component), DVR (HDMI) AND my game console all connected at once with this set?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page