FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1376 Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw a review in Kiplingers personal finance magazine (probably September issue) that had a half page on flat panel TV's. It called the 50phd7uy the dream plasma and rated a Samsung model as a best budget option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1376 Old 08-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbolaya View Post

I have the sa8300 in nyc with my panny 50phd7uy plasma. The native rez on the panny is 720p. My question is which setting should I have selected on my cable box. Do I need to have 720p and 1080i both selected since some of my hd channels broadcast in each or will I get just as good pq if I just select 1080i. The channels change much quicker when I just have 1080i selected.

One other question. Whenever I turn on the tv and it is on an hd 1080i channel like hbo, most times I have to change the channel to a 720p hd channel like fox in order for it to switch to the correct aspect. If its a show that is supposed to have black bars on the sides(non hd program viewed on the hd channel) it stretches it to fill in, I have to switch to a different format channel and switch back to get the black bars on the sides and the correct aspect. I hope this makes sense.

Any help on both issues would be appreciated.

Jumbo - I have the 1080,720 and the 3rd I forget rez's outputting from my 8300. I had a ISF brother in law of a friend that tweaked it for me and corrected all my mistakes in the set up. He also did something that made all the 7xx chanels show in ful and all teh other channels show in strech mode 1 automatically.
Don't know if this helps but mine is working great now and since I saw you post I had to at least try to answer. Hope you are doing well bud.
post #333 of 1376 Old 08-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Bruzzi,

Did you see my reply from your reply?? you replied to me here on 7/21 with a question.....I didnt get back until 7/29.....your insight is eagerly awaited

Thanks
post #334 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 PM

We are about to buy a 50" plasma and keep going back and forth between the Fujitsu and the Panasonic. The Panasonic, of course, is way less espensive, and we've seen reviews that favor Panasonic and reviews that favor Fujitsu. The home theater dealers and installers all say Fujitsu all the way, no question. Most others say Panasonic. Any input? We are prepared to pay the extra $$ for the Fujitsu, but don't want to be stupid in paying that much more for an equal or possibly even inferior product. This is our first delve into the plasma scene, replacing a 15-year old Mitsubishi regular ol' tv.
post #335 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamE View Post

Bruzzi,

Sorry I didnt respond sooner, but to answer your questions back to me

Viewing distance about 14 feet. AS much HD as possible on D* HD, the rest regular late night TV, minimal DVD...(so what the reccommendation?, my original post is on this page a few days back thanks as always)

Sorry AdamE, I missed your reply.

Well, if you are planning to watch a lot of HD then the HD Model is definitively a better option. And regular TV won't look bad at 14 feet. For closer viewing distances (8-10') regular TV still looks better on a ED Model. IMO.

Or if you want to save some money, you can get the ED Model - at 14 feet HD programming will look stunning just like on a HD Model - keep it for couiple years and then buy a much improved HD Model for cheaper price.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #336 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonacv View Post

We are about to buy a 50" plasma and keep going back and forth between the Fujitsu and the Panasonic. The Panasonic, of course, is way less espensive, and we've seen reviews that favor Panasonic and reviews that favor Fujitsu. The home theater dealers and installers all say Fujitsu all the way, no question. Most others say Panasonic. Any input? We are prepared to pay the extra $$ for the Fujitsu, but don't want to be stupid in paying that much more for an equal or possibly even inferior product. This is our first delve into the plasma scene, replacing a 15-year old Mitsubishi regular ol' tv.

Well, the 50" Fujitsu utilizes Panasonic glass. The key difference is that the internal scaler that the Fujitsu uses is far superior (AVM II). The better scaler will provide much smoother moving images without artifacts. IMHO this alone is worth the price difference. I own a 55" Fujitsu that I just bought and I love it. The blacks aren't as good as on the 50" (not Panasonic glass) but it's amazing nontheless.

Good luck.
post #337 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonacv View Post

The Fujitsu 50" has a better PQ than Panasonic. IMO

Best of two Worlds...

The Great Panasonic Glass + the Superior AVM Video Processing.

I was going to get the Fujtsu P50XHA40US to replace my (sold) TH-37PWD6UY but the price I must pay for it is too high to my taste. Also I don't like to wallmount my plasmas so It's another $500 to get the tabletop stand, making the price even more expensive.

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #338 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Sorry AdamE, I missed your reply.

Well, if you are planning to watch a lot of HD then the HD Model is definitively a better option. And regular TV won't look bad at 14 feet. For closer viewing distances (8-10') regular TV still looks better on a ED Model. IMO.

Or if you want to save some money, you can get the ED Model - at 14 feet HD programming will look stunning just like on a HD Model - keep it for couiple years and then buy a much improved HD Model for cheaper price.

SO Bruzzi just so I know im on same poage as you:

If I want to splurge go for th-42px50u, right? or if I want to save some $$ you think from my distance ( 14 ft) i will be ok with EDTV.....which model?

Thanks as always
post #339 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamE View Post

SO Bruzzi just so I know im on same poage as you:

If I want to splurge go for th-42px50u, right? or if I want to save some $$ you think from my distance ( 14 ft) i will be ok with EDTV.....which model?

Thanks as always

AdamE, The ED Models have lower resolution so the pixels will be bigger than the HD Models. If you sit too close to a ED Plasma, the pixel structure (Many call it Screen Door Effect *) will be visible. But for most people, SDE start to disappear around 7 - 8 feet. At 10 the PQ will be just as great as the HD Models (lines will still be just a bit smoother on the HD for few people). At 14 feet there will be no difference.

If you want to stick with Panasonic... the Consumer TH-42PD50U or if you don't need speakers/tuners get the Commercial TH-42PWD8UK Display (stand is also optional).

* "Screen Door Effect" is when you sit too close to a Plasma Display and the pixel structure becomes visible.
It's like looking through a screendoor.

post #340 of 1376 Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 PM

bRUZZI, THANKS AS ALWAYS....iM NOT MARRIED TO pANNY JUST SEEMS LIKE THAT WHAT THE RESEARCH & KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE HERE SEEM TOP SUGGEST, SEEMS LIKE PANNY & PIONEER....ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??
post #341 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Whats up everyone,

I am thinking about getting the Panny TH-42PWD8UK for my studio apt, which will go in a nook about 16' x 11' (with a big window on the right side of the tv.) I will be using it mostly to watch standard Comcast digital cable, a lot of which I'll record on DVR (I don't watch many sports). I'll probably watch digital cable and DVR 50% of the time, watch DVDs 30% and play Xbox 20% of the time. I found the tv for about $1800, I just have a few questions before I buy it and break the bank.

1) Does this tv have good PQ for both the standard channels I'll be watching (NBC, TBS, HBO, etc) and for DVDs? I just got out of college and this will basically be the first tv I've ever owned, so I'm obviously not extremely picky.

2) Does the tv have a decent stretch mode or am I basically gonna have to watch tv with the grey bars (which means IMO that I'm basically gonna be watching a much smaller tv than 42")?

2) If I get the new Xbox 360 in November, am I gonna really regret not getting an HD that can support the 1080i? I'm not a very avid gamer either, I play Xbox occassionally so again I'm not extremely picky but would like to pay for whats worht it.

3) If the answer to the above is that HD is absolutely the way to go, how much more am I looking to spend for an HD tv similar to the TH-42PWD8UK (about $1000 or so more?)?

Thanks guys.
post #342 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 09:48 AM

Forgot to add that I'll usually be watching from about 10' or so away, and will be closer when I'm playing Xbox.
post #343 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 12:20 PM

Hi. I've had my 50PHD7UY for about 1 week and I want to access the service menu so I can see how much time I have logged on the display unit. I tried using the procedures outlined in Bruzzi's website for the US model but it does not seem to work on my unit. I would assume the US and Canadian models are pretty much the same. Any input would be appreciated and I apologized if this has already been addressed somewhere.

Ken
post #344 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM

I think I'm missing something...what exactly is the point of these wide plasmas if my digital cable channels wont fill the screen without stretching the picture and they still display black bars on the top and bottom when playing Anamorphic Widescreen DVD's. What can you watch on them that fills the entire screen (without distortion)?
post #345 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyun7128 View Post

Hi. I've had my 50PHD7UY for about 1 week and I want to access the service menu so I can see how much time I have logged on the display unit. I tried using the procedures outlined in Bruzzi's website for the US model but it does not seem to work on my unit. I would assume the US and Canadian models are pretty much the same. Any input would be appreciated and I apologized if this has already been addressed somewhere.

Ken

When I first tried this, I made the mistake of pressing the -volume on the remote, not on the panel. It has to be the panel -vol button for this to work.

Mike
post #346 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action391 View Post

I think I'm missing something...what exactly is the point of these wide plasmas if my digital cable channels wont fill the screen without stretching the picture and they still display black bars on the top and bottom when playing Anamorphic Widescreen DVD's. What can you watch on them that fills the entire screen (without distortion)?

Actually Anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1) DOES fill the screen, as does HDTV. Non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs (2.35:1) will have black bars on top and bottom. But you will get a much bigger picture on a widescreen than on a 4:3 set.

Mike
post #347 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS_inLA View Post

When I first tried this, I made the mistake of pressing the -volume on the remote, not on the panel. It has to be the panel -vol button for this to work.

Thanks MikeS_inLA, I made exactly this mistake. It's easy to overlook this point and Bruzzi pointed this out too. I'll be doing it correctly tonight.
post #348 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most DVD players have a zoom feature that you can use to eliminate the black bars on 2.35:1 DVD's. There will not be any distortion in the picture, but zoom will degrade the PQ somewhat.

What can you watch that will fill the screen? 1.85:1 DVD's will fill the screen, so will HD brodcasts which are 1.78:1.
post #349 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez View Post

Most DVD players have a zoom feature that you can use to eliminate the black bars on 2.35:1 DVD's. There will not be any distortion in the picture, but zoom will degrade the PQ somewhat.

What can you watch that will fill the screen? 1.85:1 DVD's will fill the screen, so will HD brodcasts which are 1.78:1.

Cool, thanks guys. Is there a forum for whether or not DVD producers are moving towards supporting and releasing anamorphic DVDs in the next few years? For those interested:

General discussion and links on anamorphic widescreeens: http://www.thecinemalaser.com/anamor...pport-page.htm

List of current anamorphic DVD titles:
http://www.dvdreview.com/movies/html...phic_list.html
post #350 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM

Soo many questions

What are the differences between the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY and the TH-42PWD8UK? The only difference I've found so far is that the new one offers PIP (I think?) Is there a potential for new problems with the 8UK?

Also, is getting the TH-37PWD8UK basically a trade-off of better picture for smaller size?

Thanks again
post #351 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool, thanks guys. Is there a forum for whether or not DVD producers are moving towards supporting and releasing anamorphic DVDs in the next few years? For those interested:

General discussion and links on anamorphic widescreeens: http://www.thecinemalaser.com/anamor...pport-page.htm

List of current anamorphic DVD titles:
http://www.dvdreview.com/movies/html...phic_list.html

2.35:1 AR DVD's are in fact anamorphic enhanced for 16x9 televisions. They are letterboxed to make them 2.35. Hence the black bars. If you find a non-anamorphic 2.35:1 Movie. What you will actually see is a 4:3 picture with some pretty big black bars on the top and bottom.

Non anamorphic widescreen DVD's are actually letterboxed 4:3. These are pretty much becoming a thing of the past now that most DVD players can format anamorphic DVD's to play on 4:3 televisions in OAR.

Right now, you can either get anamorphic widescreen DVD's or Full screen DVD's with no letterboxing, even some movies in fullscreen format have particular scenes that are letterboxed because it is just not possible to chop off the sides for the duration of the movie. Some scenes will switch to letterboxing and and then back again.
post #352 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS_inLA View Post

I successfully got into the Service Menu. I thought the Hour Meter was in there but I could not find it. Is it located somewhere else or is it hidden somewhere in the Service Menu? Thanks for any help.

Ken
post #353 of 1376 Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyun7128 View Post

I successfully got into the Service Menu. I thought the Hour Meter was in there but I could not find it. Is it located somewhere else or is it hidden somewhere in the Service Menu? Thanks for any help.

Ken

Have you checked this thread???

http://www.glaucobruzzi.com/plasma-f...33&postcount=2

post #354 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 AM

I've heard that you get more with the 50U in terms of inputs for about the same price, and will just end up paying more for input cards on the 8UK in the end. Any thoughts?
post #355 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Thank Bruzzi...you're the best. As a newbie, it's impossible to figure out what all those abreviations mean.
post #356 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM

I guess this is more of a general newbie question...what is the preferred aspect ratio (or what are most people using) when you are watching standard 4:3 programming? I had my 50PHD7UY set to JUST when I was breaking it in but now I am over my first 100 hours. What aspect ratio (standard, zoom, full, just or auto) are you using when watching regular TV broadcasts?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
post #357 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've heard that you get more with the 50U in terms of inputs for about the same price, and will just end up paying more for input cards on the 8UK in the end. Any thoughts?

Right now you can get the 50U for almost the same price as the 8UK. For the same price, you do get HDMI, and more component and s-vid connections, plus tuner and stand. To add HDMI and stand to 8UK is an extra $300. 8UK has some features that are desirable to some like PIP and calibration features. Plus, some can't get past the silver on the 50U. To them that might be worth paying the extra in itself.
post #358 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez View Post

Right now you can get the 50U for almost the same price as the 8UK. For the same price, you do get HDMI, and more component and s-vid connections, plus tuner and stand. To add HDMI and stand to 8UK is an extra $300. 8UK has some features that are desirable to some like PIP and calibration features. Plus, some can't get past the silver on the 50U. To them that might be worth paying the extra in itself.

Thanks, renlopez. Another newbie question: what exactly does HDMI do? It will give me crisper audio and video (and reduce the number of cables I'll use) when I'm watching Comcast SD? HD? DVDs? Playing Xbox? (In other words this is something I'll most likely want?) Thanks again.
post #359 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

HDMI is the an all digital connection that also transferers audio as well as video signals. So if you use the speakers built into the TV, then you will reduce the number cables you have. Arguable HDMI has the best quality picuture. I would make sure I have HDMI. I believe it is going to be the standard for a while.
post #360 of 1376 Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
Greetings Everyone,

I have been following this forum and thread closely for about 6 months now. I thought I would finally jump in with just a couple of questions now. Most have already been answered in my research here. A very sincere thanks to all that have contributed.

The long awaited PDP purchase is now imminent. I have settled on a the Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK (or 37). Almost went for the 7UY, but glad that the 8UK has been released.

1) Can someone recommend a Canadian online source to purchase from? It seems TigerDirect.ca no longer carries the Panasonic Plasma Displays. I read here that someone ordered through Dell... I am curious if Dell resells or rebrands Panasonic? or is the Dell W4200ED manufactured by someone else?

2) Is there a very noticeable difference in viewable area or PQ between the 37 and 42? I am curious if the 37 has a smaller pixel size than the 42 and thus a slightly better PQ?

3) What is the exact measurement of width for the 42? (from someone with a tape measure) The specs say 40.2 ", I know from past experiences not to trust spec sheets implicitly.....The unit will be flush mounted in an existing enclosure - currently 39 inches wide. The 37 will fit nicely with ample room on each side. The 42 will need some 'shoehorning'.... a bit of drywall removal around the perimeter or I might have to set back the 2 x 4 studs on each side (or trim as required). My gut tells me that 42 is so much more viewable area, that I would regret anything smaller. A 37 would be an easier install, but I want to maximize the viewing area.

4) Does anyone use the wireless blade? Feedback?

I think that covers it....

Thanks in advance!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page