I've been on and off the forums for several months just reading posts and keeping tabs on the PDP sets as a whole. Thanks to everyone for the tips/tricks/etc.
I'm finally ready to plop down some cash and get a new Panny (my first PDP, upgrading from a Benq6100 w/ 100" DIY Screen) as I think they have the best PQ from what I've seen in stores (granted thats an imperfect world but I went to 7-8 different stores and compared notes from each display at each one). I'm looking for feedback from the group on what they think between the TH50PHD7UY, TH-50PX50U, and the TH-50PX500U. I've pretty much settled on the TH50PHD7UY for the following:
- can change out the interface modules (HDMI, VGA onboard, Component, etc)
- Don't need the tuner on the TH-50PX50U or TH-42PX500U for cable
- Don't need the speakers
- It's all black vs having some silver in there
- All TV and DVD will come from the HTPC so only need 1 HDMI interface
- Xbox/Gamecube can come in via SVid or Component so no contention there
- Seating distance is around 9-10 feet so the 50" should be fine (although I'll miss the size of the 100" screen (wont miss only being able to watch TV at night though... the room is very bright during the day).
I'm wondering what you get besides Picture in Picture + cable card on the 500U? Does it really improve anything in the electronics? The glass is all 8th gen on all 3 units based on the Panny website so I can't think there would be much difference between the 50U and the 500U (saw them together at 1 HiFi store and didnt notice any diff on SD or HD content).
Next question is do I go with the series "8" industrial models or just get the "7" series. My budget cap is about $4000 (although if I went slightly over that would be ok ... already trying to rationalize it... sigh) and right now all 3 sets are in the $3600 range at a few places.
Quick edit: Just found a great price, few hundred $$$ cheaper than the "7" models, for the TH-50PHD8UK. Any reason not go with that one?
Any and all feedback is appreciated ...