FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1376 Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Have you actually downloaded any of these and tried them? I'm willing to bet that if you download, say, the TH-50PHW5 file, it'll work out of the box for 90% of your functions, and probably 99% of the ones you really need.

For the few that aren't there, just train a new button.

My friend who turned me on to Pannys went from his 42" consumer to the new 50" commerical and hasn't changed a thing on his HT-700. Within a general product family, these codes tend to stay pretty unchanged.

Try it and post your results back.

My friend who installed the TV and does HT installs, tried a few of them and has had no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1376 Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
I have had my two TH-42PWD7UY's for about six months and just got into this thread a couple of weeks ago. After reading through the bruzzi's link from Housecor on overscan adjustment I thought I would give it a try. Anyone who does not do this to there plasma is missing out big time. I do not know if it is just me but I feel my HD looks at least 50% better. Truly amazing. am currently looking through other posts on color tweaks.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
post #543 of 1376 Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Hi everyone - first thanks for the thread...I recently purchased the TH37PX50U and am in the middle of my burn-in period. The posts on this site helped my research greatly and I'm confident in my purchase. I'm anxiously awaiting this weekend when my 100 hours will be up and I can slightly raise the brightness to a more liveable level.

One question I have actually relates more to my Motorola 6412 HD box - I had to switch to this from TIVO so I'm getting used to a new remote. The best thing the TIVO remote did was have a way to set it up so that the volume button controlled your AV receiver. With this MOTO remote, you actually have to press "AUX" to control the receiver, and then "CABLE" again to go back to the box...so it is incredibly annoying and takes to many steps to simply adjust the volume, which is something we continually do through a broadcast.

Any suggestions? Has anyone seen any posts before on this topic? I realize it is menial, but from a practical use standpoint it is kind of a big deal.

Lastly - any suggestions on how much I can raise the brightness after I get through 100 hours? I know I still need to keep them lower if possible for the first 1000 hours...

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer."
post #544 of 1376 Old 10-26-2005, 01:51 PM

texasred - check your PM
post #545 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 01:40 PM

First off, many thanks for all of the insight I have received for these threads.
I just got my first plasma last week. I went for the new Panny ED 42" after looking at all the others just because of the richness in the picture.

My question is , I want to make to most of the internal HDTV tuner, but I'm not sure where to start and what to do next. I am under the impression that I might be able to get free HD signals but really I don't know how.

The manual is very unclear in this respect. Any experiences or tips with this model and HD reception would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone

cheers
Jeremy
post #546 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by essencedesign View Post

...I just got my first plasma last week. I went for the new Panny ED 42" after looking at all the others just because of the richness in the picture.

My question is , I want to make to most of the internal HDTV tuner, but I'm not sure where to start and what to do next. I am under the impression that I might be able to get free HD signals but really I don't know how...

Congratulations. I'm sure you will be pleased with your purchase.

Using the internal tuner is not much different than using the one on your old TV, but maybe less predictable. If you have an outdoor antenna that gave you good analog reception, all you have to do is connect it to your plasma, run the scan sequence as described in the manual and you should be fine.

If you've been using an indoor antenna, it could be problematical. The first thing to do is try it as described above. If that doesn't work, you may have to get a better antenna.

If you don't have an antenna, and you live close enough to the transmitters, you can try an indoor one. Some are sold as being made for digital reception, but that is marketing hype. Just be sure you can return whatever you buy. It may take several tries to find one that works.

The surest solution is an outdoor antenna. Second best is an attic mount. The easiest is an indoor. Where you live determines what you'll need.

The biggest difference in reception between analog and digital signals is that a poor analog signal will be received even though it is full of snow and/or "ghosts." A digital signal is likely to either be clear or not come in at all. There can also be a borderline situation where a digital signal will come in erratically and be "pixelated," but it is more likely to be an yes or no proposition.

I'm using a 40 year old antenna that's been on my roof since I got my first color TV. Works great, even though reception on many analog stations has been terrible every since the Sears Tower went up.

If you have antenna problems, there is a section on this board that deals with OTA reception in various cities. Find the one that applies and tell them your reception conditions and they'll be able to offer specific advice.

Enjoy your new plasma.
post #547 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:

First off, many thanks for all of the insight I have received for these threads.
I just got my first plasma last week. I went for the new Panny ED 42" after looking at all the others just because of the richness in the picture.

My question is , I want to make to most of the internal HDTV tuner, but I'm not sure where to start and what to do next. I am under the impression that I might be able to get free HD signals but really I don't know how.

The manual is very unclear in this respect. Any experiences or tips with this model and HD reception would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone

cheers
Jeremy

In addition to over the air broadcasts from having an indoor or outdoor antenna you can also get HD broadcasting with basic cable without having to pay extra or get a cable box. I purchased the Panasonic 42" ED model (TH42PD50U) a couple of months ago and am able to get "free" HD broadcasts with my San Diego Time Warner basic cable package ($12.79/mo) just by taking the cable from the wall and plugging it directly into the TV or through my DVD recorder. Do a scan of channels and you should get the network (ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS) HD broadcasts just fine. For example, my FOX digital/HD channel is 6-1 and the analog channel is just 6.

Of course if you want Discovery HD theater or other premium HD channels you will have to pay extra.

Todd
post #548 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post

Bruzzi, Can you give me any help in finding the codes for my HT Master MX800 remote for my Panny 50PX500U ?

We're having trouble programming the remote.

Stock. I don't have that info yet.

Have you tried setting up the codes manually ???

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #549 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 08:18 PM

Strange , perhaps I am scanning wrong, because I am not receiveing or picking up any HD channels, and I know my local cable company (Shaw in Van. BC Canada) offers HD with a Set Top box upgrade. Jeeze they sell them here at FS for hundreds of $'s

All I did is unplug the cable from the back of my phillips and plug into the new set.
I suppose I will call the local cable co. in the morning and see what they have to say, although I figure that I am getting better advice from you all here

Thanks again for the help.
post #550 of 1376 Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Strange , perhaps I am scanning wrong, because I am not receiveing or picking up any HD channels, and I know my local cable company (Shaw in Van. BC Canada) offers HD with a Set Top box upgrade. Jeeze they sell them here at FS for hundreds of $'s

All I did is unplug the cable from the back of my phillips and plug into the new set.
I suppose I will call the local cable co. in the morning and see what they have to say, although I figure that I am getting better advice from you all here

Thanks again for the help.

You are correct in that you should be able to just plug the cable directly into the TV because the QAM tuner is built in, and the scanning is very straightforward and probably not the problem; just choose the Auto function under the Program Channel menu. Strangely enough with my unit when the analog channels are being scanned I see the channels in the small window rapidly flipping by, but with the digital channels I don't see that, however they are there during regular use when the scan is done.

Also, are you maybe getting the digital channels but they weren't broadcasting an HD program when you happened to change to that channel? In this case there would be two channels with the same broadcast. If you see the two channels you can tell the difference between the analog and HD channel by pressing the Recall button on your remote and if it says 480I it is analog, if it says 720P or 1080I it is digital even though the program is not HD.

If you call the cable company ask if the network HD stations are broadcast unscrambled. I think this is where your problem probably is. I am now stretching a bit but I believe that in the US the network station HD channels are required to be broadcast unscrambled but the cable companies won't readily admit to that. I don't know if that is the case in Canada. In fact on the local San Diego HDTV forum more than one person called Time Warner here asking about this and multiple customer reps had no idea that those stations were even being broadcast unscrambled so don't be discouraged if the first person on the phone doesn't know what you are talking about!

Good luck!

Todd
post #551 of 1376 Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 PM

In Canada, don't the HD channels have to be broadcast over the air locally, before the local cableco puts them on their system in unscrambled form?

--Ernie
post #552 of 1376 Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to set my overscan on my new TH-42PM50u,the service menu isnt very helpful, seems as the newer they make the less settings we can adjust.
Compared to my old PA25 there isnt many settings at all.
Bruzzi's FAQ doesnt have much that i can find about the newer panny's, only how to access the service menu, nothing on what and how to adjust
post #553 of 1376 Old 11-01-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

I need to set my overscan on my new TH-42PM50u,the service menu isnt very helpful, seems as the newer they make the less settings we can adjust.
Compared to my old PA25 there isnt many settings at all.
Bruzzi's FAQ doesnt have much that i can find about the newer panny's, only how to access the service menu, nothing on what and how to adjust

Hey Bruzzi! I also got your info on how to access the service menu for my TH-50TX500u, but what goes on next??? Can you tell us what and how to use it??
post #554 of 1376 Old 11-03-2005, 12:42 AM

I have my Panny S97S connected to my 50PHD7UY via HDMI cable. My HDMI blade is in Slot 1. I was just looking at the Picture Settings tonight and noticed that my 7UY allows me to adjust the TINT setting. I thought that was not possible with a digital connection.

Stranger still is that slot 2 is the S-video blade. When I check the Picture Settings, it will not allow me to change the TINT setting. I should be able to adjust the TINT because this is an analog connection.

I'm very confused. Have I overlooked something? Thanks.

Ken
post #555 of 1376 Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deharry View Post

Hey Bruzzi! I also got your info on how to access the service menu for my TH-50TX500u, but what goes on next??? Can you tell us what and how to use it??

I'm still looking for that info.

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #556 of 1376 Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyun7128 View Post

I have my Panny S97S connected to my 50PHD7UY via HDMI cable. My HDMI blade is in Slot 1. I was just looking at the Picture Settings tonight and noticed that my 7UY allows me to adjust the TINT setting. I thought that was not possible with a digital connection.

"Color" and "Tint" cannot be adjusted with RGB (signals) or DVI. You should be able to do it with the HDMI Board.

Quote:

Stranger still is that slot 2 is the S-video blade. When I check the Picture Settings, it will not allow me to change the TINT setting. I should be able to adjust the TINT because this is an analog connection.

I'm very confused. Have I overlooked something? Thanks.

Ken

What source ???

As per Manual (Never tried myself... I've always used composite) The TINT setting can be only adjusted for NTSC signals when using S-VIDEO.

post #557 of 1376 Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

"Color" and "Tint" cannot be adjusted with RGB (signals) or DVI. You should be able to do it with the HDMI Board.

What source ???

As per Manual (Never tried myself... I've always used composite) The TINT setting can be only adjusted for NTSC signals when using S-VIDEO.

That's bizzare since HDMI is essentially the same as DVI (minus the audio). The user manual did not mention that HDMI could be adjust but now that I think about it, the HDMI blade is not included in the standard package so I guess they had no reason to mention it. Any advice on adjusting TINT?

I had both S Video and composite video connected to my slot 2. When I unplugged the composite video, the TINT control was active again. Now that makes sense.

Thanks for all your input BruZZi...I thought I was losing it...or something was wrong with my display.

Ken
post #558 of 1376 Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

I'm still looking for that info.

The reason I asked about the service menu settings, I have a problem with my QAM tuner on my 50px500u, it will not pick up channels on 93 and 94, scanning returns "NO" in the lineup. That is where the major network channels lie, Fox, PBS, NBC and ABC. If I enter manually 92 and 93, it will decode only 92-1 and 93-1. I miss NBC and Fox on 93-3, 93-4 and 92-2. Is there an adjustment within the service menu, where maybe the QAM tuner can get on the ball on this?

Also, the digital non HD channels I receive are 4:3 and cannot be "zoomed" or set to adjust" I will settle for $:3, but how can I make the black side bars gray? I can do this for analog within the menu, but for digital, the menu is grayed out and not adjustable. Thanks.
post #559 of 1376 Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The commercial panels have the ability to do 14-bit processing via HDMI/DVI connection, giving those sets double the grayscale steps to 4096 and billions more colors in the pallette. The advantage as I understand it is the reduction of banding, or false contouring, that results in artifacts such as "clayface" and the artifacts that appear in the fog scenes in Captain & Commander. Do the PX50 and the PX500 have this same capability????
post #560 of 1376 Old 11-09-2005, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looking for anyone that has tried to connect the DVI video output of a Mac Mini to a TH37PD25U (or I imagine the TH42PD25U would be the same)... wondering if it works or not, and/or if one of the resolution switching tools is needed.

Thanks,
Mike
post #561 of 1376 Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Hi, I'm a newb here.

I just got a Panny 42 8UK. I just received my hdmi blade and plugged it into slot 1 (the one that comes covered when you purchase). How do I know if the blade works?

All I did was unscrew the expansion slot cover, plug in the blade snuggly, and then screwed the blade in securely.

Then I plugged in an hdmi dvd player and turned on the TV.

When I toggle through the different inputs, the TV doesn't show any additional inputs available. Is the plasma supposed to recognize the hdmi blade by itself (plug/play)?

Is the blade defective? Or the slot defective?
post #562 of 1376 Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 AM

I just received my 8UK yesterday as well and also purchased the HDMI terminal board. Mine went into slot 1 which corresponds to input 1. If you also have an HDMI output on your DVD player (which I presume you have) then you must instruct the DVD player to use the HDMI output. On my Denon 2910 I just needed to select the HDMI button on the remote control.

IMO the HDMI did produce a better picture than the component. I also set the DVD player to output at 720p and 1080i. Picture looked fine, but the panny cannot zoom the picture to fill the whole screen on 720p and 1080i mode (it can on 480p mode). I like to see the whole screen being used, so I'm going to scan these forums to see if there is something I can do.

Still tweaking the TV. So many settings... :-)
post #563 of 1376 Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha79 View Post

Then I plugged in an hdmi dvd player and turned on the TV.

When I toggle through the different inputs, the TV doesn't show any additional inputs available. Is the plasma supposed to recognize the hdmi blade by itself (plug/play)?

If the 8Uk is like the 7UY as far as input switching... and I have to assume that it is. The blade must sense an "active" signal on the input, or the input toggle will just bypass the input.

Buddha79.. in your case, the DVD player needs to be turned on, and the output set to HDMI on the DVD player, before swithching to Input 1 on the monitor.
post #564 of 1376 Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 PM

I'm about ready to purchase a Pan. 50" and I have a few questions:

1) Is the 8UK worth the extra $ over the 7UY?

2) I'll need a stand for it, which model and Ebay or Reseller?

3) I'll need a DVI card for it to hook up my OPPO and, again, Ebay or Reseller?

4) Perhaps the biggest ? of all, where should I buy it online?

Thanks,

Steve
post #565 of 1376 Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 PM

I answered my own first question with this little comparison tidbit:

TH-42PHD8UK vs. TH-42PHD7UY

The new (8UK) series replaces the (7UY) series in the late summer/fall of 2005. Little has changed between these products and technical specifications remain unchanged.

For the (8UK) series display Panasonic replaces the Super Real Gamma System with the Advanced Real Gamma System, which they claim improves brightness levels. The buzzword change was the only definitive difference we could read in the panel specifications between the new and previous generation TVs. Contrast ratio, resolution, and panel-life remain the same. The number of displayable colors and grayscale shade count remain the same as well.

Major changes in the (8UK) series were made to the remote control. The 21-button remote control used in the older (7UY) and (6UY) series TVs was replaced with a 45-button remote control. The refreshed design includes discrete on and off buttons located at opposite corners at the top of the remote, replacing a single on/off button. The new remote also has separate buttons for each input, eliminating the need to repeatedly press a single input button to switch inputs as required with the older remote. A numeric keypad, absent on the old remote, makes its debut with the 8UK series and greatly eases the task of changing channels with the optional TV tuner.

Control buttons were removed from the panel making operation possible exclusively with the remote control.

The bezel on the 8UK series is now beveled along the outside, eliminating the sharp edge found on the TH-42PHD7UY series.

Power consumption dropped modestly to 275 watts from 290 watts.
post #566 of 1376 Old 11-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramidge View Post

Just moved from Phoenix (and my 50in 7th gen panny plasma) to New Mexico. Was ready to buy an 8th gen panny until guy installing my dish said he had seen some problems with plasmas installed at 6500 feet in altitude and above. I'm at 6231 feet here. Anybody familiar with how this display works at higher altitudes? Cripes, do I have to go to LCD?

I'm at 6731 and my 8UK has been flawless.
post #567 of 1376 Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 PM

i'm thinking of getting the 42px50u, and i was wondering how far apart the pedestals are on the stand... i'll temporarily be putting it on a tv stand until i get the wall mount.

anyone had any luck with the elcheapo ones on ebay? or are they not sturdy enough.

edit: elchepo wall mounts, that is.

post #568 of 1376 Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Has Panasonic been pretty consistent with timing of releases of next generation panels, e.g., every 6 months? Annually? (7th gen was out in ~Aug '05, 8th Gen likely summer 2006...?)
post #569 of 1376 Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post

I'm about ready to purchase a Pan. 50" and I have a few questions:

1) Is the 8UK worth the extra $ over the 7UY?

2) I'll need a stand for it, which model and Ebay or Reseller?

3) I'll need a DVI card for it to hook up my OPPO and, again, Ebay or Reseller?

4) Perhaps the biggest ? of all, where should I buy it online?

Thanks,

Steve

did you get it yet?
post #570 of 1376 Old 11-15-2005, 11:33 AM

No, but it's on the way. I ordered an 8UK from DTV City because they were the only ones that had it in stock. TVA and VA both had waiting lists. I found that the least expensive price for a TY-ST08K stand was at Nerds.net and the least expensive TY-42TM6D DVI-D card was at Buy.com. Both were cheaper than TVA, VA, DTV and Ebay.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page