FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1376 Old 01-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the 50phd7uy with the HDMI Razor will benefit from a 10 bit HDMI color capable dvd player.

I am looking at the pioneer 79avi and it lists 10 bit as a big selling point over previous model.

Don't want to overspend on features I can't use.

Please help.

BG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1376 Old 01-18-2006, 06:34 PM

50PM50U

First off the picture is incredible!!! I had the Sony 50A10 LCD projection and there is absolutely no comparison. Needless to say I'm very happy with the Panasonic and want to keep it. The problem I'm facing is the Panasonic website and the Costco website made it seem that the plasma and stand were 32" high, perfect for my built in. Well apparently I messed up and with the stand it is 34.5", which would still fit but by a hair. I can't get it in because I have molding in front of the built-in and can't shimmy it in.

Now to my question, does anyone know if there are alternate stands out there that may be shorter? The Panasonic website only has wall mounting brackets which wouldn't work either because the whole is 25+ inches deep to fit my old 36" XBR. If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.
post #723 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Im sure im missing something but ive read the forums and cant figure out what im doing wrong:

i have the TH-42PWD8UK connected with an s-cable to a directv hd-dvr - my question is why no directv programming seems to fill the screen - shoudnt wide-screen hdtv broadcasts do that? Also i noticed that if i try and select any resolution except the lowest on the directv hd dvr i get a blank screen!?!! Im so confused - is the s-cable the problem?

Thanks!!!
post #724 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 04:40 AM

You will not be able to pass an HD signal over S-video...

The PW should have a component cable input on the back... Use this.

Get a descent quality cable and give it another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona View Post

Im sure im missing something but ive read the forums and cant figure out what im doing wrong:

i have the TH-42PWD8UK connected with an s-cable to a directv hd-dvr - my question is why no directv programming seems to fill the screen - shoudnt wide-screen hdtv broadcasts do that? Also i noticed that if i try and select any resolution except the lowest on the directv hd dvr i get a blank screen!?!! Im so confused - is the s-cable the problem?

Thanks!!!

post #725 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini View Post

Why shouldn't I use the Vivid mode? I'm not necessarily dying to or anything, but would like to know why I shouldn't. Still learning here!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=vivid

Oh, and make sure you stretch regular cable (non-hdtv channels) so that the picture fills the screen. Use the "just" setting for that.
post #726 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego44 View Post

50PM50U

First off the picture is incredible!!! I had the Sony 50A10 LCD projection and there is absolutely no comparison. Needless to say I'm very happy with the Panasonic and want to keep it. The problem I'm facing is the Panasonic website and the Costco website made it seem that the plasma and stand were 32" high, perfect for my built in. Well apparently I messed up and with the stand it is 34.5", which would still fit but by a hair. I can't get it in because I have molding in front of the built-in and can't shimmy it in.

Now to my question, does anyone know if there are alternate stands out there that may be shorter? The Panasonic website only has wall mounting brackets which wouldn't work either because the whole is 25+ inches deep to fit my old 36" XBR. If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.

If you are handy, you can try to build a false wall inside the buit-in and attach the wall mount to the false wall. If your built-in is white, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it is wood, then it might be tough to match the false wall.

I'm planning to do the same in my built-in.
post #727 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the help - so the component cable will let the HD Tivo send the higher resolutions?
post #728 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help - so the component cable will let the HD Tivo send the higher resolutions?

Yes, absolutely, 720p and 1080i on the component output of the H10-250 are functional.

Business Manager
Pole Dancers Union, Local #47
post #729 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini View Post

Why shouldn't I use the Vivid mode? I'm not necessarily dying to or anything, but would like to know why I shouldn't. Still learning here!!!

Vivid mode causes "Color Push" among other things and uses an sub-optimal gamma pre-setting which degrades overall picture and color quality.

Cinema mode is the best with the other settings at zero or less.

Business Manager
post #730 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Is there anywhere in this very long thread that I can find suggestions on calibration settings?
post #731 of 1376 Old 01-19-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego44 View Post

Is there anywhere in this very long thread that I can find suggestions on calibration settings?

The first message in the thread!

http://www.GlaucoBruzzi.com/plasma-faq/index.php?

Business Manager
post #732 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 AM

I just recieved my dvi card (TY-42TM6D) and an HDMI to DVI-D cable for use with my 508UK. I plugged in the DVI card and connected the HDMI out on the 6412 to to DVI in on the back of the panel. However, when I attempt to switch to input #1 (the new DVI card), the panel does not change to that input.

Do I need to configure something on the panel for it to recognize a new input or should it recognize it automatically? Anyone have any issues with this configuration?

I have had no problems using my component input. I think the panel automatically recognized it.
post #733 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_bryan View Post

I just recieved my dvi card (TY-42TM6D) and an HDMI to DVI-D cable for use with my 508UK. I plugged in the DVI card and connected the HDMI out on the 6412 to to DVI in on the back of the panel. However, when I attempt to switch to input #1 (the new DVI card), the panel does not change to that input.

Do I need to configure something on the panel for it to recognize a new input or should it recognize it automatically? Anyone have any issues with this configuration?

I have had no problems using my component input. I think the panel automatically recognized it.

It should automatically recognize the new input. However, you may have set the Input Lock on in the Hidden Menu, thus not allowing you to change to that input.

Go into the Hidden Menu and turn Input Lock off.
post #734 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi Shiba View Post

It should automatically recognize the new input. However, you may have set the Input Lock on in the Hidden Menu, thus not allowing you to change to that input.

Go into the Hidden Menu and turn Input Lock off.

Thanks Wasabi, I'll give this a try. How do I access the Hidden Menu? Is this the same as the Service Menu?
post #735 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Hi J_Bryan

That is an invalid, and therefore non-operable, configuration. You cannot connect a HDMI source device to a DVI input. It just won't work.

However, you can connect a DVI source device to a HDMI input.

Also, went you add a card to the display you must unplug the AC power source so the display will learn the new card when it reboots.

Business Manager
post #736 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks Wasabi, I'll give this a try. How do I access the Hidden Menu? Is this the same as the Service Menu?

The Hidden Menu is part of the Setup Menu, and is different from the Service Menu.

1) Press Setup on the remote
2) Toggle down and Go to Language Selection
3) Press the Surroung Button on the remote for about 5 seconds until the Hidden Menu appears
4) Cycle through the fields until you go to Input Lock and toggle to OFF.
post #737 of 1376 Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt-rtp View Post

Hi J_Bryan

That is an invalid, and therefore non-operable, configuration. You cannot connect a HDMI source device to a DVI input. It just won't work.

Also, went you add a card to the display you must unplug the AC power source so the display will learn the new card when it reboots.

Hmm. I did not realize that DVI to HMDI only works in one direction. While searching for DVI to HDMI cables, I saw some sites that mentioned their cables would work in either direction. Thanks for the clarification.

So now I need an HDMI card and corresponding cable. Either that or get an older 6412 with DVI out..
post #738 of 1376 Old 01-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi J_Bryan

??????

I must be missing something here. I apologize if that is the case. But I have an H20 that has an HDMI output and I have a Panny PHD6UY with a DVI card. Obviously I have an HDMI to DVI convertor cable. The video is spectacular, and has been that way for 2 years. I use the optical out of the H20 to feed audio to my AV amp. J_Bryan, I think your problem is not with HDMI out to DVI in unless the Panny plasmas changed dramatically between the 5th generation and the 7th generation.

bill
post #739 of 1376 Old 01-21-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt1111 View Post

??????

I must be missing something here. I apologize if that is the case. But I have an H20 that has an HDMI output and I have a Panny PHD6UY with a DVI card. Obviously I have an HDMI to DVI convertor cable. The video is spectacular, and has been that way for 2 years. I use the optical out of the H20 to feed audio to my AV amp. J_Bryan, I think your problem is not with HDMI out to DVI in unless the Panny plasmas changed dramatically between the 5th generation and the 7th generation.

billt1111 you are correct. I was able to get this configuration to work. With the power off, I unplugged the panel and then plugged it back in. The panel then recognized the DVI card. HD image over DVI is very good.
post #740 of 1376 Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:

billt1111 you are correct. I was able to get this configuration to work. With the power off, I unplugged the panel and then plugged it back in. The panel then recognized the DVI card. HD image over DVI is very good.

The early versions of HDMI interfaces did not implement HDCP, however the new versions of HDMI interfaces do have HDCP implemented. This means that the protocol will not operate on a HDMI to DVI link which prevents the content from being copied. See below.

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High Definition Content Protocol and is a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of capturing content sent digitally from the source to the display. The format designed by Intel with help of Silicon Image that distributes the chips to enable the scheme, HDCP enables a secure connection between devices such as DVD players and HDTV set-top-boxes using an authentication and key exchange procedure before video and audio is presented.

Why is it important to me?

It currently may not be. It will not affect your ability to display HDTV if the source connection is Component or RGB (VGA). HDCP is designed to protect digital signals used in DVI and HDMI. Most earlier model HDTV sets do not use DVI or HDMI but with the quick implementation of HDCP compliant sets, any new purchases of plasma, projectors, and even rear projection HDTV should be compliant with this copy protection standard if the set offers DVI/HDMI.

It is important to note that HDCP is currently not a standard used in PC monitors, and almost none of these displays have Component inputs. This fact alone will deter HDTV/DVD to be displayed on a typical LCD/CRT monitor. A clear line has been defined between consumer entertainment vs. PC/Commercial product.

How does it work?

A simple answer is that an HDCP session will result in the exchange of keys between the source and display device. The source device will query the display to make sure that the equipment is HDCP compliant before video is shown. Non-HDCP devices such as PC's and older model DVI products will work with any DVI compliant display, but the HDCP compliant boxes will show an image only on HDCP compliant display.

Nearly all consumer video equipment with DVI/HDMI connectors are HDCP compliant including DVD players available on the market today. You can continue to use the component output of these devices without worry of HDCP, but expect the analog connections to slowly disappear from future products.

Other products affected by HDCP are scalers and switchers. While these devices do no authentication for key exchange, they must be able to transmit the presence of HDCP and most often require the proper on-board components to send the information on to the display. It is important to note that many manufacturers are producing products on the infancy of he format, and proper implementation often takes many tries. This is an inconvenience to the consumer in that like computers, many of their new video devices will require "upgrades", often in the form of firmware to fix or correct improper operation, which can be done via transmission (i.e. cable and satellite) or by a disk upgrade (DVD players).

Business Manager
post #741 of 1376 Old 01-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Is there a reason to use a component blade over a component switcher? I realize the cost of the latter is more but it seems like an easier way to go? Any thoughts?

ps - I'm looking at the Audio Authority 1154A as a switcher
post #742 of 1376 Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Is there a reason to use a component blade over a component switcher? I realize the cost of the latter is more but it seems like an easier way to go? Any thoughts?

ps - I'm looking at the Audio Authority 1154A as a switcher

The reason is purely limited to ease of use, less complexity and the wife factor, if you happen to have one of them with your home theater.

It's cool to have a graphical user interface (GUI) to control your amplifier, surround sound and FM receiver. My Yamaha 2500 has that and I dig it because there is a bunch of fine tuning extras that you can dial in "in real time" to tweak your system.

Business Manager
post #743 of 1376 Old 01-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:

The early versions of HDMI interfaces did not implement HDCP, however the new versions of HDMI interfaces do have HDCP implemented. This means that the protocol will not operate on a HDMI to DVI link which prevents the content from being copied. See below.

It's kind of confusing. First you said HDMI to DVI will not work and now this. What is the correct information?

It's the output unit that senses for the HDCP on the monitor and not the other way around. That's why you can use the none HDCP DVI output from a computer to a HDTV with DVI.

HDMI and DVI wiring are almost the same with HDMI carrying the extra audio signal and different plug configuration.
post #744 of 1376 Old 01-23-2006, 05:18 PM

I have 50PX50U w/ SA 8300 HD Box via Time Warner Cable - Can anyone help me diagnose why I sometimes get a white/black broken line on 1/64th inch or less of the very top of my display. This line will go away as commercials change and scenes change. It is irritating and I would be so grateful if someone could explain how to correct this.
post #745 of 1376 Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratclib View Post

I have 50PX50U w/ SA 8300 HD Box via Time Warner Cable - Can anyone help me diagnose why I sometimes get a white/black broken line on 1/64th inch or less of the very top of my display. This line will go away as commercials change and scenes change. It is irritating and I would be so grateful if someone could explain how to correct this.

Not enough overscan?

But I do not know how to adjust it on consumer model.

post #746 of 1376 Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 PM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any display/color settings for my Panny 42PX50U? I will be connected via HDMI from my Adelphia HD Box.

Thanks,
post #747 of 1376 Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Not enough overscan?

But I do not know how to adjust it on consumer model.

It may be the STB itself, but am unsure if the SA8300 has an adjustment. I have a moto 6412 that allows you to shift the picture position in the set-up menu. If it is adjusted incorrectly (not centered), the display exhibits the same overscan problem.
post #748 of 1376 Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 AM

2006 Models Availability Date?

Bruzzi's web site says it's in the Spring - does anyone have a more specific timeframe?

Thanks,
Chris
post #749 of 1376 Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Ratclib, if STB can not be adjusted as xandypx suggested, there is explanation in Bruzzi's FAQ's how to adjust overscan on consumer models (link in the first post in this thread).

post #750 of 1376 Old 01-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Everybody says that with a plasma you have to turn the contrast ratio and brightness down...what does this mean to me relative to an lcd picture. If an lcd gets typically outperformed by a plasma in terms of black levels and contrast. By lowering the brightness level and the contrast, will the plasma's image still be more pleasing to the eye than an lcd that is properly calibrated???
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page