FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1376 Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Hi guys-

I must be missing something on this. I've always felt that a 4:3 picture stretched to fill a widescreen is unwatchable. Having heads and other objects stretched to unrealistic proportions drives me nuts.

Do people really watch TV this way?

Marc

I agree for the most part with Caesar1. The stretch mode he is referring to is called "Just" on my panny plasma, probably short for "justify". But there are two other stretch modes, including zoom. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. However my point is that the receiver/STB makes all the difference. On my old Samsung HD 360 receiver all SD in all stretch modes was very uninspiring. I found myself only watching HD shows and skipping anything in SD due to PQ. However, now the same exact pictures and stretch modes on my new H20 look acceptible/terrific. The colors are more vibrant and the picture is sharper and more defined. I am slowly coming back to SD stretch only because of my new H20 and its PQ for OTA and D* programming.

bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1376 Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by billt1111 View Post

I agree for the most part with Caesar1. The stretch mode he is referring to is called "Just" on my panny plasma, probably short for "justify". But there are two other stretch modes, including zoom. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. However my point is that the receiver/STB makes all the difference. On my old Samsung HD 360 receiver all SD in all stretch modes was very uninspiring. I found myself only watching HD shows and skipping anything in SD due to PQ. However, now the same exact pictures and stretch modes on my new H20 look acceptible/terrific. The colors are more vibrant and the picture is sharper and more defined. I am slowly coming back to SD stretch only because of my new H20 and its PQ for OTA and D* programming.

OK, I set my TH-50PX50u to "Just" mode and watched some traditional 4x3 material for a while. I don't think I'll ever actually like it, but setting it this way is probably less annoying than having to flip around modes all the time.

Now the big problem is programs that are broadcast in SD 4x3 but that incorporate top and bottom bars to create a pseudo-letterbox effect. Specifically I'm thinking about Battlestar Galactica. I have previously experimented with different modes just for this show, and haven't found a perfect mode. using ZOOM, a little bit of the top and bottom of the picture is cut off. The stretch modes made it look awful with extra-wide heads.

Any thoughts on this one? Zoom is supposed to be the answer for this, but perhaps the sizing of the letterboxing SciFi uses is nonstandard.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #813 of 1376 Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

OK, I set my TH-50PX50u to "Just" mode and watched some traditional 4x3 material for a while. I don't think I'll ever actually like it, but setting it this way is probably less annoying than having to flip around modes all the time.

Now the big problem is programs that are broadcast in SD 4x3 but that incorporate top and bottom bars to create a pseudo-letterbox effect. Specifically I'm thinking about Battlestar Galactica. I have previously experimented with different modes just for this show, and haven't found a perfect mode. using ZOOM, a little bit of the top and bottom of the picture is cut off. The stretch modes made it look awful with extra-wide heads.

Any thoughts on this one? Zoom is supposed to be the answer for this, but perhaps the sizing of the letterboxing SciFi uses is nonstandard.

Marc

On the 500u, the zoom mode can be adjusted in the menu. Top and bottom can be backed down from 15 to what fits the screen.
post #814 of 1376 Old 02-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Hi folks,

read parts of the FAQ and did a search, but haven't been lucky yet...

Are there any common pixel-perfect timings for the Panasonic PHD8 50inch 1366x768 using a HTPC with a Radeon card (Powerstrip etc)?

And is a pp timing also possible when using the HDMI input card? Or only with the D-15 RGB input.

Thanks a bunch, sorry if this has been covered 1000 times before.

Best regards
Bjoern

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Videophile.info (HD and DVD reviews, SPL measurements, my HT in action...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide
post #815 of 1376 Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum. I just finished building my own HTPC with an MSI 6600GT graphics card. This card has an component output.

The TH42-PW6EX has a native resolution of 853x480, according to the manual it can handle 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i.

When I connect the HTPC to the plasma, thru the component input on the tuner (AV4C), there is no image at all whatever the resolution the 6600GT sends (480p ou 720p or 576p). But my DVD player (a JVC XV NA77) gives an image (it outputs 576 pal progressive).

I did a lot of tweaking (timings, front and rear porches, # of pixels) to no avail

Could anyone help me out of trouble ?

Thanks a lot in advance

jacky
post #816 of 1376 Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannongolfer View Post

On the 500u, the zoom mode can be adjusted in the menu. Top and bottom can be backed down from 15 to what fits the screen.

That did it. The 50 also has this feature and I backed it down to about 11 or so. Fits great.

Thanks guys!

Marc

post #817 of 1376 Old 02-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hi folks-

I've been meaning to register my TH-50PX50u with Panasonic, but I don't have the serial number handy. I had the delivery guys remove the box and hang the TV before I thought about jotting down the serial number from either the box or the TV back sticker.

Is this information stored in the TV and available via any of the menus? I haven't found it in any searches.

NEW EDIT: I used a mirror to look around the back-bottom of the unit, but couldn't find the serial number anywhere. Could some kind sole let me know where the serial number tag is? Thanks

Marc

post #818 of 1376 Old 02-19-2006, 08:53 AM

Hi Marc

Check out Bruzzi's web site for the 411 and instructions on how to get into the service menu of your Panasonic at:

http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=142

The serial number should be available from the service menu.

Quote:

Hi folks-

I've been meaning to register my TH-50PX50u with Panasonic, but I don't have the serial number handy. I had the delivery guys remove the box and hang the TV before I thought about jotting down the serial number from either the box or the TV back sticker.

Is this information stored in the TV and available via any of the menus? I haven't found it in any searches.

NEW EDIT: I used a mirror to look around the back-bottom of the unit, but couldn't find the serial number anywhere. Could some kind sole let me know where the serial number tag is? Thanks

Marc

Business Manager
Pole Dancers Union, Local #47
post #819 of 1376 Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt-rtp View Post

Hi Marc

Check out Bruzzi's web site for the 411 and instructions on how to get into the service menu of your Panasonic at:

Thanks for the link. I was able to get into the service menu, but didn't see the serial number anywhere. Admittedly the service menu is not the easiest thing to navigate through and I might have missed it.

And more details will be greatly appreciated.

Marc

post #820 of 1376 Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Hi, I had a TH-42PX50u about two weeks ago. I returned it because after using the DVE calibration DVD I noticed a white line across the middle of the screen. It was faint but definitely there. I noticed it when my SA8300HD would switch channels from the guide and show a full grey screen. Now, CC is completely sold out and has no idea when new one's are coming in. I read that the next generation is due out in a few months. I then checked Costco and they have the TH-50PM50U (consumer) and TH-50PHD8UK (professional) plasmas. I read the FAQ and read around and they appear to be very similar. I noticed the professional had advanced color controls. After using the DVE disc I noticed there wasn't a color choice (cinema, standard, vivid) that I believed to be the one they were asking to use. Does the professional model have the right one? As far as pure picture quality is there any real difference? After having my plasma I feel like a chump watching my old CRT LOL! Would you guys recommend one of these costco one's over the other or should I just wait for the next gen to come out? Thanks.
post #821 of 1376 Old 02-22-2006, 02:40 AM

Hi,

first i want to thank BruZZi for his fine FAQ-Page!

in addition I have a few questions about the PX500/PV500:
(I read almost the whole thread, but didn´t found the right anwers)

1) I have the problem, that my Panny has the "Black Level Fluctuation" -problem I think, because the brightness changes sometimes (when in a light screen a dark area appears) very shortly.
So I have the question, if there is a solve for th PX500/PV500. The solve for the TH 37/42PHD8UK and "7UY" Displays doesn´t work.

2) Is there any possibility to use the speakers of the Panny as the center-speaker. For example to wire direct into the Panny at the right point, because my family won´t see the center speaker.

3) Has anyone the servicemanual for the PX50/PX500, because i think there must be more than the 3 Servicemenu´s we all know, to manage the overscan, pictureposition, and so on. I only found it for the TH-42PHD5 and 42PW4.
post #822 of 1376 Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info.
post #823 of 1376 Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm looking at getting a 42PHD8UK monitor. The installation will be using a HTM RF remote for control. Can anyone tell me where the IR sensor is on the unit and whether or not it will be possible to use an IR blaster to control the TV?

Thanks.
post #824 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Fisher View Post

I'm looking at getting a 42PHD8UK monitor. The installation will be using a HTM RF remote for control. Can anyone tell me where the IR sensor is on the unit and whether or not it will be possible to use an IR blaster to control the TV?

Thanks.

if my mem serves me correctly, the IR window is on face, bottom left corner.

click here for a pic of the unit
post #825 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post

Hi, I had a TH-42PX50u about two weeks ago. I returned it because after using the DVE calibration DVD I noticed a white line across the middle of the screen. It was faint but definitely there. I noticed it when my SA8300HD would switch channels from the guide and show a full grey screen. Now, CC is completely sold out and has no idea when new one's are coming in. I read that the next generation is due out in a few months. I then checked Costco and they have the TH-50PM50U (consumer) and TH-50PHD8UK (professional) plasmas. I read the FAQ and read around and they appear to be very similar. I noticed the professional had advanced color controls. After using the DVE disc I noticed there wasn't a color choice (cinema, standard, vivid) that I believed to be the one they were asking to use. Does the professional model have the right one? As far as pure picture quality is there any real difference? After having my plasma I feel like a chump watching my old CRT LOL! Would you guys recommend one of these costco one's over the other or should I just wait for the next gen to come out? Thanks.

the panels themselves should be the same. the consumer version has the inputs integrated into the unit while the PHD models have modules that you plug in. the modules offered for PHD are numerous and can allow you to do alot more with a PHD model as opposed to the consumer model(s), etc.

i noticed that when i switched my PHD from s-video to hdmi input, the color menu items disappeared.

hope this helps.
DK
post #826 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt-rtp View Post

Hi Marc

let me caution. one should know how to work the service menus before entering it. changing a setting in the wrong menu by mistake, or unknowingly, can damage the plasma.

i learned from Bruzzi that the volume key on the remote will change setting of some menu items, so be very careful when mucking around in the service menu.

DK
post #827 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Marc

"just" stretches just the ends of the source. what does "full" look like?
post #828 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

It's true, but no one makes a 37" or even a 42" plasma with 1280 X 720 resolution...they have not been able to make the pixels small enough to accomodate the extra lines of resolution. They are on the drawing board now and will probably be commercially available in the next couple of years, but at this point the only way to get HD resolution, either 1280 X 720 or 1920 X 1080 is to buy a 50" or larger panel.

The part about "discarding" 25% of the HD detail is not quite correct, in that the HD signal coming in is "scaled" to fit the available pixels...some detail may be discarded but it isn't the same thing as the issue currently being discussed regarding the way that Panasonic and others handle the 720 input signal. The Gary Merson article identified a number of sets that down-res the 720 signal to half the number of lines, and that is a disappointing outcome. There is a separate thread about those articles.

exactly! IMHO panels that cannot support the 2 HD canvas resolutions natively should not be tagged as a "HD" set, but rather "HD Compatible".

i believe the industry needs to use "TRUE-HD 720" and "TRUE-HD 1080" to distinguish the panel as one that supports the resolution(s) natively.

want to really know if they (panel sales folks at the retail stores) have any clue what HD is? simply go into the retail store, grab a plasma sales guru and ask "is this panel a true HD panel?". then inquire about the native resolution.... then feel free to educate.

DK
post #829 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozer View Post

Hello all,

I am having trouble with my 50" panny px50u. I have had this same problem and found a fix for it here on this board last year. Unfortunately, I forgot what I did! and I searched the forum but cant seem to find help.

Maybe there is a new fix for this now. I was thinking about calling panasonic, but thought I would post it here first.

The Aspect button on the remote does not work. When I hit the button the TV button just blinks. I think I reset the tv last time, but I dont remember exactly.

I do remember other people having the same trouble. It seem that once you get it worrking, it works for a while than quits. All other functions are workning properly and I love the TV!

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave

i dunno if your Q was answered or not, but the aspect feature wont work when the input signal is in certain modes (like 1080, etc). when in 480p it lets you pick several aspect modes.

was there really a "fix"?

DK
post #830 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsean View Post

I just purchased a Panasonic 50PX50U. Where do I find out whether it's native resolution is 720p or 1080i? Or both. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandypx View Post

Actually...it is neither. The native resolution of the 50px50u is 1366x768.

a 1080i signal is 1920x1080 - interlaced scan
a 720p is 1024x720 - progressive scan

The 50px50u is capable of scaling either signal (1080i or 720p) to it's native resolution of 1366x768.

HD 720 is 1280x720
HD 1080 is 1920x1080

a 1366x768 is natively 16:9, scaling is much easier to do. the 42phd8uk has 4:3 native pixels but on a 16:9 canvas, scaling on this panel is a tad more difficult.
post #831 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the default settings are for:

H-Pos, V-Pos, H-size, V-size

As accessed in the IIC service menu on the series 6 50" panel TH-50PHD6UY/TH-50PHW6 ?

I'm trying to set 1:1 pixel matching using a new input board and changed these settings over a year ago - without noting the defaults !

I wonder if there is a service setting to reset all settings to defaults ?

Thanks
mupi
post #832 of 1376 Old 02-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

HD 720 is 1280x720
HD 1080 is 1920x1080

a 1366x768 is natively 16:9, scaling is much easier to do. the 42phd8uk has 4:3 native pixels but on a 16:9 canvas, scaling on this panel is a tad more difficult.

Denon_Kid

Thanks for the correction... I knew that!
I must have been thinking of the native rez width of the 42...while I let my fingers do the typing.

Andy
post #833 of 1376 Old 02-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
Hi BruZZI:
I was all set to get Panny 500 but there has been a lot of posts about Panny losing resolution for 720p. I think it's published in home theatre magazine. Is this indeed a problem with Panny. Can you know at what resolution the PDP is disaplaying the picture using SM? Looks like a serious issue. Any thoughts??
-Sam

Ascend Towers with RAAL
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Bel Canto Pre-6
Outlaw 770
Oppo 105
Ciunas DAC
post #834 of 1376 Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 PM

I know an answer to this must be located somewhere..but I sure can't find it.

What are the powerstrip setings I need to run my ATI 9800pro video card into my Panasonic 500u TV. I am going DVI out to RGB in on the tv. I have the latest catylst drivers (6.03?). Do I even need powerstrip to achieve a great picture output on my HTPC?
post #835 of 1376 Old 02-24-2006, 07:03 PM

I have a panasonic TH-50PX50U tv. I use analog cable from Comcast. I'm trying to figure out what the actual channel number is for some of the local HD channels sent in QAM. It looks like the local channels are virtual channels. Anyone know how to find out what the real channel is? Thanks.
post #836 of 1376 Old 02-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

let me caution. one should know how to work the service menus before entering it. changing a setting in the wrong menu by mistake, or unknowingly, can damage the plasma.

i learned from Bruzzi that the volume key on the remote will change setting of some menu items, so be very careful when mucking around in the service menu.

DK

Thanks for the cautionary info. I poked around very carefully in the service mode but was not successfull in finding the serial number.

Can ANYBODY tell me where on the back of the unit the serial number info is? I've done some checks with a small mirror, but haven't found it yet. I don't have any practical way to unmount the screen as I'm new in town and don't have strong friends yet.

If somebody can tell me just where the info is, I can probably probe more deeply with the mirror and get the number.

Thanks!

Marc

post #837 of 1376 Old 02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"just" stretches just the ends of the source. what does "full" look like?

Hi Denon-

Full wasn't quite right either, but I adjusted the settings of Zoom mode and got a perfect fit!

Marc

post #838 of 1376 Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the cautionary info. I poked around very carefully in the service mode but was not successfull in finding the serial number.

Can ANYBODY tell me where on the back of the unit the serial number info is? I've done some checks with a small mirror, but haven't found it yet. I don't have any practical way to unmount the screen as I'm new in town and don't have strong friends yet.

If somebody can tell me just where the info is, I can probably probe more deeply with the mirror and get the number.

Thanks!

Marc

I FINALLY found it! If one is facing the screen, it's about a foot from the left and about 8-10 inches down. Careful probing with a mirror revealed it after I found that general area is where the stickers are on display models at local retailers.

Marc

post #839 of 1376 Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoern Roy View Post

Hi folks,

read parts of the FAQ and did a search, but haven't been lucky yet...

Are there any common pixel-perfect timings for the Panasonic PHD8 50inch 1366x768 using a HTPC with a Radeon card (Powerstrip etc)?

And is a pp timing also possible when using the HDMI input card? Or only with the D-15 RGB input.

Thanks a bunch, sorry if this has been covered 1000 times before.

Best regards
Bjoern

I would also like to know this, albeit with an Nvidia 6800GT card
post #840 of 1376 Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Can anyone tell me if the TY-ST50PX500 stand is compatible with the TH50PX50U PDP? It swivels and the TY-ST50PX5W stand doesn't.

Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page