FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1376 Old 01-04-2005, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by aporter0509
After reading about some of the issues with the 42PWD7UY, I am wondering if I would be better of buying the older model 6UY.

please provide me with your advice.

I would wait until the issues could be resolved before buying any "7UY" Model. That's actually what I'm doing. Was ready to buy the TH-50PHD7UY (Upgrade from my current Th-37PWD6UY) but decided to wait until Panasonic can provide "a fix". If you're in a hurry try to find a "6UY" Model or buy another Brand like NEC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1376 Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Contsi
Have the UY series been discontinued by Panasonic?
Can't seem to find them at the local stores, only the 25u.

The "UY" are Commercial Models found mostly online.
Only few local stores will carry them.

For online Sources, check out the AVS Sponsors:

Visual Apex - TV Authority - Plasma Concepts (Links at the top)
post #63 of 1376 Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM

Does the 25u have the same display problem as the UY series.
post #64 of 1376 Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope.
post #65 of 1376 Old 01-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Bruzzi,
Thanks for your help, I'm very interested in purchasing one of these 37''
25u unit. I need to learn more about the stretch mode, spacifically of only stretching the sides of the picture (and not the middle) to fit an SD signal on a wide screen. Do you know if this model have this feature and do you know a thread that addresses this issue in detail.
Thanks
post #66 of 1376 Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Contsi
Bruzzi,
Thanks for your help, I'm very interested in purchasing one of these 37''
25u unit. I need to learn more about the stretch mode, spacifically of only stretching the sides of the picture (and not the middle) to fit an SD signal on a wide screen. Do you know if this model have this feature and do you know a thread that addresses this issue in detail.
Thanks

You may want to try going to the Panny website, and download to view the manual - it has great examples/diagrams/descriptions of the various picture options available on this unit. I too, was a bit confused, w/ all of the "aspects" (get it?) of this monitor, but the diagrams were the best to clear up the picture in my mind.

After reading the manual, I ordered a 25u myself!
post #67 of 1376 Old 01-07-2005, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's called "JUST" Mode. Available on both Commercial and Consumer.
Do a search for more info.
post #68 of 1376 Old 01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

From what Ive been told if you hook up a 37in panny plasmaEd to The TWC SAexplorer 3250HD box the just mode on the TV will become disabled and you will have to use the box remote on settings and set at 16.9 4.3stretch. Which should give you a good picture.
post #69 of 1376 Old 01-10-2005, 05:21 PM

The comparison chart of the 42'' ED PLASMA is great. However, I didn't see any info on the half-life for either models. Are they both at 60,000 hours? Should I even care about it? Also does anyone know when the 8th generation model will come out?

AWESOME THREAD BRUZZI!
post #70 of 1376 Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 PM

No, you should not care about half life. It's not meaningful, and besides this ED set will be obsolete long before you reach the halfway point.
post #71 of 1376 Old 01-11-2005, 06:41 AM

Just purchased the TH-42Px25 and love it. Question, what is the best long term setting for the side bars with 4:3 display? I did read in the manual "high" is not the best but don't know what is.
post #72 of 1376 Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Hello all,
I am a "newbie", but I have really enjoyed all the knowledge i have gained from this site. Anyway, if someone, or a hundred someones could help me ..id be grateful..i am on a budget of sorts and have decided to purchase either a Panasonic TH-42PD25UD, or a TH-PWD7UY. I'm trying to understand the differences between these two models. The 25UD costs more, but it seems like the majority are going with the 7UY. I know the t.v. stand comes with the 25UD, but what are the other differences, and how would they effect my purchase and the price Im going to pay. I watch 40% DVD, 40% sports and the rest is regualr tv veiwing with an occasional video game thrown in. Im sorry for the long windedness, but any help making a decsion would be appriciated. One more thing, do i have to buy special "boards" or "tuners" if i purchase the 7UY? Have a great day.
post #73 of 1376 Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skatingwizard9
Hello all,
I am a "newbie", but I have really enjoyed all the knowledge i have gained from this site. Anyway, if someone, or a hundred someones could help me ..id be grateful..i am on a budget of sorts and have decided to purchase either a Panasonic TH-42PD25UD, or a TH-PWD7UY. I'm trying to understand the differences between these two models. The 25UD costs more, but it seems like the majority are going with the 7UY. I know the t.v. stand comes with the 25UD, but what are the other differences, and how would they effect my purchase and the price Im going to pay. I watch 40% DVD, 40% sports and the rest is regualr tv veiwing with an occasional video game thrown in. Im sorry for the long windedness, but any help making a decsion would be appriciated. One more thing, do i have to buy special "boards" or "tuners" if i purchase the 7UY? Have a great day.

Well the main differences is that the 25U is the consumer model with stand, speakers, OTA ATSC and cable card HD Tuners. The 7UY is a commercial model just a display but a newer generation of electronics/glass that has some improvements in picture. If you can wait a few months at CES Panasonic announced their new models that will use the next generation of glass, are consumer models with all the extras mentioned above and have a lower MSRP. They come out in March, April and May (smaller models earlier).
post #74 of 1376 Old 01-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Mikeabc123,
thanks for the help. I am moving in to a new place Feb 1st and would like to make a purchase before march, ect. If i go with the 7UY would I have to buy add ons such as stand, speakers, OTA ATSC and cable card HD Tuners?. The stand and speakers arent a big deal because i want to incorporate surround sound/theatre sound and the stand isnt a big issue. How about the OTA ATSC and cable card HD tuners..? im not even sure what those are..thanks in advance for the advice..
post #75 of 1376 Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM

ok..i kinda figured out about the OTA ATSC and cable card HD Tuners. The ota atsc card is for converting analog signals and the hd tuner is for receiving broadcast in hd..im not much of a techie obviously and kinda a moron..could i order these seperate of the 42pwd7uy and add them on myself or what..?how would i go about this..?is it worth it..whats the best way to go about this..im going to hook up theatre sound..(i assume i can hook a receiver into the tv) so i dont really need the speakers or the stand..please advise!!!! sorry im so stupid..all this stuff is so confusing..thanks for your help...
post #76 of 1376 Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 PM

There are no tuner options for the 7uy's. If you have cable or satellite service, they have their own tuners in the boxes they give you and you would only need to hook the box up to your plasma. You don't need the speakers if you are going to route all your audio into your receiver and there are speakers hooked up to the receiver.

Here's another wrinkle for you. If you are looking to buy around late Feb./early March you might want to wait and see what the new consumer panny's look like. I thought I read on this forum that they were due out in March.
post #77 of 1376 Old 01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I can truthfully say I have had zero problems with my Panasonic EDTV using it for around 2 months. I will add I tried to duplicate the problem they are talking about but could not. Then, again, maybe I did not try hard enough. To my eyes the complete display is working 100 percent and I am most happy with the picture quality on the screen. I watch 80 percent HD content by the way. And, at 12 feet plus, it looks great. I would buy the set again tomorrow.
post #78 of 1376 Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 AM

hey mangopony,
did you use a regular cable box or un upgrade hdtv box..? is there even an option if you want to upconvert some shows shown in hdtv on the edtv..?please infor and educate. thanks.
post #79 of 1376 Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Having a problem trying to turn off and on my new 37PD25panney with my SA explorer3250HD receiver remote. When i press my on button on the remote the red sensor light on the TV front panel doesn't light up to show picture. I have to use the TV remote or press the panel on/off button to get the picture. I'M sure there has to be a way to turn the TV on and off with the receiver.
post #80 of 1376 Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM

Is there a way to show what the input format (480p, 1080i, etc) is on component and HDMI on a consumer model? The recall button on the TH-42PD25U/P brings up the banner showing the input format when using tuner and S-Video inputs. But it doesn't show the formats when using component or HDMI.
post #81 of 1376 Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if someone can explain what the different picture modes (Cinema, Standard, etc) on these units end up doing to the picture? I've noticed that setting the same parameters for two different pic modes will end up in a completely different picture!?!
post #82 of 1376 Old 01-20-2005, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've been trying to find that same info for ages. I've been told that each mode has different gamma values...and different sharpness references. I accept this info....but why is it that the greyscale looks very green in cinema as compared to dynamic....and less so standard. My understanding is that gamma shouldn't affect coloring in the greyscale....
post #83 of 1376 Old 01-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

I got my panney a couple of weeks ago the manual says the pic mode is for choosing a setting that describes your viewing situation. I chose standard because my viewing conditions are normal with subdued room lighting. Cinema mode is for watching movies in a darkened room. It all has to do with your lighting situation. The manual describes this to a T. Tip the auto mode doesn't do what it says it does. Hope this helps.
post #84 of 1376 Old 01-20-2005, 07:52 AM

I think the auto mode uses the light sensor on the bottom of the panel near the power button to guage ambient light conditions and adjusts picture and brightness accordingly. This function appears to work correctly on my pwd7uy. Can you elaborate as to how it doesn't do that?
post #85 of 1376 Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My manual doesn't describe these pic modes at all.....
post #86 of 1376 Old 01-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Panasonic dropeed MSRP on Onyx models

Price Drop - Panasonic Onyx TH-50XVS30

It seems Panasonic has dropped the MSRP by a grand to $7,999.00.

What is the average street price for this unit.

Thanks
post #87 of 1376 Old 01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

I tryd using the auto mode and switched to the standard mode which seem to work better for me. I also read somewhere that the auto mode doesn't do what it says it does. If it works for you good.
post #88 of 1376 Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Steffche,
The manul for the panney 37PD25 page 26 click pic mode it gives you four choices.
post #89 of 1376 Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by specgeorge
I tryd using the auto mode and switched to the standard mode which seem to work better for me. I also read somewhere that the auto mode doesn't do what it says it does. If it works for you good.

The "AUTO" mode never really worked (to my taste) on all three Panasonic Plasmas I had
(TH42PW5UZ - TH-37PW5UZ - TH-37PWD6UY). Picture was always too dark.
post #90 of 1376 Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Steffche
My manual doesn't describe these pic modes at all.....

Description from the Commercial Models Manual:

STANDARD
For viewing in standard (evening lighting) environments.
This menu selects the normal levels of BRIGHTNESS
and PICTURE.

DYNAMIC (Consumer = VIVID )
For viewing in brighter environments.
This menu selects higher than normal levels of
BRIGHTNESS and PICTURE.

CINEMA
Ideal for movies. ( Softens the picture to make it appear more film-like - Too soft IMO. )

AUTO
Automatically selects the mode that best suits the brightness of the environment. (not for me )
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page