How To Wall Mount A Plasma - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 328 Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just read this entire thread and no one explained how to mount a 42" plasma in a gingerbread house with marshmellow studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 328 Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You will need licorice sticks and gummy bears.
post #303 of 328 Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 AM

I am trying to decide which, if any wall mount is best to use to mount a 47" lcd above the fireplace. The stone is uneven ( some stones stick out probably 3" or more than others) A flush wallmount will not work (I don't think) What kind of a mount would work best and give me clearance to hang my tv? Would a mount with an arm be my best bet? Can I go through the stone or should I go through the mortar?

Thanks for your help
post #304 of 328 Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbcki View Post

I am trying to decide which, if any wall mount is best to use to mount a 47" lcd above the fireplace. The stone is uneven ( some stones stick out probably 3" or more than others) A flush wallmount will not work (I don't think) What kind of a mount would work best and give me clearance to hang my tv? Would a mount with an arm be my best bet? Can I go through the stone or should I go through the mortar?

Thanks for your help

In this situation, I would DEFINITELY recommend professional help from someone who knows what they're doing. You have many complicating factors ... any one of which could result in disaster if not properly handled.
post #305 of 328 Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmjh View Post

In this situation, I would DEFINITELY recommend professional help from someone who knows what they're doing. You have many complicating factors ... any one of which could result in disaster if not properly handled.

Thanks bigmjh, I was thinking the only complicating factor was the uneven stones. I thought I may be able to get around this if I bought a mount that had a wideopen space in the center of the wall mount bracket (then I could place it so the protruding stones were in the middle of the mount, hopefully still giving me enough room to put the tv on the mount without the back of the tv hitting the rock) and the mount would sit flush.
post #306 of 328 Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM

I was going to mount my new Panasonic TH-50PX80U and the studs on wall is not centered in the middle of the wall where I need to mount it. Can anybody tell me on how to fix this problem so I mount my PDP in the middle of my wall.

Thanks,
you reply to this post or email me at deatony@bellsouth.net
post #307 of 328 Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTdville View Post

I was going to mount my new Panasonic TH-50PX80U and the studs on wall is not centered in the middle of the wall where I need to mount it. Can anybody tell me on how to fix this problem so I mount my PDP in the middle of my wall.

Thanks,
you reply to this post or email me at deatony@bellsouth.net

i kind of had a similar situation with mine, but it was easily remedied by the adjustability of the wall mount. i believe most of them offer a horizontal adjustment so that u mount the frame/brace to the studs, but the bracket which holds the plasma can slide left or right some so that u can "center" your tv. hope that makes sense

have you purchased your mount yet? if not then i would suggest you look into that feature &* see how much adjustment you have relative to the amount of offset needed to center your tv.

peace!
kahlil
post #308 of 328 Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Is your wall covering drywall, plaster, brick?

If its drywall, you can cut out a piece top to bottom, all the way between studs.

Add a nailer to the inside of each existing stud to mount new drywall on.

this would be a good time to run all your wiring to the plasma including any computer/internet cables and maybe a FireWire 1394 cable. Don't forget to place a power outlet box back there.

Place new stud where you need it and toe nail in place with some 16p nails or some 3" long deck screws.

Fill the opening with drywall and tape edges and fill screw holes. Since you will be looking at this alot, as its under the plasma, take your time on sanding the drywall joints. You can never have it too smooth. By a can or two of texture and do a good job to match the existing texture. Pactice on some drywall in the garage.

The paint the whole wall.

Go Sooners, beat Texas
Vince Young 39 - 2 (lost 1 to OU)
post #309 of 328 Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM

I just bought a th-42px80u and a Cantilever plasma lcd/plasma wall mount from Sam's that is supposed fit 34" to 58" screens. When trying to mount the tv on the wall mount the clips on the rear of the tv are wider than the mounting plate. It shows in the manual for the mount the bracket on the tv is supposed to fit inside. Can anyone help me??
post #310 of 328 Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbcki View Post

Thanks for your help

Never drill into the mortar because it is going to be the weakest. And I agree that you should seek professional help with this one. GL!

PatInvision
post #311 of 328 Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Thought this might be helpful for people who are having trouble hitting two studs and/or centering their plasmas/LCDs. Here is the website and a set of PDF instructions and specs... http://www.toggler.com/pdf/toggle.pdf

We use these on installations all the time, they are a real life saver.

PatInvision
post #312 of 328 Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

You will need to be a bit more specific. The mounting plate doesn't usually need to be centered on the wall. You can hit two studs and slide the TV on the brackets to either side, giving you a bit of play. If you still can't hit two studs, you can use anchor mounts such as the ones recommended in an earlier post (or you can get standards ones at Home Depot, etc.

Quote:

You can use just about any mount. I like Omnimount personally because it comes with the parts needed (including instructions) for masonry installation. If your mount doesn't have these instructions you can obtain masonry/lag screws or masonry wall anchors at any Home Depot or Lowes store. You'll use plastic spacers to take up the slack between the uneven surfaces of your mount. The installation is very easy. The only difficult consideration is where to place the wires and obtain electrical access. Oh yeah...drill into stone never mortar.

Quote:

I just bought a th-42px80u and a Cantilever plasma lcd/plasma wall mount from Sam's that is supposed fit 34" to 58" screens. When trying to mount the tv on the wall mount the clips on the rear of the tv are wider than the mounting plate. It shows in the manual for the mount the bracket on the tv is supposed to fit inside. Can anyone help me??

It's difficult to know exactly what you are talking about. But larger TVs (I have a 61") often need extension arms to fit on the mounting plate. did you make sure that the mount is compatible with your model before you purchased it? Sorry, that was a rhetorical question.
post #313 of 328 Old 07-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from March, but I am wanting to cover my cables from a wall mounted plasma using wood/oak slats similar to the drawing here neelapala.com/designs/ddish.htm (with a www in front) that was shown in a previous reply in this thread. My question is, how do you hang the slats and hide the cables behind the slats? Do the slats stick out from the wall a few inches? I had thought about using slats because I don't want a generic looking raceway. When I google for information about wood slats I find loads of websites talking about blinds.
post #314 of 328 Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm looking into buying a flat panel mount for a small 32" Westinghouse. I found a cheap company but I've never heard of them and wondered if anyone had any experience with www dot seethebigpicture dot net ? (I don't know if there are any linking rules so I don't want to have any issues.)
post #315 of 328 Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Did you evr find your mount if not let me know we sell them
post #316 of 328 Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 AM

HEY PATINVISION
Are you trying to tell me you mounted a Flat screen on a wall onto sheetrock and it's holding????? With thee type og anchors????
post #317 of 328 Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 AM

hey hi guys

mounting a plasma is not an easy task to perform you need a expert to fix it onto the wall . so be careful of doing this kind of tactics .If you are interested you can check out the link here . This I have found while surfing online and i have found good collection of brackets.
avnow.com
post #318 of 328 Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM

I just came across this Datacomm product for mounting TV's. Has anyone ever use this part and is it easy to use??? http://********************/Default.as...Product_id=963 Can any one give me some insight on this product. I appreciate your input.
post #319 of 328 Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjj760 View Post

I just came across this Datacomm product for mounting TV's. Has anyone ever use this part and is it easy to use??? http://********************/Default.as...Product_id=963 Can any one give me some insight on this product. I appreciate your input.

Other members here including myself have purchased a Pro Power Kit from monoprice and others have purchased a Power Extension Kit from PowerBridge Solution.
post #320 of 328 Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
I did the Powerbridge myself last year. Thought I'd share what I found when I ordered, a special link for forum members to special order the PowerBridge cheaper ($39.95) than the one from monoprice ($48.00)
post #321 of 328 Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

I did the Powerbridge myself last year. Thought I'd share what I found when I ordered, a special link for forum members to special order the PowerBridge cheaper ($39.95) than the one from monoprice ($48.00)

Thanks for the information. I actually bought the Datacomm version after I watched the video on YouTube! Looks pretty simple and clean. I will show some pics wheen I am done!

http://www.youtube.com/user/CableGiantProducts
post #322 of 328 Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Liked: 13
I've read through this entire thread... it was lengthy, spanning a few years lol

So, here's my situation, bought a new house--has metal studs, or concrete exterior block construction for the exterior. I need to mount a 6010 pioneer on one of those walls. If I do it on the exterior--Cutting out block, will not be fun to run the wires, or going up to the attic for the speaker wires. If I do the metal studs, I can probably span 3 studs--vmp3 sanus (not positve the model is right)--extending one. I worry that even 3 studs using 6 toggle bolts wont be enough to support it.

I was thinking I'd be best ripping out some sheetrock and putting in woodstuds (at least 2) to make sure it's supported properly.

Any thoughts?

Same problem with 42" and 50" plasmas in the other rooms.
post #323 of 328 Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

toggle bolts will work. Drill a pilot hole then drill holes large enough for the toggle. You can also open up the wall where the middle space is in the bracket and then reach in and fasten the bolts with nuts. There is the plywood route too.
post #324 of 328 Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM

plywood in front of the drywall, or substitute drywall.

standard drywall is capable of holding 200ish+lbs no?

My main concern is the metal studs buckling--I'm guessing toggles + 3 studs, top/bottom on each may be ok. Think it would help to pull the drywall off and affix plywood to the stud instead?
post #325 of 328 Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

construction grade metal studs should not buckle. They are, after all, holding up your home.

I'd just go with the toggles myself. You can go to home depot and see house contruction grade metal studs for yourself. My bigger concern would be stripping the bolts or the hole, but toggles covers that just fine.

Drywall can hold a lot of weight. Even if you didn't hit any studs, the toggles just into drywall would hold up your plasma.
post #326 of 328 Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM

true--i know i've read that the drywall can hold 200+ lbs somewhere--just hoping to get someone that's tested the toggles + metal studs to chime in. The tv is heavy, but like I said, across 3 studs has to help. I've not seen what type of studs are in the wall yet--but wanted to be prepared.
post #327 of 328 Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM

does home depot/lowes sell something that will work or should i order from one of the links online == toggle bolts
post #328 of 328 Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

do some research online then go to Lowes and see what they have available. You can buy pretty big toggles at Lowes though.

Also do a search on the internet for metal studs and mounting plasma. I saw a lot of hits and some of the commentors posted their experience. Most said toggles were just fine.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page