How To Wall Mount A Plasma - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
-I don't think you get interference from power-a/v cables but I could be totally wrong.
-You can get a post construction single gang box if I recall my electrician dad correctly.
-There are recessed Panamax outlets to deal with power plugs.
-Some wall mounts provide NO cut out for wires so be sure to check the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxylplik2 View Post

Okay, read all the posts - still have questions on wire management.

For some reason, I never thought about installing an outlet behind the plasma when bulding my addition - probably thought I could run the power cord down the inside of the wall but I found out now that I'm wrong about that.

Anyway, I want the plasma to be flush mounted to the wall as close as possible.

I would imagine the mount has cutout holes for the power cord and all a/v cables. I imagine there would be two cutouts - one for power cord b/c the wall directly behind the cutout would have an electrical outlet and block other a/v cables from going down that hole. One problem I have is that I already ran speaker wire down that stud bay (for center channel) - so I will have to keep the electrical away from that wire as best as I can.

How does an electrical outlet get installed when drywall is already up? I noticed in new construction that the outlet box needs to be nailed into the side of the stud and the drywall goes over the box but it covers where the location where the nail needs to be placed. Do you cut a hole larger than the outlet box and then patch the gap in the drywall?

What I can't visualize is how the power cord would go in (isn't it about two-three inches in total with cord being bent 90 degrees to side? unless its one of those flat plugs) without forcing the tv to stick out from the wall (unless using one of those recessed outlets). I'm talking about flush mount - not swivel mount.

I know I can always run the power cord on the outside of the wall and cover it up somehow - but the goal is that nice clean look. Can you run the a/c cables and power cord down the same raceway, without it causing interference? Thanks.

what you need is a "remodeler" outlet box, basically you cut out the sheetrock the same size of the box, slide it in and turn some screws that snugs it up to the back of the rock.

Use a recessed or "clock" outlet or try to find a pigtail with a 90 degree/flat plug.

Pio 5050 / H10-250 / HTPC
post #93 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM

If I ran the power cord and a/v cables down the exterior of the drywall, can they go in the same raceway or would that cause interference?
post #94 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbri View Post

what you need is a "remodeler" outlet box, basically you cut out the sheetrock the same size of the box, slide it in and turn some screws that snugs it up to the back of the rock.

Use a recessed or "clock" outlet or try to find a pigtail with a 90 degree/flat plug.

We used a clock outlet in the bedroom and it works with the power cord snugly fitting between my plasma and the wall. The mount is a F-PAN so the TV is pretty close to the wall. More of a hassle was bundling up the 3' or so of power cord and getting that stuffed between the TV and the wall... You definitely want to go to code and the clock outlet should give you clearance to get the plug into the wall and have room to run the power cord to the TV.
post #95 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 06:35 PM

For best results, you should keep signal and power cables in separate raceways, and if possible have then cross at right angles. I noticed our electricians doing this when wiring our house, and that agrees with conventional wisdom.

On the other hand, if doing a retrofit, it is probably not practical to do two raceways. Running for short distances you will probably not notice much of a problem if you use decent shielding on your audio and video cables. Otherwise you might get a hum from the 60Hz power line induced in your analog signals, similar to ground loop noise. Or not. Digital should do a btter job rejecting this noise.

Your milegage may vary. :-)
post #96 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxylplik2 View Post

If I ran the power cord and a/v cables down the exterior of the drywall, can they go in the same raceway or would that cause interference?

Are you talking raceway or the space between studs? In my bedroom I have a/c power between studs running parallel to speaker wire (opposite sides of course) for my left speaker; probably for about 2-3' with separation distance of around 8". And because it is an in-wall speaker of 6.5" diameter, the a/c is probably 3-5" from the speaker itself. It was non-ideal but I'm not getting any detectable noise on the speaker.

So having the a/c with your center channel may be non-ideal but still very workable if you bring the speaker wires down on one side until you go to the speaker. And then have the a/c on the other side. Everyone recommends that the best plan is no parallel a/c and A/V and if they meet then cross at right angles to each other. Since the wife wanted lights, I had to roll the dice and luckily everything worked out.

My layout from left to right was:
studs 1-2: a/c power for lights in bathroom behind the bedroom, L speaker wire
studs 2-3: a/c power for plasma to recessed clock outlet.
studs 3-4: a/v cables and center speaker cables
studs 5-6: speaker wire for R speaker (some minor stud issues here as you match the addition onto the existing house and have load bearing a 4x4)
post #97 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhokie View Post

Are you talking raceway or the space between studs?

Sorry, I may be using the wrong term - when I said raceway, I meant the exterior cover the goes over the wires on the outside of the wall. To restate the question, if I decide to put the cords/wires outside on the exterior of the drywall, can the power cord and the a/v cords run in the same "channel"?
post #98 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You seem to have a mix match of questions here. No matter how close to the wall your mount is, you will have enough room if you use a recessed outlet.

You will not use any conduit or raceway that is currently being used by your stereo wires. You need to run romex 14 gauge or 12 gauge depending on where you will tap into power. The easiest thing to do is to tap into power at a nearby power outlet (perhaps one on the wall directly below) and then fish the romex up to a hole that you will cut into the drywall. Install an "old work" electrical box and run the romex into the box. Most home circuits run 15 amps using the smaller wiring (14 gauge). Then you may install a recessed outlet. (Note: some recessed outlets may come with an old work electrical box. I think Panamax is one.) Keep in mind that 14 gauge is more flexible and will probably work better with a recessed outlet. If you use the insulated romex you will not have problems with stereo interference...well at least not that most of us humans can hear (or unless you believe in power conditioners).

If you run an exterior conduit raceway solution you can run both wiring in the same conduit. (see statement above regarding humans and power conditioners again).

BTW...if you want a "clean" look, why on earth would you run conduit?
post #99 of 328 Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

BTW...if you want a "clean" look, why on earth would you run conduit?

Some times in-wall isn't a viable or necessary option.
post #100 of 328 Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sharp LCD 37 and a Sanus tilt wall mount

I've got a few questions:

- Got drywall with I believe metal studs. Any advice on what I need to pick up tp mount the mount to the wall, meaning bolts. The ones that came with the mount are for wood beams.

- I want to run ALL the wires in the wall, but I'm reading here that the electrical cord from the TV is a no-no?

- I'm not quite understanding this wire stuff you guys are talking about with one crossing over another, etc.

Thanks!
post #101 of 328 Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice2005 View Post

Sharp LCD 37 and a Sanus tilt wall mount

I've got a few questions:

- Got drywall with I believe metal studs. Any advice on what I need to pick up tp mount the mount to the wall, meaning bolts. The ones that came with the mount are for wood beams.

Thanks!

If I had metal studs I would use a ceiling mount and brace it from above. Also you could fiqure the wiring stuff from above also. Just a thought.

These are just my opinions.
post #102 of 328 Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Can I first install wall mount and run cables on the outside and then at a later time run it inside the wall, or should I do both at the same time...

I just wanna mount and use it right away and dont have time to do the whole insdie wall thing right now.

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #103 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

Can I first install wall mount and run cables on the outside and then at a later time run it inside the wall, or should I do both at the same time...

I just wanna mount and use it right away and dont have time to do the whole insdie wall thing right now.

Sure. That's how mine is setup right now.

I've got a Panamax In-Wall protector on the way...so I'll get to work on running the A/V cables through the wall and adding the new outlet when it gets here. In the mean time the cables are on the outside.
post #104 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM

Hi I was wondering what makes it so difficult to mount a plasma above a fireplace. Is it due to its height? Also what if the wall is not dry wall how much more work would that take?

Lastly, I've been asked this a couple times, but is there a way to mount a plasma on the ceiling? 1 person I spoke to wanted to mount it facing down, another person I spoke to wanted a mount that comes off the ceiling, somehow, and then the plasma on the mount.
post #105 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm having a helluva time finding a stereo mini to RCA cable for my Sharp 32", that I want wall mounted, that's more then 7'. I've seen the crap standard stuff at Radio Shack, and I may have to deal with that, but I have to believe that there is something of better quality out there that is around the 9'-12' range?
post #106 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm having a helluva time finding a stereo mini to RCA cable for my Sharp 32", that I want wall mounted, that's more then 7'. I've seen the crap standard stuff at Radio Shack, and I may have to deal with that, but I have to believe that there is something of better quality out there that is around the 9'-12' range?

are you referring to something like this ?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg.../item/SP-DCC-2

post #107 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 PM

can someone guide me here - i would really really appreciate the help...i live on the 25th floor of a highrise and want to wallmount the tv...i believe there are aluminium studs in the wall...anyway have any idea how i go about with the installation...i bought the sanus wall mount, but am scared to drill holes in the wall, unless i am sure about what i am doing...

thanks!
post #108 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnakster View Post

Hi I was wondering what makes it so difficult to mount a plasma above a fireplace. Is it due to its height? Also what if the wall is not dry wall how much more work would that take?

Not really that difficult, although most of the times one is mounting to some kind of brick (need to use tapcons or sleeve anchors) and wire concelement isn't as easy (i had to use some wire channels along the ceiling.)

Quote:

Lastly, I've been asked this a couple times, but is there a way to mount a plasma on the ceiling? 1 person I spoke to wanted to mount it facing down, another person I spoke to wanted a mount that comes off the ceiling, somehow, and then the plasma on the mount.

don't think i would mount a plasma facing down from the ceiling, gravity may have ill effects on the glass. peerless makes some ceiling mounts:
http://www.peerlessindustries.com/pr...d=PLCM&sg=FPSS

post #109 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you referring to something like this ?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg.../item/SP-DCC-2

No I need a stereo-mini to RCA (L&R) male like this-

http://www.yoursite.com/pc-171942-19...f8v235-12.aspx

But that's the lowest quality there is. I've found quite a few Monster, Belkin, etc but they are all 7'. I need at least 8' with 9' offering the most slack.
post #110 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:

No I need a stereo-mini to RCA (L&R) male like this-

http://www.yoursite.com/pc-171942-19...f8v235-12.aspx

But that's the lowest quality there is. I've found quite a few Monster, Belkin, etc but they are all 7'. I need at least 8' with 9' offering the most slack.

ah... just get a mini extension cable then, i use one in a couple different setups and they work just poifect.

post #111 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ah... just get a mini extension cable then, i use one in a couple different setups and they work just poifect.

Can you elaborate?
post #112 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Can you elaborate?

sure

im using this mini extension connected to a monster mini --> rca cable.

i've also purchased a cheap version at radioshack that works well, i believe it was a 6' extension.

post #113 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

MNbri- So you are saying to get the 7' cable and use a mini extension? There's no signal loss? I'm just nervous about having an extended cable in the wall. I'd rather it be one long cable, but that's a good back up idea.
post #114 of 328 Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:

MNbri- So you are saying to get the 7' cable and use a mini extension? There's no signal loss? I'm just nervous about having an extended cable in the wall. I'd rather it be one long cable, but that's a good back up idea.

i wouldn't worry about signal loss.

if you're worried about having the connection inside the wall then just get an extension long enough so the connection between it and the rca deally is outside the wall... or wrap the connection with electrical tape and call her good

post #115 of 328 Old 11-26-2005, 10:36 PM

rmcgirr,
There are mounts available that you can adapt so that the unit will still be centered even if the studs do not line up that way

the stud on my wall is not exactly centered. can you recommend some mount which will center the unit if the studs do not line up that way.

thanks
post #116 of 328 Old 11-27-2005, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshreddyr View Post

the stud on my wall is not exactly centered. can you recommend some stud which will center the unit if the studs do not line up that way.

Sanus mounts can do this. The overpriced Pio mount I almost bought, couldn't.
post #117 of 328 Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

MNbri- Thanks.

rakeshreddyr- I'm in the same boat. For my 32" LCD, I found a mount that has a 6" vertical adjustment where it basically slides side to side. In my daughter's bedroom, her 20" LCD won't fit center either, the stud is about 4"-5" off center. I found a mount at www.mountsandmore.com (same retailer with the above mount for my 32") that is a swing arm mount. When closed, the arm extends to one side making it off center. I think that would make it almost center when the arm is closed.
post #118 of 328 Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:

MNbri- Thanks.

rakeshreddyr- I'm in the same boat. For my 32" LCD, I found a mount that has a 6" vertical adjustment where it basically slides side to side. In my daughter's bedroom, her 20" LCD won't fit center either, the stud is about 4"-5" off center. I found a mount at (same retailer with the above mount for my 32") that is a swing arm mount. When closed, the arm extends to one side making it off center. I think that would make it almost center when the arm is closed.

Kid Red,
Mine is a 26 lcd and the stud is off center by couple of inches. I was wondering which mount you used for your 32. I was thinking abt trying out the Sanus VM200s. Can anyone let me know if this mount can be used for side by side movement so that i can center the TV.

Thanks in Advance
post #119 of 328 Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshreddyr View Post

Kid Red,
Mine is a 26 lcd and the stud is off center by couple of inches. I was wondering which mount you used for your 32. I was thinking abt trying out the Sanus VM200s. Can anyone let me know if this mount can be used for side by side movement so that i can center the TV.

Thanks in Advance

http://www.mountsandmore.com/prods/P...0/0PPE0432.htm

It allows for a 6" horizontal adjustment. It's VESA 200 I think and you can email them to ask them to verify your LCD will fit if you are unsure.

I should have it mounted this week, so I'll let you know how much lateral adjustment is allowed for a 32".
post #120 of 328 Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
For Metal Studs:

Some mounts come with several types of bolts for various purposes. Also you may call the mount manufacturer that may have bolts. IF not, I'm sure you can find some that are a similar size at Home Depot, Lowes or other hardware store. Drilling is the same, you just need the proper bit.

Fireplace mounts:

The difficult part isn't the mount but the wiring (as in where do you put the wires?). Even so, there is usually a lot of room between the face of the fireplace and the actual exhaust tube. Properly done it is still possible to do a concealed wall mount.

Special Jacks and such. Radio Shack actually sells decent stuff. Why don't you try their products first? Fry's Electronics carries a lot of stuff and I would suggest you try the forum sponsors above. I have had success finding most of what I need at Ram Electronics.

Studs off center:

Many mounts have horizontal adjustment. This means that the mounting plate does not have to be centered on the studs. The mounting bolts still go into the studs, but you can slide the mounting plate left or right a few inches to get teh mount centered on the wall. I think I have an omnimount which had this feature. You'll also want to look for a cutout in the mounting plate for your outlet and other wiring.

Ceiling mounts:

Contrary to the Philips commercials, you cannot hang a plasma on the ceiling (so that you would be looking at the ceiling to watch tv). Your set manual will tell you not to do this. I have no idea why, I recall seeing the reason in another thread some time ago, but I knwo you aren't supposed to do it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page