How To Wall Mount A Plasma - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 328 Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
j7f

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
big questions...hope i can get some help from everyone!!!

1. which one of the below mounts does everyone suggest? i'm mounting a panasonic 42/60u.

h**p://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11135149&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=
h**p://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11134171&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=
h**p://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10042361&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&bp=category&eCat=BC%7C79%7C28599&img=1

2. live in a highrise. anyone have advice for mounting to aluminum studs? is it recommended? how can i go about safely doing it?

that's it. thanks to everyone for your help!!!!!

-j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 328 Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 AM

Any idea how much space I need above the TV when I go to lift it up on the wall mount bracket? I have been told I need a minimum of 6" clearance to lift it up on to the flush bracket.
post #183 of 328 Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkerman View Post

Any idea how much space I need above the TV when I go to lift it up on the wall mount bracket? I have been told I need a minimum of 6" clearance to lift it up on to the flush bracket.

Really depends on the mount, but my Sanus VMPL2 only needs a couple inches or so for the "hooks" to clear the wall plate and lock-in.
post #184 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 AM

Thanks GoHD. I'm going to look at the initial construction of the wall unit tonight and was suddenly concerned I had not accounted for enough space to lift the Panel on to the wall bracket. I've got about 4" to 5" inches of space so it sounds like I may be O.K. It sounds like worst case I can go with an articulated arm and loose a little distance (added thickness of folded support arms) and I think they are more expensive. thanks for responding.
post #185 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM

I'm curious as to what others strategy has been regarding running cables? Did you run everything possible that your display could accept to maximize connectivity options?

I'm looking at mounting to an external wall in an existing house so I don't think running conduit is a possibility. There will be times when I want to just use the tv's speakers and not my surround system.
post #186 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by talman View Post

I'm curious as to what others strategy has been regarding running cables? Did you run everything possible that your display could accept to maximize connectivity options?.

That's what I did! Of course, I use only one HDMI and one component set now.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #187 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Thanks Kal!

Did you have a conduit or did you drill lots of holes?

I'd really like to try running the cables myself but I am NOT a handy person. I do have a huge crawlspace and i'd only be running the cables to the adjacent wall 10-12' away.
post #188 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No conduit. Inside wall. Put a hole behind the PDPmount and filled it with a Panamax 3way Max-In-Wall panel. Fed the cables down to the crawl space, across the crawl space to another hole (with another MIW) behind the equipment rack about 6-7feet away. Actually, my electricians did the work.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #189 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 PM

I've had my 50" plasma for about two months. In about two weeks we'll have a new entertainment center so I'll need to mount the plasma to that.

The entertainment center has a back board that the plasma will mount to. The back board is solid wood, 1/2" thick. I have a new Peerless wall mount that I'll use.

Any hints or things to watch out for? I've mounted one flat panel to a wall before so I'm familiar with the procedure. Thinking it through, the thing I'm most concerned about is making sure the 1/2" back board is securely mounted so the plasma and mount won't come crashing down.
post #190 of 328 Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't trust a 1/2" board without secure reinforcement (braces in rear) and some assurance that it is securely mounted, itself.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #191 of 328 Old 06-29-2006, 10:41 AM

Another question for the experts:

How do you successfully guestimate what length of cables you'll need when you are running behind a wall, into a crawlspace and up on another wall?

I'm planning on running cables for my flat panel from one wall, down through the crawlspace and into the adjacent wall. If I measure the distances out its approximately 5' to the floor and 12' run over to the wall and 1' up the wall with 2' of cable outside the wall to run to the equipment. About 20' total distance.

How much of a "fudge" factor do you allow for under the crawlspace? 10%, 20%, 50%?
post #192 of 328 Old 07-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

RoseRX,

I had the same problem, and had to purchase new lag bolts as well. They worked fine. How did you install your power? I wired a new outlet behind my LCD with romex all to code, and purchased a Monster Power surge protector. It's a low profile one that plugs into the outlet and then you plug the LCD into it. It's rated at 1100 Joules. I checked out the PanaMax In-Wall outlet that everybody is referring to, but it says its only rated at 675 Joules. Anyway I hope that 1100 is enough.

What do u guys mean that the bolt snapped? I screwed mine in and nothing seemed to go wrong. Will I definetly know if my bolts have snapped? Thanks.
post #193 of 328 Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo77 View Post

What do u guys mean that the bolt snapped? I screwed mine in and nothing seemed to go wrong. Will I definetly know if my bolts have snapped? Thanks.

Generally, you should pre-drill a pilot whole for a lag bolt so it doens't split the 2x4 behind the wall or snap off the bold head.

Yes - you'd know it if busted the bolt head off.

Erik
post #194 of 328 Old 08-02-2006, 07:24 AM

I want to wall mount a 32 inch Vizio LCD. The desired location is somewhat midway between wood studs at 16" O.C. I want a slight tilt down and slight swivel to the left.
Question: Since the articulating mount that I might use is meant for hitting one stud only,
Can I mount 3/4"X 12"High X 20" Wide pine to the surface of the gyp bd. and anchor securely into studs? This way I can mount the mount at a location on the pine. Wire management will probably surface until I decide to get inventive with that. Thanks
post #195 of 328 Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
kbp

IMO, yes. Not a bad idea, if the appearance is acceptable to you (and yours, if applicable )
post #196 of 328 Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 AM

I am trying to mount my 50" plasma on an articulating CHIEF mount in the center of my wall. Problem is, my wall has a center stud. If it were drywall, I'd just carve it out, add horizontal stud braces and move on. But it's f----g plaster lathe. I was set on mounting this in the center of the wall, but I know plastering is an art. Anyone have any less invasive or less difficult solutions?
post #197 of 328 Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Hi Folks,

Have many of you mounted your lcd / plasma to a metal studs? I was planning on using the wall between by livingroom and bedroom. The wall consists of sheetrock --> metal stud --> sheetrock.

My question is I want to mount a 42" panny 60 or 600 to the wall (approx 100lbs with mount). If I span the mount across 2 studs will it be sufficient to hold the unit? Will the wall start to pull to one side or begin to bow?

Because of the location I wanted to use an articulating mount so I could pull out the tv and turn it approx 45 degress so I can watch it while in the kitchen. Will this extra stress on the metal studs be ok or should I stick to a mount that does not extend from the wall.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thx
post #198 of 328 Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 AM

I have the same problem. How to mount 42in plasma (100lbs) + mount (25lbs) to metals studs behind drywall. ANY help would be great!!!!! Not sure how strong the metals studs are.
post #199 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 966
^^^^ Use toggle bolts and go through the metal studs. Allow the end in the wall to rest on the metal stud. I have done it on many installs. We do not subcontract our installations here, that is why I am secure about giving advise.

Disclaimer: Always mount at your own risk. I know I can make this work, but every situation requires thought and on board trouble shooting!

I installed 2 Philips 42" yesterday and it turned out pretty good. This was into solid Oak though.
post #200 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad to see this thread still kicking.

Anyway for those mounting flat to the wall you need to remember that most, if not all, weight will be down the wall towards the floor...not away from the wall towards the opposing wall.

Those with articulating mounts...ignore what I just said.

Plaster stinks, btw, for mounting anything.
post #201 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM

Ok, folks my wife and I decided on the panasonic 50PX60U. The one stipulation my wife made was that the unit be wall mounted. Now, Im not super handy but I can measure, drill and cut molding - lets say intermediate stuff. Here are my 2 problems
1. Exterior wall. Has to be that way because of the layout of the living room.
2. Mounting area is between (2) 6ftx32inch windows approx 52 inches apart.
Inbetween these 2 windows are (3) 16inch studs. With one being exactly in the center between the windows.

Now how in the world and I going to get a solid anchor on 2 or more studs?
None of the mounts I have seen on-line really cover 32+ inches on the wall
Most bases for these mounts are around 25-27 inches. A few short of hitting
(2) or (3) studs. I have considered screwing (2) 33 inch 2x1's across the 3 studs and hitting them good with lag bolts and then screwing my plasma mount to the 2x1's

Is this the best approach?

PS house was built in '85 in Charlotte NC. What am I up against trying to
fish wire thru that exerior wall?

Thanks for any advise.

*** Update *** Using my stud finder I have determined that this exterior wall
indeed has Fireblocks Now granted I could get one of those 5ft flexable drill bits
and punch a hole in that fireblock actually big freaking hole as I need to run
the following. (1) HDMI/HDMI, (1) DVI/HDMI, (1) Component and (4) sets of
audio cables. Receiver only has dvd and tv input so All audio/video must run thru
the tv.
post #202 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 PM

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions. WE are planning on mounting our 50" plasma over our fireplace. It is wood burning and we do use it a fair amount. We've never noticed any excessive heat over the mantle. The opening over the mantle is pretty tight vertically about 30in increasing to 35in due to a sloped ceiling. The tv is about 29.5in. So when you facor in the depth of the mount, basically we'll be trying to mount a 29.5in tv into a 31in space. Do you think this is possible. Would using an articulating mount make this easier? i.e. pull out the mount past the mantle in order to attach tv and then adjust tv into place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #203 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^ Need pics. Every install is unique.

A tilt mount always being tilted may work, however I am not sure I understand 100%. What degree does the ceiling slope? Articulating arm may work also but will hold you off the wall a good distance.

Disclaimer: Always mount at your own risk. I know I can make this work, but every situation requires thought and on board trouble shooting!
post #204 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotorvision View Post

1. Exterior wall. Has to be that way because of the layout of the living room.
2. Mounting area is between (2) 6ftx32inch windows approx 52 inches apart.
Inbetween these 2 windows are (3) 16inch studs. With one being exactly in the center between the windows.

Use a Sanus VMPL mount (spans 32") and you will have to mount the plate off center. The Lags must use the first screw slot and then 16" in put the other lags and yes 10" will overhang unsupported but that is OK as long as the lags have a good bite. TV will have to be set to the extreme opposite side but should be able to be centered in the center of opening. If this will not get you dead center another option is use the center stud and mount in the center of the plate and use toggle bolts on each end. As always give it the hang test when you are done. Hang from the mount, it it can support you it will support a screen. (of corse since you may be using toggle bolts apply a lot of pressure, not your full weight.)

post #205 of 328 Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 PM
j7f

did this myself in late june...
got it up and mounted on the metal studs...
will put up some illus and step by step instructions regarding what i did...

it's very cool...

it's late, and i'm tired.
so, give me over the next couple of days...

-j
post #206 of 328 Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Hey Cleveland Plasma--I'm attepmting to post a couple pics of our install issues. Can you give me any info on the safety of fireplace mounting? That wall is the only option other than the wall the old tv is on, and we don't like that location. Also, I have a question about the routing of the a/c cord, HDMI, component and audio cables. Can I run them all together or do they need to be separate? Any clarification would help. Thanks alot
LL
LL
post #207 of 328 Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ Looks like a tilt mount would gain the distance you need. It will probably have less of a tilt option though. I would recommend cutting a piece of cardboard out the exact size of the tv at the back and putting it were the mount will go. The Sanus VMPL will hold you 2.5" off the wall to begin with. I would also use Tapcon Screws in the brick, however if you brick is to hard go into the mortar. As always give it the hang test when you are done. Hang from the mount, it it can support you it will support a screen.

Disclaimer: Always mount at your own risk. I know I can make this work, but every situation requires thought and on board trouble shooting! When in dought contact a custom installer.
post #208 of 328 Old 08-12-2006, 05:23 AM

Liked: 13
Need to mount a 42" panny on a wall. My stud finder finds studs, but when I drill there I just find space behind the dry wall/sheet rock or whatever it is. It is not plaster.

There do not appear to be any studs directly behind my wall.

I have about 17" of clearance between the wall and the foot of the bed. The plasma furniture I see around is too deep.

Any suggestions on how I can get my plasma up without studs OR some thin funiture I can put it on?
post #209 of 328 Old 08-12-2006, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All walls, or at least the ones I have ever seen, have studs at 16 or 12" OC (on center). You may be getting a false reading from your stud finder due to electrical wiring. You do have studs...that I can guarantee.
post #210 of 328 Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard View Post

Need to mount a 42" panny on a wall.

I have about 17" of clearance between the wall and the foot of the bed. The plasma furniture I see around is too deep ... OR some thin funiture I can put it on?

If you (or your significant other) demand that the plasma sit on "real" furniture, you may just need to be a bit more creative in searching -- instead of just looking at "entertainment centers," search for sofa tables, dining room buffets or side boards that are often 16-18" deep. Sometimes these items are also a bit higher than TV stands, so you won't have to lift your neck to see over the foot of your bed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page