How To Wall Mount A Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After getting and reading questions concerning mounting a PDP on drywall I decided to post this thread as a guideline. Naturally, people's setups will be different, I am just relaying what I have learned.

Basic Tools You Will Need:
Drywall Saw/Utility Knife
Stud Finder
Level
Electricians Fish Tape (http://www.smarthome.com/images/9066lbig.jpg)
Tape Measure
Drill
Drill Bit (depends on size of lag bolts)

The first thing you need to decide is where you want to place the unit and where the STB's are going to be located. Mine are right underneath the plasma so I'll relate my experiences as they pertain to that. Be aware, placing the unit on an exterior wall (ie one with insulation in it) will be more difficult than an interior wall if you plan on running the wires inside the wall space. Once you find the wall that you want to place the unit, you need to find the studs for the lag screws (I used 3/8x2½ to account for the thickness of the drywall the mount and to still get a good bite into the stud). I highly recommend that you find the studs in the wall first as not every mount will be setup to account for offsets from the center of the wall. There are mounts available that you can adapt so that the unit will still be centered even if the studs do not line up that way.

Once you find the studs, I would then recommend that you cut out a template from a piece of cardboard the size of the panel that you are getting to be able to get the proper height of the display. For example, we have a peerless flat wall mount, the holes for the screws that go into the plasma are 6 ½ from the bottom of the display. I wanted the bottom of the display to be at ~ 40 for the center of the unit to be eye-level. Just take 40 and add 6 ½ to it and you're pretty close to the height that the mount has to be placed on the wall for the PDP to be at the level you prefer. Make four holes in the cardboard template to make marks on the wall where the lag screws will go for the mount ensure that these holes line up with the mount. Place the cardboard template at the height you want (make sure it's level) and mark the holes on the wall over the studs.

Now you need to decide if the wires are going inside the wall or on the outside. If on the outside, there are wire/cable management raceways available that will attach to the wall with a cover that snaps into place. If the wires (NOT POWER) are going to be run on the inside of the wall you will then need a drywall saw/utility knife to be able to cut holes in the sheet rock. Every mount I have seen will have punch-outs in the sheet metal for the owner to run the cables. Line up your mount with the screws and trace the opening that you have decided on for the cables then using the level make another hole at the bottom of the wall. To pretty up the holes you can use two low voltage in-wall cabling boxes and Leviton Modular Wall Plates. They make inserts for these wall plates for composite, RCA, telephone, etc. They look very professional.

NOTE: You should not run the power cord inside a wall cavity as it is against NEC and can be a potentially dangerous situation, not to mention that you will probably void your homeowners insurance if something were to happen. Posters have gotten around doing this by either having installed/installing a clock outlet behind the plasma mount and getting a shorter power cord or running a wire conduit on the outside of the wall and putting the power cord through that to the wall plate. Mine is run down the outside of the wall in a raceway with the video cables on the inside of the wall.

Get ready to mount the mount, sorry about that one, by pre-drilling the four holes for the lag screws (if using 3/8 dia screws use a ¼ drill bit for the pre-drilling). Make sure you go deep enough but not too deep as you don't want a hole all the way through the stud. Put the mount up and hold in place by using a lag screw in opposite corners. Don't tighten at this point as it'll be easier to line up the other holes. Once all the lag screws have been turned in a tad, tighten em down. Screw the mounting bolts that came with the wall mount into the panel, take off the handles and have someone assist you into lifting onto the mount. It should drop down a tad to lock the mounting bolts into slots on the mount. Hookup the cables/power and finish everything off (hook-ups to STB's installing wall plates, etc.)

That's about all there is to it. It really isn't that difficult. Probably the most difficult part is making sure the mount is level and at the correct height. You could run romex to the clock outlet if you want the power cord to be hidden without using a raceway. But I leave electrical work to a qualified electrician...something about volts scares me.

Hope it helps.

Rich

Rich McGirr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich, nice write-up. Should be very helpful to those that have not yet mounted theirs.

Here is a tip for finding the center of the studs.

After locating the stud locations with a stud finder, you will need to ensure that you are mounting into the center of the studs. An easy way to do this is as follows:

Tools:
Hammer
Finishing Nail
Pencil

Using the finish nail, hammer this nail into the wall partially until you hit the stud. Pull the nail out and move to the side about 1/4 inch and repeat. Continue to do this until you hammer the nail into drywall only and you will know that you are no longer in front of the stud. Do the same on both sides. Find the center between the two holes where you nailed into nothing but drywall and mark with the pencil. Now you can be confident that you are in the center of the stud and not off to one side where you could risk splitting the wood.

You should do this in an area that will covered by your mount so you wont need to patch and paint.

This may seem like overkill but is a quick and easy way to ensure that your plasma wont be falling to the floor anytime soon. The instructions for my mount were very specific that I was going into the center of the stud. Considering the diameter of the lag screws, I wanted to make sure I did follow that instruction.

-Brian
post #3 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM

For a few more walk-throughs (with pics) click here

Give me your tired, your hungry, your pixelated.
Plasma Extreme
plasmaextreme.us
post #4 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Excellent instructions.

Can you post a picture of your plasma wall mounted and the raceway for your cables and power cord.
post #5 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

"NOTE: You should not run the power cord inside a wall cavity as it is against NEC and can be a potentially dangerous situation, not to mention that you will probably void your homeowners insurance if something were to happen"

Yes, it's against the NEC, but NO, it won't affect your homeowner's insurance unless they can prove a fire started in your TV's power cord, which is extremely unlikely if you use care in installing it.
post #6 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM

One consideration that I encountered that I don't believe has been mentioned is power surge protection...

Without mounting, all your A/V, including your TV would naturally plug into a power surge protector extending from the wall outlet...But if you mount your TV on the wall and install a clock outlet on the wall for the TV, then there's not a way to protect you tv from power surge...

One way to get around this dellima is to install a power surge protected, hospital grade outlet where your current outlet is and tap of that source for your clock outlet as well.. so now your protecting your a/v components with a surge protector and still getting protection for your TV thru the clock outlet on the wall..
post #7 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike4HDTV
Excellent instructions.

Can you post a picture of your plasma wall mounted and the raceway for your cables and power cord.

Thanks guys.

My cables (interconnects) run in the wall, the power cord is the only one in the raceway...pics in my gallery [edit: it's here. You can just barely see the raceway running down from the middle of the screen.]

Quote:

Originally posted by steuert
Yes, it's against the NEC, but NO, it won't affect your homeowner's insurance unless they can prove a fire started in your TV's power cord, which is extremely unlikely if you use care in installing it

I said "if something should happen" and should have clarified with "if something should happen that would cause the power cord to start a fire". FWIW, I do know of posters who choose to ignore NEC, I'm not one of them though.

RE: Power surge protector

Yup, forgot about that one...it's also one of the reasons I chose to not do the clock outlet gig. I have a Tripplite (LCR 2400, it's a surge as well as power conditioner) that the plasma (and everything else, except the receiver) is plugged into. FWIW, I also have a whole house surge protector installed as well. Can't have enough protection is my credo.

Also if you're running a dedicated outlet (I had one done) you can get a surge protection breaker and insert that in your electrical panel.

Rich McGirr

post #8 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 AM

Getting ready to mount mine as well. Planning on running all the cords through the wall.

The power cord I plan on running through some flexible conduit (metal) that I'll snake through the wall behind the panel and coming out a few inches north of the outlet.

I too have a surge protector/line conditioner I want to have my plasma run through, and don't want ANY cords showing.

Will let you know how it goes.
post #9 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I ended up putting my TH-42PD25U power cable in the wall. I considered installing an outlet and surge protection, but the extra time, difficulty and expense led me to the route I chose - now it just plugs into my surge protector with the rest of my components. I mean, really - one way or the other you have a cable in the wall delivering electricity to the plasma. What difference does it make whether it's the unit's power cable or a piece of cheap contractor grade electrical wire? At least with my method there aren't even any exposed electrical contacts inside the wall like there would be with an outlet.

TH-42PD25U

post #10 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ahhh, but the outlet is supposed to be housed in a high-voltage electrical box...not just hanging on the sheetrock.

But if you're happy with it, and it sounds like you are, then that's all that matters.

I'm just giving a little advice for those who may be looking.

Rich McGirr

post #11 of 328 Old 01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rmcgirr83
Ahhh, but the outlet is supposed to be housed in a high-voltage electrical box...not just hanging on the sheetrock.

I know, but I have to make myself feel OK about it somehow!

Actually I'm not worried about mine at all. I was in my house almost every day while it was being built and I know exactly what is in that part of the wall(nothing but insulation). I ran the speaker wire in there before the sheetrock was up. I can totally understand others not being comfortable with it, especially if you have an older house or are not sure what is inside the wall.

And before someone asks why I didn't just have the outlet installed during construction - I thought it was going to be a lot longer before I got a plasma and didn't want an electrical outlet in the middle of my wall for that long. The price and performance of the Panasonic won me over much sooner than I thought.

post #12 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 05:59 AM

I am looking at buying either the Pannasonic TH-50PX25U or the Sony KDE-50XS955. Once I get the tv I want to wall mount it. I have seen a number of sites which sell Plasma wall mounts.

Does anyone know if I have to be sure and buy a plasma mount which is specific for the make/model of the tv? I have seen Sony selling plasma mounts for the KDE-50XS955, but the price is around $400. I see aftermarket mounts for around $150.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

---
Jack
post #13 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some mounts are specific to the model of the plasma...some are universal.

The aftermarket mounts are just as good, it's sheetmetal not processors.

Rich McGirr

post #14 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Excellent write up Rich!

-JR

post #15 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 03:50 PM

Nice thread here for mounting plasmas, certainly enjoyed reading and viewing everything.
post #16 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM

Anyone have any idea how to do the same with plaster walls? Stud finders will not work unfortunately....

I am trying to avoid mounting to the A/V furniture if I can. TV is too low on the table stand.
post #17 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jedwards
Anyone have any idea how to do the same with plaster walls? Stud finders will not work unfortunately....

I am trying to avoid mounting to the A/V furniture if I can. TV is too low on the table stand.

Search and Ye shall find

Rich McGirr

post #18 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Great thread on mounting.....Just what I needed for my installation.
post #19 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup. Great thread rmcgirr83.
post #20 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again guys.

Rich McGirr

post #21 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 PM

its gonna be hard to tell from the pitcure from camera phone...but i have run the HDMI cable and AC cord down a PVC pipe through the wall...I think this does not violate any code...cause the wires are in the PVC cavity...any feedback?
LL
post #22 of 328 Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 PM

I may be wrong, but I think that you would be ok if it is electrical pvc, usually grey in color and not just the standard white used for water.
post #23 of 328 Old 01-21-2005, 07:48 PM

I bought the visio plasma and went down to CC to get a monster surge protector (ht700 1850 joules). The sales clerk? advised me that it is not wise to plug any plasma tv into a surge protector unless it is the $300 version specially designed for plasma t.v.'s? He said it had something to do with the plasma needing to be heated and needing a direct power connection.

I bought the plasma to save money and now this is throwing a huge wrench in my plans.

Does ANYONE have any knowledge on this subject?

My house has decent power but is in a rapidly developing area and the good ole power company keeps knocking out the power in the area.

Please HELP!

i strive to figure out what the heck i am doing
post #24 of 328 Old 01-22-2005, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mwofsd
I bought the visio plasma and went down to CC to get a monster surge protector (ht700 1850 joules). The sales clerk? advised me that it is not wise to plug any plasma tv into a surge protector unless it is the $300 version specially designed for plasma t.v.'s? He said it had something to do with the plasma needing to be heated and needing a direct power connection.

I bought the plasma to save money and now this is throwing a huge wrench in my plans.

Yes, ignore what the sales clerk told you.

FWIW, I have my plasma plugged into a Tripplite LCR 2400 and it seems to become "heated" just fine. FWIW, the Tripplite is designed more for network applications than for HT.

Rich McGirr

post #25 of 328 Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Originally posted by halo0
I ended up putting my TH-42PD25U power cable in the wall. I considered installing an outlet and surge protection, but the extra time, difficulty and expense led me to the route I chose - now it just plugs into my surge protector with the rest of my components. I mean, really - one way or the other you have a cable in the wall delivering electricity to the plasma. What difference does it make whether it's the unit's power cable or a piece of cheap contractor grade electrical wire? At least with my method there aren't even any exposed electrical contacts inside the wall like there would be with an outlet.

TH-42PD25U

I saw a large firey spark from my wife's iron when she was ironing my work shirt. I would trust the romex over the power cord from the manufacturer any day!

As for the exposed electrical contacts, a properly mounted electrical box will take car of that, just like all the other outlets in your home.
post #26 of 328 Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Originally posted by mwofsd

My house has decent power but is in a rapidly developing area and the good ole power company keeps knocking out the power in the area.

Please HELP!

I good metal boxed surge protector is all you really need for a plasma.

Pleeeeeze do not take the salesmans word for anything. Remember there is a Manager harassing him all the time for the extra sales with unethical lies so he(the manager) can make his bonus.
post #27 of 328 Old 01-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Why don't you call Monster and ask about which surge protector will be best w/ your Plasma?

I know I have personally removed a hts3500 and a hts2500 from a customer's system due to it causing or allowing extra grain and interference
into the picture.

That salesperson could be full of crap or maybe he's special and was looking out for your best interests.

That's all I have to say.

Great Thread. If you are comfortable w/ the tools and cutting up your wall this is a great way to save some money. Most people will just hire someone.
post #28 of 328 Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Can anyone provide a link to one of these 'hospital grade' outlets with surge protection? I've tried finding them via google but have not been able to...

Nevermind, found 'em! http://www.smarthomepro.com/865130.html

post #29 of 328 Old 03-04-2005, 09:01 PM

So I got my 42inch Panny the other day with a wall mount. Once I started drilling where I found the studs, I ended up hitting metal studs, (I live in a military dormitory). I went to the hardware store and the burliest toggle bolt I could find was only 1/4".

Of course I couldn't resist mounting it asap, so I bought them and mounted it up. My wallplate has room for 4 bolts, and one of the toggle mechanisms actually jammed up some how and is stuck, and I was not able to get it out so that 4th screw which is on the bottom of the mount, is not helping that mouch. Though I do have 3 bolts that firmly anchored.

Do you guys think this will be enough to hold a Panny 42PWD7UY? I beared down on the plate before hanging the plasma and it definetely feels solid. I am just worried about over time.

I am curious if you guys know of a better method for mounting into those awful metal studs. Thanks!
post #30 of 328 Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattsoft
Can anyone provide a link to one of these 'hospital grade' outlets with surge protection? I've tried finding them via google but have not been able to...

Nevermind, found 'em! http://www.smarthomepro.com/865130.html

Can you tell me how much the Levitron surge protector cost? I couldn't get a price on the website.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page