Official New Panny thread: 42PD50, PX50, PX500 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also looking at the remote for the 50u, it has half the amount of buttons and i dont see any pip buttons either, the whole set is looking more like my Akai i had for a week, small useless remote,made in mexico...etc
I'm sure panny didnt build a whole new plant they just added a line at the samsung plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as remotes go w/ any product I rec'd "every" customer get a good universal learning remote and never worry or deal w/ a multitude of mediocre remotes again period. It is almost always worth it in time saved and convenience.
I am serious every enthusiast should consider a single all purpose remote unless by chance their current remote does everything (unlikely).
post #93 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

Originally posted by AdilM
As far as remotes go w/ any product I rec'd "every" customer get a good universal learning remote and never worry or deal w/ a multitude of mediocre remotes again period. It is almost always worth it in time saved and convenience.
I am serious every enthusiast should consider a single all purpose remote unless by chance their current remote does everything (unlikely).

So true.

I've been helping someone put together a system. They've spent thousands of dollars putting together a plasma, surround receiver, cable box, DVD/VCR, surround sound. And now they are balking at the idea of spending the money for a decent universal remote. "Ah, maybe we'll think about that later."

I'm trying to make them realize that, after all that work and setting up a complex system, you really drop the ball at the last minute by not making your interaction with all that equipment smooth, easy and comfortable...instead of the multi-remote nightmare.
post #94 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree and with a JP1 remote, you can program it from your computer!

However, I believe in this case, they were pointing out the lack of PIP to make us think that was one more feature they took out of the 50U...not just the remote!

Quote:

Originally posted by AdilM

post #95 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

For those who missed the original CES picture of the 42PD50U, here is a high resolution image that you can zoom in on. It is obvious from this picture that there was not going to be any front inputs.

TH-42PD50U High Resolution Image
post #96 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Is it possible the inputs are on the side as they are with the Dell plasma?

I'm really bummed about this, and might buy the 42pa from Costco now.
post #97 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Inputs on the back of the 42PD50.
post #98 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

...and I called the number in the 50U online manual and they confirmed...no Cable Card! I looked at the manual and see NO PIP at all. What the heck is Panny thinking? Perhaps a 25U on closeout may be the way to go! Just make the dealer think...oh gee, for a good price I will "take" the old one.

For our Bedroom it is looking like the 25U has a few key features I was expecting the 50U to have.

Quote:

Originally posted by yobob
Inputs on the back of the 42PD50.

post #99 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are people talking about getting a 25U on closeout when you can purchase a TH-42PWD7UY for under $1900 shipped from more than one retailer? Even with a stand, you can find it for under $2,000 shipped.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here (I didn't list WHERE to find it), but I just don't understand why people would opt for the 25U for more $$? Does anyone need the built-in speakers? Will anyone NOT be using a HD box from their cable company or satellite provider (negating the need for the tuner)?

Personally, the only reason I might hold out for the new 50U is the sub-pixel control, since it doesn't seem to have ANY of the other features everyone was hoping for
post #100 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 PM

Just so you don't think we PA lovers are crazy...

Until sub-pixel is confimred on the PD50 (I'm doubtful), and until it's been reviewed as major improvement, the PD/PA25 offers more to 'typical consumer' right now.

Yes, I will be using Sat box, but want speakers so can watch stuff without powering up entire 5.1 system and waking the house.

Inputs on front important to me as I like to hook up my digicam to watch movies.

Last, buying PA model from Costco is getting multi-year warranty for free. Yes, it's about same as PD via on-line retailer, but don't need cable card or tuner (DTV offers tuner on thier HD boxes). Other than that, the same w/free warranty, just drop it off and pick up new one if I want.

Good luck whichever way you go...
post #101 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 02:37 PM

Of course the downside to the PA/PD 25 is that they are based on the 6th generation panel. The PD50 is at least 7th generation.
post #102 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM

You all keep forgetting the increased grayscale of the new pd50. That is a BIG DEAL!

The Mind is not a Vessel to be filled but a Fire to be Lit.
post #103 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jkozlow3
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why are people talking about getting a 25U on closeout when you can purchase a TH-42PWD7UY for under $1900 shipped from more than one retailer? Even with a stand, you can find it for under $2,000 shipped.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here (I didn't list WHERE to find it), but I just don't understand why people would opt for the 25U for more $$? Does anyone need the built-in speakers? Will anyone NOT be using a HD box from their cable company or satellite provider (negating the need for the tuner)?

Personally, the only reason I might hold out for the new 50U is the sub-pixel control, since it doesn't seem to have ANY of the other features everyone was hoping for

I hear what you are saying as I almost went the route of 7UY. Now owning the PD25, I've definitely appreciated the added features.

The wife and kids just need plain old sound and using a single remote to increase the volume of the attached speakers has been a benefit.

The ASTC tuner has also been useful. My cable company provides most major networks except for ABC. Adding a simple FM antenna to the B Antenna allowed me to pick up ABC OTA.

I also see increased picture quality from cable directly into the unit. Thanks to the QAM tuner, I'm able to get all my non-digital stations and all unscrambled HD stations. Having the cablecard gives me the option of getting the best picture quality and all stations that I subscribe to.

I plan on connecting my STB via HDMI to see if I can bring up the quality close to straight cable. Also an added benefit of the consumer model.

I guess in the end, flexibility has been the added value for me.

BTW - Excellent PQ, Stunning HD and great SD. We'll see if the new units have a noticable increase in PQ. I hope so because I will need another plasma in about six months. Probably a 50" this time

Just my .02

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #104 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

YES! For a bedroom I want the speakers and tuner built it. One of our local places is trying to have me upgrade to a Hitachi 42HDT51 as they said he just bought a bunch of them at a great price and it is full HD. However, my concern is that I "think" an ED is better if 90% of viewing is ReplayTV and SD.

Quote:

post #105 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Liked: 12
If these panels really do last for 60,000 hours, then eventually today's PDP will be relocated to another room in your house somewhere down the road. Consumer PDPs that include speakers, tuners and CableCARD provide a lot of relocation flexibility.
post #106 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

OK, so I decided to search for info about the TH-42PD50U one more time. I figure things must have changed since I last did an exhaustive search about one hour ago

This statement by panny is so boggling... What in blazing saddles did panny mean with such a statement (with respect to the 50u)???

Quote:

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2005) - Panasonic, the leader in high definition and plasma TV, once again demonstrates its commitment to exceed expectations with its new line of plasma displays. The company is introducing six digital models for 2005, all with integrated ATSC1/NTSC/QAM tuners and all featuring the latest plasma panel technology for unsurpassed performance.

post #107 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM

i think panasonic would have done much better by keeping the features with the newer glass and just charge what they charged for last years models at least we would feel like were getting something substantial that way, and not losing anything...i think we americans think differently we always want more...
post #108 of 5649 Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone seen a good explanation of just what "sub-pixel control" really does for you? To me it sounds like marketing-speak. They obviously already control the sub-pixels (RGB) separately, or they couldn't do colours. I can imagine them changing the way they process the border pixels between colours, so the sub-pixels nearest the other colour are adjusted to smooth the transition, but how do they come up with a 30% increase in resolution without adding pixels??

As for SDE, my (limited) understanding is that it's based on the interpixel borders, i.e. the black space between the pixels (the tops of the walls, so to speak). Unless that's changed, I don't see how SDE could be improved.

Am I out to lunch (quite possible)? What am I missing?

edit: P.S. jspirate, the red statement sounds like more marketing fluff. Only politicians are better at saying nothing so impressively.

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #109 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The reason I'm considereing a 37" 25u over a 7uy is this will be a TV for me, not in my home theater. I dont want surround sound with external speakers, and the built in atsc tuner will really come in handy since I dont have HD direcTv yet (cant give up my Tivo and wont pay $1000 for the hd one). Also I really want the 37" size since I'm trying to move down my tv size. (Yes I said DOWN lol). Right now I have a 53" and it just takes up too much space in the living room. If I want big I'll watch my projector at 106".
post #110 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Does anyone need the built-in speakers? Will anyone NOT be using a HD box from their cable company or satellite provider (negating the need for the tuner)?

Well, I wish the built-in speakers could be removed from my 42PD25U, but I love many of its other extra features, especially its built-in tuner.

While I can't get a decent analog OTA signal where I live (excessive multi-path), my digital picture is flawless, even on low VHF, using my ancient antenna. (I know, not everyone is so fortunate.)

I subscribe to D*, but hardly watch it anymore. At this stage, I can't see buying another D* box, paying to install a new D* antenna, and spending another $11/mo. to add 4 or 5 HD channels that I'd only occasionally watch. The built-in tuner is the perfect solution for me until D* adds more HD content or they decide to improve their upgrade incentives to existing customers. Maybe by then their HD digital recorder won't be so outrageously priced.

In the meantime, I can enjoy a lot of HD content OTA, free. When I finally do get a new HD satellite receiver, I'll be able to connect it to my HDMI input and won't have to buy an additional blade. Or maybe I'll switch to digital cable, and take advantage of the cable card. The tuner gives me the luxury of being able to wait for the cable/satellite HD market to evolve before I commit to anything.

The 25U includes a full one year in home manufacturer's warranty backed by a reliable local B&M, too, which the commercial version does not match. After watching friends cope with a series of series of QC issues with their new plasma (albeit, not a Panasonic), this seemed valuable to me.

The 7UY certainly is a great choice, but for many of us the consumer version is even better.
post #111 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 03:14 PM

hey how about everyone emailing panasonic to get an official statement on what exactly th 42pd50u have and doesnt have feature wise. the features i want to know about is.

1) what generation glass is it?
2) what tuners does it have?
3) i know this has been beaten to the ground but i want to hear it from the horses mouth, does it or doesnt it have the cable card slot?
4) does it have 3:3 pulldown? i am not sure if i worded that right.
5) does it have sub pixel control?
6) will it be capable of 8.6 billion colors?
7) what does it do with a 720p signal?
post #112 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by david8613
hey how about everyone emailing panasonic to get an official statement on what exactly th 42pd50u have and doesnt have feature wise. the features i want to know about is.

3) i know this has been beaten to the ground but i want to hear it from the horses mouth, does it or doesnt it have the cable card slot?

OK I gave it a shot. For item 4 it should be 3:2 pull down.

I added 8) oes it remember uniqe settings for each input.

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #113 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I e-mailed them last Sunday, but I didn't ask all of the questions listed above. I asked about the sub pixel control and whether or not there was a cable card slot. I don't think it the 50u has a cable card slot, but I asked ayway.

No response yet.
post #114 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:11 PM

kool jcpzero, i saw something on the pioneer 4340 having something called 3:3, i have heard about 3:2 pulldown so i figured 3:3 would be better.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...600334,00.html
post #115 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 PM

To add to further conflicting information, manager at a local store talked to his panasonic rep for me today and was told that the pd50u would in fact have the cablecard and the tuners. You'd think a rep would know his stuff, so maybe we'll all be happy afterall...

Just 12 days and I'll be able to find out for myself. Is anyone getting theirs sooner than the 22nd?

Mangelo
post #116 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:35 PM

mangelo did you mention to the manager about the conflicting reports were getting? did ge say he is absolutely sure?
post #117 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

kool jcpzero, i saw something on the pioneer 4340 having something called 3:3, i have heard about 3:2 pulldown so i figured 3:3 would be better.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...600334,00.html

You are absolutely correct about Pioneer and 3:3. But, most other manufactures (including Panasonic) only have 3:2 (or in the case of 50u possibly the feature is not included).

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #118 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 PM

do you know the difference between the 2...
post #119 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 PM

I looks like the date has been confirmed by most people from B&M's that the 42PD50U will be in-stores on 3/22. Has anyone heard of the delivery date for the 42PX50U? I see where it is in April. Will it be the beginning of the month or more toward the end? Just curious if anyone has heard. I would assume that it would closely follow behind the PD50 and come out early April.
post #120 of 5649 Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I see no mention of PIP. When was the last time a non PIP (not a monitor) was made?

I may have a Circuit City that will deal, but I now wonder if the OLD 42pd25u is even worth it if the 50U comes thru with the features we had expected!

Quote:

mangelo did you mention to the manager about the conflicting reports were getting? did ge say he is absolutely sure?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page