Official New Panny thread: 42PD50, PX50, PX500 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok i need some advice guys i cant take it anymore with this whole pd50u thing, i already preordered the pd50u and since it looks like its missing features i want like the cable card, even though there are different reports of this. i have an oppurtunity to get one of the last few pd25u available in my area, should i cancel my preorder and dump the pd50u so i can get the pd25u, i am tired of looking at my laurial plasma table with nothing on it "look at my gallery" i am ready to buy now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, a B&M. They are in Wash.,OR, and California. They have been running a very good ad. They had a few left and the salesman I spoke to said he just returned from vacation and he would make me a killer deal if I would wait. I have bought many times from them.

I got it delivered and set up less than an hour ago. I can't begin to count the dead Pixels...there are none!

I think that is all I will say about this here (PM) but they just got their shipment in and they have a ton of them...actually I bet they have more than a ton by weight!

Quote:

Originally posted by wassim17
Mpsan, did you buy your Hitachi at a brick and mortar store for that price, and if so, how did you get it at such a discount?

post #183 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by david8613
are you positive about the 25u and it having the 60k half life panel?

Yup.

Read Below

Quote:

Originally posted by henryd31
That's not what I see looking at the specs of the pwd6uy vs pwd7uy
on the Panasonic web site. Since pd25u was based on the same glass as
pwd6uy it had the same older specs - do you possibly mean 60K hour life time and not 60K hour half life, that's a big difference ?
Now, if Panasonic started using the same glass in pd25u after the
commercial unit was introduced, and never bothered to update the model
number, I'd be happy to learn that.

Unfortunately you CANNOT rely on the info in the Panasonic's website. Just like any other site, there's a lot of mistakes and outdated info once and while.

I meant 60k half time.

Read Below

Quote:

Originally posted by Macfan424
Panasonic seems to think so. In November 2004, well before the 50U's were announced, they issued a White Paper entitled "Plasma Myths and Facts," in which they stated "Panasonic plasmas have a half brightness rating of 60,000 hours..."

Check out the Brochure for the Panasonic "6UY" Models introduced around August 2003 :

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...H-50PHD6UY.pdf

Page 3:

Long-Life Panel
Panasonic plasma display panels boast a long service life of
approximately 60,000 hours.*

* The time until panel brightness is reduced to half its initial level. However, this time varies
depending on the content of the images displayed and the usage environment. Displaying a
single still image for long periods should be avoided because it can cause the image to be
burnt onto the screen, leaving a permanent afterimage. (The service life given above is
intended as a guideline when displaying standard moving images.)

The "PD25/PX25" Consumer models are based on the same 6th Generation Panel

post #184 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ok i need some advice guys i cant take it anymore with this whole pd50u thing, i already preordered the pd50u and since it looks like its missing features i want like the cable card, even though there are different reports of this. i have an oppurtunity to get one of the last few pd25u available in my area, should i cancel my preorder and dump the pd50u so i can get the pd25u, i am tired of looking at my laurial plasma table with nothing on it "look at my gallery" i am ready to buy now...

I don't remember the original panny release making the cable card issue so clear. I swear they changed it, but anyway I am as certain as I have been that there will not be a cable card slot on the pd50u (grrrr, I was gonna provide a link but the panny site is off-line).

Anyway, I have been back and forth on the issue, but I am leaning toward keeping the panny. I want the 720p input capability and the 25u doesn't have it. I guess there is an argument to made as to whether or not its necessary on an ED model, but I buy into the side that says that there is value to it.

Anyway, I think its worth waiting a little while before you drop the pd50u. *shrug*
post #185 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 PM

did anyone figure out what generation glass the pd50u has, right now my mind is leaning towards the pd25u, someone mentioned about new circuits in the new panny please elaborate, i am looking for a reason to stay with the pd50u but at this point nothing has lead me to believe that its worth giving up all the features of the 25u. by the way guys i just went to the panasonic site and its down right now, hopefully panasonic is updating the site to reveal what the pd50u truly has to offer if anything...
post #186 of 5649 Old 03-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Strange... it looks like panny is doing some work on the consumer side of their website. We can hope for more pd50u info

EDIT: opps, I didn't see that David's post pointed out that the panny site is down.
post #187 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 04:36 AM

it looks like they have not changed anything on the site, although i found by doing a search for the pd50u this little section, hit view televisions and you will see some pics of the newer models showing specs with subpixel control but no pd50u very wierd, why so secretive panasonic?

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...05/product.asp
post #188 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it looks like they have not changed anything on the site, although i found by doing a search for the pd50u this little section, hit view televisions and you will see some pics of the newer models showing specs with subpixel control but no pd50u very wierd, why so secretive panasonic?

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...05/product.asp

Very strange, very strange indeed....
post #189 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can't remember who said it but someone mentioned that R. Harkness had reviewed the Onyx, which reportedly has the sub-pixel control feature, and his comment was the the picture looked better with that feature turned off. Does anyone remember that comment, and could Mr. Harkness perhaps weigh in on the issue of whether the PD50 would benefit from the SPC feature??????
post #190 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tomboyter
I can't remember who said it but someone mentioned that R. Harkness had reviewed the Onyx, which reportedly has the sub-pixel control feature, and his comment was the the picture looked better with that feature turned off. Does anyone remember that comment, and could Mr. Harkness perhaps weigh in on the issue of whether the PD50 would benefit from the SPC feature??????

Better yet, go to your local "Tweeters" and verify the "sub-pixel controller" on/off feature for yourself.
post #191 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tomboyter

Well, I think in my mind I have become comfortable with the thought that if the "sub pixel controller" has been included in the pd50u that this would mean that the unit had the latest generation of glass. This is probably not a good assumption to make, but I am interested in what glass is offered in the pd50u more than I am about the pixel control. Would panny offer sub pixel control in anything but the latest generation of glass? If not I will be happy to have the option of turning the feature off because after flipping the switch the latest generation glass should be better than the previous generation? I don't really know if this is the case. I do know what happens when you start making assumptions
post #192 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...someone mentioned about new circuits in the new panny please elaborate.

I can't tell you much more than is in the 50U manual. It lists these three selectable features that were not in the 25U:

* MPEG NR Unique noise to DVD, STB etc. will be reduced. (sic) This may be similar to the filter used in external processors such as the iScan to remove the chroma bug, but it sounds different. Video NR also remains, although apparently it can no longer be set to engage automatically when the signal is weak.

* Black Level Select Light or Dark [Light: VIDEO/YUV 480i, Dark 480P (VGA)/1080i]. Valid only for external input signals. It seems to complement the Color Matrix, which is still there. The latter only works with 480p signals

* Color Management Color Mng On. Enable vivid color management automatically. This seems to have replaced the 25U circuit called Natural Color which was supposed to increase the color reproduction range with natural color gradation and highly delicate hues.

There are a host of changes in convenience feature circuits, too, some improvements, some deletions.
post #193 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Really good advice Optivity, however, no Tweeters, no store of any kind to view on in, no access to any of the new Panny's in my location, and still just too impatient.
post #194 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Even though the 50u hasn't been seen by anyone yet, I decided to go with my gut and I canceled my pre-order. This was after being 99% sure in my mind that all of the features that have been discussed are in fact going to be missing. The only feature that may be present would be the sub-pixel control with a newer glass and maybe a larger gray scale.

Somebody said it well earlier when they mentioned the 50u seemed to be a "budget" plasma compared even to the 25u. Unless the 50u had remarkably better PQ, I think I'd still have to look at it that way.

This decision was also based on the fact that I could get a really nice deal on the 25u at $2130. In my mind, I couldn't justify not pulling the trigger at that price, so I bought it.

I also picked up a Sony NS775 DVD player. I hope to use an HDMI cable from the STB to the Plasma and component from DVD to the plasma. Would anyone else do it differently for best PQ?

Mangelo
post #195 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 PM

i was just in best buy today to pick up the dvd the incrediables "good movie" anyway i noticed that they removed 2 plasmas from the shelves i guess they are making space for the new panasonic pd50u, but there was a second space available for another plasma not sure which brand, anyone now if any other plasma is due next week also?
post #196 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 08:11 PM

Ok, I live south of Boston, and I was just in Best Buy the other day, and one of the guys working there said they wouldn't be carrying ed plasmas any more, as they weren't selling nearly as well as their hds. He said he thought that most other bb's in the area would be doing the same, but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. Has anyone else encountered this?
post #197 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM

Wassim,

I think he's full of it. Unless Boston is very different from where I live in Wisconsin. The ED's have been doing very well here, especially the Panasonics. BB has hundreds coming there way here and circuit city had 250 in a warehouse in the region. Was he trying to sell you on purchasing an HD set?

Mangelo
post #198 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wassim17
Ok, I live south of Boston, and I was just in Best Buy the other day, and one of the guys working there said they wouldn't be carrying ed plasmas any more, as they weren't selling nearly as well as their hds. He said he thought that most other bb's in the area would be doing the same, but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about. Has anyone else encountered this?

Doesn't know what he is talking about. In Q4 2004, 58% of all Plasma displays sold in North America were ED displays.

Display Research
post #199 of 5649 Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 PM

No, he wasn't trying to sell me an hd, we were just discussing displays. Not all of the salesmen at BB know what they're selling, but I at least thought he'd know if his own products, if they had a shipment coming in like a week.
post #200 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mangelo
Even though the 50u hasn't been seen by anyone yet, I decided to go with my gut and I canceled my pre-order. T

Mangelo

Bummer Mangelo. I have decided to keep mine. There are a couple features I would like to see, but I have become comfortable with two things: the 720p input and the glass improvements. If to 50u does not improve on the previous generation's glass, I will re-evaluate. In my opinion (and needs), if these two features are present then they trump the features that the 25u offers.

Hey David, did you cancel your order also?
post #201 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 04:50 AM

no i havent cancelled my order yet decided to wait it out, i am sure they will have one on display before the 22nd when my set comes. i will decide then when i see it first hand, the worst thing that can happen is i wont like the pd50u and the other sets prices will drop... the best thing that can happen is i will love it and take it home. though i am thinking about putting a little more money together and maybe get 50" comericial hd model if i cant find a set with all the features i want for my original price range 2500.00. i have waited this long i can wait a little longer, my infocus 4805 projector will have to hold me over in the mean time...
post #202 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 07:12 AM

Ok, so it seems the ed version is the redheaded step child of the previous years. What about the hd versions. I know the manuals aren't up yet, but does anyone have any info on the px50?
post #203 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The PX50 will be like the PD50, except with the addition of CableCard, black bezel, and 768p native.

It is also definitely 8th generation, meaning sub-pixel control.
post #204 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 AM

Does anyone know when we'll see the PX50 or PX500? I thought the PX50 was coming with the PD50 and the 500 a few weeks later?

Any new info on these other than the original press release?
post #205 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Chisand
Does anyone know when we'll see the PX50 or PX500? I thought the PX50 was coming with the PD50 and the 500 a few weeks later?

Any new info on these other than the original press release?

No, the 37HD and 42ED models were scheduled to come out together. The other HD models will be released later. I personally doubt the 37HD will be released at the same time as the 50u.
post #206 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 01:42 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...82#post5224582

The new units are 7th gen panels made in Mexico and have been refined. They have enhanced features labeled in the link.
There has been a pricedrop across the board... applause here.
I understand some of the issues people are having w/ the EDTV model, but we all know EDTV will be phased out over time and the prices have come down.
These panels will be better and longer lasting than current models.
The "8th gen" panels when they occur will start at the top (Onyx) and trickle down. This is the way it has always been.

These are the imporant features across the board for those too lazy to link :

New Features:
7th Generation Panel
Sub-Pixel Controller
2048 Shades of Gradation
Over 8.58 Billion Colors
Color Purity Optimizer
Motion Pattern Noise Reduction
Super Real Gamma Circuit

Standard Features:
16:9 (Widescreen)
DTV Compatibility (1080i/480i/480p/ 720p returns)
HDMI-HDCP
Over 8.58 Billion Color
Asymmentrical Cell Structure
Mach Band Effect Enhancer
Gamma Enhancement System
2 S-Video or AV Inputs (1 on front)
2 Component Video Inputs
BBE ViVA HD3D Sound
Stereo Speakers
8W + 8W
AI Sound
Surround Sound
V-Chip Program Lockout
Sleep/On/Off Timers
Built-In CC Decoder
1536 Shades of Gradation
New Real Black Drive System
Remote Control
Pedestal Stand
Progressive Scan Doubler
Anti-Reflective Screen Coating
2400 Meter Altitude
post #207 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 02:05 PM

adilm would you say the pd50u is basically a commercial ed panny plasma panel with a silver bezel? or do you think the pd50u is a totally different animal? i noticed that you show 1 set of inputs on the front but from the pics of the unit and others on the forum mentioned that there is no inputs on the front of the pd50u, are you sure about that?
post #208 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AdilM

New Features:
7th Generation Panel
Sub-Pixel Controller
2048 Shades of Gradation
Over 8.58 Billion Colors
Color Purity Optimizer
Motion Pattern Noise Reduction
Super Real Gamma Circuit

Standard Features:
16:9 (Widescreen)
DTV Compatibility (1080i/480i/480p/ 720p returns)
HDMI-HDCP
Over 8.58 Billion Color
Asymmentrical Cell Structure
Mach Band Effect Enhancer
Gamma Enhancement System
2 S-Video or AV Inputs (1 on front)
2 Component Video Inputs
BBE ViVA HD3D Sound
Stereo Speakers
8W + 8W
AI Sound
Surround Sound
V-Chip Program Lockout
Sleep/On/Off Timers
Built-In CC Decoder
1536 Shades of Gradation
New Real Black Drive System
Remote Control
Pedestal Stand
Progressive Scan Doubler
Anti-Reflective Screen Coating
2400 Meter Altitude

I can't wait to get mine!!!

Anyway, I was at BB today and asked the sales guy when the 50u would be in. I did not tell him I had one on pre-order and that BB was delivering on 3-25-05. Anyway, the sales guy told me that he thought May was probably when it would be available. I told him that panny is supposed to be making them available for purchase at the end of this month. He said "Ahhhhh, then I would expect us to have them sometime around May." I said "OK, thank you" and then walked around the corner to check out the pannies currently on display. At that point I ran into another sales guy. We started the whole routine all over again with pretty much exactly the same results.

I left BB with a smile on my face. Maybe these guys have some info that I don't, but I think its more likely that they are just flying by the seat of their pants. Very funny indeed
post #209 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 PM

whats up with the two different shades of gradiation figures?
post #210 of 5649 Old 03-16-2005, 07:28 PM

The "Standard Features" are last year's consumer line.
I am assuming this is where the "front input" question came from?

The "New Features" represent changes across the board.
If you go to the link it shows individual features for each plasma.
It expects you to read the list of plasmas sequentially and see how the higher models improve on the one below.

I am expecting a "lot" of the EDTV in the last week of this month.
IMO (not any sort of official Panasonic Representative), I think the new consumer EDTV represents a refined and feature laden commercial model. Most of the "kinks" should be out.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page