post #2341 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

Whoa...that's the first time I've ever come close to seeing the Pirates lose in HD...sigh...no HD love for the Buccos in Pittsburgh...

Looks good Gman.

Not my pic... Optivity's (but my set looks the same!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Oops. Fixed it.
post #2343 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

Hey, I watched the Yankees last night on my 50px50u as well and have to say that games on YESHD through my SA8300 -HDMI- are absoulutely stunning.

I know... the game looked even better the night before during Giambi's 'walk-off' home run.

Quote:

I'm calling cablevision to get the CC today, I can't imagine a better PQ but if you say there is an improvement, I'm in.....

Gman

Great news... jump on the bandwagon... I believe you will soon share my 'dirty little secret' about our CATV providers; your panels renderings will most likely improve from what was stunning... to color renderings that are "dead on." Unfortunately, CC opens up a new can of technical worms... so be prepared for some smoke blowing to come your way; and it's not from Optivity.

Quote:

...side note, if anyone is on the fence re: screen size (any brand of PDP) I have only 1 thing to say: GO BIG, and then more. For kicks I sat 6ft away from my 50' during the game and it felt I was there in the field, full immersion, priceless.

Agreed. I'm thinking 65" the next time around.
post #2344 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 08:21 AM

Does anyone know the size of the wall mounting bolts used in the 42PD50U?
post #2345 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Good deal my fellow 50PX50U owner... My only regret now is I wish my panel were even BIGGER!

Some of you guys need to step up to the plate and start experimenting with the CableCARD interface. This is the only way to see how these panels can truly perform. In my case once the CableCARD was installed the panel went from rendering a great picture to one where the colors are dead-on! There is improvement for SD too. The downside is... most CATV providers seem to be technically challenged when delivering D* over DVI/HDMI/CableCARD so our results may vary.

Yeah - so far so good with the TV. I've been thinking about the cable card. Isn't there an issue with On-Demand though (i.e., doesn't support it)?
post #2346 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdinmd View Post

Yeah - so far so good with the TV. I've been thinking about the cable card. Isn't there an issue with On-Demand though (i.e., doesn't support it)?

CableCARD communication is currently one-way so none of the On-Demand, PPV or Program Guide Services are available. However, IMO the "vast" improvement in picture quality for less money per month more than compensates for the loss of these services.
post #2347 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It must be some kind of improvement to go without a program guide...I freak when I reboot the box and it takes a half hour to come back.

They need to get two-way card going...no guide or VOD seems like the stone ages especially when you're talking about a few thousand dollars for a display. Of course so does hooking up the bunny ears to get OTA.
Lucky for me Panny left the cable card off the PD50 so there's one less thing I have to tinker with...
post #2348 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:

It must be some kind of improvement to go without a program guide...I freak when I reboot the box and it takes a half hour to come back.

They need to get two-way card going...no guide or VOD seems like the stone ages especially when you're talking about a few thousand dollars for a display. Of course so does hooking up the bunny ears to get OTA.
Lucky for me Panny left the cable card off the PD50 so there's one less thing I have to tinker with...

Eh... how many time shifted recordings of "Joey" do we really need?

Give me better a picture, that's all I ask.
post #2349 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 PM

I just spoke to a sales rep at Tweeter actually Sound Advice in Florida and as soon as I asked him about the 500U's he knew what I was talking about. He punched it into his computer and he said he expects to see them around the first week of July.
post #2350 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Optivity...how do you know what you're watching with no program guide? I bet you're old school, with a complete TV Guide collection like Frank Costanza...
Or....Do you sit there and say to the wife, "Damn...this show looks great. What is it?"
Ha ha...glad you like the cable card.
post #2351 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:

the built in program guide is one of the reasons i'm waiting for the px500's. really glad to hear optivity's enjoying his cable card, I can't wait to do the same!
post #2352 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 03:59 PM

I have a 37' panny ED in my bedroom and both me and the missus love it, so....

Because we are building a new house we have decided to sell our 61' DLP (any takers) and buy a 50" plasma for above the mantel (the DLP will just look wrong in front of the fireplace). To this end I have got the builder to install a power outlet and cable outlet (not that it is necessary for my proposed set up) above the mantel. I have also had a 2" conduit run from above the mantel to where my components are going to live, for the cables from the DVR and DVD player to go through.

The room is pre-wired for surround (again all wired to where the components are), which leads to my main question.

Do I go HD 50" or ED and which one, do I wait for the new ones (the PX500)? Need to order in the next week or so to make sure that it gets there in time for me to install it in the new house.

I do not need speakers on the TV so which is the best model without?

From what I have heard/read and from my experience with my other panny 37" I think the Panny is the one.
I have a full digital Panny reciever
Scientific Atlanta DVR
Sony 400 disk multi DVD player
JBL speakers

Which cables do I need to get the best signal to the TV.

If I buy the industrial panel, do I need any extra input cards to do this?

Thanks fellas, all and any advice would be appreciated.

Brit

Never, ever, get in the way of a man and his electronics, errr I mean Woman...
post #2353 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 04:12 PM

I finally had the opportunity to speak to someone working for Albany Time Warner Cable who is knowledgeable about CableCARDS and unfortunately he confirmed my worst fears. He said the digital sound output from an SA PowerKEY Model PKM600 CableCARD to my PX50U was being disabled by the "CCI flags" being passed with the content provider's programming. He could not explain why I'm getting DD for some HD stations and not others only to say the optical digital interface of the PX50U handles the copy protection differently than their STBs. He's looking for volunteers so anyone with a PX50U and DD receiver might be interested to see how their PDP handles digital sound output with a CableCARD.

It will be interesting to see if the 500Us are affected in the same manner?

BTW He told me he's using a CableCARD in a Pioneer PDP and really likes the picture it renders.
post #2354 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__P View Post

I wish someone would post a clear pic of the back. I want to see what connections are back there!

this is off a japanese px500 version. sorry, all i could find.....
LL
post #2355 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

You da man! Thanks.
post #2356 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 09:17 PM

[quote=jrock65]I think that the PEAKS system has been a part of Panasonic plasmas since at least the sixth generation.

[Thanks, I thought the PEAKS technology was something new for this year it looks like there are more then likely no picture enhancement differences between the px50 and px500
post #2357 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGEGO1 View Post

I am a rookie to the plasma world and need a little help. I just got the 42px50u and I have Cablevision SA8300 STB, HDMI Outputting DVD player, and Onkyo Surround Sound.

The 42px50u only has one HDMI input, so do I use that for the STB or the DVD player?

If i use that for the STB, what should i use for the DVD player. I am not really sure how to connect all these parts and what cables to use. I want to maximize the picture and sound quality of my setup.

I saw an HDMI switcher on the web , to quote the discription The ex-tend-it 2x1 HDMI Switcher enables effortless HDTV source switching using a single high definition display. A simple and reliable solution, the 2x1 HDMI Switcher links any two HDTV sources (DVD players and satellite set tops) to one HDTV display. It completely eliminates the need to disconnect then reconnect multiple HDTV sources, saving time by providing a fundamental tool that brings it all together behind the scenes. When all three devices (the display plus the two sources) are connected to the 2x1 HDMI Switcher and powered on, you simply select which source you want to view on the display using the Switcher, the IR remote that comes with it, or any universal remote you program to work with the Switcher. I don't have one but plan on getting one when I get my plasma. Just do a web search for the Extend-It 2x1 HDMI Switcher and you will see information on it.
post #2358 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Getting a bit off-topic, but BritOverseas, there's no 50" ED set, so that decision's made for you. No speakers? You want the industrial panny, currently the TH-50PHD7UY. This year's model (...8UK) hasn't been announced yet, but should be out by the fall, and rumoured to have a narrower bezel than the 7UY. (The smaller (37" and 42") ED sets were announced, with a 1/8" bezel.)

Good luck... Perry.

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #2359 of 5649 Old 06-17-2005, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Optivity: I am trying to decide between using the CC or a set top box. Which way do you think I should go

Sorry, couldn't resist the jab after all your CC praise.
post #2360 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Some of tonight's screen captures from my PX50U slightly tweaked for ' MinxMeisters' viewing pleasure

Thanks. I knew you were slowly warming up to me.

When, if you sort out the CC issues, feel free to PM with your success. I couldn't live without DD.
post #2361 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinxMeister View Post

Thanks. I knew you were slowly warming up to me.

When, if you sort out the CC issues, feel free to PM with your success. I couldn't live without DD.

I agree with you regarding D*. My cable provider says it's not their fault because they pass the signal without changes. My position is I'm not going to pay for something I'm not getting, so I dropped $50/month of premium movie channels. Just like any other technology there always seems to be a tradeoff: do I sacrifice picture quality and pay more for TWs STB or do I use the CableCARD which enables my PDP to render the best picture possible and have my DD sound output enabled/disabled by the whims of TNT-HD, INHD, etc.? There may be some engineering modifications to Time Warner's SA PowerKEY to enable DD, but I'm not counting on that.

If content/CATV providers aren't going to enable "copy once" protection for their subscribers who most likely comprise the bulk of their revenue source, eventually the implementation of D* services for private use will come to a grinding halt.

Time Warner has already lost 33% of my business because of this issue. As more TVs with CableCARDs are sold... if subscribers are going to be subjected to the copy protection paranoia of their content providers, this will only serve to slow the implementation of D* service and CATV providers may incur an erosion of their customer base/revenue source.
post #2362 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos-Man View Post

Optivity: I am trying to decide between using the CC or a set top box. Which way do you think I should go

Sorry, couldn't resist the jab after all your CC praise.

LOL!
post #2363 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

I'm not too concerned with the clicking sound, unless someone thinks I should be, it's just kinda strange to be laying in bed with the TV off and all the sudden hear it click like its trying to turn on. I've only heard it happen a few times.
Scott

I had read Scott Tucker's post before I bought my set and didn't think much about it until I bought my own set. I am also hearing clicking sounds from my 42PX50 every now and then, even when the set is off. It is quite infrequent.

The sound it makes is the same clicking sound it makes when you first turn it on. I haven't noticed any other effect, adverse or otherwise, associated with the sound.

My setup is:

HD Tivo -> Component to panel, analog sound to panel, optical sound to AV receiver
Panasonic DVD player connected to panel via HDMI

I'm interested in whether this is common and/or whether someone followed up with Panasonic on this issue.
post #2364 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Has anyone gotten the service manual for the TH-42PD50U (probably the same info for the PX50 too)? I see its available from a vendor on EBAY pretty cheap, do a search on EBAY for TH-42PD50U manual.
post #2365 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I remember one cause of the clicking sounds being expansion/contraction of different parts of the display as it heats up, cools down. Don't know if that could be the cause in this case?

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #2366 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Has anyone gotten the service manual for the TH-42PD50U (probably the same info for the PX50 too)? I see its available from a vendor on EBAY pretty cheap, do a search on EBAY for TH-42PD50U manual.

I did.
post #2367 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
BruZZi - if you indeed got the 42PD50U service manual, does it give the details for eliminating overscan? Horizontal and vertical size and centering adjustment parameters?
post #2368 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

BruZZi - if you indeed got the 42PD50U service manual, does it give the details for eliminating overscan? Horizontal and vertical size and centering adjustment parameters?

YGPM
post #2369 of 5649 Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelphman View Post

I had read Scott Tucker's post before I bought my set and didn't think much about it until I bought my own set. I am also hearing clicking sounds from my 42PX50 every now and then, even when the set is off. It is quite infrequent.

The sound it makes is the same clicking sound it makes when you first turn it on. I haven't noticed any other effect, adverse or otherwise, associated with the sound.

My setup is:

HD Tivo -> Component to panel, analog sound to panel, optical sound to AV receiver
Panasonic DVD player connected to panel via HDMI

I'm interested in whether this is common and/or whether someone followed up with Panasonic on this issue.

Thanks for validating the clicking sound. I haven't heard mine do it in a while. It is strange that it will do that when it is off. I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about.

Scott
post #2370 of 5649 Old 06-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Occasionally, I hear a 'click-like' sound from my PX50U. Usually it occurs about 20 seconds after the TV is powered off.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page