Pioneer 503CMX plasma power supply on replacement list! merged thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 10-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2blue View Post

Just checking,

I received the new PCB for my 503CMX from a 3rd party parts store, and the markings all say AXY1059 (the old PCB's part number) except for a small sticker on the back that says AXX1064. Does anyone else have a PCB they can check to see if its the same? The board works fine, just a little concerning.

Thanks in advance!

@dc2blue - where did you buy your replacement part? I need to find a replacement.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 10-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Wish I saw this thread a few years ago. My 503cmx just "Popped" last night.
I called pioneer today and was told "no more free power supply's"

I think I'm going to replace this myself after reading a few of the posts in here. If I bring it to a service center and pay for parts and labor, I would be better of buying a new one.
And it won't be a pioneer again.
post #123 of 146 Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

My 503 CMX is blinking red five times, was working fine for a long time now but does anyone know what 5 blinks means? Calling Pioneer now to identify part number that's needed.

5 Pioneer 50" Plasmas
20 LCDs
3 Motorized Plasma Mounts - K2 X-ARM
10+ HD DirecTV DVRs
7 Xboxes and 6 Xbox 360s
2 Buttkickers
4 Sling Boxes (2 Pros, 2 Classics)
1 Roku Netflix unit
post #124 of 146 Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...x#post16328980

Above link is my input for the DIY R&R.
SWANSB,
Yes, the pn's matched what dc2blue found.

I still have the old bad board and have not taken the time to find a repair for it.

Mike
post #125 of 146 Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM

How to you unplug the cable connectors from the original PS board? I don't want to damage the plugs!

There are little square holes in the on-board receiver for each plug. Do I need to stick something in there? The plug doesn't seem to want to come off just by pulling on it -- of course the plug itself is rather small compared to my fingertips, and I'm having a tough time grabbing hold of it. Should I just use pliers and pull hard, or is there some kind of "release" I need to depress (which I don't see)?

Thanks.
post #126 of 146 Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTX View Post

How to you unplug the cable connectors from the original PS board? I don't want to damage the plugs!

There are little square holes in the on-board receiver for each plug. Do I need to stick something in there? The plug doesn't seem to want to come off just by pulling on it -- of course the plug itself is rather small compared to my fingertips, and I'm having a tough time grabbing hold of it. Should I just use pliers and pull hard, or is there some kind of "release" I need to depress (which I don't see)?

Thanks.

I do not remember any special release and I just looked at my old one to refresh my memory.

Mike
post #127 of 146 Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Yes they just pulled straight out -- no tabs or anything to press first. But they were pretty snug and I had to work them a bit. But I got them out and replaced the PS and now it works again! Now I see that both fans are inop, also. Wish I had ordered those items with the PS, in the first place.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for mentioning the 200/100 volt switch, in your earlier post! Might not have seen that, otherwise (and mine was set to 200, on the new PS).

One question: the instructions that came with the new PS describe adjusting my VSUS settings. It says to get into "Service Factory mode" and record the current settings, then find and enter a new value according to a table of data on the sheet. How do I get into "Service Factory" mode? I've looked through the on-screen menu, using the remote, and don't see anything like that. ?????
post #128 of 146 Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 PM

I'm glad it worked for you. I've seen several post here about folks thinking about doing this themselves but you are the first to report back. Nice to see some other results. Did you notice what was wrong with the ps? I saw that a resistor was blown on mine, the side was burnt out, I think it was marked R133? Just curious if it was the same problem. Still thinking of sending it in for repair just in case.

I believe I had the same instructions and to be honest I just ignored them. My set is still running fine so I doubt it was that important. I had no way to record the data anyway. The Factory Service mode is different then the normal menu, there is a sequence of steps to take with the remote to enter the Factory settings. Messing around in the service mode can be really dangerous to the set if done wrong. Copy any settings down on paper before you mess around. Do a search and you will probably find the steps to enter the service mode but be careful.

Again, thanks for reporting back.

Mike
post #129 of 146 Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 AM

The links to the Pioneer service bulletin and other info posted in this thread are all dead. Does anybody think I'll have any luck with Pioneer getting this repaired?

Can somebody please post the part number of the power supply so I can search eBay?
post #130 of 146 Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Did you notice what was wrong with the ps? I saw that a resistor was blown on mine, the side was burnt out, I think it was marked R133? Just curious if it was the same problem. Still thinking of sending it in for repair just in case.

Wow ... what a coincidence (or maybe not!). Yes the side is blown out of my R133 (right beside the easier to see T103, for future readers of this thread -- the T103 is one of those five large rectangular yellow wrapped items). And I agree about repairing it -- give the price of these PS's! The resistor looks accessible enough. Wonder if it's just a question of getting the right sized resistor -- or if it must be OEM part from Pioneer?

I also have another scorched looking area on my board -- up there in the block of little tiny items Q119 Q120 R194 R195 R197 R198 (upper edge near middle -- between large C108 and large T101). It is possible this is just an initial assembly artifact -- I can't really tell if it is a problem or not. But it looks like upper right corner of that block may be damaged (Q120, specifically).

Adam
post #131 of 146 Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukoch View Post

The links to the Pioneer service bulletin and other info posted in this thread are all dead. Does anybody think I'll have any luck with Pioneer getting this repaired?

Can somebody please post the part number of the power supply so I can search eBay?

Yes, both old and new pn's are shown in post 121 above. I found this in google search, from Ebay: Up for auction is a brand new Pioneer AXX1064 Power Supply Module (it is also an upgrade replacement for AXY1059). This is the most common failure in Pioneer 3rd generation plasmas. Pioneer was sued and replaced them out of warranty until Dec 2007. If you are getting the power shut down and 5 LED blinks, at minimum, the power supply has blown. Pioneer sells them for $334 + shipping, other places upwards of $600.

Also, did mine in Apr 09 and it is still working fine now. (Knock on wood).

Mike
post #132 of 146 Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukoch View Post

Also ... the part number for the fan is AXM1040 -- for the PDP-503CMX ($33.95 each, from Pioneer). This part won't show up when browsing parts by TV/monitor model number -- you must enter the part number in the Search box. The description says "DC Motor" and there is no picture.

And finally ... I was unable to talk Pioneer into replacing my PS at no charge. Wasn't even able to convince them to comp the expedited shipping charge.
post #133 of 146 Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM

OK. So my two new fans showed up. I removed the old fans, replaced them with the new ones, replaced the back cover, connected the power and turned on the unit. The fans still don't spin!

When I hit the power switch the fans kind of "twitch," but they don't spin. I haven't tried checking the power supply at the plug yet, but the fans say 12V on them so I assume I should get 12V with a multimeter set to measure DC -- can anyone confirm that?

The new fan blades do spin freely when I turn them by hand (as did the old ones). I guess something else is wrong -- and it isn't just the fans. I've seen computer power supplies where the fans were "smart" -- meaning they only spun when the unit sensed enough heat to warrant spinning the fans. Are these monitors like that? Or do these things start spinning as soon as the monitor starts showing video?

Thanks,
Adam
post #134 of 146 Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 419
^^^

I think they are thermostatically controlled (it has been a long time since I sold mine)

Some plasmas allow you to set fan speeds in the service menu
post #135 of 146 Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 AM

Just got 'bit' by the 5 red blinks/bad power supply issue.

Is anyone aware of a source for the power supplies? Just checked eBay and found none there.

Anyone have success repairing the board themselves?

I know these units are pretty old, but mine was working fine until tonight and I'd hate to discard it if I can replace the power supply.

Thanks,
Howard
post #136 of 146 Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Frazierwa,
See my post 131, 124 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...x#post16328980. I did remove and replace mine and it has worked fine for a few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazierwa View Post

Just got 'bit' by the 5 red blinks/bad power supply issue.

Is anyone aware of a source for the power supplies? Just checked eBay and found none there.

Anyone have success repairing the board themselves?

I know these units are pretty old, but mine was working fine until tonight and I'd hate to discard it if I can replace the power supply.

Thanks,
Howard

Mike
post #137 of 146 Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM

I bought the replacement power supply directly from Pioneer Electronics -- $451 including taxes and shipping, in March 2010. Then I bought (from Pioneer) and replaced the two internal fans also ($81). Pretty pricey all told, but I love the picture and given where I have the monitor installed I don't know if another unit will work as well. The monitor has been working, since replacing the PS (just over 2 years ago)
post #138 of 146 Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazierwa View Post

Just got 'bit' by the 5 red blinks/bad power supply issue. Is anyone aware of a source for the power supplies? Just checked eBay and found none there.....I know these units are pretty old, but mine was working fine until tonight and I'd hate to discard it if I can replace the power supply.

If you do find a power supply, i wouldn't spend too much on it since even a $400 used/Craigslist 2008 Panny PZ80U has better PQ than an old 503CMX and also has HDMI inputs. Just to keep things in perspective.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #139 of 146 Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM

hello 503 wizzards

i was just given my 503 by my employer, it works fine other than getting anything to display with the component (red,green,blue). i have the BNC adapters but still nothing. it keeps saying "caution out of range" right now i am using it as a really huge monitor lol. any help or ideas? i mainly want to use it for ps3 and or my digital cable
post #140 of 146 Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM

That's all it is, a monitor. A cable box will drive it.

Mike
post #141 of 146 Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM

how? everywhere i look some say i need a expansion card, others say i need a signal converter, and the rest say i need nothing and it should work on its own. about to sell this thing on craigslist if i dont find answers lol
post #142 of 146 Old 06-15-2012, 02:39 PM

I see. YOu do need a pioneer expansion card if not already installed. Look on ebay for a Pioneer PDA-5002 Expansion Video Card or just do a search for it on the www.

also...i just copied the following off an Amazon thread.

"With HDMI the industry standard for transmitting digital A/v... this old PDA-5002 is ancient history. Search Amazon for "HDFury" and order a HDFury2 or HDFury3 to convert your HDMI signal from your Blu-Ray or HD-Cable box into a component (YPbPr) or RGB signal which these older (but still gorgeous picture quality) Pioneer plasmas will accept. This will breathe new life into this fantastic old Pioneer plasmas, that only have component or RGB video inputs for 1080i signals."

I have the PDA-5002 in my set and it works great. I have no idea what a HDFury is?

I hope this helps and I hope you work it out. If you decide to sell let us know.

I like your BF3 signature picture.

Mike

Mike
post #143 of 146 Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Here is some more on the PDA-5002:

Plasma Video Card Will Also Work With The 4th Generation Plasma Displays PDP-434CMX & PDP-504CMX But Require The EXP-4 Adaptor Plate. Highlights Allows High Definition, video and digital RGB inputs Equipped with an advanced digital RGB (DVI) terminal Specifically designed for the PDP-503CMX and PDP-433CMX Plasma Displays Overview The PDA-5002 Video Card from Pioneer makes the plasma display compatible with High Definition, video and digital RGB inputs. This card is equipped with an advanced digital RGB (DVI) terminal. The advantages of digital RGB input include clear, noise-free image and data presentation. This video card is specifically designed for the PDP-503CMX and PDP-433CMX Plasma Displays. Manufacturer Part# : PDA-5002

Mike
post #144 of 146 Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

My trusty old 503cmx blew up last night. I saw a blue flash and a loud pop! I have the PSU out and on my bench and there is one resistor with severe trauma and another that looks damaged, but with the loudness of the noise it made I would expect to find one of those big electrolytic caps had blown up, but they all look fine. Usually failed resistors are the result of other problems like a shorted cap or voltage regulator. Does anyone have experience working on this power supply? Does anyone have a spare supply laying around? I found them online for $180 but if I can't fix it for components its not worth it. Ps- the build quality inside this thing is awesome, looks more like a high end piece of equipment than just a TV. You don't see hand made wire looms and potted components in TVs today. Probably why it cost so much! Even the power supply is a work of art. I would love a schematic if anyone has one!

bob z

Ramblings of a TV News Chaser:
www.tvuplink.net/
post #145 of 146 Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 PM

I still have my failed power supply someplace hidden away in a closet. Mine failed almost exactly as you described your failure. If you ever get the power supply fixed and are successful at figuring out the failed components I would be interested in having this information also. Since I replaced the power supply the monitor has worked as designed for over 5 years now.

Mike
post #146 of 146 Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

I replaced transistor Q127 (a hard to find Fuji MOSFET) and two resistors, the only visually damaged parts. Plugged it in and turned it on, and it immeadeatly blew up with such violence that the dog ran out of the room and hid under furnature. Whatever is wrong needs a schematic to fix, and pioneers support has been worse than useless!!!! At work I was able to get a schematic for a piece of gear (satellite HPA) built in 1984, under a previous company owner. And they sent me PDF files, free. That is what I expect when I call service. Instead Pioneer replies, 2 days later, the manual is $49.99 and even if I wanted to pay for it, it was on indefinite back order anyway. Go choke on it pioneer, that's BS. I spent $8000 for this thing I expect a little more in the way of support. If Varian can produce a power supply schematic for a HPA from the early 1990s why is it so hard for you to get one? I don't believe for one minute they don't have the schematic saved on some computer, big companies don't just delete that stuff when they stop making it.

bob z

Ramblings of a TV News Chaser:
www.tvuplink.net/
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page