Pioneer 503CMX plasma power supply on replacement list! merged thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 146 Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My plasma is about 1 1/2 years old. Worked fine till now. I turned it off by the switch on monitor and turned it back on before red blinking light stopped blinking. Would not power up, so unplugged, waited a few minutes, plugged back in, red light came on, pressed input/on, worked fine except when I turned it off, red light won't come on and input/on does not work. Did this several times and sometimes it would power on, sometimes not. Now it won't power on (red light). Anyone have this happen or know something else to try? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
if you do see the red light blinking, try to count the number of blinks as it is helpful in the troubleshooting process

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #3 of 146 Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

The red light won't come on, the last time I had a solid red light, but when I went to power on got the green blinking six times pause blink six times, etc. But no picture. Now red light won't light so no standby. I can't find any archive material about this. Thanks.
post #4 of 146 Old 01-20-2005, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

I'll update as the repair moves forward in case anyone runs into a similar problem with their Pioneer.

Spoke to a local Pioneer authorized repair guy. After describing the problem to him over the phone, he emailed Pioneer tech dept. and has ordered the following parts in hopes of being able to repair on the first trip to my house. He ordered a power supply, digital video assembly, and an RGB (?).

This is about $1300. in parts (just have to purchase the parts that get used), labor will be $250. Luckily I purchased from Dell with a Am Ex so I'm covered since I'm into my second year. Am Ex has been very helpful and is giving me the option to pay for repairs and get reimbursed or wait and process claim first. Second option will take 2 weeks to process, plus I'm not sure if these parts will actually solve the problem. So will go with first one.

The plasma will occasionally power up (red light comes on) and picture is fine. But most of the times I try-nothing.
post #5 of 146 Old 01-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your model does not appear one of the ones listed, but it seems Pioneer is having trouble with some power supplies. They are replacing them for free on a number of models. Perhaps you can contact them and see if you qualify.

Check out pioneerelectronics.com and hunt around for it in the plasma section.
post #6 of 146 Old 01-20-2005, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Thanks chillin23.

I spoke to Pioneer and the service person said my model is not affected. Makes me wonder because the PRO 1000HD was listed and I thought they were pretty much the same as the 503CMX. He said the power supply is more heavy duty in the industrial than consumer. I wonder what the extra money buys, other than the frame.
post #7 of 146 Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 AM

Came accross this thread today and I have a similiar problem with my 433cmx. The 1 year extended warrantee from Dell/Electrograph expired exactly 31 days ago. After powering off and unplugging, I turn it back on and get the red stanby light. Push to turn on light turns green, blinks and fades away with no power on. Tried this process 5 or 6 times with the same results. (BTW, when the problem started there was a pop) Anyone have any other ideas? A slew of these were bought around here about 2 years ago. I wonder if this will start to come up frequently. I'll contact Pio of course and let everyone know what happens. The symptoms are exactly the same as stated on the website regarding the consumer models.

"Repoman never dies...he just fades away...."
post #8 of 146 Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 AM

ok, for anyone else who has this problem here's how it went. Called the 800 # on the consumer website where all the covered models are listed. Finally got thru and was transferred to the industrial division, as my 433cmx is an industrial model. Clicked thru a few service buttons to technical support. Got a tech pretty quickly. I described my problem and he said it was indeed the power supply and that they would cover it for this model. He asked my name, address, phone #, date of purchase, authorized dealer purchased from and serial number. I had all but the serial number and he said no problem. He then assigned me a case # and gave me the number the local authorized dealer I should call and give the authorization #. I called the local guy. They were not familiar with my model but if Pio said if Pio is covering it then fine with them. I do need the serial number for them so they can order the proper part. I'll follow up as work progresses. At the moment very happy with Pioneers response. KOA, you might want to try industrial tech support.

"Repoman never dies...he just fades away...."
post #9 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Thank you repoman, you are right.

I had my plasma fixed yesterday and it was the power supply. I did pay for labor but the part was free. After reading repoman's post I called Pioneer again and confirmed it is a repair covered (parts and labor), even if the plasma is out of warranty. I called the tech who fixed the plasma and he is refunding the labor charges back to me and getting a case number from Pioneer. I think Am Ex would have checked before covering to make sure there were no hidden warranty or policies concerning any repairs. I'm glad this got settled now.

The actual repair is quite simple. The plasma is laid glass down and the back is unscrewed, that exposes the power supply board (8" X 10" board in the middle), unscrew and disconnect the board and install new one. Put the back on and that's it. Maybe 15 min. since I kept talking to the tech.

I'm surprised Pioneer gave me the wrong info the first time, since when I called the second time everyone knew about the power supply problem.

There should be an easy way to search out this problem since it sounds like there is a good chance of people running into this in the future.
post #10 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Just to let Pioneer plasma owner know there are known problems with the power supply board. If your plasma develops powering on or off problems it might be associated with the power supply. Pioneer will replace the board for free (parts and labor) even if you plasma is OUT OF WARRANTY!
If you have problems with your plasma call the (800) 421-1625 and have your serial number and date of purchase and they will assign a case number and have an authorize tech fix it.

Hopefully this post will make it easier to find when doing a search.
post #11 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Liked: 13
Any specific Pioneers panels? Elites?

Thanks.
post #12 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

From what I understand, it's all Pioneer plasmas, including the Elites. They all use the same power supply boards. These boards have been updated three times. You can tell what upgrade you have by the number of colored dots on the back of your plasma. Mine had two dots, after mine was replaced the tech put an orange third dot to show which board it now has.

The boards either work or don't work with no harm to the rest of the unit or any degrading of the PQ. Pioneer does have a list on their website of certain units, but there are more that are covered that are not listed. My 503CMX for example. So I don't think you need to do anything until the plasma gives you trouble. It's the "out of warranty" part that will be of most interest I think.

When I ran into my problem, I searched and couldn't find any posts about it, so just wanted to make sure people can find the info in the future.

My info is basically from the tech who fixed my plasma and customer service at Pioneer.
post #13 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Liked: 13
post #14 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 PM

If you look in the pioneer site it lists the affected models.
Consumer Plasma Models (12 listed):

PDP-505HD
PDP-503PU
PDP-5030HD
PDP-5031HD
PDP-433PU
PDP-4300
PDP-4310
PDP-4330HD
PRO-800HD
PRO-800HDI
PRO-1000HD
PRO-1000HDI

Hopefully, you're not on the list!
Good luck,
Max
post #15 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Here's the whole notice:

Important: Free Power Supply Replacement for Certain Pioneer Plasmas

Pioneer is continuing to offer a free, in-home power supply replacement for certain of its second and third generation plasma models listed below for consumers who experience a problem with the original power supply. If a consumer model is not listed below, no power supply replacement is needed and no further action needs to be taken.

If you own or use a plasma listed below, please call our toll free hotline at 1-800-421-1404 to arrange a time to have your plasma's power supply upgraded in your home at no charge.

PDP-505HD
PDP-503PU
PDP-5030HD
PDP-5031HD
PDP-433PU
PDP-4300
PDP-4310
PDP-4330HD
PRO-800HD
PRO-800HDI
PRO-1000HD
PRO-1000HDI
The issue with the power supply in the plasmas listed above does not pose any health or safety risk. Pioneer has received reports that the power supply in the affected models may fail. In some cases, a loud popping sound can be heard when a power supply fails. After the power supply fails, the plasma is no longer operable.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your cooperation.
post #16 of 146 Old 01-26-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MaxCanes
Here's the whole notice:

Important: Free Power Supply Replacement for Certain Pioneer Plasmas

Pioneer is continuing to offer a free, in-home power supply replacement for certain of its second and third generation plasma models listed below for consumers who experience a problem with the original power supply. If a consumer model is not listed below, no power supply replacement is needed and no further action needs to be taken.

If you own or use a plasma listed below, please call our toll free hotline at 1-800-421-1404 to arrange a time to have your plasma's power supply upgraded in your home at no charge.

PDP-505HD
PDP-503PU
PDP-5030HD
PDP-5031HD
PDP-433PU
PDP-4300
PDP-4310
PDP-4330HD
PRO-800HD
PRO-800HDI
PRO-1000HD
PRO-1000HDI
The issue with the power supply in the plasmas listed above does not pose any health or safety risk. Pioneer has received reports that the power supply in the affected models may fail. In some cases, a loud popping sound can be heard when a power supply fails. After the power supply fails, the plasma is no longer operable.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your cooperation.

Just so you understand what I went through. I called and was told my 503CMX was not on the list and was not covered. I even argued that my 503 is almost identical to the Pro 1000 HD, no dice, I was not part of it. I made arrangements with authorized repair tech locally. When the tech got here he told me the part was covered, but not the labor or freight on the part. I paid $322. for repairs ($60. was freight on part since the old part needs to be returned). It wasn't till repoman posted in my other thread that Pioneer was covering his plasma out of warranty that I called back Pioneer and was told that in fact my plasma was cover for parts and labor and freight. The repair man is crediting back my charge card and getting paid by Pioneer.

Just trying to make sure everyone knows to pursue any problems with power issues with ANY model Pioneer plasma because chances are it's the power supply board and it is COVERED.
post #17 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Just as this thread is valid for the 433-cmx
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...14#post5305214

the industrial model 503CMX is also listed by pioneer as a model for power supply upgrade. I called that number and was transferred to the profession/business product service area. I was given a case number and called the local repair center which is ordering the part! Good thing I read this thread. My 503CMX hasn't blown up (yet)!
Regards
mark

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/ar...403415,00.html

mark

Top Home Theater's I hope to see: The Bland's
Art's and my buddy Steve Bruzonsky! And Oneobgyn if I ever make it to NorCal!
post #18 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

I just posted on the "My 433cmx blew up" thread that I had a power supply problem back in January 05. If you searched "Pioneer power supply" on crawler (slowest) it would have come up. Just so you know to try crawler.
post #19 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks

mark

post #20 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by KOA
Thank you repoman, you are right.

I had my plasma fixed yesterday and it was the power supply. I did pay for labor but the part was free. After reading repoman's post I called Pioneer again and confirmed it is a repair covered (parts and labor), even if the plasma is out of warranty. I called the tech who fixed the plasma and he is refunding the labor charges back to me and getting a case number from Pioneer. I think Am Ex would have checked before covering to make sure there were no hidden warranty or policies concerning any repairs. I'm glad this got settled now.

The actual repair is quite simple. The plasma is laid glass down and the back is unscrewed, that exposes the power supply board (8" X 10" board in the middle), unscrew and disconnect the board and install new one. Put the back on and that's it. Maybe 15 min. since I kept talking to the tech.

I'm surprised Pioneer gave me the wrong info the first time, since when I called the second time everyone knew about the power supply problem.

There should be an easy way to search out this problem since it sounds like there is a good chance of people running into this in the future.

Yep, I got the case number from Pioneer industrial plasma technical support and the local repair center is ordering the power supply! Everyone with a 503CMX should get ahold of Pioneer industrial products technical support before their power supplies blow or before pioneer no longer offers free parts/labor!

mark

post #21 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow....now the question is if I get the power supply fixed with the plasma start buzzing? It has never ever buzzed but I thought that was a PSU problem. I would hate to exchange a working quiet power supply for a new age buzzing supply. This is 2.5 years old with narry a glitch.
post #22 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I am in the same situation with a Pro1000HD (4 years old) , a PDP505 (my first plasma purchased in 1999 recently sold to a friend), and a 503CMX (2.5 years old) at work

all 3 are still going strong, now I see this service bulletin

I called Pioneer and got a ticket number for the Pro1000: was given the name of a local TV service center to call with serial number & date of purchase: they will order the PS and arrange installation (I have not called yet because I cannot locate the paperwork)

All 3 displays are out of warranty and are working just fine : I wonder if it is worth it to have all this work done or

"don't fix what is not broken"?

sticky thread for a few days

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #23 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
MAB
AVS Special Member

Mark, thanks.

My PRO1000HD is fine as well. Should I go for the replacement psu? What are you going to do?
post #24 of 146 Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

When I did my power supply in January the repair tech said you don't need to replace the supply if it's working. It either works or doesn't. Doesn't do any harm either way. If you do it while your display is working, there will be less down time with the scheduling and parts delivery.

IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO WRITE DOWN YOUR USER MENU SETTINGS BEFORE SERVICE SINCE THEY WILL RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS WHEN POWER SUPPLY IS REPLACED. It will save you a little time later.
post #25 of 146 Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

for now I think I will hold off

Let's assume I get a new PS installed in the Pro1000 and a short time later the plasma fails for whatever reason: because it was already out of warranty, I will not be covered and might wonder if pulling it down from the wall and doing all that work somehow caused some other problem

I may get issue numbers for all 3 since I did not see any time limit on the PS replacement notice, just in case, and see what happens

post #26 of 146 Old 03-12-2005, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Should we call the number listed here? Or is there a better number for industrial technical support?
post #27 of 146 Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

this thread will be merged with sticky thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post5305247

post #28 of 146 Old 03-16-2005, 06:38 PM

I just had mine's changed today and no more poping sound from the power supply... It took less then 15 minutes for the tech to do it.. He told me he was changing these every week...
post #29 of 146 Old 03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
rmf

KOA
which settings do you need to save? My 503cmx has been professionally calibrated which settings i assume would not change.
post #30 of 146 Old 03-18-2005, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
KOA
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rmf
KOA
which settings do you need to save? My 503cmx has been professionally calibrated which settings i assume would not change.

All the users settings go back to factory defaults. The tint, color, contrast, auto off, etc. I'm not sure about the calibrated settings, I would think they would remain the same. If you don't have access to the pro menus and the plasma is still working, have the tech show them to you and write the numbers down first.

Remember that all the inputs need to be reset.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page