The Official "PIO 4312/4304" Thread!!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 583 Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen the 4345 at their local costco? Will it be coming to B&M?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 583 Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatime View Post

Has anyone seen the 4345 at their local costco? Will it be coming to B&M?

I have not seen one at the local Costco's and don't think they'll be there. I think the 4345 was a one-time thing online.
post #453 of 583 Old 07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just called Pioneer and was told that Costco is now an authorized internet dealer. This should mean that any Pios bought from Costco, internet or B&M, will be covered under the Pio warranty. I wonder if this will alter their return policy for the Pio plasmas?

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #454 of 583 Old 07-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

I just called Pioneer and was told that Costco is now an authorized internet dealer. This should mean that any Pios bought from Costco, internet or B&M, will be covered under the Pio warranty. I wonder if this will alter their return policy for the Pio plasmas?

I had understood that Costco was an authorized dealer and that the Pio warranty would appy.

No, the return policy will not change - that's a huge Costco selling point.
post #455 of 583 Old 07-09-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

I bought my 4312 about five weeks ago and I'm somewhat pertubed to 4345 was released so close to my 4312 purchase. How is the media cable attached to the screen/media box? It is removable? I only need a three foot cable instead of the nine foot cable. It sound like you're very pleased with the 4345. Do you think the 4312stand and speakers will fit on the 4345?

Mike

Yeah, I don't know why Costco sold the 4345's for one week - they must have got a bunch. From order to delivery was 9 calendar days - my 4312 took a month.

The media cable attaches via two VGA kind of connectors.
.[/quote]

How many HDMI conections are available on the 4345 media box? The costco website states two are a available. Will you confirm this?

Mike
post #456 of 583 Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soi_01 View Post

How many HDMI conections are available on the 4345 media box? The costco website states two are a available. Will you confirm this?

Mike

Yep, there are two HDMI connections.
post #457 of 583 Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM

First off, beautiful TV. I've been ogling over it every time I went to a Costco for the past few months and finally made the plunge, couldn't be happier. Besides having great PQ, the thing looks very sexy (which is good because I have it mounted on a wall right above my fireplace. Very happy with the purchase. Was surprised by how simplistic the remote was, but it seems to be capable of doing everything, so fine by me. Only thing that's a bit frustrating is just the one HDMI & Component input.

Couple questions, my apologies if this has already been covered

1. Both my Comcast DVR and Samsung 841 DVD player support HDMI out. So which is better to connect via HDMI Cable or DVD player? Right now I'm using the DVR via Component cause I don't have the HDMI cable yet, but the DVD player which just arrived today comes with it. Also I don't have a gaming system yet, but in the event I do, what do I do next? Just use RCA connections?

2. For surround sound systems, can you simply run the center channel out from your amp and split it to each of the Pio's side speakers? I realize they are not meant to be a center channel speaker, but having my big center channel speaker sitting on top of this classy looking TV just looks goofy. Anyone else try this? Is there any reason I shouldn't try this? I realize it may not sound as good as a true center speaker, but it would look a lot nicer.

Thanks!
post #458 of 583 Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcobb1 View Post

1. Both my Comcast DVR and Samsung 841 DVD player support HDMI out. So which is better to connect via HDMI Cable or DVD player? Right now I'm using the DVR via Component cause I don't have the HDMI cable yet, but the DVD player which just arrived today comes with it. Also I don't have a gaming system yet, but in the event I do, what do I do next? Just use RCA connections?

2. For surround sound systems, can you simply run the center channel out from your amp and split it to each of the Pio's side speakers? I realize they are not meant to be a center channel speaker, but having my big center channel speaker sitting on top of this classy looking TV just looks goofy. Anyone else try this? Is there any reason I shouldn't try this? I realize it may not sound as good as a true center speaker, but it would look a lot nicer.

Thanks!

1. Do your HD cable STB/DVR via HDMI and your DVD via component
2. Don't know
post #459 of 583 Old 07-11-2005, 07:31 PM

Thanks![/quote]

Comcast HD DVR boxes I've seen have dvi out. Buy a cable that converts dvi to hdmi. I bought my cables from Ram Electronics - http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/D...or_cables.html. Very good quality stuff at very good prices - less than a third the cost of monster cable. Also, they sell a hdmi switchbox. multiple HDMIs from sources(s) to single HDMI on 4304. Also bought a component out cable to computer in. So, the 4304 has two component inputs and with hdmi switchbox it has multiple hdmi(s) in.

Mike
post #460 of 583 Old 07-12-2005, 07:04 AM

waltaz and others:

How does the HD and DVD PQ compare on the above? I have the 4312, bought it in March. Just curious.
thanks
post #461 of 583 Old 07-13-2005, 05:14 PM

I was looking to get a plasma TV after finally getting our built-in cabinets "expanded"...

I already ordered some Yamaha speakers - the YSP-1. It is an all-in-one set that is long, and intended to sit in front of the set. I didn't realize that would pose a problem until I measured my space and factored in the speakers...

My space for the set and speakers is 32" high (another 1"+ behind the lip on the top), 40.5" wide, and 24" deep.

The Yamaha YSP-1 is 7.75" high, 40.5" wide, and 4.5" deep.

It seems like a few 42" plasmas will work, but the top of the speaker will fall just below the bottom of the screen. I can't picture if that will look bad or not.

Anyway, I was at Costco today checking out the PDP-4312, and looking at the back, it looked like the stand could be adjusted. It was displayed in the bottom hole, but it looked like it could go up two more notches, which would put the bottom of the screen at 7.75". If anyone could confirm or deny, I'd really appreciate it.

Any advice on how the speaker set up might look (good or bad) would be appreciated as well.

I'm hoping to buy a set tomorrow, and this and the similar sized plasma sold at Best Buy seemed to be the two that would work. This plasma (the Pioneer) happened to be the one I was looking at anyway (before I realized the space issues), so if it works out, that would be cool.

Thanks,

Jason
post #462 of 583 Old 07-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theueck View Post

waltaz and others:

How does the HD and DVD PQ compare on the above? I have the 4312, bought it in March. Just curious.
thanks

I believe the displays are the same, but the setting menus are different. So they set up "differently."

FWIW, my new 4345 seems a little "blacker," as I have not yet mastered the settings. I did run DVE on Input 3 Component, but I'm not convinced.

Walt
post #463 of 583 Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebord View Post

My space for the set and speakers is 32" high (another 1"+ behind the lip on the top), 40.5" wide, and 24" deep.

Make sure to measure the width of the 4312. 40.5" might NOT be enough for it.

Quote:

Anyway, I was at Costco today checking out the PDP-4312, and looking at the back, it looked like the stand could be adjusted. It was displayed in the bottom hole, but it looked like it could go up two more notches, which would put the bottom of the screen at 7.75". If anyone could confirm or deny, I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, the stand for the 4312 can be adjusted over two or three notches.

Keep in mind that with Costco, if it doesn't fit, or you don't like how it all looks, you can return it.
post #464 of 583 Old 07-13-2005, 09:38 PM

Oops - I meant 62.5" wide in the cabinet! (that was the width of the Yamaha speaker)

Thanks for the info on the set - it is appreciated. I've nver bought from Costco, and they were telling me a bit about that policy while I was there. Their return policy is really that liberal?

Also, where should I buy some kind of extended warranty for the set? Is it necessary?

Thanks again,

Jason
post #465 of 583 Old 07-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oops - I meant 62.5" wide in the cabinet! (that was the width of the Yamaha speaker)

Thanks for the info on the set - it is appreciated. I've nver bought from Costco, and they were telling me a bit about that policy while I was there. Their return policy is really that liberal?

Also, where should I buy some kind of extended warranty for the set? Is it necessary?

Thanks again,

Jason

You'll have no problem with the width.

Yes, Costco's return policy is that liberal...you don't need an extended warranty.

Enjoy!
post #466 of 583 Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

If I correctly understand your question (see below), the space available to fit a center channel speaker under the Costco 4312 stand indeed is limited -- to a scant 4.75 inches. Most full-sized, center channel speakers will not fit in this space, and you are left to consider smaller "micro" speaker systems, most of which may not have that "big screen" sound. I diligently searched for a diminutive center speaker for the Pio 4312 display stand, since our screen currently is not mounted on the wall. I finally found what I consider to be a nearly perfect solution -- a Monitor Audio center channel speaker that just fits this tight space.

Monitor Audio is a well-regarded Canadian manufacturer and their moderately-priced ($349) Radius 225 is stylishly designed to complement flat (LCD or plasma) screens. It can be mounted on walls or placed on shelves, as needed, and it can be used as either center and/or left/right mains, or even side surrounds. It also has built-in ports to attach a wall mount. So, the Radius 225 is wide and narrow (or tall and narrow) depending on your placement and use. Since it measures (in inches) 4.7h x 24w x 4.1d, it fits perfectly under a Pio 4312 stand that is raised to the highest (top notch) position!

The cabinet we purchased is in black lacquer, but three or four other finishes are available. Unfortunately, no flat black option that would perfectly match the 4312 monitor and stand is offered. However, once the black lacquer version is nestled under the display (on the 4312 stand), the finish is hardly noticeable, largely because a flat black grill covers most of the face. The speaker is a couple of inches wider than the monitor stand's bottom plate, but this is a minor issue for us, since everything is placed on a flat black TV stand/component cabinet in our den. With a plasma bias backlight added behind the whole assemply, the finish differences are barely noticeable in our setup.

Best of all, the Monitor Radius 225 has good specs -- 90dB/55-25Khz (+/-3db), And as luck would have it, the radius 225 delivers what is termed a 'bright' sound that just happened to match the timbre of four existing Boston Acoustics speakers we had already attachd to our HT system for left/right mains and side surrounds. This may not be a high-end audophile system, but it is not a budget, $300 speaker-in-a-box system either. We love the results.

Quote:

I was looking to get a plasma TV after finally getting our built-in cabinets "expanded"...

I already ordered some Yamaha speakers - the YSP-1. It is an all-in-one set that is long, and intended to sit in front of the set. I didn't realize that would pose a problem until I measured my space and factored in the speakers...

The Yamaha YSP-1 is 7.75" high, 40.5" wide, and 4.5" deep.

It seems like a few 42" plasmas will work, but the top of the speaker will fall just below the bottom of the screen. I can't picture if that will look bad or not.

Any advice on how the speaker set up might look (good or bad) would be appreciated as well.

I'm hoping to buy a set tomorrow, and this and the similar sized plasma sold at Best Buy seemed to be the two that would work. This plasma (the Pioneer) happened to be the one I was looking at anyway (before I realized the space issues), so if it works out, that would be cool.

Thanks,

Jason

Geo
post #467 of 583 Old 07-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Do you have a photo of what this setup looks like? it sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly and if it looks great I may just pick up one of these plasmas.
post #468 of 583 Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcobb1 View Post

Dcobb1,

We've been using the Pio's side speakers as the center channel in just the same manner as you described since our purchase last month. It sounds pretty good - not as good as our Klipsch; but, since we are space limited this works much better than I expected it too .

hope this helps, -Rick
post #469 of 583 Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the information.

Well, I have the Pio set - pretty nice looking, without even tweaking anything yet...

Quick question (couldn't find it in the manual) - can you make the side bars on 4:3 programming black instead of grey?

Thanks!

Jason
post #470 of 583 Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information.

Well, I have the Pio set - pretty nice looking, without even tweaking anything yet...

Quick question (couldn't find it in the manual) - can you make the side bars on 4:3 programming black instead of grey?

Thanks!

Jason

IIRC, Yes. If you read through all the Pio threads here there is a way through the service menu to change the pillarbox bars from grey to black. That was my original intention also, but I discovered that the "Wide" zoom mode does such a good job stretching 4:3 material in an unobtrusive way, I just use it nearly all the time for 4:3 material.
post #471 of 583 Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Hmmm... I read through this thread last night and didn't spot that (it is quite a bit to read in one sitting!). If someone could point me to that bit, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Jason
post #472 of 583 Old 07-16-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I read through this thread last night and didn't spot that (it is quite a bit to read in one sitting!). If someone could point me to that bit, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Jason

GRay bars reduce possibility of burn-in. Good idea to keep the gray bars.

Mike
post #473 of 583 Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 AM

Many of the cable and satellite stations now have their logo superimposed in the lower right corner of the screen. Will this cause a "BURN-IN" of the logo on the plasma screen?
post #474 of 583 Old 07-25-2005, 03:02 PM

I had my unit for about 2 weeks now. There was a setting for the "orbiter". I turned it on with the impression that it will move the screen around when the display is not 100% (bars on the screen) to minimize burn in. I have yet seen it work. Is there a way to "disable" some to the input ports when "scrolling" through the list of available inputs. I use a universal remote and the TV/VIDEO key scrolls from input 1 to input 5. My Sony Wega CRT had an option to skip unused inputs.
post #475 of 583 Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

I had my unit for about 2 weeks now. There was a setting for the "orbiter". I turned it on with the impression that it will move the screen around when the display is not 100% (bars on the screen) to minimize burn in. I have yet seen it work. Is there a way to "disable" some to the input ports when "scrolling" through the list of available inputs. I use a universal remote and the TV/VIDEO key scrolls from input 1 to input 5. My Sony Wega CRT had an option to skip unused inputs.

I believe that the orbiter does a fairly subtle shift. I have never noticed it but there are people who post here who claim to have seen it. As to the remote, I don't think there is a way to skip unused inputs. I would suggest getting a remote that can send the discrete codes for each input. I use a Harmony remote and I can directly address the inputs (labeled "laptop", "DVR", "DVD", "VCR") that I want without having to cycle through them.

Paul
post #476 of 583 Old 07-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylightdon View Post

Many of the cable and satellite stations now have their logo superimposed in the lower right corner of the screen. Will this cause a "BURN-IN" of the logo on the plasma screen?

It seems most broadcasters have redesigned their logos to reduce the possibility of burn-in. I've noticed some or all PBS logos are in different locations w/ some in the upper right hand corner. I've been using my 4312 for two months w/o burn-in. I reduced the brightness setting from dynamic to standard.

Mike
post #477 of 583 Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I have not seen one at the local Costco's and don't think they'll be there. I think the 4345 was a one-time thing online.

Having watched the 4312 and the 4345 have you noticed any difference in PQ?
post #478 of 583 Old 07-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having watched the 4312 and the 4345 have you noticed any difference in PQ?

If anything, the 4312 was slightly better, but I had it more dialed in. I just have not really spent time on the 4345 yet. Don't get me wrong, it's great, I just think it can be better.
post #479 of 583 Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:

If anything, the 4312 was slightly better, but I had it more dialed in. I just have not really spent time on the 4345 yet. Don't get me wrong, it's great, I just think it can be better.

The 4345 is still on the pio website. Does the media box generate a lot of noise?
I'd use it in a small 10' x 15' room.

I own a 4312 and have an unopened 4345 in my living room that I'm going to keep or send back unopened.
post #480 of 583 Old 07-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 4345 is still on the pio website. Does the media box generate a lot of noise?
I'd use it in a small 10' x 15' room.

I own a 4312 and have an unopened 4345 in my living room that I'm going to keep or send back unopened.

I have not noticed any noise at all from the media box. And I sit close to it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page