Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Google using the words Pioneer PDP-4304 manual

Here's one search result...http://www.retrevo.com/s/Pioneer+PDP-4304?rt=pd

As to your other Qs:

Blu-Ray should work, but it will display the image at 10801 or 720p, since those are the maximum resolutions supported by the display. Any calibration DVD should work fine. A couple of years ago, we picked up a copy of Digital Video Essentials at Best Buy.

Geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks, the link is exactly what I'm looking for before posting here I asked Pioneer the same question tgheir reply was to contact the parts dept.

I originally, set upo my 4314 using settings from avsforum and DVE disk
to get the colors back to where I like them I just backed of the brightness some more.

Thanks,

Mike

the d/l manual is very useful
Old 01-02-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

For calibration there is a detailed description here somewhere for manipulating the service menu calibration. (very advanced stuff, used by techs)

I did it for mine.....not sure if it made any difference)

-Rajiv
Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM

I've had this tv for at least 3 years, always hooked up to a cable box of some kind via HDMI with no problems. We switched to Fios tv a few months ago and after operating well, their motorola box threw an HDMI security error and won't display content for more than a few seconds. Now my HDMI DVD player, plugged into the same and only input, will display its internal screen, but any DVD content just comes out as a flashing blue screen. I've tried multiple cables and there is no HDMI switch in use.

I have found similar problems with the motorola boxes and comcast, though that was usually with Samsung TV's. Verizon is not familiar with the problem but is at least giving it to the engineers to look at. Does anyone have experience with this, or know if there's a way to reset the tv to switch off the HDCP flag, or whatever it is that's telling the content device that i'm a pirate?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the primaries and secondaries on this plasma are adjustable in the service menu??

When I go into the service menu I can see some cryptic settings....I cant recall them but they are seperate from the bias/gain stuff. What do they do? I tried adjusting them while looking at readings from the colorimeter but nothing much was happening while looking at a white window.

-Rajiv
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM

ken's settings are ultimately poor. they create more problems then they solve.

ex:
AD MAIN R OFFSET <=> : 129/127
AD MAIN G OFFSET <=> : 162/162
AD MAIN B OFFSET <=> : 128/128

162 for green offset???? honestly? it gives a freaking huge green bias, esp in darker areas!!

these settings have given me over-saturation, green bias, red-push, emphasized jaggies, and have just made everything look "off" to me.

perhaps for general viewing these settings might be ok, maybe, but for any critical viewing; fail.

and damnit, now i cant find my original written down settings.

maybe when im done fixing everything ill post setting proper to my tv.

forgot: using input 1 (pc) and input 5 (component) for viewing.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Time and time again we have been told that these settings are NOT unit independent............that means you simply cannot take someone else's settings and enter into your plasma and hope that the colors will be all-right.

You need a proper calibration done with a colorimeter and software.
I bought the X-Rite Display2 colorimeter and use it with the free software - HCFR. The results are excellent!

Of course the posted numbers do not match my plasma's final settings....just like I expected.

Hence.........please dont use posted numbers and expect the results will be awesome

PS: My greyscale is almost spot on, but the green primary is oversaturated. I'm still looking for a way to change the green primary from inside the service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonandgravy View Post

ken's settings are ultimately poor. they create more problems then they solve.

ex:
AD MAIN R OFFSET <=> : 129/127
AD MAIN G OFFSET <=> : 162/162
AD MAIN B OFFSET <=> : 128/128

162 for green offset???? honestly? it gives a freaking huge green bias, esp in darker areas!!

these settings have given me over-saturation, green bias, red-push, emphasized jaggies, and have just made everything look "off" to me.

perhaps for general viewing these settings might be ok, maybe, but for any critical viewing; fail.

and damnit, now i cant find my original written down settings.

maybe when im done fixing everything ill post setting proper to my tv.

forgot: using input 1 (pc) and input 5 (component) for viewing.

-Rajiv
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers View Post

I've had this tv for at least 3 years, always hooked up to a cable box of some kind via HDMI with no problems. We switched to Fios tv a few months ago and after operating well, their motorola box threw an HDMI security error and won't display content for more than a few seconds. Now my HDMI DVD player, plugged into the same and only input, will display its internal screen, but any DVD content just comes out as a flashing blue screen. I've tried multiple cables and there is no HDMI switch in use.

I have found similar problems with the motorola boxes and comcast, though that was usually with Samsung TV's. Verizon is not familiar with the problem but is at least giving it to the engineers to look at. Does anyone have experience with this, or know if there's a way to reset the tv to switch off the HDCP flag, or whatever it is that's telling the content device that i'm a pirate?

Thanks.

I've had my Pioneer for over 3 years as well, but on Fios for about a year. I just noticed these very same characteristics this weekend – ergo I’m here looking for answers. I’m getting sound via the HDMI, but no picture. I also received the security message as well, so I assumed it was just the Fios content/box, but as you stated, the DVD player is not working either. Component input is working fine, but I need the two HD inputs for cable box and DVD. I rotated all equipment and cable with a Toshiba LCD and confirmed the problem is specific to the Pioneer. Did you make any progress with Verizon?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM

I have the same TV and have changed to FIOS a few months ago. I have used the regular HD Motorola box and recently upgraded to the DVR box without any such issues.

Not sure this helps but it may not be an issue with the TV unless it is some local problem that does not occur out here in California.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, this is scary, as we have one of these older Pio HD displays connected to a Motorola DCT6412 Phase III (with HDMI) with Comcast. While the Moto 6412 is a very problematic and unreliable DVR, the HDMI has always worked. We'd like to dump Comcast for greener fields (no pun intended), but this gives me pause. You definitely are encountering an HDMI handshake issue.

I don't recall if this HD display is a an HDMI v1.0 or v1.2 device, but what about your HDMI cable? Or did you recently change DVR's and start using a different model? Or maybe Verizon changed something about the HDCP handshake signal that's being transmitted. I see that resellers like Monoprice.com sell v1.3 HDMI cables these days. Perhaps you need a v1.3 cable to to translate between a v1.3 device and an older 1.2 or 1.2 device...or perhaps your cable just went bad.

Have you contacted Pioneer Tech Support (800-421-1404)? Once the cable company turns it on, there is no way to turn off HDCP (that I know of).

Please keep us all updated.

Geo
Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM

so just to post the update on the HDMI input issue - called Pio support on gmwedding's suggestion for my HDMI issue. The happy guy on the phone seemed to feel that since I did get a security error and I still get audio via the HDMI input, it could have been precipitated by a Verizon firmware upgrade and an HDCP conflict. I'll try Verizon, although I'm not too optimistic. When time allows (not much of that these days) I'll try the dvr from my other set to see if I get the same results. I will post back with any progress or conclusions. I'll also look into the cable.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Hi, I've had the 4304 for a while now. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but when I turn it on it blinks twice. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Or does anyone have a service manual handy? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM

In regards to the FIOS HDMI issue; it is a known problem with Verizon and here is the response I received from FIOS CS when it first occurred after a firmware update in July 2008:

"Thank you for the information. I do apologize for the trouble this issue may be causing you. The problem you are experiencing is a known issue. This is currently a glitch between our STB and your TV using HDMI connections. This issue is a high priority for us. We have a potential solution planned for 3Q08. Although you may have just recently experienced the problem, it has actually been around for a few months, affecting different brands in a slightly different manner. Unfortunately, for now, the only work-around, until the software update is released to correct it, is to use component cables, or lower the resolution to 720p. We do appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue and again, we do apologize for the inconvenience."

Needless to say, the suggested fix of viewing at 720P didn't work and the planned solution still hasn't happened so I'm still stuck using component cables.

Additional discussion on issue can be found here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...hilite=pioneer