Philips 42PF9630A HD Plasma - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3104 Old 08-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the auto works on all resolutions on my 42pf9630a/37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3104 Old 08-02-2005, 09:54 AM

Just wanted to put my two cents in here. I purchased the 42PF9630A a couple weeks ago. I just received my Samsung HD941 upconverting DVD player and am doing some tests with it which I will report on a subsequent post. This player has 3:2 pulldown capability. Before I received this player I had an older Pioneer DVD player without 3:2 pulldown capabilities. I played three movies with it on the new Philips and the black bars would not go away even when the Philips was set to widescreen mode.
I played "The Sixth Sense" last weekend with the new player set to upconverted 720P (progressive) output since the Philips can recognize this input. (I didn't try 480i or 480p as it requires the use of separate component output cables). The player has an HDMI output port with direct HDMI input into the Philips. The image filled the screen perfectly (no black bars). The picture looked much better with the Samsung (in 720P mode) then with the Pioneer. The image from the Pioneer seemed soft around the edges. The TV sensed the input from the Samsung as HD. When you're watching SD TV channels, all seven screen format modes are available on the Philips (I keep mine set to automatic). However, when the input is HD, the only available screen format options are widescreen & automatic (if on automatic and any black bars are detected, it will try & remove them). I'll give a full report on everything I've done on a subsequent post.......
post #63 of 3104 Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

I saw this set again at a local CC. The sales staff demonstrated the aspect settings and yes the automatic was just wonderful!. I am going back with my digital camera to try the built in jpeg browser. This is one impressive panel.
post #64 of 3104 Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Well I checked out the TV at CC and it is nice! It was mounted right next to a Panasonic HDTV and honestly I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I like how this TV has dual HDMI and media card slots. I'm not sure if the ambilight really interests me, I would have to try it out first.

One thing that confused me is that I thought the 7320 looked just like the 9630 except it didn't have ambilight. In reality, at the store it's completely silver with no black border like the 9630. I don't know if this is an optional color or if it's just that the 7320 is this way. It's not pictured like that on the philips web site. If the 7320 had the black border I woudl probably be inclined to save some bucks and go without ambilight.

Over all though I'm really excited about this TV. I also saw that it came down about $200 on CC's web site. Hopefully I can find an even better deal.
post #65 of 3104 Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 PM

I picked up a Panny Th-42pd25u at Costco about 3 weeks ago, but I've made up my mind that I'll be taking it back.

After seeing this tv in action, the PQ is superior to the Panny by far, and blows it out of the water as far as connections go.

The ambilight makes the blacks blacker. Call it a gimmick if you want, but it looks d*mn good.

This thing also has a built in HD tuner and split screen. I think Philips has a winner with this one.
post #66 of 3104 Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 PM

I will have my new Philips PDP tomorrow along with my SA 8300HD box. I will post a review when I get it. I am quite excited about this panel. Get on the bandwagon, this TV is special.
post #67 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 AM

This tv really shines on the SD channels in digital.

I'm using Cablecard *note-optivity will split his royalties on them if you say something good), but it did well with my sa4200 box, before.
Reminder, there is no TV Guide.
It is the best from Belgium.
post #68 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 07:22 AM

Hey guys I emailed Philips and they sent me links to the spec sheet and manual. The manual is 56 pages long and does a good job of detailing all the features. Here are the links:

Spec Sheet: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/4...37_pss_aen.pdf
Owner's Manual: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/4...37_dfu_aen.pdf
post #69 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Excellent. That product spec sheet is new (7/28/05). They've pulled out any mention of TV Guide (which is correct) and they now list CR as 10,000 and Brightness as 1500.
Nothing has changed for the instruction booklet (which came in CD form with the tv).
post #70 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 05:03 PM

Another question:

I've seen the stand on the 9630 pictured two different ways. Owners, which is it?

A

B

I'm hoping the second one.
post #71 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 06:14 PM

the second one. It seems that Philips, in its latest release of leaflets, has corrected pictures, etc. for this model and the 7320a, for both sizes. Many sellers' websites still have wrong pictures and info. See caser85's link.
post #72 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandau View Post

the second one. It seems that Philips, in its latest release of leaflets, has corrected pictures, etc. for this model and the 7320a, for both sizes. Many sellers' websites still have wrong pictures and info. See caser85's link.

Good to hear! I really didn't like the stand in the first picture. Do you know if the 7320 is all silver or not? That's another thing I haven't figured out about these models.
post #73 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahs911cab View Post

I will have my new Philips PDP tomorrow along with my SA 8300HD box. I will post a review when I get it. I am quite excited about this panel. Get on the bandwagon, this TV is special.

Looking forward to the review!
post #74 of 3104 Old 08-03-2005, 10:46 PM

I was wondering what others were experiencing (PQ and MBlocking) with this model and their choice of DVD players I currently have a Sony DVP-CX985V (400 disc changer) hooked up component directly to the display. I seem to have a great deal of Mblocking and wanted others opinion of a player they currently use with this display.

I have been looking to upgrade DVD players for a while now, but if the panny s77 has Mbocking issues of its own I may not be so eager to jump for an upconverter. A great 480p player would be fine if it will cut the MB issue I am having.

Thanks for any feeback and yes I have brought the levels down and done a rough calibration.

Digs

Digs
post #75 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 AM

I too am interested in this set. Do you guys see ghosting when the screen goes black? I am currently returning my current plasma because the ghosting is so bad that it is hard to see the picture if bright things switch to black. Id post a picture but I have to do 5 posts first.
The guy recs panny but this set has all the whistle and bells that I like.
post #76 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post

The specs are missing a few important points I would be interested in knowing.
Is the panel rated at 60000 hours to half life? What about the number of colors it can display and the shades of graduation? Anyone know???

Do you really expect to keep any current TV for 30 years?

"The truth is out there!"
post #77 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 AM

I know this is going to be long but I want to input everything I can into it. I have had the Philips 42PF9630A for about 3 weeks. I have had the Samsung HD-941 upconverting DVD player for about a week. Here are my findings........GREAT!!!!. First of all, this plasma has great connectivity (2 HDMI ports, 3 AV ports to name a few) along with a USB 2.0 port to upgrade firmware if needed as well as anything else you can hook a 2.0 port to (a computer?). It has two different memory stick slots for displaying pictures made from a digital camera. I had a little difficulty getting the skinny memory stick out of the slot (no biggie). You can do a slideshow with them, as well as rotating individual pictures if they were taken from a camera sideways. Resolution is great. I have Adelphia cable hooked up thru Component AV1 input. I had Adelphia bring in a dedicated line from the outside to hook directly up to their High Definition (HD) cable box (no splitting). They do not have an HDMI output port on their box. The HD looks incredible on the Philips especially if the program was recorded in HD (Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Numbers to mention a few). Right now, I have my settings at Contrast 47, Brightness 47, Color 44. It would look better with the Brightness and Contrast turned up but I'm going to leave it there for the first couple of months to play it safe. Color saturation looks great. Blacks look good on this unit. If I use the higher Contrast & Brightness settings the blacks show better contrast in darker scenes. You can tell when a program was recorded in Standard Definition (SD) & upconverted. It looks great but not as good as if it was HD to HD. Our cable system is currently upgrading their analog SD channels (2 thru 99) to digital. Almost all SD channels look good on the Philips from about 10 feet away and are very watchable. If you get closer to the screen you can tell the edges are soft. If there is any garbage being transmitted thru the cable line, the plasma seems to pick it up very easily. Click from SD NBC to HD NBC and the difference can be very obvious (depending on the program). I have had very 'little' blocking on the HD channels (never Jay or Conan, usually PBS HD & once again, very little). Ambilight adds a new dimension to viewing and it has options to set it to your own personal taste (nice touch). A nice glow is projected onto the wall (by the way, our plasma is on its stand about a foot from the wall). My wife doesn't care for it but for me it makes it easier to watch the screen. It's best used at night or in at least a slightly darkened room. There are seven different output screen formats. I have mine set to 'automatic' where if the plasma detects black bars (left, right or top, bottom) it will remove them (usually within 3 seconds). In most cases the black bars are left & right which in this case will stretch the edges to fill the screen leaving the middle of it pretty much unchanged. This feature gets it right most of the time. Depending on screen content, it may not behave the way you might want it to but BELIEVE ME its no problem. Usually, its a commercial where it may vertically stretch too far if black bars are on the top & bottom. All seven screen format modes work in SD. Only Widescreen and automatic are available when HD input is detected. You can use the cursor keys on the remote to move the image on the screen to the left or right a little bit. This is helpful as not all input centers everything right in the middle. The previous DVD player I had was an older Pioneer without 3:2 pulldown capability and without progressive output. I watched three moves with it input into the AV3 component input on the Philips. The edges seemed soft which surprised me because I never noticed it on the 32" Toshiba it replaced. I installed the Samsung using the HDMI output port and directing it into the HDMI 1 input port on the Philips. I upconverted the output on the Samsung to 720P since that was one of the resolutions the Philips can accept. VIOLA, the soft edges sharpened up. I tried 768P and it looked the same but there was little black bars around the whole image. I tried 1080i also but didn't notice any appreciable gain in picture quality. 480i & 480p are available but thru separate component output only. I did try the 480p setting using component output and input into AV2 port on the Philips but I seemed to notice the soft edges again. I had an issue (on the HDMI connection) with the audio (not video) cutting out momentarily every 3 to 5 minutes but that was solved with a call to the Samsung Company in that all I had to do was turn an option off on the audio setup screen (I had to turn the Samsung off and on for it to take effect though).
With the Samsung, while upconverting output to HD, you do have up to four output screen modes available to suit you tastes. Widescreen appears to be the best. If the program content was recorded in 4:3 mode (TV program) then it gives you some nice options. The picture output (using 720P upconversion) looks great on the Philips. DVD movies in 16:9 format (most are) fill the screen perfectly. I have not tried a 2.35:1 movie yet. I really haven't noticed any 'blocking' going on with the Samsung. If there is, it must be in areas I'm not paying close attention to. I was doing a lot of my testing with some X-Files episodes. I believe this unit is top-notch. I haven't noticed any problems with it. The updated Specs on this unit seem to put it in a higher class. At this price point (I paid around $2700 for it) it seems to be a great bargain. LMK is there is any areas I missed that you might want some input on.......
post #78 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelly89 View Post

I know this is going to be long but I want to input everything I can into it. I have had the Philips 42PF9630A for about 3 weeks. I have had the Samsung HD-941 upconverting DVD player for about a week. Here are my findings........GREAT!!!!. First of all, this plasma has great connectivity (2 HDMI ports, 3 AV ports to name a few) along with a USB 2.0 port to upgrade firmware if needed as well as anything else you can hook a 2.0 port to (a computer?). It has two different memory stick slots for displaying pictures made from a digital camera. I had a little difficulty getting the skinny memory stick out of the slot (no biggie). You can do a slideshow with them, as well as rotating individual pictures if they were taken from a camera sideways. Resolution is great. I have Adelphia cable hooked up thru Component AV1 input. I had Adelphia bring in a dedicated line from the outside to hook directly up to their High Definition (HD) cable box (no splitting). They do not have an HDMI output port on their box. The HD looks incredible on the Philips especially if the program was recorded in HD (Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Numbers to mention a few). Right now, I have my settings at Contrast 47, Brightness 47, Color 44. It would look better with the Brightness and Contrast turned up but I'm going to leave it there for the first couple of months to play it safe. Color saturation looks great. Blacks look good on this unit. If I use the higher Contrast & Brightness settings the blacks show better contrast in darker scenes. You can tell when a program was recorded in Standard Definition (SD) & upconverted. It looks great but not as good as if it was HD to HD. Our cable system is currently upgrading their analog SD channels (2 thru 99) to digital. Almost all SD channels look good on the Philips from about 10 feet away and are very watchable. If you get closer to the screen you can tell the edges are soft. If there is any garbage being transmitted thru the cable line, the plasma seems to pick it up very easily. Click from SD NBC to HD NBC and the difference can be very obvious (depending on the program). I have had very 'little' blocking on the HD channels (never Jay or Conan, usually PBS HD & once again, very little). Ambilight adds a new dimension to viewing and it has options to set it to your own personal taste (nice touch). A nice glow is projected onto the wall (by the way, our plasma is on its stand about a foot from the wall). My wife doesn't care for it but for me it makes it easier to watch the screen. It's best used at night or in at least a slightly darkened room. There are seven different output screen formats. I have mine set to 'automatic' where if the plasma detects black bars (left, right or top, bottom) it will remove them (usually within 3 seconds). In most cases the black bars are left & right which in this case will stretch the edges to fill the screen leaving the middle of it pretty much unchanged. This feature gets it right most of the time. Depending on screen content, it may not behave the way you might want it to but BELIEVE ME its no problem. Usually, its a commercial where it may vertically stretch too far if black bars are on the top & bottom. All seven screen format modes work in SD. Only Widescreen and automatic are available when HD input is detected. You can use the cursor keys on the remote to move the image on the screen to the left or right a little bit. This is helpful as not all input centers everything right in the middle. The previous DVD player I had was an older Pioneer without 3:2 pulldown capability and without progressive output. I watched three moves with it input into the AV3 component input on the Philips. The edges seemed soft which surprised me because I never noticed it on the 32" Toshiba it replaced. I installed the Samsung using the HDMI output port and directing it into the HDMI 1 input port on the Philips. I upconverted the output on the Samsung to 720P since that was one of the resolutions the Philips can accept. VIOLA, the soft edges sharpened up. I tried 768P and it looked the same but there was little black bars around the whole image. I tried 1080i also but didn't notice any appreciable gain in picture quality. 480i & 480p are available but thru separate component output only. I did try the 480p setting using component output and input into AV2 port on the Philips but I seemed to notice the soft edges again. I had an issue (on the HDMI connection) with the audio (not video) cutting out momentarily every 3 to 5 minutes but that was solved with a call to the Samsung Company in that all I had to do was turn an option off on the audio setup screen (I had to turn the Samsung off and on for it to take effect though).
With the Samsung, while upconverting output to HD, you do have up to four output screen modes available to suit you tastes. Widescreen appears to be the best. If the program content was recorded in 4:3 mode (TV program) then it gives you some nice options. The picture output (using 720P upconversion) looks great on the Philips. DVD movies in 16:9 format (most are) fill the screen perfectly. I have not tried a 2.35:1 movie yet. I really haven't noticed any 'blocking' going on with the Samsung. If there is, it must be in areas I'm not paying close attention to. I was doing a lot of my testing with some X-Files episodes. I believe this unit is top-notch. I haven't noticed any problems with it. The updated Specs on this unit seem to put it in a higher class. At this price point (I paid around $2700 for it) it seems to be a great bargain. LMK is there is any areas I missed that you might want some input on.......

Do you see any image retention? Like when something bright shows then the screen goes black but the bright image previously shown is still clearly legible on the dark display untill another bright image whipes it away? Also is their a way to adjust the bars out of the HD channels that are HD but still display as 4:3 like the news when in 720 or above?
My wife is almost home and I have to go and drive an hour to pick one up since they are no where to be found right now around here
post #79 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelly89 View Post

some pics would be great!
Also, did you get the extended warranty and which retailer?
post #80 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Purchased at BB with a four year extended warranty for about $400...
post #81 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Frankenchrist. When the Philips is set in 'Automatic' screen format mode, the picture will be stretched out, removing the black bars. However, CBS HD broadcasts a signal with grey bars on the side. I believe it's part of the picture being transmitted. The Philips will 'not' remove these. It may be that it's looking for black and not grey. I'm not sure. NBC, ABC & FOX use black bars. The Philips will remove these.

Haven't experienced the image retention phenomenon you mentioned. I'll look for it.......
post #82 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 PM

for caser85-the 7320 is all silver (I don't own it, but that is what the new leaflet pdf files show and that is what they had in one of the large chains.

the only thing missing in the 9630 is the TV guide (for those who use cablecard). It had been planned but not implemented. Philips support indicated that it may show up at a later date through a firmware update (anyone know if that is technically possible?).

In any case, I will remind you guys of the importance of being able to download new firmware to these tvs. Also, remember that Philips makes an effort at doing things like that (if we use their DIVX DVD player as an example). The 7-15-05 update already has three fixes.
post #83 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 PM

Thanks mlandau. I'll have to cross the 7320 off my list then because I really like the black inside border. You're right, being able to update the firmware will be nice. Too bad they can't implement the TV guide with a firmware update!
post #84 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 07:56 PM

I haven't been able to see any residual screen effects with my unit. I have been looking since it was mentioned, too.

Digs
post #85 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Me neither. I haven't noticed any image retention anywhere yet. I'm pretty sure when I power it off at night that the screen goes black with no image left on it. Pretty sure I would have seen it. I'll take a closer look tonight. Same thing with switching inputs. I'll keep an eye out for any bright image, then going to a dark one & see if I notice anything.....
post #86 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 PM

I was in Best Buy tonight staring at this tv for a good 30 minutes, paid particular attention to when there was bright lettering on the screen and then went black, never saw any image retention.
post #87 of 3104 Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 PM

Just got back. What wall mount did you guys use? I used my existing Sanus VMPLs tilt model and one side of the bracket fits on right on the edge of the bracket with 1mm left and the other has one of the two arms on the support while the other is not attached to the bracket on the wall. It seems stable but I am kind of worried. I used the existing holes on the back of the plasma and did not take off the ones with the star fitting with the rubber pads needed to install the stand.
post #88 of 3104 Old 08-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

No I dont think Ill keep a set for 30 years. However having said that its important to know the half life of a panel if for no other reason than to ascertain what generation the panel comes from.
post #89 of 3104 Old 08-05-2005, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasite View Post

I picked up a Panny Th-42pd25u at Costco about 3 weeks ago, but I've made up my mind that I'll be taking it back.

After seeing this tv in action, the PQ is superior to the Panny by far, and blows it out of the water as far as connections go.

The ambilight makes the blacks blacker. Call it a gimmick if you want, but it looks d*mn good.

This thing also has a built in HD tuner and split screen. I think Philips has a winner with this one.

hey dallasite,
i recall seeing your post a few weeks ago about wanting that panny tv... looks like you found one? or is this costco tv a 42PA25U (instead 42PD25U)?? anyway, did you already return & get the philips unit?

i ask because i recently came across a philips HD model, but can not compare it to the panny like you have been able to - because no one here has anymore PD25s!! but i think i may have found an equally good or better model in the philips.

the philips unit i saw was a 42PF7320A. has anyone checked this one out or bought one? if so what did u like or dislike about it?
post #90 of 3104 Old 08-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post

hey dallasite,
the philips unit i saw was a 42PF7320A. has anyone checked this one out or bought one? if so what did u like or dislike about it?

The 7320 is pretty the same as the 9630 except it is without ambilight and is all silver. The price difference between the two is only about $200.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page