Philips 42" Plasma (42PF7320A) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2102 Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only thing I worry about is not being able to find out much about Philips reliability. PQ is good, maybe not the ultimate, but very good.

Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2102 Old 10-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Philips (42PF7320A) for 5 days now. I orginally purchased a Sony 50" LCD Rear Projection (KDFE50A10) and realized it was too big for my room. I thought about downgrading to the same model at 42", but for my original purchase price (which I already got the wife to sign off on ) I could get the philips. This set fits my room much better.

The picture quality is excellent and even SD and analog look decent (much better than the Sony). Just wishing HD was broadcast universally, guess we have to wait until 2009. Another main selling point for me was the 2 HDMI ports. I have a STB with HDMI output and a Sony Upscaling DVD player with HDMI output. DVD's and HD look awesome. For the price, you just can't get a better deal on PQ.

Now for the downside. First and foremost, the audio on this unit is HORRIBLE. This isn't a problem for most since a home theater hookup is used, but this is a must. The Sony I had originally purchased blows away the Philips. It gets difficult at times to hear speech, and I've tried to adjust the settings without much success. From my STB I have a very noticeable audio level difference between my SD & HD channels, the leveler with this set does not work as well as expected. Personally, I like to see on-screen the volume being adjusted, this set does not display that when increasing or decreasing volume. Since I haven't had this set for too long I can't be sure, but there doesnt seem to be way to save AV settings for each type of input, another big difference between the Sony and Philips. PIP, especially Dual Screen, looks great, but is somewhat limited by your choices of inputs to display in PIP.

Essentially, you will be very happy with PQ, but make sure you have a home theater hookup.
post #33 of 2102 Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM

I was playing with a remote for the 9630 (I'm thinking of getting the 50") and there is a menu setup option for OSD that allows volume to be shown.
Check to see that yours can do this also.
Ron

post #34 of 2102 Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldk988 View Post

I was playing with a remote for the 9630 (I'm thinking of getting the 50") and there is a menu setup option for OSD that allows volume to be shown.
Check to see that yours can do this also.
Ron

Thanks Ron! Got it to work. But it continually displays channel and input info. Is there any easy way for this to turn off?
post #35 of 2102 Old 10-21-2005, 09:33 PM

A couple of initial observations.

Picked up this set last weekend. I am very pleased with the price.

Have it set up with D*TV HR 250 via HDMI and an XBox via component

I also have a Pioneer Plasma which I really like set up upstairs. THis unit is for the basement.

Set up:
I thought the stand was on the cheap side. It does not seem that sturdy and you cannot adjust it at all.

THe TV lacks any good hand holds. The Pio has some which makes it less scary when moving it around.

PQ
SD is pretty good. Getting a little of the screen door effect on some channels. The Pio is slightly better.

HD is very good. Again, I would say the Pio is slightly better.

Comparing a bunch of similar sets at CC, my eyes indicated that the picture quality was equal to most of the ones they had set up.

Need to do some tweaking. Anyone willing to share their settings?

This TV has lots of features and connections. Lots of room to add things

The tuner is not picking up over the air as well at the direct tv tuner. It only picked up a few of the local stations. I do have some attena issues.

Overall, I am pleased. THe set seems to offer very good value.
post #36 of 2102 Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 AM

Just curious to know if the connection is through HDMI , do you still use the progressive feature from the DVD player ? Can this Philips plasma accept both NTSC and PAL progressive scan signal from the dvd player and playback without problem ?

Also this model is using HD panel instead of ED panel , is this correct ?
post #37 of 2102 Old 10-22-2005, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just picked mine up today and I think I like it. I haven't been able to pick up any HD channels yet. I'm waiting for the cable guy to come out with the cable card. I hooked it up straight to my cable without a box. It searches and finds my analog channels and over 200 digital channels. I can see the analog channels ok (as good as SD will be I guess) but the only thing I seem to get on the digital ones is some of the music channels. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #38 of 2102 Old 10-24-2005, 06:01 AM

Anyone know if Sams return policy is as good as Costco's?
post #39 of 2102 Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviDave View Post

Anyone know if Sams return policy is as good as Costco's?

It's very darn close. Reports (over on FW) are that Sam's has been actively trying to get the word out that they will match Costco's return policy.....
post #40 of 2102 Old 10-24-2005, 01:57 PM

I just picked this tv up this past weekend. Picture quality was good out of the box, I lowered the contract and brightness to 50% for break in thread (I read a post here about that). Picture definitely doesn't look as good at these levels on some darker channels. But once the break in period is over, I know how good the picture looks with the contact up to 80% and the brightness at 50%.

No HD or digital cable yet, this weekend Im getting the cable card installed. So far, so good though. Great TV for the price. I also have to update to the newest firmware from philips website released on 10/5/05.
post #41 of 2102 Old 10-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Is it true that Sam's will match a Costco warranty. Other than the interest free purchasing period, I don't see why anyone would buy this tv anywhere but Sam's or Costco give their return policy.

1.Cheaper purchase price
2.Free extended warranty
3.Can return anytime

How long will Sam's and Costco let you return a TV???
post #42 of 2102 Old 10-29-2005, 02:08 PM

Anyone know the service code for this set. I tried 123654 which gives liited info but not the hours.
post #43 of 2102 Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is my first HD tv. Bought it at Sam's two days ago. Picture looks okay with progressive scan dvd player. Not impressed with Direct TV (regular tuner not HD)

Should I return mine or am I just too picky?

I would be interested to see what other people's settings are on this TV.

thanks,
post #44 of 2102 Old 10-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Most HD sets including plasma don't look that good with many SD channels, even satellite. I have been looking at the 50" philips model at Sam's and got to finally compare it on HD to the 50 Samsung next to it and it was as good and maybe better. The other day, both units were on DVD and I thought the Samsung looked better. Bottom line, you've got a year to return it to Sam's so I'd wait till you tweak settings and get HD before doing anything. I'm pretty confident that you can make that set look awesome for most viewing.

Tony B
post #45 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So I'm very worried about my 2 day old 50 Philips plasma. There is so much noise during dark scenes. If I walk up close to the screen it almost looks like black snow on really dark parts of the screen. I have never seen this before on any of my other TV's. Is this normal can it be corrected? Also there seems to be like this solorizing effect on skin tones and dark scenes. It kinda reminds me the colorizing or polarizing effect on my DV cam. Is this something that is normal for plasmas? That doesn't bother me as much as the noise. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?
post #46 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Dubin View Post

So I'm very worried about my 2 day old 50 Philips plasma. There is so much noise during dark scenes. If I walk up close to the screen it almost looks like black snow on really dark parts of the screen. I have never seen this before on any of my other TV's. Is this normal can it be corrected? Also there seems to be like this solorizing effect on skin tones and dark scenes. It kinda reminds me the colorizing or polarizing effect on my DV cam. Is this something that is normal for plasmas? That doesn't bother me as much as the noise. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

This noise you speak of... is the reason why Plasma as a technology was just not the move for me. I couldnt get over the blotching on dark scenes.
post #47 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM

So this is normal?
post #48 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure. Have you tried tweaking the settings and color temp? Try turning off all the digital noise reductions circuits and maybe with and without Pixel Plus. I don't think you should be seeing this unless you're within a few feet of the screen. Good luck.

Which model do you have?

Tony B
post #49 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM

My model # is 50PF9630A. Would you sugest putting everything back to factory settings and start from there?
post #50 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I'm no expert, but that may be an idea. I know Cnet pretty much recommends all Digital noise circuitry and things like pixel plus are a bad idea. I must confess, I use some of them on my Pioneer. I'd be surprised if you can't find a good group of settings. Keep me posted as I had the Philips 50 on the top of my list.

Tony B
post #51 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 05:35 PM

So I should turn off the Digital noise reducer and pixel plus? What could that help correct?
post #52 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 08:33 PM

Well the sharpness at 0 and I just turned down the contrast and everything is still there. I tried playing a 720p X-Box game and it looked absolutely horrible with the noise running thru the picture and the solorizing effect. I really have no idea if this is how the set is suppose to be or I have a defective one. If I have a defective one what could be wrong with it. I've already exchanged TV's twice at Circuit City so I don't know if they would let me do it again. As far as burn-in is concerned there is some image retention that I can see when I turn off my DVD player or X-Box but it quickly goes away. But seriously the noise in the picture makes it look like I'm running everything thru an RF cable
post #53 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know why turning the stuff off is recommended. Seems counterintuitive, but most AV mags and Cnet say they add unwanted effects, make things worse. I donnno. Are you using at least component video cables? HDMI?

Tony B
post #54 of 2102 Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 PM

Both the DVD player and X-Box are using component cables. Could it be that I have a bad set?
post #55 of 2102 Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM

To anyone that has a 42pf3720a wall mounted:

could you PLEASE list any mounts that are confirmed to fit this TV. Philips, every mount etailer, and every mount manufacturer I've spoken with has listed mounts that SHOULD fit or MIGHT fit.

Just looking for some confirmation.

TIA.....
post #56 of 2102 Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The omnimout U3 tilt will fit. That's the one I've used. It will fit only with the extensions which are included with this mount model. I put up extensions on both sides, but you'd only need them on one side, really.
post #57 of 2102 Old 11-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Dubin View Post

Both the DVD player and X-Box are using component cables. Could it be that I have a bad set?

I think you ought to exchange the set for the same model. Or, could you bring your DVD's and X-box to try the floor model out. Most say that the sets should look better at home, but that's a generalization.

Tony B
post #58 of 2102 Old 11-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Going to make the call to CC today. Do you guys have any of these effects on your screen?
post #59 of 2102 Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 PM

New one will be here Saterday. Hope it is better
post #60 of 2102 Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Oliver,

I dont have any of the effects you indicate on your screen. Mine is clear as a bell.
From what you are describing it sounds like false artifacts and maybe banding. My experience with the Philips is that this type of thing is usually caused by bad signal quality , to include limited bandwidth and compression artifacts. As far as Pixel Plus 2HD it can only help. Once you get your set working youll see that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page