Philips 42" Plasma (42PF7320A) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2100 Old 07-04-2005, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered the Philips 42" Plasma(42PF7320A).. Does anyone have any information on this regarding whether its good or not. Did not see any reviews, but I got a good price on it and it had a nice looking display at the store.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2100 Old 07-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Anyone have any reports on this television?

I was looking at the Panasonic TH-42PD50U EDTV at CC and came across the Phillips 42PF7320A.

I know the Panasonic has gotten rave reviews but haven't been able to find much on the Phillips. Considering the Phillips is an HDTV with 768P resolution and has a few more features........how does it stack up to the Panasonic EDTV??
post #3 of 2100 Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well I have had the Phillips for a little while now and I think its a great TV. The picture is just wonderful and the only complaint I have about it is that the speakers sound a little underpowered to me. But before you paint a real bad image in your head, I am very used to listening to my Sony 60" LCD which has an amazing sound system built into it (I even believe it has a small subwoofer sitting it in somewhere). So to me any tv i listen to sounds weak.. I would give it a try and you would be getting true HD with this set. I just watched Troy on it two days ago and it looked absolutely spectacular. I would recommend this set.
post #4 of 2100 Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
I would be interested to know how are the black levels.
post #5 of 2100 Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmace View Post

Well I have had the Phillips for a little while now and I think its a great TV. The picture is just wonderful and the only complaint I have about it is that the speakers sound a little underpowered to me. But before you paint a real bad image in your head, I am very used to listening to my Sony 60" LCD which has an amazing sound system built into it (I even believe it has a small subwoofer sitting it in somewhere). So to me any tv i listen to sounds weak.. I would give it a try and you would be getting true HD with this set. I just watched Troy on it two days ago and it looked absolutely spectacular. I would recommend this set.

this is so odd, i just came across this tv yesterday when researching for a panny pd25 equivalent. can i ask what you compared this to before buying? also what kind of "deal" did you get? i have not seen it in person , so how did it look in the store versus other models you looked at? & what were they?
post #6 of 2100 Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

The first thing I will say before anything is, please go compare the TVs for yourself. What I like may be something that you absolutely hate. When I was buying this TV my wife and I set a budget. This was for our master bedroom and I was not going for the cream of the crop of TVs. I already have had the Sony 60" LCD for almost a year so I know what to expect when looking at HDTV and wasn't going to be WOWED by the beautiful picture since they all do look pretty darn good in HD. Another thing I would like to say is that the difference between this TV and the Panasonic is the difference is just users choice. I really couldn't see the difference between the two. Ok was the Panny's blacks a little blacker, sure, but not by some large difference.

I paid a little over $2500 at Circuit City for the TV which to me was great considering it was HDTV and not EDTV which was huge for me. Personally I have had very good success with Philips in the past which was a good thing to me. I was comparing it mostly to my Sony LCD and really like the deeper flesh tones it provided and the viewing angle was just great from everywhere you looked at it (to me one of the best features of Plasma). It had all the features I was looking for like HDMI, cablecard, etc. And the picture did look really good in the store and that was even compared to the $6000+ Pioneers.

Store appeareance only means so much to me, because it always looks different once you get it in your house under real lighting conditions and room size.

So for me, for the price, i feel I got a great TV and don't lose sleeping wondering if the Panny or any other one was really the better choice. So far there isn't anything that I feel is missing and I love the picture I get from it. I am sure I would be saying the same thing if i bought one of the other tvs as well.

Is there something special in a TV that you are looking for that your afraid that you might make the wrong decision?

In responsed to daniels1994 question. The black levels are much better than the Sony LCD that i have which i feel gives the place much more true to life color tones. Once again, for the price I paid, I think I got a good quality TV that may not be the best one out there, but can compete with alot of them
post #7 of 2100 Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 PM

thanks jeff. i pretty much agree with about viewing differences & comparing for yourself. trust me i'm not taking anyones word as gospel & the way to go. i am merely asking for your perspective so that i can better understand the product itself.

that being said, thanks so much for sharing. there are some things i'm looking for in a tv that i do not want to sacrifice or end up buying one with out. ironically they are things u mentioned: hdmi, cable card, PIP,.... from what i know, this unit has all of those AND its HD.
the other tv's i was considering were all ED's.

i currently have a 27" CRT so PQ is not going to be a finely debated issue for me. hence talk about comparitive black levels, shades of gray/color and flesh tones,etc.. bounce off me water in a hot greased skillet! most anything out there will be a HUGE improvement over what i have. i just want to ensure that what i have will last both build-quality & technically for the 10 years (tho i may opt to replace it anyway in 5).
post #8 of 2100 Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 PM

anyone else have one of these tv's or know about philips plasmas in general?
post #9 of 2100 Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM

I saw costco website has the TV. May take a visit to store to see if it is available there.
post #10 of 2100 Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBear View Post

I saw costco website has the TV. May take a visit to store to see if it is available there.

great let me know what u find out happybear.
post #11 of 2100 Old 08-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I went to Costco to take a peek at this TV but they said that it was only available via the Web. From reading the forums, I think I'm going to go to CC and take a look at plasma set. I'm also waiting for the price drop on the Panny's coming up this weekend to see how cheap the Panny plasmas will get.

Andy
post #12 of 2100 Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 PM

me too! i noticed that the philips (both the 7320 & the 9630) have been dropping in price on several online sites! i'm anxious to see where they will be after sept 1. if their price is low enuff on the 9630 i will get that one instead of the 7320.

speaking of pannys has anyone noticed the significant price reductions on the px25's? i'm am seriously considering this one as well.

i wish i had comparable spec sheets for both models (panny px25 & philips 9630). although i know ultimately it may come down to what i see in person.
post #13 of 2100 Old 08-25-2005, 03:19 PM

I looked at the philips 9630 next to a panny px50u. I want a 42 of one or the other but of course bestbuy had the 50" philips and the 37" panny across from each other. I thought the pictures were both great but philips won, the panny's colors were unrealistic and could see some pixelation that I didn't see on the philips maybe it was connected bad or something but the feed was the same so thats what I saw. The black level was a little better on the panny but I think that was because of its unrealistic colors. I still want to check out the 7320 because I can get a hell of a deal for that tv through a discount I can recieve philips.com. I could get a discount on the 9630 50" also but that would break my budget, they have all their tv's up for discount except for the 42" 9630 (of course).

Sony 42A10
SVS 25-31 PC Plus Subwoofer
Paradigm Legends Fronts and Rears
Paradigm CC370 Center
Yamaha 5660 Reciever
Sony nc665
PS3
post #14 of 2100 Old 08-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Hmm.. from checking out the Philips 7320 at Circuit City, I don't think the PQ for a HD broadcast on the Philips is quite as good as a Panny 42PX50U's. I wonder if this is just the way Circuit City has adjusted the settings on the Philips though. Still going to wait to see what the prices are on plasmas across the board after this weekend before I decide what to buy.
post #15 of 2100 Old 08-27-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1996 View Post

Hmm.. from checking out the Philips 7320 at Circuit City, I don't think the PQ for a HD broadcast on the Philips is quite as good as a Panny 42PX50U's. I wonder if this is just the way Circuit City has adjusted the settings on the Philips though. Still going to wait to see what the prices are on plasmas across the board after this weekend before I decide what to buy.

I was at Fry's No. Calif. and it must have been DLP day as only those sets along one wall had the best displays and a congregation of salesmen talking them up. The Phillips, Pannys, etc didn't look so hot. Then went to Circuit City and saw just the opposite. Go figure.
post #16 of 2100 Old 09-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Just saw this TV at Sam's. Looked good to me. Sorry for the separate thread.

Brian
post #17 of 2100 Old 09-03-2005, 01:56 PM

Congrats dude. I just got the Sammy 4262 myself. The panny peeps are payin 20 to 30% premium for the name i think to feel safe. And that safety is a fact cause they're nice sets, but I pocketed some big cash. All the glass makers have new generations so any name brand 42+ size is gonna be very nice, imo. Correct me if i wrg, but matsushita, lg-philips, and samsung are the big 3 glassmakers so they should all be very comparable. Cheers

Endless search for bang/buck nirvana...
post #18 of 2100 Old 09-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Does anyone have a full review of the 42PF7320A? I was surprised that there is very little info on this site, as this is the most informative on the web.
post #19 of 2100 Old 09-08-2005, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Saw the Philips at CC, looked like it was a bit out of focus/fuzzy compared to others.... but has a few features others do not have (i.e. automatic resizing of picture to fill screen)....
post #20 of 2100 Old 09-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Thanks csmith

I saw it on the CC website, thats where it caught my eye.
I believe I will be getting a $2500 store credit to my malfunctioning Panny PT-40LC12. I still haven't got the official OK, but I am planning none the less
post #21 of 2100 Old 09-23-2005, 05:46 AM

I installed it yesteday and connected it to my OTA antenna and an ADS HD Up converter. The PQ looks great on PBS DTV. Some of our locals here in the DC region are playing games with the power output level. Tested 480i to 1080i upconvert using "The Matrix" DVD. Fairly good clarity. You can not trust the box stores to have the sets properly tuned. CC and BB appear to only tune the sets they are trying to push. I purchased mine through a CNET verified store and had it freighted to the door for $500< than CC. I will integrate it later with Dish receiver.
post #22 of 2100 Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 PM

how do those who purchased these sets like them? This one is in the running for me now too... some good prices to be had... surprisingly less at cc than costco? what's that all about?
post #23 of 2100 Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 PM

This TV is currently $2299 at Sam's Club. Wonder how much lower it will as we're hoping to go HD around Christmas time.
post #24 of 2100 Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post

This TV is currently $2299 at Sam's Club. Wonder how much lower it will as we're hoping to go HD around Christmas time.

Under 2 at Sears. Seems like a great deal. More feedback from owners would be great.

Thanks.
post #25 of 2100 Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsman View Post

Under 2 at Sears. Seems like a great deal. More feedback from owners would be great.

Thanks.

10% off that in a few small chain ads in NJ and FL/GA.

Poster on FW says some sears have it in store for $100 less than their .com price.
post #26 of 2100 Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 PM

I just bought a Philips 42PF7320A a few weeks ago and now the display is flickering on and off. It hasn't been 30 days yet so I'm gonna bring it back. Nice picture and I hope it's just an isolated incident. Does anyone know who manufactures the Akai 50-inch Plasma?
post #27 of 2100 Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM

What do they mean by HDMI-Component PIP? I'm interested in this set and want PIP. I have PIP in my current set and just switch between different inputs. Could someone explain?

Thanks.
post #28 of 2100 Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepper View Post

What do they mean by HDMI-Component PIP? I'm interested in this set and want PIP. I have PIP in my current set and just switch between different inputs. Could someone explain?

Thanks.

I just purchased this set and the PIP function is extremely limited. Per the manual, your only allowed PIP between 1 HDMI source and 1 Broadcast source. My scientific atlantic 8300HD set top box provides HDMI output. I use a signal splitter, splitting the cable signal between my tv and set top box. This allows me to use the PIP function. The Dual Screen PIP function looks great but again is somewhat limited with audio. After playing with it for sometime, It has become easy to switch audio between the 2 sources. Can't wait for some football games this weekend.
post #29 of 2100 Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 AM

Is this the model with the ethernet port? If so, anyone try it out and see what it can do?
post #30 of 2100 Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 AM

I was looking at getting this TV and was trying to figure out why it was so low priced. 10,000:1 CR, 1500 bright, 1024x768, 2 HDMI, HDTV tuner seems too good for the price. I compared this to the panasonic or samsung for a grand more and lesser stats(3000:1, 1000 bright etc...1 HDMI) . What makes these TVs better then the philips or are no stats to backup the extra grand?

Also does anyone know the reponse time for this tv?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page