Official Hitachi Plasma HDTV Thread - HDT52, HDT51, HDS52, HDF52 ... - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds kinda like my situation: living room with lots of windows. I want to do a wall mount someday in the far future, but for now I'm using the power swivel stand. There really can't be enough said about the might of the power swivel stand in rooms where glare/reflections from multiple light sources is a problem. For tuning out those reflections, it works like a charm.

Not sure, but I think the mini-remote is exclusive to the director's series.

My viewing distances are anywhere from 6 to 20 feet and it looks great from anywhere. My personal preference is around 15ft. Your distances will be ideal.

I'm anxiously awaiting the PS3 as well (never been much of an Xbox fan). Not sure what you mean by screwed though. As long as it looks as good as the Xbox360 (I witnessed a few 360 titles on my TV over the holiday), I think we'll be very pleased

cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiredogs View Post

I'm thinking about gettig the Director's series, since I have a large bay window directly behind the couch opposite where I will mount the TV. It seems like an expensive upgrade, but I get a lot of glare on my Sony 32" direct view CRT. I don't need the guide, but I can't remeber if the "mini-remote" or any other upgrades are exclusive to the Director's series. I was about to give up on plasma due to the glare & burn-in. I watch a lot of 4:3, and hate to stretch, but I would for a 100 hour break-in.

My couch will put my head about 11.0-11.5 feet from the screen, and my other couch will be about 7.5-8 feet (laying down like a bum, of course). What are your viewing distances? Am I too close?

Will I be screwed when 1080p PS3 stuff is out?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 AM

Liked: 16
I second the use of the swivel stand in tuning out glare and reflections.
post #453 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 AM

dvbnovice- I'd wager inputs 3 and 4 are not component, they're composite, ie rather than all 3 sockets being for video connection, the top hole is for a video cable, the 2 below are L & R audio....

Eagles may soar to great heights, but weasels seldom get sucked into jet engines.....
post #454 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM

Those of you with a Hitachi set-- how warm does your "control box" get? My screen is fairly warm, not too bad really. But the box in the component rack gets *hot* - almost too hot to touch! The internal fan in the unit sounds like it's working - I can definitely hear it spinning. I have it sitting on a shelf by itself with a good 6" of clearance above it. I drilled a couple of extra 2" holes in the back of the rack for more airflow to no avail. The other components in the rack (of which two are DVRs which tend to get quite warm when stacked) are all maintaining a comfortable temperature.
post #455 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 03:04 PM

6th Ave has the director series and you can get it for maybe ~$600-$700 more than the HDS if you feel like haggling a bit.

I am getting my directors series on Tuesday...can't wait!

Anyone get a HTPC hooked up yet?? I run MythTV on my projector and want to do the same on the Hitachi.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarnj View Post

...I went to local CC and compare the two competing TVs. They were showing some football game and I must say the Panny's green color looked better than Hitachi's. I tried tweaking the colors using the remote but I could not do very well. Could it be that the Panny was caliberated and Hitachi was not?

Any good store in NJ that carry Hitachi 52HDS/T52 and Panny 42PX500 that I can compare them side by side. I would prefer T over S in Hitachi.

Oh and BTW, I compare Pioneer 4361 with others in BB, I must say it was the best!

post #456 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Hi I just purchased the 42hdt51 and will take delivery Monday. How much better is the 42hdt52. I personally like the the 51's cabinet and the external media box. Does anyone know why they did away with the media box on the 52's.
post #457 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 04:37 PM

I meant that if the PS3 is 1080p, I'd be screwed if the Hitachi wouldn't display it...

So 8-11.5 feet wouldn't be too close as to see the screen door or whatever? I'm getting closer on deciding, with this panel as a top contender -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooley View Post

My viewing distances are anywhere from 6 to 20 feet and it looks great from anywhere. My personal preference is around 15ft. Your distances will be ideal.

I'm anxiously awaiting the PS3 as well (never been much of an Xbox fan). Not sure what you mean by screwed though. As long as it looks as good as the Xbox360 (I witnessed a few 360 titles on my TV over the holiday), I think we'll be very pleased

cooley

post #458 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post

Those of you with a Hitachi set-- how warm does your "control box" get? My screen is fairly warm, not too bad really. But the box in the component rack gets *hot* - almost too hot to touch! The internal fan in the unit sounds like it's working - I can definitely hear it spinning. I have it sitting on a shelf by itself with a good 6" of clearance above it. I drilled a couple of extra 2" holes in the back of the rack for more airflow to no avail. The other components in the rack (of which two are DVRs which tend to get quite warm when stacked) are all maintaining a comfortable temperature.

what model do you have? The new 42" does not use a seperate control box
post #459 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froll View Post

You will love the hds52. Here's my suggestion: Spring for a new DVD with HDMI (I went for the Sony which upconverts to 1080) then all you'll have are 2 HDMI's to run. Then optical audios or coax from each device to the receiver. The advantage here is the variable wife factor. My wife can't figure out anything therefore all she has to do is turn on the TV and she gets sound without having to turn on the HT setup. I on the other hand never listen to the TV speakers. Aside from the gorgous pix you'll get from the Hitachi, the dual HDMI is great. Whereas the back of my RPT Pioneer looks like a NASA control board, I now only have 2 cable that I had to bury from the Hitachi. Hope this helps.

What model sony did you get ?
post #460 of 1879 Old 12-31-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:

You will love the hds52. Here's my suggestion: Spring for a new DVD with HDMI (I went for the Sony which upconverts to 1080) then all you'll have are 2 HDMI's to run. Then optical audios or coax from each device to the receiver. The advantage here is the variable wife factor. My wife can't figure out anything therefore all she has to do is turn on the TV and she gets sound without having to turn on the HT setup. I on the other hand never listen to the TV speakers. Aside from the gorgous pix you'll get from the Hitachi, the dual HDMI is great. Whereas the back of my RPT Pioneer looks like a NASA control board, I now only have 2 cable that I had to bury from the Hitachi. Hope this helps.

Froll,

I have another question for you. Since you are providing HD video signal via HDMI to the Hitachi, and then decoding audio separately through your receiver, do you ever get any lip-sync errors?

I'm looking to buy a Yamaha 657 receiver vs the Marantz sr7500 and I was deciding if I need the lip-sync correction features.

Devan
post #461 of 1879 Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM

This is probably a dumb question/statement but...

I just got my Hitachi 42", the 42HDS52 model. I won't get my HD cable box from comcast until later this week. Couldn't wait to set it up until then...of course. The picture looks much better than I thought it would. I'm only using gold plated RCA's, for the TV and DVD (old setup wires). Still, looks really good, pretty impressed. I have the HDMI cable already just waiting for the box and tomorrow I'm going to get the Component wires for the DVD player and gaming system.

Few things I noticed...

1. When watching a DVD I had a black flicker, not all the time but sometimes, when watching the movie. Not in the movie picture itself but above and below the picture (widescreen). Is this something that will clear up when using Component wires? Read a few things in this forum about the flicker but there was no real response on if it was still happening, if it went away, or what cables were being used, etc..

2. When watching a DVD there was a haze to the background walls and on the face of the actors, some shots not all shots. Wondering if this will clear up with Component wires as well?

3. When watching cable the White level wasn't so bright, again not all the time but sometimes. Like at the end of a car commercial (there are so freaking many) when the whole screen is white and there's just a little bit of black text. It looked kind of grey not a bright white. Is this something that will clear up with the HDMI cable/HD cable box?

On all issues I'm assuming that the with the wires I'm using right now, gold plated RCA's, that the tv's picture isn't being used to it's full potential. Or at least I'm hoping so.

As far as the black levels, I think they're awesome. I'm sure it'll be even better with the correct wires.

Thanks in advance for your response.
post #462 of 1879 Old 01-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreene View Post

1. When watching a DVD I had a black flicker, not all the time but sometimes, when watching the movie. Not in the movie picture itself but above and below the picture (widescreen).

My Pioneer did the same thing until I went into the setup of the DVD player and changed the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9. Check your DVD player to see if it's still set for your older tv 4:3. It took much frustration and missing hair before I figured this out.
post #463 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 AM

I don't have any lip sync problems w/ DVD (using Sony NS70H) but I do from time to time have sync issues w/ Comcast (Phase III 6212). But those sync issues, when they occur, happen regardless of whether I'm listening to sound through the internal speakers using HDMI or through the receiver via optical audio. I believe from reading other posts that it is a Comcast issue. Hope that helps
post #464 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 07:58 AM
cny

Quote:

I don't have any lip sync problems w/ DVD (using Sony NS70H) but I do from time to time have sync issues w/ Comcast (Phase III 6212). But those sync issues, when they occur, happen regardless of whether I'm listening to sound through the internal speakers using HDMI or through the receiver via optical audio. I believe from reading other posts that it is a Comcast issue. Hope that helps

Hi to everyone. Just joined the forum. I's good to find a place to be able to get the correct information, thanks always for any input.
I recently purchased 42HDX62 ( build date November 05 ). Am ( ancient ) novice when related to HT. I am having lip sync problems also, one reason I am delighted I found this forum. Right now I have everything connected through component connections ( still trying to learn the best connections for the whole system , some new some old, to get the ultimate capable performance ) Have not noticed any DVD lip sync problems :-) but broadcast TV has the problem to different degrees. Sometimes less noticable than others and sometimes no problems. Routing signal through Time Warner DVR box. Is this a problem with the cable box ???? Jeez this is frustrating as heck and before I freak out and contact Hitachi I wanted to see what help I can find from you all. I don't have a lot of confidence in the seller/installer. When they were installing the whole system, and I'm trying to understand everything, I ask the installer ( the brother-in-law ) does he use AVIA or some other set up tweaking system his response was, " everyone I know that has used that says it is no good and they throw it in the trash". Holy S--- , I'm in trouble and I just wasted $300 for the install and set up, pounds through my head.
post #465 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiredogs View Post

I meant that if the PS3 is 1080p, I'd be screwed if the Hitachi wouldn't display it...

Whoa! Yeah we would be screwed! Is it a serious possibility that the PS3 will be 1080p only? Or are you just concerned that you'll buy a TV now that won't be able to display the full potential of the PS3?

If the latter is the case, it won't be an issue for me. Hell, I just started using a component PS2 connection last week I'll be able to live with 720p or 1080i from a gaming console for a long time.
post #466 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreene View Post

This is probably a dumb question/statement but...

I think it's safe to say that once you upgrade your composite connections, you'll see a huge improvement and probably even solve most of the issues your seeing now. I recently upgraded my PS2 connection to component and was blown away by the difference in color, sharpness, and detail. Also noticed big DVD improvements using component instead of composite.

Just hang in there until you upgrade those connections
post #467 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 09:51 AM

I've gotten rid of my old audio system and I'm in the process of upgrading, so for the time being I'm not using anything but the internal TV speakers (model 55HDS52).

Anyone else using the TV speakers only?
If so, what audio settings are you using?

Thanks!
post #468 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Cooley:

Are you still getting the black flicker in dark scenes? I am with the 55HDX 62 and it is bothersome. I like everything else about the set. I am calling Hitachi tomorrow to see what I can find out about this.

JHellow
post #469 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhellow View Post

Cooley:
Are you still getting the black flicker in dark scenes? I am with the 55HDX 62 and it is bothersome. I like everything else about the set. I am calling Hitachi tomorrow to see what I can find out about this.

Yes, but it's not as bothersome now. I have a few theories on the reason; (a) it's diminishing on it's own (b) tweaking the settings has made it less noticeable (c) I'm just getting used to it. In truth, it's probably a combination of all three.

I believe that I've done all that I can to lessen the issue with my current equipment. I see it more with DVDs than anything else and I'm using an old player currently. Once I upgrade my player, I will get a little more serious about finding out where the problem is. I haven't been so gung-ho about finding a cure for this issue since all the reading of examples with almost every major brand having some issues with "flicker" / "black level retention" / "brightness retention" etc.

So I'm content for now, but I will call Hitachi after my DVD player upgrade if there is no improvement. I would still love to have a good technical explanation as to what exactly is happening. Let us know how your call to Hitachi goes.

cooley
post #470 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 02:54 PM

Cooley,

I purchased a 42hdt52 on saturday and exchanged it today due to the occurance of dark scene flicker. I haven't been exposed to many plasmas in a home theatre environment so I'm not sure if they all behave this way.

There's a new unit waiting for me to see if it's a problem across the Hitachi line; if it is the set's going back and I'm off to try a different brand.

Whether it's this retention issue or the dynamic controls never quite turning off I'd really like to know.

Cheers
post #471 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccos View Post

Whether it's this retention issue or the dynamic controls never quite turning off I'd really like to know.

Same here. In my opinion, this issue is the only thing keeping the set from being perfect. Keep us informed on your experiences with the replacement TV.
post #472 of 1879 Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM

I'll definitely keep you posted once I get home to run it through it's paces.

I agree with you regarding the set, apart from the "flicker", it's gorgeous, the image is stunning, and the features can't be beat.
post #473 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 AM

Cooley,

Set up the second 42hdt52 last night. The abundance of dark scenes in Charlie and the chocolate factory sent it into black level Tourette's. I'm going to continue breaking the set in for a couple more days, but it looks as if it's going back.

It's sad as it's such a nice panel.
post #474 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooley View Post

Same here. In my opinion, this issue is the only thing keeping the set from being perfect. Keep us informed on your experiences with the replacement TV.

Have been playing with my 55HDS for about four weeks now and agree that this is only thing keeping it from perfect. The issue only really bothers me in very dark scenes and is much more noticeable to me when room is dark. Agree wih all previous recommendations to turn off dynamic contrast and black enhancement.

I've set up my Night settings specifically to mitigate flicker problem. While flicker is not completely eliminated, it is only present in the most extreme dark scenes and is still liveable. Do sacrifice some contrast, but for me, eyes adjust quickly and not getting frustrated with flicker is worth it.

Contrast 46
Bright 54
color 45
tint 3 to red
sharp 62
color temp medium
black enh. off
dyn. contr. normal
noise off
post #475 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 AM

I'm currently running very low contrast and brightness for break in purposes, probably making the problem worse...whichever way we cut it though, it's still there.

Have any of you experienced this problem with other plasmas as well? Is it a problem that's common to the technology?
post #476 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I'm currently running very low contrast and brightness for break in purposes, probably making the problem worse...whichever way we cut it though, it's still there.

Have any of you experienced this problem with other plasmas as well? Is it a problem that's common to the technology?

IMO yes it is a plasma problem. I keep writing about it on this forum and I've asked myself why do I continue to write about, because I no longer own a plasma. For one reason it caused me a lot of stress. Also because I think when you purchase a tv be it LCD flat panel or plasma you should be a informed consumer. Now plasma guru's have told me that its just a few in the minority that complain about this or see it. I believe that it is from display to display how bad it might be. And there's alot of names for it and I see you added the "tourette" one. Black shift, black level changing, black level retention, flicker, and probably the most accurate one is dc restoration. Do a forum search and type in one of these names and theres alot written about it. Also some members say they can live with it, I couldn't it was to annoying for me. I'm sure that all technologies aren't perfect but LCD fits me better, and I'm sure we can find something wrong with it too. Its not a perfect world.

These are just my opinions.
post #477 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

I couldn't it was to annoying for me. I'm sure that all technologies aren't perfect but LCD fits me better, and I'm sure we can find something wrong with it too. Its not a perfect world.

I have to agree, I can't tolerate it either.

It's not a perfect world, but that particular trait is just too much to compromise on as it's glaring.

May I ask what plasma set you owned prior to your lcd? And what lcd you own now?
post #478 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Miccos,
I had a 50 inch Onyx Panny and now I own a Sharp lc-37d5u.

These are just my opinions.
post #479 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Cooley,

Set up the second 42hdt52 last night. The abundance of dark scenes in Charlie and the chocolate factory sent it into black level Tourette's. I'm going to continue breaking the set in for a couple more days, but it looks as if it's going back.

It's sad as it's such a nice panel.

Man reading these posts about the black flicker is definately dishearting. I really like this TV but I feel the same way. When the HD box comes in and the new cables are hooked up, if this thing still is having the black flicker issue it may be going back.

Keep you posted.

P.S. Has anyone contacted Hitachi about the issue?
post #480 of 1879 Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Rooster - I was trying to get my set to do the black flicker thing, so i copied your settings on my 42hdt52 and watched some bits of Aliens and -lo- in the begining sequence when they open up the ship and find Ripley, the near black background shifted rapidly to a gray, then to black, back to gray as other objects of varying intensity appered onscreen. it was very faint and i drove my missus up the wall watching it over and over to see if it was really there. Went back to my old settings where contrast>brightness and it wasn't detectable. Went back and played some more and noticed that whenever i had the brightness value set a chunk above that of the contrast, the flicker became faintly noticable. Now as a disclaimer, the effect of changing my brightness control doesn't seem to work very fluidly. There is very little difference between 0-34 then at 35 it does a little brightness "jump", changes marginally between 35 and about 63ish then it does another big gain "jump", then little change between that and 100. Anybody experience this ?

Eagles may soar to great heights, but weasels seldom get sucked into jet engines.....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page