Official Hitachi Plasma HDTV Thread - HDT52, HDT51, HDS52, HDF52 ... - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1879 Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc View Post

the 52a is different processing than anything previous. Color on it needs to be around 30, its usually different on other models. The lack of color mgt makes colors a little off, but its still a great tv.

Are you talking about the color on the 52a or the 51? What should I set the color to on my 51?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1879 Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Liked: 12
The fan on my 42HDT52A whines while the TV is running. I have read the fix for it while the TV is off by disabling the TV Guide but mine had a high pitched whine I could hear all the time unless there were action scenes and such. It has gotten louder over the past few months. I finally had enough.

So I peeked around back with a paper towel tube to my ear to make sure of what I was hearing and then put a tooth pick on the fan's "Center Hub" to stop it and that proved to be it. The fan is a low speed unit and stopping it only requires a soft touch.
I got my hands on the service manual and found the fan is called a POD Fan. (Point of Deployment). It's soul purpose to cool the Cable card. Well, I don't have a cable card.
My intentions were to unplug it and see if the TV would still run. There are some MFG TV's with fans for other cooling functions that will shut down the TV if the fan fails. This was not so for the POD Fan. She runs without it.

I pulled the back cover, and removed 4 screws and removed the fan plate and taking the fan off of it. Do not concern yourself with screw No.3. The pic below shows a panel out of the TV but you only have to remove the main back cover and the smaller fan plate in the pic. The bottom two screws are covered by a sticky gasket strip. Peel if off with care and it will stick back on for reassembly.

A pic below is included for you cable card guys who want to replace the fan. The screws do not thread into the fan housing, they go through threading into a small metal plate behind it. It is a 5.volt 60mm fan with a 50mm mounting hole pattern.

Knock on wood this is a fantastic TV. I have no desire to upgrade it as she displays a wonderful picture.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #1863 of 1879 Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Hi, I inherited a 42HDX62A plasma TV recently from my landlord. Unfortunately, its power swivel stand part # QJ01831K is missing. Hitachi no longer carry any spares for the unit. Does anyone have a spare stand for the 42HDX62A that they can sell for cheap? How else can I place the TV on a level surface? Can I possibly manage without a stand. The TV is extremely bulky and is a bitch to move. Any ideas are most welcome.
post #1864 of 1879 Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM

You should search every authorized Hitachi Service center you can reach looking for one that has one in his bone yard. If that is fruitless start on TV repair shops.

You want that stand. I love mine.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #1865 of 1879 Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 AM

I have one if your interested...
post #1866 of 1879 Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM

saldny44, that's great to hear. I am sending you a private message. Thanks for replying!
post #1867 of 1879 Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM

That is some Amazing L:uck!

You will love the swivel. A lamp or window gets in the pic you just turn it from the chair. You can gently push it by hand too if like me when in the kitchen I need to walk over and swing it.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

post #1868 of 1879 Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Well - let's hope I can get it from saldny44....

I will post back if it is a success... The TV looks sad lying on the floor on the cardboard with the wires all hanging out. Have you ever tried connecting the TV to the output of a laptop (that is what I am going to be using it for - as an über-big workstation - which is why I would really like the stand.)
post #1869 of 1879 Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Just set up the activities correctly, and when you click "watch tv" or "watch dvd", it will select the correct input for you.

Just make sure you set up everything correctly in the web-based wizard.

Does anyone know if the input can be selected manually? Like by pushing some combination of the five buttons on the front of the unit.
post #1870 of 1879 Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicplasma View Post

Well - let's hope I can get it from saldny44....

I will post back if it is a success...

Well... it's been a month now and unfortunately, saldny didn't reply back. I am still looking for a stand for the 42HDX62A plasma TV. If anyone has a spare one that they are looking to sell, please message me. Thanks!
post #1871 of 1879 Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 PM

Speaking of the 42HDX62A, I get a gray "No sync. Signal." box on the screen even when there is picture/sound when connected to HD set-top boxes via HDMI (have tried 3 different Motorola HD set-top boxes from both Cox and Verizon FiOS). Turning off/on the TV usually resolves it, but it's annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?
post #1872 of 1879 Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like an HDMI handshaking issue.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #1873 of 1879 Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM

I have a very nice, top of the line (4 years old, paid $4,000.00 for it) Hitachi Director Series 55 inch plasma. I love this TV

3 weeks ago the picture went out, but the sound is fine. Paid a repair man to tell me the logic board had gone out and it would cost between $400.00 - $500.00 for parts and with labor you are looking at $900.00. Found out later that the part is about $400.00 and labor is included. Now the question

The repair person said when the logic board goes out the next thing is the power supply, said he sees this all the time on plasmas. Also, there is no way to tell it's just the logic board, he can replace it but he may still have to replace another component to get it working. Also, if it is fixed now, more than likely in 6 months something else will go out. He said they don't build these to last more than 4-5 years these days.

Based on this we went out and dropped some cash ($2,300.00) for a Sharp LC-60LE835U LED flat panel. Figured its better to spend the money on a new TV.

But now that we found out the cost to repair the Plasma may be as low as $400.00 I am wondering if I take the Sharp back and spend the $400.00 to maybe get the plasma working again. I would save about $1,900.00 bucks if this works. But at the same time, if I am dumping money into a plasma that will break again then its not worth it.

Any feedback or comments on this would be great, trying to figure out what direction to head here.

Thank you
post #1874 of 1879 Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM

I have repaired two Hitachi plasmas, a 50 inch and a 55hds52. Both had the same failure, a chip had failed in the "scan driver" boards along the left edge of the set when facing the back side. The chips can be obtained on Ebay but it is a very demanding soldering job involving hot gas to remove the old chip and to reflow the new chip. Once soldered it has to be thoroughly cleaned and sealed with something like silicon rubber.
Troubleshooting a plasma can be a nightmare but this seems to be a common failure and it is very easy to detect when the screen goes dark. You have to remove the two scan driver boards and do a continuity test across the supply capacitors. If you detect a short then at least one of three chips using that supply section have failed. To localize which chip has failed you can visually inspect and and also apply a current limited supply to the shorted supply rails and feel around for the chip that warms up. About 200 milliamperes will do.
Of course there are a TON of electronics in these sets that can fail but this seems to be the first thing to check.
Good hunting.

Dennis in Minneapolis
post #1875 of 1879 Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Hi again,

It's been a while since I posted last. If anyone is still willing to sell their Hitachi stand to me, I'd love to hear from you! We have tried hanging up the TV but the thing is far too heavy for comfortably lifting between the two of us. Please message me if you would like to sell me your Hitachi Plasma TV stand! Thanks!
post #1876 of 1879 Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicplasma View Post

Hi again,

It's been a while since I posted last. If anyone is still willing to sell their Hitachi stand to me, I'd love to hear from you! We have tried hanging up the TV but the thing is far too heavy for comfortably lifting between the two of us. Please message me if you would like to sell me your Hitachi Plasma TV stand! Thanks!

Where are you located? I'll have to confirm with "the boss" but I may have a power stand I'd be willing to sell. Let me know what you think a fair price would be. Only other concern would be shipping costs, the stand isn't exactly light.

EDIT: reply to the post - I don't check here often so a PM would go unnoticed for months....
post #1877 of 1879 Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post

Where are you located? I'll have to confirm with "the boss" but I may have a power stand I'd be willing to sell. Let me know what you think a fair price would be. Only other concern would be shipping costs, the stand isn't exactly light.

Thank you for your reply! Is the stand from a 42 inch Hitachi plasma? I wrote to the Hitachi customer service recently about saldny44's stand and they seemed to think that the 55 inch TV stand may not fit the 42 inch TV. {I must mention that I have my doubts about this claim since the manuals for both the 55 and the 42 inch TVs indicate that the stands have the same parts number.}

The TV is in Chelsea, NYC. Would current ebay prices be an indication of a fair price? Approximately how heavy do you think the stand is? Will certainly cover the entire shipping cost.
post #1878 of 1879 Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Sonic - your link only had fixed, non-power swivel stands. I have a feeling we may be thinking in two different price ranges. Look up eBay item: 290609717107 It's a brand new one that'll run you roughly $200 shipped. Mine is black, used and from an HDT42. I was thinking in the $100 range plus shipping. I have no idea on weight, as I haven't touched it since I put it in the garage several years ago. However, I do remember it being pretty hefty.
post #1879 of 1879 Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Lots of information on this thread about Hitachi Plasmas and ALiS panels.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page