Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 185 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5521 of 5600 Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont' think there is a setting and if there were, I would shut it off. I dont know why you would want that he image is stretched and the picture quality isnt as good as Full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5600 Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

What setting activates that? My 1130 does not set SD channels to wide, but I would like it to.

Thanks.

Mark

Home Menu --> Option --> 4:3 MODE ... you have the option of either WIDE or 4:3 for SD programming. For me this option only applies to signals coming into the media receiver from other components; it never seems to apply to programming received via the OTA antenna.

There's also a setting for auto-aspect control or to have it "lock" on whatever aspect ratio you left it on the last time you were on a particular resolution/input combination. If using the auto-aspect control, the screen mode will be reflected in the upper right hand corner of the screen in "GREEN" text instead of WHITE.
post #5523 of 5600 Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks. It is in 4:3 mode. I will try the aspect control, I am not sure which setting that is on.
post #5524 of 5600 Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish View Post

Home Menu --> Option --> 4:3 MODE ... you have the option of either WIDE or 4:3 for SD programming. For me this option only applies to signals coming into the media receiver from other components; it never seems to apply to programming received via the OTA antenna.

There's also a setting for auto-aspect control or to have it "lock" on whatever aspect ratio you left it on the last time you were on a particular resolution/input combination. If using the auto-aspect control, the screen mode will be reflected in the upper right hand corner of the screen in "GREEN" text instead of WHITE.

Thanks; that is what I am using, but I am using a DVR via HDMI, and it does not stretch it automatically. I have this TV in my bedroom, and watch "World Focus", which is in 4:3.

Not a big deal, really. A couple of button pushes fixes it.

Mark
post #5525 of 5600 Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Howdy All,

I've had my 4360 since December 2006. It's been a heck of a TV, with no real problems . . .

Until yesterday that is. In the morning, I turned on the TV and had no cable (Mediacon) reception. No locals, no syndicates, nothing. Both TVs were like this. After work I get home and the bedroom TV is back to normal, but the 4360 is still hosed up. I run a rescan and get 4 channels. I have 70 or 80 normally. The 4 channels I get are local CBS, local PBS, local CW, and one other cable channel. No digital channels, and 2 of those 4 are mapped wrong.

I searched and unplugged everything for a couple minutes and rescanned . . . same results. It's weird because Sunday night everything was peachy, in fact the time updated correctly and the TVGOS was finally back to normal. However yesterday the time was behind an hour.

ANT B works fine, and the DVR works fine. I have a splitter where Leg A goes to ANT A and Leg B goes to the DVR and then to ANT B. I will remove the splitter, but I kinda doubt thats my problem.

For once in my life, I did buy an extended warranty, and it's gone in December. I may get desperate and call Pioneer, because their website was no help.

Sorry about the long post; any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
post #5526 of 5600 Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 AM

BUMP.

The splitter isn't a trouble. I also hooked up the antenna last night and pulled in all channels just fine. Is there any difference in the hardware of a QAM and ATSC tuner? I would think if it tunes from the antenna it should tune from my cable.

Thanks. I appreciate any advice.
post #5527 of 5600 Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM

My HDMI inputs suddenly went out... any suggestions?

Verizon FiOS TV & Internet
Pionner PDP-4360HD
Moto QIP6416 (Via HDMI)
Yamaha RX-V657
Toshiba SD-4980SU (Via HDMI)
Harmony 880
post #5528 of 5600 Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman79 View Post

Well, you could use component instead. There's a general consensus that the image quality is indistinguishable from HDMI, despite the theoretical advantages of the latter.

--Eric
post #5529 of 5600 Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman79 View Post

Try unplugging the power cord for 30 seconds, if you haven't already.

Mark
post #5530 of 5600 Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM

UPDATE.

I had the tech come out on Monday and after a while and a call to Pioneer, they determined (guessed) that my tuner was bad. He came out this morning and replaced it . . . SUCCESS!

Only product in my life I've bought the ext. warranty for and I actually used it!
post #5531 of 5600 Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Ok, I have a question for all of you 4360/5060 owners. Is it possible to connect a USB flash drive to these TV sets directly? And if so, what connection and cable (and where to get it) do you use?

My other TV has a USB connection, but these TV's preceeded that, evidently. My HTIB also doesn't have a USB connection, and I don't want to purchase another one. I've got to believe, one of the connections on the Media Receiver will work for this, won't it?
post #5532 of 5600 Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Will my Elite Pro930 (smaller brother of Pro1130) have sound come through the supplied speakers if I feed it a Blu-ray movie with a PS3 or BDP-51 player?

The reason I ask is most blu-ray movies now only have DTS Master audio as the default and english sound setting available. Dolby Digital 5.1 in not an option anymore unless you want it in French or Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1

Thanks

Edit: Wanting to Downgrade DTS Master audio to 2 channel audio should be factored in my question. It it possible?
post #5533 of 5600 Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Hi All - I have had my PDP4360 for over three years now and it has worked like a champ.

This week, I lost all HD Audio and Video from my OTA amplified antenna on input A.

Input B (cable) works fine.

I still have audio and video for all non-HD channels OTA on input A.

But any HD channel I select on input A is black screen and no sound. In most cases (but not all), the listing of the program shows and the time of day shows.

I have tried the following:
- Unplugged the TV overnight.
- Disconnect and reconnected all input A wiring
- Checked signal strength of antenna (low of '47' high of '70')
- Rescanned all channels (it finds the same channels)

Called Pioneer Tech Support, they told me to do everything I already did. Then they suggested a service tech come out and look at the set. I fear the worst, perhaps my HD tuner is out?

Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions?

Much appreciated - twb311
post #5534 of 5600 Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Hey, I realize I am over a month late on the response (DOH!!!) but I would try this for your 4360 woes -

1) Highlight CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS from within the TV Guide
2) Enter 653274147

This will effectively power cycle the panel. I have to do this with my 5060 from time to time. I still love the set to this day, but it is getting grey hair, haha...I bet those d*mn Kuros are nice
post #5535 of 5600 Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hate to bring this thread up, but one of my nephews just reset my picture settings on my PDP-5060.

I cannot locate any reference settings. Need help!

Thanks!!

See Profile
post #5536 of 5600 Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Originally Posted by Eman79

Try unplugging the power cord for 30 seconds, if you haven't already.

Mark

I've been having HDMI problems with my Denon 5910 and my Pro-930HD for several years. The HDMI connection (Input 3) only seems to work sporadically after leaving the Media Receiver unplugged for 30 minutes or more, and only when the Pioneer's HDMI setting is Disabled, then Enabled, and after cycling through the Video pulldown settings. It will play DVDs until the DVD player is turned off or the input is changed, at which point we lose HDMI again. The 5910 set up for your more or less standard NTSC, HDMI input output of signals.

The whole thing is weird because we rarely, if ever, have HDMI or Component problems with our HD TIVO. Incidentally, we replicated the problem with a cheapo Oppo player, and went through two Media Receivers, with the same thing happening. The only way to watch DVDs with this set seems to be going to S-Video or old-style RCA Video inputs, which is extremely annoying.

The problem's distracting enough that we're thinking of buying one a smaller resolution 40" Samsung (We're limited physically to about a 44" wide set,) so we can get the full benefit of the 5910's upscaling. Does anyone one have any idea of how we can get a more stable HDMI picture? Or have a line on a PRO-950HD out of the box....

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #5537 of 5600 Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Coming up on 3.5 years of ownership and am impressed (although, the market has COMPLETELY changed...with the $3000 I spent, I could get a 55" LED TV now...)
post #5538 of 5600 Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I have this problem on my PDP-4360 plasma and need your expertise advise. If my plasma is not turn on for a day, when I turn it on, I will lose all my program listing ( It just a black screen with no sound and display ) I don't even can watch my DVD movie from the plasma. The only way to have the display back is to unplug the power from the wall and replug in again. Then I will start to see my tv listing and also DVD movie. Sometimes, it will lost all my channel and I have to do a manual TV listing setup again in order to get back all the channels. First I thought it was due to my antenna but I have switch to several digital antenna but the problem seems not solved. I don't have any cable TV connected to my TV and I just view my local channel by using digital antenna. Has anyone encounter this problem before? Please advise, thank you very very much for your help.

Regards,
Tan
post #5539 of 5600 Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 AM

Been looking through this whole old thread all over again. Obviously there are a lot of pages to get through...

When I try to put in any settings that Ive found up to page 65, the colors looks fine but the image is now dark. So basically as my TV has aged it is no longer as bright... BUT if I up the brightness the colors look a bit washed out.

What settings are you all running now that your 930/1130 has aged?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #5540 of 5600 Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augmental View Post

1) Highlight CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS from within the TV Guide
2) Enter 653274147

This will effectively power cycle the panel.

This doesn't work for me. When I highlight CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS and enter numbers, nothing happens. When I press "enter" on the remote, I am asked to verify or change my system settings (1130). Anyone know what I'm missing?

(Surely it's OK to revive this old thread. I figure now that the sets are entering late-middle (?) age there are more health issues and maybe some thought of divorce.)
post #5541 of 5600 Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 AM

What is the display life on the 5060 again? TIA
post #5542 of 5600 Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

I've owned my PDP-4360 for a little over 4 years now (woot!). Lately, I've been watching tv and go to change the channel...and WHAMO, i get a green screen. I can see the show along the very edge of the left side of the screen. There is audio too. Thoughts? Is there some way to reset the unit that may mitigate the problem?
post #5543 of 5600 Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Hi..just wondering if anyone has this setup and can confirm that the bd 83 will pass (or can be forced to)1080p/24fps to their display. In other words override the EDID handshake problem that these panels have with 1080/24 material in that they can accept this signal ( and then scale it obviously as per 720p specs)but they dont advertise that they do. I had a sony bdp350 (which died) which worked seamlessly in this regard(very smooth images) but when I tried the sony bd 370 it would not pass the 1080/24 signal(my panel actually indicates in the corner when the 1080p process is running) and it was 'juddersville' at 1080i with bds. Really really interested if someone actually has this combo or has seen it running as opposed to 'theory'. Im in Australia so running with PAL if that makes any difference. Thanks very much as dont want to buy the oppo to find that wont run as i need it to.
post #5544 of 5600 Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 PM

I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but I am having some HDMI issues with my 5060.

I just bought a new SC-25 and hooked it up, but I am running into an HDMI problem. My DirectTV DVR was hooked up to my TV (PDP 5060) via HDMI for video and worked just fine. Now, I have audio and video running to the 25 via HDMI, and video from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. I am not getting any video - Oddly, I can't even see the TV menu. To see it, I have to unplug the HDMI cable from the TV box first. The black screen that I can see changes slightly every second or two, so it seems like the TV is trying to resolve something but just can't.

I am, however, getting audio just fine. I have checked my HDMI connections and they are not loose.

My BD player (LG BD390) did the exact same thing when hooked up via HDMI and I never figured it out - ended up going with component.

It seems very weird that whatever the TV is trying to do prevents the Menu from being visible. It seems like there is a simple fix to this, but I just can't figure it out.

I guess the other possibilities are 1) there is something wrong with the TV or 2) this was part of the first wave of TVs with HDMI and it just isn't compatible with more modern HDMI electronics (except, apparently, DTV's DVR)

Obviously, it would be nice to fix this. Any ideas as to what is going on? I guess I'll call Pioneer tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I turned kuro link off, so that isn't messing things up

Jody
post #5545 of 5600 Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM

In case anyone's still paying attention:

I have a PDP-4360 purchased in June 06. No issues whatsoever until this morning, when I started seeing the full screen flicker rapidly (almost like an old move reel) for a few minutes, off and on. Then this stopped and instead I started seeing a vertical band of discoloration (see attached image). Now I see both issues intermittently: normal picture for a while, then flickering for a few minutes, then the vertical band, then back to normal...

I noticed it while watching cable via HDMI, but it also shows up using other video sources. I'm strongly suspecting/fearing this is a very expensive fix or even diagnosis and might signal the end of the TV, but I figured I would check here first. Thanks in advance for any advice.
LL
post #5546 of 5600 Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 AM

I'm interested in any replacement anecdotes people may have. What new tv did you get and how did it seem compared to your old pioneer? Eg, did you switch to LCD and what did you think? How were the black levels?

(I need a new tv for the basement, though the pioneer is still working fine. I have lots on Sony points so I'm thinking of the hx909)

Andy
post #5547 of 5600 Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 AM

Hi to the wild throngs still monitoring this thread... all 4 of us

I have a replacement and a repair story for you, and a question.

The replacement story - we remodeled the master bedroom and of course, I needed a new panel for it. Decided on a Sony KDL40EX40B with a built in Blu-Ray player, mostly for the aesthetics of not having a rack of components. I was able to mount the DirecTV box in the closet directly behind the panel and so the only thing out is the panel - nice. This has the B-3 engine. It has great blacks (the Achilles heal of the Pioneer) and a nice picture if it's not moving much, but other than that, the Pio PQ still kicks its butt! (it's still in the living room) The LCD shows a lot of motion blur (it is only 60Hz). My wife even complained that the new Sony 40" LCD's picture is nowhere near the 7 year old Pioneer's.

Repair story - So, the media box started making noise a few weeks ago. Since this unit still has the Media Box (why they did away with this I can't figure out...) it was a snap to pull the box out of the rack, take it down to the local Pioneer authorized repair joint. They put in a new $57 cooling fan and it's back in and running great. I have NO urge to replace this panel AT ALL.

Question - So, I am also curious about how this panel will handle 1080p/24fps.
I have been thinking about replacing my OPPO DV-970HD with something with Wi-Fi/Ethernet, but this OPPO matches up so well with the Pioneer, I really don't even think about Blu-Ray, and I still love my SACDs and the great audio that this OPPO puts out; so I guess the question is, if I "upgrade" to something like the Sony 570 or 770, is it going to end up as a downgrade??
post #5548 of 5600 Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 AM

I still have (as my main panel) my 4360. I just bought a Blu-Ray player on Friday, so I'm hoping for good results. I've been resisting the BR since the panel isn't 'really' HD, but I couldn't hold out any longer!

Don't know anything about the Oppo and not much about the Sony units.
post #5549 of 5600 Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've still got my 4360 and it still looks great. Holds up well against the newer sets I've purchased (Samsung and Vizio for the garage, both of which have higher native resolutions and are LCDs). I for one, like the media receiver, it's one of the reasons I bought it (for my setup, it makes cord management easier and allows me to use direct connections to the TV without a mess near the TV since I keep my equipment a decent distance from the Tv on a rack. My Audio receiver doesn't have any HD video connections).
post #5550 of 5600 Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randu View Post

Question - So, I am also curious about how this panel will handle 1080p/24fps.
I have been thinking about replacing my OPPO DV-970HD with something with Wi-Fi/Ethernet, but this OPPO matches up so well with the Pioneer, I really don't even think about Blu-Ray, and I still love my SACDs and the great audio that this OPPO puts out; so I guess the question is, if I "upgrade" to something like the Sony 570 or 770, is it going to end up as a downgrade??

Make that 5 still watching this thread!

My suggestion regarding 1080p24 is to just try it. My 1130HD will accept a 1080p24 signal when I force that as the output from my PS3. Undocumented feature, apparently. Not sure how far back Pio was incorporating that capability, since my panel is a "mere" 4.5 years old compared to your 7 (and I am similarly still amazed with the picture quality), but it might be at least worth a shot.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread