Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 02:27 PM
RKA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I've read every page of this thread, but I'm still not clear on this one issue:

Does the Elite (50 inch) have any really noticeable picture quality improvement over the 5060 -- or is it pretty much the same?

If so, what is the advantage of the "Elite" (other than bragging rights)?

Can I throw out a theory? I suspect the actual panels are exactly the same. The differences between the two are largely in the level we are able to calibrate them, or additional flexibility in processing options with the Elites. I suspect those differences are found in the media receivers. Whether those differences are simply a firmware difference, or whether there is a hardware difference is a good question, and one I would love to know the answer to. If it's a firmware difference, you can see where I'm going with this.

Anyway, addressing your question more directly, if the differences between the units are in the ability to fine tune each panel, I would expect real world differences to be relatively small. Then again, for some folks on these forums, it's those small things that mean the world...so it's all relative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Until someone has both side-by-side to compare.....as the Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop commercial goes......

"The world may never know"

Well beside a subjective compare -- objectively, are the internal components the same? Or is that not yet public knowledge?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Well we can hypothesize that the Elite panels ->(the actual plasma glass) is identical to 5060 panels.
However the electronics may play a role in the image difference if any.
So the media receivers are different. I don't think it's just the firmware. They may perhaps have a slightly more powerful processor for de-interlacing and scaling... Perhaps!
There might be tighter quality control and better calibration out of the FACTORY for the elites. There is definitely longer warranty 2yrs as apposed to 1yr for xx60 panels.
That might be an indication that the parts to assemble the elite displays are slightly higher tolerance ->(not the glass, just the assembly parts and the Media Receivers).
Other then that I honestly don't know what would make them that much better and I doubt it does. It comes down to preference and price.
The regular panels are discounted much higher then the elites. Some dealers won't even budge on the MSRP for the elites.

Just buy what you can afford and be happy with...
post #544 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Curious....has anyone with both technical knowledge and plasma review experience ever done an exhausted side by side comparison between the elite and non-elite panel?
post #545 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Thanks. I don't need to big outer box. Just the biggest inner box that the panel comes in.

Box dimensions for the 1130 from the Pio web site:

Dimensions (inches / lbs)
Display (W X H x D) 48.2 x 28.2 x 3.6
Display (lbs) 70.1 lbs
Media Receiver (W x H x D) 16-9/16 x 3-9/16 x 11-13/16
Media Receiver (lbs) 9.9 lbs
Carton Dimensions (W x H x D) 61.5 x 46.5 x 21.5
Carton Dimensions (lbs) 169 lbs.

ron
post #546 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Box dimensions for the 1130 from the Pio web site:

Dimensions (inches / lbs)
Display (W X H x D) 48.2 x 28.2 x 3.6
Display (lbs) 70.1 lbs
Media Receiver (W x H x D) 16-9/16 x 3-9/16 x 11-13/16
Media Receiver (lbs) 9.9 lbs
Carton Dimensions (W x H x D) 61.5 x 46.5 x 21.5
Carton Dimensions (lbs) 169 lbs.

ron

Thanks Ron. I'll have to stick to delivery. 46.5" high is definitely too much.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #547 of 5600 Old 10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
RKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamJNS View Post

Well we can hypothesize that the Elite panels ->(the actual plasma glass) is identical to 5060 panels.
However the electronics may play a role in the image difference if any.
So the media receivers are different. I don't think it's just the firmware. They may perhaps have a slightly more powerful processor for de-interlacing and scaling... Perhaps!

Well, for starters, I can snap a few pics of the innards of the 5060 MR's this weekend before I stuff everything into the new credenza. That might tell us something if we can get an 1130 owner to do the same. I counted three screws on the back panel (indicated with a little arrow), and possibly two screws on each side panel.
post #548 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 05:31 AM

I received it on Saturday and I finally mounted it and turned it on last night. All I hooked up was the media receiver and my HD-Tivo. It was a new Tivo so it went right into the setup screen. After ten minutes of going through the setup process and 10 minutes on the phone with D-TV. It was up and running. As soon as the first bright scene hit I could see an imprint of the Tivo setup screen faintly in the background. Is it burned or is this image retention? If it is image retention how long will it be there? Do I have to break-in the plasma before it starts going away? I checked it again this morning after being off for about 6 hours and it was still there. I just need to know if I have to call the B&M I got it from and get a new one already. Thanks for any help.

-Dan
post #549 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

This should be the official 5060 thread as there really is just a few bits&bobs on the 4360.
Has enyone actully got the 4360 and can make afew pros/cons with this and there old model?
Thx Will.
post #550 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I received it on Saturday and I finally mounted it and turned it on last night. All I hooked up was the media receiver and my HD-Tivo. It was a new Tivo so it went right into the setup screen. After ten minutes of going through the setup process and 10 minutes on the phone with D-TV. It was up and running. As soon as the first bright scene hit I could see an imprint of the Tivo setup screen faintly in the background. Is it burned or is this image retention? If it is image retention how long will it be there? Do I have to break-in the plasma before it starts going away? I checked it again this morning after being off for about 6 hours and it was still there. I just need to know if I have to call the B&M I got it from and get a new one already. Thanks for any help.

I received an email from Pioneer last night. Email was titled "De-Bunking Plasma Myths". Here's what they said about image retention:

There's no need to miss your movie or lose your place in your video game; image retention is unlikely to happen during the few minutes it takes to get a cold one from the fridge. But you should be careful about leaving a static image on screen for really long periods of time. The IDC/ISF study found that a static image left on the plasma for 48 hours will create a "ghost" effect where you can still see that image after the TV is turned off. The good news is that the ghosting was virtually erased after a regular DVD loop ran on the screen for 24 hours. So whether you pause for 5, 10 or even 60 minutes, the IDC/ISF study found it extremely unlikely that any static image will be noticeable or left on the screen. So, while we don't recommend leaving the DVD menu onscreen for the whole weekend, a few minutes won't destroy your TV.
post #551 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Well guys,

I've finally decided that I'm going to buy an Elite 930 in the next 2 weeks or so. A local authorized dealer (well about an hour away) is selling them for $400 more than the price quote I got from TVA. Now thats a deal!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #552 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well guys,

I've finally decided that I'm going to buy an Elite 930 in the next 2 weeks or so. A local authorized dealer (well about an hour away) is selling them for $400 more than the price quote I got from TVA. Now thats a deal!!!!

Wise choice, if I don't say so myself!

Is that $400 under the quote for a 4360 (TVA doesn't sell the elite line I don't think.)? If so, that is quite a deal.

post #553 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Wise choice, if I don't say so myself!

Is that $400 under the quote for a 4360 (TVA doesn't sell the elite line I don't think.)? If so, that is quite a deal.

Just to make sure I don't break forum rules....

The 4360 MSRP is $4500 and the 930 is $5000. Take that scenario and substitute TVA's price for the 4360 and add $400 to that price. That is what I'll be paying.

post #554 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to make sure I don't break forum rules....

The 4360 MSRP is $4500 and the 930 is $5000. Take that scenario and substitute TVA's price for the 4360 and add $400 to that price. That is what I'll be paying.

Yes, good deal. Assumption has been, given $500 difference between 4360 and 930 that we would be able to get the 4360 with a greater discount than the 930 making for a greater than $500 real world difference between them.

post #555 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 AM

So many users with 1130's in their possession and yet not a single picture... Are you guys just lazy or you just don't have one - LoL. If you have one prove it!
Come on now, don't be shy...
post #556 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So many users with 1130's in their possession and yet not a single picture... Are you guys just lazy or you just don't have one - LoL. If you have one prove it!
Come on now, don't be shy...

They are probably re-viewing their entire DVD collection and catching up on reruns of "American Chopper" that they missed on Discovery HD!

I wish I had my set so I could show it off. I'm ready to take pics, but it'll probably be old hat by the time that slow boat reaches Alaska. Estimated arrival at Magnolia is 10/23.

And "slow boat" is not an exaggeration. The box had to ship from Pio in California to the Best Buy distribution center in D.C. It then got on a Best Buy shipment by truck to Tacoma WA. Then on a barge to Anchorage.

It's a wonder I got the deal I did!

post #557 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Is the stock Media Receiver cable in-wall rated? BB/Magnolia wants to sell me the 10m (pda-h03) because it is in-wall rated and the stock cable is not. I should be able to use the stock 3m cable length. I am set up to run it through in-wall conduit. Any idea as to wether one is in-wall rated as opposed to the other?
post #558 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 AM

LoL, yeah sounds like you will get it by Christmas... Good luck

5 minutes away from their TV to take 1 lousy picture... come on guys don't be lazy.
post #559 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcabby View Post

Is the stock Media Receiver cable in-wall rated? BB/Magnolia wants to sell me the 10m (pda-h03) because it is in-wall rated and the stock cable is not. I should be able to use the stock 3m cable length. I am set up to run it through in-wall conduit. Any idea as to wether one is in-wall rated as opposed to the other?

They are made exactly the same, so I don't see why not. You can check the cable jacket to see what rating is printed on it.
post #560 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

They are made exactly the same, so I don't see why not. You can check the cable jacket to see what rating is printed on it.

I'd have to agree. They should be exactly the same except for the difference in length.

Think they just want to make some extra profit off of ya.
post #561 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LoL, yeah sounds like you will get it by Christmas... Good luck

5 minutes away from their TV to take 1 lousy picture... come on guys don't be lazy.

I went home at lunch just to shut you up

Misc boxes - There were in fact 4 total, Panel, MR, Stand, and speakers
Panel Box
Remote
MR -- yes those are hockey pucks... my new AV cabinent is yet to arrive.
Front
I told you the cable is ghettofied at the moment so no funny comments
Wall side
Side Close

Please excuse the mess,just moved in recently... work in progress
post #562 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1138 View Post

I'd have to agree. They should be exactly the same except for the difference in length. Think they just want to make some extra profit off of ya.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the jacket. The sales guy convinced my wife we needed the cable when she ordered the 1130. We picked up the display last night -- the cable won't be in until 11/1 -- so we have time to cancel the cable. She laughs at my frequenting these forums -- until it saved us money -- now she is a believer.
post #563 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

Panel Box
Remote
Front
Wall side
Side Close

Absolutely gorgeous. I like how Pioneer extended the depth of the speakers as they will hide all concealed wiring on side views.

post #564 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 PM

YOU'RE THE MAN !

Thanks for the pics... BTW how are you going to run those cables when your new stand for the components comes in?
It looks like a small 1/2" white conduit on the left side of your fireplace would work well. Conseals and not too conspicuous.

Cheers for the first elite pics!

Quote:

Panel Box
Remote
Front
Wall side
Side Close

post #565 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely gorgeous. I like how Pioneer extended the depth of the speakers as they will hide all concealed wiring on side views.

sorry about the photos being so dark, if they are for you... just crank up the contrast/brightness on your monitor and I promise much more detail is there.

This always seems to happen when I photo edit on my laptop. I get to work and look at my pictures and they are always waaay too dark on my work CRT.
post #566 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YOU'RE THE MAN !

Thanks for the pics... BTW how are you going to run those cables when your new stand for the components comes in?
It looks like a small 1/2" white conduit on the left side of your fireplace would work well. Conseals and not too conspicuous.

Cheers for the first elite pics!

I have already wired in a power outlet in the wall directly behind the plasma, just have to cut a hole to fish the cables through. From behind there it is easy to just string the MR cable over to where my current cable outlet is. Easy as pie, just didnt have the time to do it. So all the cables from the display will be in the wall when I am done.
post #567 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I received an email from Pioneer last night. Email was titled "De-Bunking Plasma Myths". Here's what they said about image retention:

There's no need to miss your movie or lose your place in your video game; image retention is unlikely to happen during the few minutes it takes to get a cold one from the fridge. But you should be careful about leaving a static image on screen for really long periods of time. The IDC/ISF study found that a static image left on the plasma for 48 hours will create a "ghost" effect where you can still see that image after the TV is turned off. The good news is that the ghosting was virtually erased after a regular DVD loop ran on the screen for 24 hours. So whether you pause for 5, 10 or even 60 minutes, the IDC/ISF study found it extremely unlikely that any static image will be noticeable or left on the screen. So, while we don't recommend leaving the DVD menu onscreen for the whole weekend, a few minutes won't destroy your TV.

So it sounds like image retention but mine goes away when the TV is off. I'm sure I'll have it running for a while this weekend. I'll see if it's still there afterwards. As soon as my basement is done (hopefully this weekend) I'll post pictures.
post #568 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 01:01 PM

Pioneer doesn't warrant image retention, so I don't know if the retailer would even accept the display back becuase of it. But I sincerely doubt that it won't go away. Just pop in a dvd stretch to fill the screen and let it run loop.
post #569 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panel Box
Remote
Front
Wall side
Side Close

Very pretty! The panel seems to work very well above your fireplace. I usually don't say that with high mounts.

The only think I don't like is that ugly red TVGuide logo on the beautiful black MR!

post #570 of 5600 Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Pioneer doesn't warrant image retention, so I don't know if the retailer would even accept the display back becuase of it. But I sincerely doubt that it won't go away. Just pop in a dvd stretch to fill the screen and let it run loop.

I don't mind if it's image retention and it goes away. I was just afraid it was something worse. If I burned the screen with "out of the box" settings after 20 minutes, that would sound like a defect.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 4360hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page