Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5600 Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker View Post

T2starr,

SEKO had the Pio arrive in Tampa (125 miles away) on Friday, they shipped it to Fort Myers (35 miles away) on Monday, then they sat on it all day Tuesday and did not get it to me until Wednesday afternoon. (There was no twisting their arm and even SEKO in Seattle and the corp headquarters in Chicago could not do anything to get it delivered on Tuesday.)

The Pio packaging was excellent, there was not even a dent on the outer box. The stand that came with the 5060 seems very cheap when you assemble it, but it only takes a couple of seconds to put it together (4 screws) and once it is together, it does the job. I had it on the stand for two days until I setup the Omni Mount. Having the Plasma coming out of the wall almost 4 feet takes some getting used to, and a little praying that it will not come crashing down from the wall.

I found the picture to be great, but I did tweak the color a little since to me the people look a little too red. Other then that an some adjustments to the Contrast and Brightness, everything else was great. All the extra connections on the AV Box made connecting the HD DTV TiVo and the upconverting DVD Player simple since it was just two HDMI connections. I could not believe how many wires I was able to eliminate from my previous setup. I have SAT and DVD via HDMI, VCR (since TiVo it only serves as a clock these days) via RCA, and I plugged in an Antenna, for kicks, via Coax. Then everything goes to my Receiver via Fiber Optics.

The manual for the Pio was standard, nothing too hard to follow, the TV Guide is useless since everything runs though the DTV TiVo anyway.

Overall, I am 100% satisfied with both the Plasma and mount.

Take Care,

Richard

Congrats. Hope you were able to pay for your new plasma with your winnings in Vegas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5600 Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 PM

Malicious, thaks for the insights into the differences between modes. I'm watching the Cardinals game (Pujols just hit a dramatic go ahead homerun by the way) and I placed the screen back in Pure mode. Everything "flattens" out and colors go duller when I go into that mode. I wasn't sophisticated enough to know that Pure represented the most "unaltered" state - kind of like having a clean palette. From there you have the most freedom to create the image that suits you best. I wasn't aware you could do that.

I haven't had a chance to experiment with different modes and settings and I have yet to set up my DVD player. But this weekend I will play around with Pure mode to see if I can't produce better results. Without tinkering a lot, Standard mode got me to the "ideal" picture much quicker than the other modes. Standard mode is certainly more convenient. Thanks again for the insight.
post #633 of 5600 Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Ok,

Wow. What a beautiful panel.

I assembled the 930 right below my 5050 for comparison purposes and boy was it interesting.

Is the 930 leaps and bounds superior to the 5050? Nope. Is it an improvement? Yes indeed.

Pioneer 5050 settings:
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 30
Brightness: +3
Color: -13
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -1

Pro adjust:
Pure Cinema: Standard
Color Temp: Mid and Low
MPEG NR: On
DNR: Low
CTI: Off
DNR: On

Pioneer 930 settings
Contrast: 26
Brightness: -1
Color: -15
Sharpness: -3

Pro adjust:
Pure Cinema; Standard
Color Temp: Manual
MPEG NR: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Mid
Black Level; On
ACL: Off
Gamma: 2

Colors were more natural on the 930. Watching MNF on ABC showed that whites were whiter, as compared to slightly dirty whites on the 5050. CSI Miami really shinned on both plasmas but reds were richer, blues were bluer and greens were more believable on the 930.

Black level and black detail...well that's where things get interesting.

I popped in my copy of Sin City on my Denon 3910 and connected the 930 with component (switched pure cinema to ADV as the output was set to 480i) and the 5050 to the HDMI port. 50 series Pioneer owners should be proud of their plasmas as they can produce very good blacks. Were the blacks better on the 930? Well yeah, but it's not as dramatic as if you compared the 930 to the 40 series Pioneers. 50 series owners are not missing a whole lot unless you like watching completely black screens where the difference can clearly be seen.

Black detail is a different story. The 930 is far superior to the 5050 in this area. Watching Bruce Willis run down the alley near the docks produced so much more depth. Water puddles looked far more pronouced on the 930. Windows could not hide in the shadows on the 930 where the 5050 only produced the top halves.
I really did not have a chance to fully compare the blacks but I will do further comparisons on the blacks of the 930 and 5050 later this week.

Well that's all for now.
post #634 of 5600 Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Well that's all for now.

Music to my ears! I can hardly wait. I'm hoping for arrival to the store Sunday and delivery when I can arrange it early next week. Come on slow barge to Alaska!

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #635 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Music to my ears! I can hardly wait. I'm hoping for arrival to the store Sunday and delivery when I can arrange it early next week. Come on slow barge to Alaska!

I measured the panel box last night and it is:

52" L x 14.5" D x 35.5" H

So if you were to put it inside an SUV, it would require the ceiling a little more than 35.5" above the floor, and 52" long if you wanted to close the rear hatch behind it.

Those are the demensions of the box the panel came in, not the entire carton all the boxes came in
post #636 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok,

Wow. What a beautiful panel.

I assembled the 930 right below my 5050 for comparison purposes and boy was it interesting.

Did you replace the 5050 with the 930 - or are they for different rooms?

I want a Masquerade.
post #637 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. The 930 replaces a 4350 that I sold 2 weeks ago. They were only in the same room last night.
post #638 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Pioneer 930 settings

Pro adjust:
Pure Cinema; Standard
Black Level; On

D- Nice thanks for the initial review. Sounds like you're pretty excited about the qality of your panel.

I've only begun to make various tweaks to the picture and I'm familiar with the settings above except when you get to the "Pro Adjust". I've yet to see that particular group of options on the menu. How do I access those particular options?
post #639 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub_123 View Post

D- Nice thanks for the initial review. Sounds like you're pretty excited about the qality of your panel.

I've only begun to make various tweaks to the picture and I'm familiar with the settings above except when you get to the "Pro Adjust". I've yet to see that particular group of options on the menu. How do I access those particular options?

What model do you have? If you have the 1130 or 930, the Pro Adjust menu is right below the sharpness setting. Within that menu, the color temp is in the Color detail menu, mpeg nr and dnr are located in the NR menu, and individual dre settings are in the DRE menu.
post #640 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pioneer 930 settings

Pro adjust:
Pure Cinema; Standard
Black Level; On

Thanks for posting these settings - I plan to get an 1130 soon and I'll try them. Also I got a DVE disc - thanks again for your advice.
post #641 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

No. The 930 replaces a 4350 that I sold 2 weeks ago. They were only in the same room last night.

Good day D-Nice
Hey how about a Sharp lcd, Pio, side by side comparison. Lets dust it off and see those black levels you complained about, my Sharp's blacks are great. Love to see pic's of the blacks.

These are just my opinions.
post #642 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Good day D-Nice
Hey how about a Sharp lcd, Pio, side by side comparison. Lets dust it off and see those black levels you complained about, my Sharp's blacks are great. Love to see pic's of the blacks.

Sure. Do you have any picture settings I can borrow for the comparison?
post #643 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure. Do you have any picture settings I can borrow for the comparison?

standard settings
Backlight -1
contrast +31
color +1
sharpness 0
cms hue r-1 y-6 g-15 all 0 after that
cms sat y-8 g-15 color +15
cms value g+20
color temp high
black level ext on
Thanks d-nice
And you have a nice camera?

post #644 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

standard settings
Backlight -1
contrast +31
color +1
sharpness 0
cms hue r-1 y-6 g-15 all 0 after that
cms sat y-8 g-15 color +15
cms value g+20
color temp high
black level ext on
Thanks d-nice
And you have a nice camera?

Thanks for the settings. Camera, well if you consider a 5 megapixel Kodak ok, then yeah. I"ll do the comparison later this week (doing the break-in thing with the plasma right now)...if thats ok with you
post #645 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the settings. Camera, well if you consider a 5 megapixel Kodak ok, then yeah. I"ll do the comparison later this week (doing the break-in thing with the plasma right now)...if thats ok with you

Of course at your lesiure. Thanks so much.

post #646 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM

does anyone know which wall mounting kit is easy to instll and will fit with pio 5060.
post #647 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I popped in my copy of Sin City on my Denon 3910 and connected the 930 with component (switched pure cinema to ADV as the output was set to 480i) and the 5050 to the HDMI port. 50 series Pioneer owners should be proud of their plasmas as they can produce very good blacks. Were the blacks better on the 930? Well yeah, but it's not as dramatic as if you compared the 930 to the 40 series Pioneers. 50 series owners are not missing a whole lot unless you like watching completely black screens where the difference can clearly be seen.

Black detail is a different story. The 930 is far superior to the 5050 in this area. Watching Bruce Willis run down the alley near the docks produced so much more depth. Water puddles looked far more pronouced on the 930. Windows could not hide in the shadows on the 930 where the 5050 only produced the top halves.
I really did not have a chance to fully compare the blacks but I will do further comparisons on the blacks of the 930 and 5050 later this week.

D, you're funny. You say 50 series owners should be proud because their panels actually produce good black levels and that they're not really missing a whole lot, then you immediately proceed to rave about everything they are missing The new series simply does better blacks .

ron
post #648 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

D, you're funny. You say 50 series owners should be proud because their panels actually produce good black levels and that they're not really missing a whole lot, then you immediately proceed to rave about everything they are missing The new series simply does better blacks .

ron

Not really. There is a distinct difference between black level and black detail. Black level is how black (dark) can the display get. Black detail is exactly that, how much detail (i.e. wrinkles in the fabric of a black shirt) can you see in those dark areas.

Maybe I should have left out the "not missing a whole lot" as it may depict that I was talking about black detail in the dark areas.....my bad.
post #649 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Of course that's true. But it's pretty much splitting hairs and playing a semantics game when in reality the two are so interdependent for real world viewing. The real bottom line is what black level can be produced without blowing out all the shadow detail. Unless you like to sit and watch solid black screens anyway

ron
post #650 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 PM

I finally have my 1130 up and running, everything looks fantastic, but I have one problem. on scenes with lots of white, I get a loud hum/buzz. I can easily hear it above the audio from 15 feet away.

I saw one post where somebody alluded to that. Anybody else?

should I take this panel back and get another?
post #651 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skery View Post

I finally have my 1130 up and running, everything looks fantastic, but I have one problem. on scenes with lots of white, I get a loud hum/buzz. I can easily hear it above the audio from 15 feet away.

I saw one post where somebody alluded to that. Anybody else?

should I take this panel back and get another?

I definitely would; that amount of noise is not normal and will get increasingly annoying for you over time.
Bish
post #652 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkabra1973 View Post

does anyone know which wall mounting kit is easy to instll and will fit with pio 5060.

I found this on ebay (lead by one of the posters on this forum) for less then $80.00 and it's tilt and fits very well, and it's black to match the TV. it's the sanus VMPL brand but it's made for gateway, do a search for : "Gateway Plasma TV Wall Mount Kit 8006998" , the guy is very decent I talked to him on the phone , and I think he has more of those in stock, and the above mentioned above was include shipping and all.
post #653 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

another update, although minor.

After testing with the Boston/Montreal NHL game on OLN, internal 1130 tuner vs rev3 Moto 6412 HDDVD tuner via component, Comcast digital cable as input -- two tuners enter, two tuners leave, although one will be much less popular afterwards ....

If you have a Rev 3 box, set the 4:3 output to force 480p.(with DVR power off, press menu on DVR remote) I did not expect this at all, but on the Rev3 box, the one with the HDMI port, using force 480p output yeilds a picture very comparable to using the 1130's internal tuner. There are some differences that you will have to decide against (as to whether you want to go cablecard or not..) but in my opinion this config deserves a look. I have decided not to go with a cablecard after testing this setup. I dont think the cablecard would benefit me much picturewise, and with this config, I can still hook up OTA if I want.

If you have a Rev 2 6412, with the DVI port, you should use force 480i for 4:3 content in the setup menu. (with DVR power off, press menu on DVR remote). I couldnt tell a diffence between the internal 1130 tuner (which is what a cablecard would use) and the DVR tuner.

After my experience with the component dvd player in 480i vs 480p, I was under the impression the 1130's 480p processing wasnt all that great, actually quite the contrary, you just have to give it the right input... it may not like that dvd player, but it sure likes the Rev3 6412
post #654 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

If you have a Rev 3 box.........

MB, I'm curious about this box. I have Rev 2. I see the Rev 3 has an RF output. Do you know what the box outputs through that? I'm hoping it only decodes and passes the decoded signal to the TV's tuner for processing. What do you think?

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #655 of 5600 Old 10-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Skery, that was me who reported the buzz sound during the scenes when there's a lot of white. I noticed this buzz the first night I had the set. It seems to have diminished quite a bit since. It's possible that the noise is coming from the Media Receiver. Have you checked whether it's the receiver or the panel? I suspect mine came from the receiver because I've since placed my receiver behind cabinet doors and haven't heard buzzing sound since.
post #656 of 5600 Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

MB, I'm curious about this box. I have Rev 2. I see the Rev 3 has an RF output. Do you know what the box outputs through that? I'm hoping it only decodes and passes the decoded signal to the TV's tuner for processing. What do you think?

I have not used the RF output on the Rev 3 yet. Dont know first hand what it does, but I suspect it is just a pass-through and does not do any decoding at all. I know there is an option in the menu to turn on/off the RF pass-through, so I will check it out tonight, easy enough.

As far as Rev2 vs Rev3, the Rev2 is still better in my book, SD picture quality wise. If you are used to having the Rev2 I see no need to upgrade to the Rev3 if you are not having any channel problems like I was. My Rev2 most likely had problems though, since it could pull some channels and not others.

edit: This is based on component output of course... I have HDMI cables on the way which will let me see if digital connection is any better.
edit2: after doing some research, I expect the RF output to mirror whatever is being shown on the digital ouputs, just in SD.
post #657 of 5600 Old 10-19-2005, 08:33 AM

For those who have the 1130, could you tell me where the Digital Conection Cable plugs in to the monitor. When facing the BACK of the tv is it in on the rigt side, left side, middle? I am going through a remodel and need to run a chase. I'd like to avoid buying the 10M cable so I want to make the most of where the chase enters/exits the wall so the 3M will fit.

Thanks!!!!!
post #658 of 5600 Old 10-19-2005, 09:04 AM

The connections are in the middle of the back of the monitor...

I had it first.....
post #659 of 5600 Old 10-19-2005, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can any 1130HD owners out there tell me if it comes with an SR+ cable for connection to a pio receiver? Thanks.
post #660 of 5600 Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagsmcd View Post

Can any 1130HD owners out there tell me if it comes with an SR+ cable for connection to a pio receiver? Thanks.

Good question. I've been wondering about the SR+ connections. Is it worth it? We will eventually have the 79Avi, 74Txi, and the 1130. Don't the remotes already share alot of the same functions, or am I missing the point of SR+?

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page