Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've also noticed that the panel for both 1130 and 5060 is marked 506PU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignoramous View Post

I've also noticed that the panel for both 1130 and 5060 is marked 506PU.

Not surprising. The major differences are in the electronics with the MR different.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #903 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb1035 View Post

Jvinsepa, yes, some members here have reported actually receiving the wrong media box from the factory and it worked just fine. As a matter of fact, since the panels themselves seem to be identical in the 1130 and the 5060 (with the only differences being in the electronics in the media receiver), if you pair an 1130 media receiver with a 5060 panel, you basically have an 1130.

I'm one of those lucky people that received an Elite MR with my non-Elite order. I ordered the 5050 and received the 1120 MR with it. It has all the functionality of the 1120 Elite. All I'm missing is that pretty little Elite logo on the front of my panel and the all black stand (since I don't have it mounted to the wall).
post #904 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 AM

I heard the "white scene" panel buzz the first few nights, but haven't heard it again these past 2 weeks. I haven't specifically looked for it, but I don't recall ever hearing it again after first 4 or 5 days. My wife noticed it and pointed it out the first couple of nights, but she has made no mention since, so I'm ready to declare victory on that front. Not sure what changed to make it go away??? I've never heard anywhere that this issue goes away through normal break-in, but I'll count my lucky stars anyway.

T2Starr, I second your comments. I've noticed that I've changed my viewing habits - I'm watching a heck of a lot more PBS and HD channels (ESPN2, Discovery, HD Net Movies) now. I used to spend lots of time viewing other DirecTV channels, but I rarely go there any longer - only after I've exhausted all HDTV programming possibilities first. The HDTV images are so much better than SDTV, that it's difficult to go back to the standard stuff.
post #905 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzy View Post

I have a S77 hooked up to my 1120. I really don't notice much in the way of picture quality difference between 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I attributed that to the 1120's good scaling capability, $200 didn't seem too bad to hold me over until HD-DVD becomes more affordable (compared to $800 or whatever the top Pio player cost at the time).

Nuzy

Actually the deinterlacing functions of the DVD player chipset surpass those of the display and thats what you are seeing to a large extent at 480P. You can test this by turning off the progressive function on the DVD player and observing the difference at 480i instead of 480p video signal output. AS a progressive display, the Pio also has a deinterlacing chip that isn't as good. You could actually test this at 480/720/1080 just to differentiate effects of upscaling vs deinterlacing--might be interesting.
post #906 of 5600 Old 11-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

Actually the deinterlacing functions of the DVD player chipset surpass those of the display and thats what you are seeing to a large extent at 480P. You can test this by turning off the progressive function on the DVD player and observing the difference at 480i instead of 480p video signal output. AS a progressive display, the Pio also has a deinterlacing chip that isn't as good. You could actually test this at 480/720/1080 just to differentiate effects of upscaling vs deinterlacing--might be interesting.

If I knew how to turn off the "progressive function" of the S77 I would try it, but I don't know how. I don't want to get off thread topic too much so if anyone knows how to do it and wants to PM me, feel free.

Thanks,
Nuzy
post #907 of 5600 Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM

I had to have the power shut down to portions of my house for some electrical work being done. The outlet that my 1130 was plugged into was affected. When the power was returned and the 1130 used for the first time since power was removed from it I was surprised to find that the entries made to the user A/V mode of input 1 were all reset to default. I made no other entries in any other A/V modes or inputs so they were still at default settings.

I find this a little aggravating to make all these adjustments and have them disappear when the power is removed. Now the question I have is if I spend the money for the ISF C3 calibration what happens to it when the power is removed from the 1130? Regular ISF calibrations would be made in the user A/V mode and they can be lost so what about C3 calibration?
post #908 of 5600 Old 11-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry If this has already been covered (I stopped reading after about 14 pages)... but I just got the Elite 43".... Can someone please list their settings for me to use just as a starting point.

Thanks in advance.
post #909 of 5600 Old 11-04-2005, 09:17 AM

Lhamp, go to page 22 of this thread. D-Nice provides some settings for a 930 on that page.
post #910 of 5600 Old 11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Bingo... thanks Rub
post #911 of 5600 Old 11-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyTunes View Post

I had to have the power shut down to portions of my house for some electrical work being done. The outlet that my 1130 was plugged into was affected. When the power was returned and the 1130 used for the first time since power was removed from it I was surprised to find that the entries made to the user A/V mode of input 1 were all reset to default. I made no other entries in any other A/V modes or inputs so they were still at default settings.

I find this a little aggravating to make all these adjustments and have them disappear when the power is removed. Now the question I have is if I spend the money for the ISF C3 calibration what happens to it when the power is removed from the 1130? Regular ISF calibrations would be made in the user A/V mode and they can be lost so what about C3 calibration?

I was under the impression that when you have an ISF calibration the new defaults for the TV are in fact the settings the ISF technician performed; i.e. if you hit the reset button, or if you have a power outage, the TV will return to the ISF settings. Someone whose had an ISF calibration done recently may have more info.
Bish
post #912 of 5600 Old 11-05-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelton View Post

I discovered that the key sequence for entering the service menu on past models also works on this one (although it took me about five tries--glad I didn't give up). I didn't change any settings in there, though, mostly out of fear.

I tried the posted sequence below many many times and I just can't get it to work.
Start with the plasma turned OFF.
Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold).
Wait 3 seconds.
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER (on the remote).

Is this sequence correct and are all the presses seperate and not together, is it all with the remote or is some with the mc?

eelton said he had to do this several times, I wonder why it's so unreliable?
Help appreciated.
post #913 of 5600 Old 11-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I know this was covered earlier, but I wanted to bring it up again as I've just set up my 930.

When using the hdmi connection, there is a very annoying lag when switching from an HD to a non HD channel (or vice versa)... during this time, the picture goes from black to either static or some scrambled form of the screen.

I don't know about you guys, but I find this incredibly annoying... so much so, that I've decided to use the component connection. Bottom line, I don't find the HDMI picture to be that much better to warrent the aggaivation the switching glitch causes me.

Just wanted to know if everyone was experiencing the same thing.
post #914 of 5600 Old 11-05-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamp View Post

I know this was covered earlier, but I wanted to bring it up again as I've just set up my 930.

When using the hdmi connection, there is a very annoying lag when switching from an HD to a non HD channel (or vice versa)... during this time, the picture goes from black to either static or some scrambled form of the screen.

I don't know about you guys, but I find this incredibly annoying... so much so, that I've decided to use the component connection. Bottom line, I don't find the HDMI picture to be that much better to warrent the aggaivation the switching glitch causes me.

Just wanted to know if everyone was experiencing the same thing.

Yep, just the way HDMI works. Another solution would be to set your STB to one output...720p or 1080i.
post #915 of 5600 Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yep, just the way HDMI works. Another solution would be to set your STB to one output...720p or 1080i.

Not a bad idea at all.
post #916 of 5600 Old 11-05-2005, 10:22 AM

I ordered my 5060 on wed, and got it on friday. I ordered through Satellite & Sound, Inc and they were very good to deal with. The crate was delivered by Seko and it arrived in great condition. Let me start off by saying i am by no means an expert, I barely know the difference between component and svideo. I kept warning my wife that regular cable might look like crap and don't worry we will be ordering HD soon. ANyway we plugged it all in and wow, just wow. It looks great even with regular cable. My wife looked at me like I was crazy and said, "This looks way better then are old tv." We watched CHicken Run last night, with our 3 year old and wow, again. I just can't believe this tv looks this great. Also it is very very big. WHy didn't it look this big in the store, hehe. ANyway I am interested in wall mounting it now. Has anyone had any luck with the Sanus mount? Sears has a very good deal on it right now and I am wondering if that is an ok one. If you want to take a look, go to sears then search for sanus, should be the first thing that comes up.

For those of you sitting on the fence like I was for so long I can only say, What the heck are you waiting for. This tv is fantastic.
post #917 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've been reading this thread ever since inception and reading all posts from what it seems like many happy owners. I've been patient on pulling the trigger as this is my first plasma and will be for quite sometime so I wanted to be abcolutely certain.

All I can say is that I'm NOW anxiously waiting my very own PDP-5060! I purchased this set at Future Shop here in Canada, comparable to a Best Buy. I got a great deal off MSRP, which is 6999 CAD, so it was a no brainer to buy from there.

I should add that the Canadian sets DO NOT come with a stand or speakers. I had to pay extra for the stand which goes for $299 CAD MSRP. Don't know the price of the speakers as I will be using my 5.1 set.

Anyways I think I'm going to order the Elite stand instead and return the stand I got raped on!

I have delivery set for Tuesday, can't wait!!!

See Profile
post #918 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
scanido:

Congrats on the new plasma. I'm amazed at how much prices have dropped over the last few years. I hate to tell you how much my 503CMX cost 3 1/2 years ago.

BTW: Best Buy owns Future Shop, so there's really little difference between them. I like shopping online at Future Shop. They have free shipping for almost anything.

Enjoy!
post #919 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 01:19 PM

Excellent, thankyou.

I swapped my media box for a new one yesterday (attitude at the store varied from "sure we can do that" from the guy I have been dealing with to "all the boxes make some fan noise, but oh whatever" from the manager). The old box made a persistent 500Hz hum which because of the frequency was very hard to dissipate or block and was always there. The new box makes a slight rushing noise (the kind of noise you expect from a fan) which is much quieter and less persistent, and easy to block.

My conclusion is that while all media boxes make some noise, there is probably considerable variance and if it bothers you, change it, as I did.

Julian
post #920 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 4360 and I can't hear the media box at all, and I'm very sensitive to noises. I also don't hear any buzz from the panel itself like I do from my 5050.
post #921 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Hello folks,

I just set up my 1130HD today. I'm using a Cable Card I purchased from my Cable Company 2 weeks ago. The only external equipment I'm using with the system is a DVD player that seems to work fine. HOWEVER, I'm not getting any of the HD channels that the Cable Card is supposed to give me. Do I have to call the cable company to have it activated? The display recognizes the cable card info so I'm pretty sure I installed in correctly.

Thanks in advance for an info. Jim
post #922 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Any reason why the Channel +/- on my Plasma remote doesn't work. I have to enter the channel I want to view by pressing the individual numbers. I'm using a Cable Card which according to the manual I cannot execute Auto Channel Pre Set. Thanks, Jim
post #923 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM

My wife started my quest for a new TV by suggesting we move our 27" CRT up to the kids' family room because the 19"CRT up there is on its last legs. That was 3 months ago, and during that 3 months I've finally decided:

-it'll definitely be a 50" vs. 42"
-I don't care for the looks of the 50u, or it would be on my wall already, because of th rave reviews it gets. Since the HP 50" is basically a Panny, I'm looking very closely at it, because its bezel is all black and it seems to offer quite a bit in the way of features and price.
-I've ruled out any silver bezels and most other models except for the Pios and Pannys.

I'd love to do what you did and go ahead and get the 5060. I love the aesthtics and the media center. My wife is now saying things like "just buy one already", whearas before she was real concerned with what it looked like and how much it cost! I've pretty much wore her down with my indecision!

My reluctance on the 5060 are things I've read and observations I've made regarding PQ. I REALLY want this display to handle SD material well. We only have 2 local HD channels so far, and a lot of the Dish content we watch isn't going to be HD for some time. The few times I've seen the 5060, I actually noticed "jaggies" on graphics and text elements that I didn't see quite as prominently on the adjacent 50" plasmas. I was standing at a distance of about 8 or 9 feet. One of those was a new Zenith model (priced at a full 2k less!!) and those elements looked much "smoother", een when I got just a few feet away. Is the Pio scaler or deinterlacer inferior to other sets? Or could it be that the Pios at BB are set improperly to the point of making its PQ less than it actually can be? Maybe they have the sharpness cranked or something?

Because my other two options are pretty good also (the HP, and the 8UK) I really want to believe that the Pio is the best way to go before getting it.

Thanks,
Rod W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller View Post

Well I finally finally made the jump and bought the pio 5060 today. I have been sitting on the fence for a long while now and finally just made the plunge. I should get it on friday and right now I am sort of in a shock/coma. My wife never thought I would make a decision and just buy one already.

post #924 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnbrother View Post

Hello folks,

I just set up my 1130HD today. I'm using a Cable Card I purchased from my Cable Company 2 weeks ago. The only external equipment I'm using with the system is a DVD player that seems to work fine. HOWEVER, I'm not getting any of the HD channels that the Cable Card is supposed to give me. Do I have to call the cable company to have it activated? The display recognizes the cable card info so I'm pretty sure I installed in correctly.

Thanks in advance for an info. Jim

You need to contact your cable co.
post #925 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnbrother View Post

Any reason why the Channel +/- on my Plasma remote doesn't work. I have to enter the channel I want to view by pressing the individual numbers. I'm using a Cable Card which according to the manual I cannot execute Auto Channel Pre Set. Thanks, Jim

again, contact your cable co. your card is not activated.
post #926 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod W View Post

My wife started my quest for a new TV by suggesting we move our 27" CRT up to the kids' family room because the 19"CRT up there is on its last legs. That was 3 months ago, and during that 3 months I've finally decided:

-it'll definitely be a 50" vs. 42"
-I don't care for the looks of the 50u, or it would be on my wall already, because of th rave reviews it gets. Since the HP 50" is basically a Panny, I'm looking very closely at it, because its bezel is all black and it seems to offer quite a bit in the way of features and price.
-I've ruled out any silver bezels and most other models except for the Pios and Pannys.

I'd love to do what you did and go ahead and get the 5060. I love the aesthtics and the media center. My wife is now saying things like "just buy one already", whearas before she was real concerned with what it looked like and how much it cost! I've pretty much wore her down with my indecision!

My reluctance on the 5060 are things I've read and observations I've made regarding PQ. I REALLY want this display to handle SD material well. We only have 2 local HD channels so far, and a lot of the Dish content we watch isn't going to be HD for some time. The few times I've seen the 5060, I actually noticed "jaggies" on graphics and text elements that I didn't see quite as prominently on the adjacent 50" plasmas. I was standing at a distance of about 8 or 9 feet. One of those was a new Zenith model (priced at a full 2k less!!) and those elements looked much "smoother", een when I got just a few feet away. Is the Pio scaler or deinterlacer inferior to other sets? Or could it be that the Pios at BB are set improperly to the point of making its PQ less than it actually can be? Maybe they have the sharpness cranked or something?

Because my other two options are pretty good also (the HP, and the 8UK) I really want to believe that the Pio is the best way to go before getting it.

Thanks,
Rod W.

Your local BB probably had it set to Vivid. Ask for the remote and dial in your own settings.
post #927 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Earlier there was a discussion regarding the 1130 digital outputs being defeated when using the HDMI input.

Did anyone figure out if this can be changed or are the digital outs not an option when using the HDMI input.

Thanks

John

post #928 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:

My reluctance on the 5060 are things I've read and observations I've made regarding PQ. I REALLY want this display to handle SD material well. We only have 2 local HD channels so far, and a lot of the Dish content we watch isn't going to be HD for some time.

Rod,

All the while I was setting up the 5060 I kept telling my wife, "Remember it won't look that good with sd stuff, you have to be prepared for that." I must have said it 12 times, after I hooked it up and cable was coming through she said, "I thought you said it was going to look bad, this is better then our old tv.(a crt) So is sd crystal clear and have a wow factor, no, but sd did suprise the heck out of me and my wife.
post #929 of 5600 Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

It is very difficult to evaluate at the store no matter what. The best shot you have is if you can get the remotes for both sets to make settings more reasonable and realistic. Even better if you can control the source.

I may be the one in this thread with the most PQ ambivalence with the Pio. But I have no question about the superiority of the Pio over the Panny for SD (my concerns were more on HD cable material and with motion). This for overall SD PQ and for better stretch mode (cinema) for viewing 4:3 full screen (others may disagree.... this is my opinion). I had the Pio 1130 next to the Panny PX500 at Magnolia with an OTA SD channel and both remotes in my hand.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #930 of 5600 Old 11-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

It is very difficult to evaluate at the store no matter what. The best shot you have is if you can get the remotes for both sets to make settings more reasonable and realistic. Even better if you can control the source.

It is very difficult for me to evaluate at the store, because I know I can get the Pio from Pioneer's authorized online vendors for significantly less than BB...so, since I know I'm not going to buy it there, I just don't feel right asking them to go out of their way to help me evaluate the display.

As D-Nice pointed out the BB might have the panel set to Vivid. Does Vivid crank up the sharpness to reveal the "jaggies"?

Quote:

I may be the one in this thread with the most PQ ambivalence with the Pio. But I have no question about the superiority of the Pio over the Panny for SD (my concerns were more on HD cable material and with motion). This for overall SD PQ and for better stretch mode (cinema) for viewing 4:3 full screen (others may disagree.... this is my opinion). I had the Pio 1130 next to the Panny PX500 at Magnolia with an OTA SD channel and both remotes in my hand.

Then thanks to those in this forum who have responded to my post and others, I've fianlly decided the Pio is the way to go for me! I was leaning that direction due to the Media Center and the "aesthetics" but kept hearing how good the Panny is. But it sounds like combined with the stretch mode and the fact that the Pio quite possibly does a better job of scaleing SD material, I'm going to stop my perpetual indecision and pull the trigger on a Pio. Now comes the "fun" part: 5060 or 1130? And who "gets the sale"? Let the "dealing" begin!

Thanks All!

Rod W.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page