Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 PM
liy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you check out Page 38 of your owner's manual, you will find that if you manually set up your channels you may include only those that you really want. As I do not have this TV, I am uncertain whether the same procedure will generate a "delete" option. Check it out - and report back so that we all know!!

LIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

Not to be disrespectful of the time and effort going into the posting of settings for your HDTV here, but can we really assume that quality control is so good that two HDTVs with identical settings really will give you an identical picture? Other threads have commented on how a certain model of HDTV made in one country is better than the same model with a different country of origin.

My understanding of accepted tolerances in the consumer electronics field would lead me to believe that quality control is not that tight.

You make a good point, but I have LOVED the settings being posted. I actually have a text file of different ones, to give me a starting point when we get our 1130. As with anything, I'm sure there are differences, and personal tastes comes into play as well. But I'll welcome anyone's suggestions, even if I don't like them
post #993 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

Not to be disrespectful of the time and effort going into the posting of settings for your HDTV here, but can we really assume that quality control is so good that two HDTVs with identical settings really will give you an identical picture? Other threads have commented on how a certain model of HDTV made in one country is better than the same model with a different country of origin.

My understanding of accepted tolerances in the consumer electronics field would lead me to believe that quality control is not that tight.

All US plasmas are assembled in the USA with Japanese parts (not including speakers and MR). Identical TVs???..... nothing is identical, but because they are made on an assembly line do you think that the difference would be greater than 3%? I don't. Worst case scenario is that all settings posted may require a very slight adjustment here and there. I would agree that a TV made for the USA would be very different that the same TV made for the UK as the specs must be in compliance with each country's standard specification codes.
post #994 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvoe1 View Post

Some great info here. Thanks to everyone. I am currently (like others) debating b/w the 5060 and the Panasonic 50PHD8UK. I will be going to BB this weekend to try and compare first hand (I know the Panny will be a different model). Hopefully one of them knocks my socks off and I don't get stuck in the indecision rut that many people here seem to have hit. With the 5060, I am most concerned about the judder and the buzzing some people have heard - I think that would really bug me. Also, the ~$1500 difference in cost has to be a factor. Even after buying a HDMI blade or two for the panasonic it is still a grand cheaper.

Anyway, have most people here bought their TVs from TVA, or is there another online site I should be looking at? Thanks.

It is unfortunate that some others had a buzz with their MR but mine doesn't.

Judder...I don't see it. Some are more sensitive to it than others....just like rainbows in DLPs.

If you are trying to justify the price of the Pioneer vs Panasonic, don't. Just go buy the 8UK as it is also great set.
post #995 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 06:22 PM

After waiting until the price got down to the point where I could justify to myself (and my wife!) buying a high end 50 inch plasma I finally pulled the trigger tonight. Actually, the price of the Panny 500U was the price I was waiting for, but my eyes kept going back to the 5060. Both are great TV's and I am sure there are people who like the Panny better, and the lower price is a bonus. However, the 5060 just has a jaw dropping pop to my eyes. There were a few other things that also sold me on the Pioneer. A couple of days ago I was watching the 5060 and 500U side by side showing SD. I had the salesman tune the store's satellite to a highly compressed channel, which was showing Happy Days. The 5060 looked notably better than the 500U, and I figured if it could make that showon that channel look watchable, then it should handle any SD I could throw at it. This is very important to me since the TV is not going to be just dedicated to HD and DVDs.

I bought it at Future Shop (owed by Best Buy here in Canada) after they ran an advertisement today for a $500 price drop. After further negotiations I got it for quite a bit below was it was listed for yesterday.

Delivery in about a week. HD PVR to be bought this weekend. I'm not sure who is more excited - me for finally getting my dream TV, or my wife for no longer having to listen to me talk about what to buy and when to buy it!
post #996 of 5600 Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

All US plasmas are assembled in the USA with Japanese parts (not including speakers and MR). Identical TVs???..... nothing is identical, but because they are made on an assembly line do you think that the difference would be greater than 3%? I don't. Worst case scenario is that all settings posted may require a very slight adjustment here and there. I would agree that a TV made for the USA would be very different that the same TV made for the UK as the specs must be in compliance with each country's standard specification codes.

The situation I was thinking about was a discussion of new generation Panasonic PDPs made in Mexico vs. those made in Japan Both are made for the U.S. market. (Of course, I should have searched for this in the first place, so I would be clear as to what I am talking about. )

Resistor and capacitor tolerances can be as great as 10-20%, so theoretically the difference in performance between two units could be greater than 3%.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I just wanted to point out that we often talk about consumer electronics as if they were precision components, when that may not actually be the case.
post #997 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 12:23 AM

I just bought a 5060 wonderful tv. One thing I don't like is the receiver fan. I actually have it in a closet where it can't be heard if I could'nt put it in another room the noise would drive me crazy. I also have a problem with getting the cable card to work.

I live in Detroit and have Comcast service. I've had a tech over 6 times trying to get a cable card to work. I've finally decided to get a tv repair person to look at the set to see if theres something wrong with it. When the card is put in the set and they send a signal to it nothing happens. I can only receive anolog stations and the up and down channel buttons don't work. Can someone else post there experience with a cable card in this model.
post #998 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjazz View Post

I just bought a 5060 wonderful tv. One thing I don't like is the receiver fan. I actually have it in a closet where it can't be heard if I could'nt put it in another room the noise would drive me crazy. I also have a problem with getting the cable card to work.

I live in Detroit and have Comcast service. I've had a tech over 6 times trying to get a cable card to work. I've finally decided to get a tv repair person to look at the set to see if theres something wrong with it. When the card is put in the set and they send a signal to it nothing happens. I can only receive anolog stations and the up and down channel buttons don't work. Can someone else post there experience with a cable card in this model.

There seems to be some variation in the fan noise from one media box to the next. It sounds like you've overcome the problem, but if you wanted you could exchange the media box for another.

As for CableCard, I'm using one with my 5060, and it's been fine. As I recall, when installing it I had to power cycle the media box a couple of times to get it to start working. In your case, I agree at this point with having the Pioneer checked out, although I still suspect the problem is on Comcast's end. This may be another reason to exchange your media box.

--Eric
post #999 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I had some cable card issues initially (with a Panasonic plasma). The comcast tech on my end wasn't the issue. The person the tech talks to at Comcast has to punch in the right codes. If your account is not set up correctly, it won't work. It took a 3rd call by the tech to get my cable card to work -- the first two people he spoke with didn't know what they were doing.

It took one visit, but instead of 20 minutes, it took about 3 hours. At first I only saw analog channels as well. When he finally got a knowledgeable person at Comcast, they were able to authorize the digital channels too.

Try again with Comcast, but make sure the tech gets someone senior on the other end. You may have just been unlucky with multiple calls getting similarly poorly trained people. Not unusual at Comcast apparently.
post #1000 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I had some cable card issues initially (with a Panasonic plasma). The comcast tech on my end wasn't the issue. The person the tech talks to at Comcast has to punch in the right codes. If your account is not set up correctly, it won't work. It took a 3rd call by the tech to get my cable card to work -- the first two people he spoke with didn't know what they were doing.

It took one visit, but instead of 20 minutes, it took about 3 hours. At first I only saw analog channels as well. When he finally got a knowledgeable person at Comcast, they were able to authorize the digital channels too.

Try again with Comcast, but make sure the tech gets someone senior on the other end. You may have just been unlucky with multiple calls getting similarly poorly trained people. Not unusual at Comcast apparently.

Did you have a problem with the up down channel buttons?
post #1001 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

After my CableCard was inserted, but before it was activated, the up and down channel buttons didn't work. In other words, it's not a separate problem.

--Eric
post #1002 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No.
post #1003 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 02:02 PM

I use Patriot Media in Central New Jersey. My cable card is made by Motorola. I own a Pioneer Elite 1120.

I have the same problem that I've had since I've had the tv. ESPNHD doesn't always work initially. Sometimes I have to "channel up" or "channel down" or press the number of the channel to get the channel to work. What happens when it doesn't work is I receive a frozen frame of the broadcast. The reason I have this problem only with ESPNHD and none of the other HD stations is that it's the only HD station delivered in 720P- the others are delivered in 1080i.

I had an interesting problem last night. YES network is broadcast in HD here. Last night the New Jersey Nets had an away game and it was broadcast in SD. The cable company told me that sometimes the game isn't broadcast in HD. It was interesting that the tv automatically extended the telecast to a full wide screen format. Normally there would be black or gray bars around an SD broadcast.

Pioneer Elite Pro-1120 HD Plasma with Cable Card
Chief Wall Mount Bracket
Paradigm Mini Monitor L/R Front, CC-170 Center, AMS-100 L/R Rear Speakers, and PS-1000 Subwoofer.
Denon AVR-2800 Receiver
post #1004 of 5600 Old 11-12-2005, 03:36 PM

5060 is ready for delivery - woohoo! just got to paint the wall and set up for connection now

went to an electrical store yesterday and saw my first dead pixel on this panel. it was red and located in top left hand quadrant. looked awful once i knew it was there hope this is not an omen

in australia, when you buy a pioneer plasma they send their people to set it up and tune it for you. so whats the best way to check for dead pixels when the tech's here? is it possible to get coloured screens up or do i need to test dvd for eg?

also, i would appreciate any assistance in knowing where the power and hdmi cable is suppose to come out when using a wall bracket - ie, are the cables suppose to come out in the gap between the wall bracket or directly below the bracket? want to set this up before technician comes.

thanks,

julie
post #1005 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 10:39 AM

I also cannot get the TV Guide to show any data, even though it goes thru' the full setup procedure and controls the cable box correctly.

Help appreciated.
post #1006 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 AM

I have now discovered you need to turn off the TV Guide at startup in the TV Guide setup - default preferences menu. This prevents the service menu appearing.
post #1007 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogonboy View Post

I also cannot get the TV Guide to show any data, even though it goes thru' the full setup procedure and controls the cable box correctly.

Help appreciated.

I found that my cable company blocks (probably unintentionally--they're not that smart) the guide info, which is carried on a local PBS channel. Try connecting an antenna to the Pioneer's B input so that the data can be downloaded over-the-air. That worked for me.

--Eric
post #1008 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Just got my 5060 from Future Shop and want to say this TV is AWESOME!

I had the new Sony 40" XBR LCD before deciding to exchange it for this plasma and I have to say the color, contrast and sex appeal of this TV wins flat out! The dual HMDI inputs are a plus as well! Did I mention this TV looks HOT!

Since most peeps here are posting their 1130 Elite settings I'd like to be the first to share my settings for the 5060 under break in and normal use. BTW, the display hasn't shown any image retention at all.

Here are my settings that I have settled for when i watch HDTV on my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR from Rogers:

Contrast: 30
Brightness: -1
Color: -10
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -2

Pure Cinema: Adv
Color Temp: Mid
CIT: On
DNR: Mid
MPEG NR: Low

My DVD settings are almost the same except contrast is set for 28 and brightness is set for -2

See Profile
post #1009 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 05:38 PM

seen two 5060's with dead pixels in shops now. this leaves me a 50% average.

won't deter me from buying one though but if it has a dead pixel on delivery its going back for exchange

regards,

julie
post #1010 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 06:30 PM

Hi Pioneer owners. I wanted your take on a couple things. This question is directed in particular to Pstrisk, since he is not entirely happy with the 1130HD.

I recently bought the Fujitsu 50, and have some issues with it. First, I am noticing a fair amount of false contouring. You can easily spot this on a gray ramp pattern on VE or Avia. I have adjusted the settings to minimize this, but it still turns up and is something that I really hate. I know Pioneer touts this issue as one that it does well at ameliorating, and I'm just wondering if you might be able to tell me if you notice it on your display. Master and Commander is a good one to test this, as it has lots of foggy scenes (ch. 3 in particular).

Second, the Fujitsu is fairly noisy. I can hear the fans buzzing from my normal viewing position, about 9 feet away.

Third, I am able to see the weird "rainbow" effect on this panel. This is not common, and it only turns up with a dark object moving quickly against a light background. I can see brief flashes of yellow in the outlines of the moving figures. The beginning of Master and Commander chapter 5 shows this well. This effect has been seen by others on the Fujitsu, and more commonly (because there are more out there) on the Panasonic displays. Interesting, really, as they use the same glass.

Anyway, the aggregrate effect of these things is beginning to bug me, enough to consider exchanging it.

I'd love to hear your comments on the Pioneer.
post #1011 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

kmramos,

Maybe you should try the 1130. If you don't like it, take it back. As far as pstrisk is concerned, I don't think he is going to find "the perfect plasma" anytime soon. I think he is going to get a 8Uk. I hope he knows that it suffers from the "floating black" issue.

pstrisk, judder....floating black....judder....floating black....tough call.
post #1012 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkryan View Post

First, thanks for all the great posts re this plasma. I ordered one from TVA 2 days ago, am waiting for delivery...cable HDTV box coming Friday...your great input made the decision MUCH easier.
Now for a minor dilemma...what to store it in. I have a Mitsubishi 40" CRT in a TV Armoire, and will move it to another room. We have been shopping (agreement between my off-duty supervisor--wife--was that plasma=no problem, just be able to hide it in a cabinet when it's not being used). But, most of the furniture seems to accommodate about 50" total. This tv, if you include the speakers is about 55" wide. Pioneer says:

Display - No Speakers 48-7/32 x 28-1/4 x 3-5/8 inches (WxHxD)
Display w/ Speakers - Flush Mount 54-9/32 x 28-1/4 x 3-5/8 inches (WxHxD)
Display w/ Speakers - Air Mount 55-3/8 x 28+1/4 x 3-5/8 inches (WxHxD)

So, my questions is, how important are the side speakers? I have a Yamaha/Bose surround system, but hate to crank all that up just to watch prime time or the news...usually only use it when watching a movie. Can you put these speakers somewhere else? Do they have wires, or hard mount on the tv? Any other suggestions for alternate sound if I remove them? Can you use "computer" speakers and wire them in the RCA jacks, etc? Any suggestions so I can use the 50" cabinet?
I found a few that will work w/speakers (56"+) but do not like most of them.
Thanks,
-Kevin

I prefer using the side speakers for "everyday" TV watching, and will use my surround system for DVD's. So to answer your question, yes I think the side speakers are important. The sound quality is surprisingly good, which I have further improved by hooking a subwoofer to the MR sub output. I don't see any reason why you couldn't mount these wherever you want. Just get longer speaker wire than what they include with the plasma.
post #1013 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina View Post

Hi Guys,

We have ordered our Pioneer 5060 and can expect delivery within 2 weeks.

Question regarding wall mounting - is the power outlet and hdmi cable suppose to run in the gap between the wall mount or should they be located just below the mount?

Also, what sort of wall casing should we use to make the hdmi cable look tidy entering and exiting the wall?

Thanks,

Julie

I had an electrician install a outlet behind the plasma. I also ran a 2 inch conduit from a cabinet below that enters the wall through holes in the plasma mount. I should have some pictures by this weekend
post #1014 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmramos View Post

Hi Pioneer owners. I wanted your take on a couple things. This question is directed in particular to Pstrisk, since he is not entirely happy with the 1130HD.

The only problem I'm having is the judder I perceive. Otherwise, I think the 1130 is quite a set with excellent PQ.

Quote:

I recently bought the Fujitsu 50, and have some issues with it. First, I am noticing a fair amount of false contouring. You can easily spot this on a gray ramp pattern on VE or Avia. I have adjusted the settings to minimize this, but it still turns up and is something that I really hate. I know Pioneer touts this issue as one that it does well at ameliorating, and I'm just wondering if you might be able to tell me if you notice it on your display. Master and Commander is a good one to test this, as it has lots of foggy scenes (ch. 3 in particular).

I have used Master and Commander as a reference disk some and have noticed no false contouring whatsoever on the 1130. I did notice some on the 4312 I had prior. Use a gray ramp screen, the transitions are not totally smooth however. So, I guess it is there to some degree, I just have never seen it in DVD or HDTV viewing. I suppose it is possible that you are more sensitive than most to false contouring and will see it where I don't. I am sensitive to the judder effect and see it where others don't (including on the Fujitsu 50"). If that is the case, you will have to test out the 1130 for yourself before you will know for sure.

Quote:

Second, the Fujitsu is fairly noisy. I can hear the fans buzzing from my normal viewing position, about 9 feet away.

Again, "noisy" is so subjective that it is hard to know if we are using the same scale. However, the Pio has an external media receiver with a fan. The panel has no fan that I am aware of. If one is in there, I have never heard it. The MR's fan is audible, but not distracting. I have the box in a console that is open in back and screened in front and I don't hear it at all unless I am less than a foot or two from the screen. You have the flexibility with the MR of putting it in a closet or even on the other side of the wall if you want. Only one cable connects the MR to the display. All your sources connect to the MR.

Quote:

Third, I am able to see the weird "rainbow" effect on this panel. This is not common, and it only turns up with a dark object moving quickly against a light background. I can see brief flashes of yellow in the outlines of the moving figures. The beginning of Master and Commander chapter 5 shows this well. This effect has been seen by others on the Fujitsu, and more commonly (because there are more out there) on the Panasonic displays. Interesting, really, as they use the same glass.

I have never seen a rainbow effect on my plasma or any plasma, lcd, dlp, etc. You could better judge if you get an answer from a Pio owner that does see rainbow on DLP.

Quote:

Anyway, the aggregrate effect of these things is beginning to bug me, enough to consider exchanging it.

Most of what you are concerned about, except for fan noise can probably be evaluated in a decently set up store. Do you have one nearby?

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #1015 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as pstrisk is concerned, I don't think he is going to find "the perfect plasma" anytime soon.

What!!! You mean he's on a wild goose chase?!

Quote:

I think he is going to get a 8Uk. I hope he knows that it suffers from the "floating black" issue.

pstrisk, judder....floating black....judder....floating black....tough call.

One of the things that attracts me to the 8UK is the flexibility of using a video processor and inputting native resolution to the panel. But, don't know what I will do yet. It's back to the drawing board. I may end up with a sub 2K EDTV and wait another year or two before getting a longer term investment.

Is there a good way to evaluate the floating black issue in a store? I don't have access to an 8UK, but there is a 500U on the wall the Magnolia here.

post #1016 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

What!!! You mean he's on a wild goose chase?!

One of the things that attracts me to the 8UK is the flexibility of using a video processor and inputting native resolution to the panel. But, don't know what I will do yet. It's back to the drawing board. I may end up with a sub 2K EDTV and wait another year or two before getting a longer term investment.

Is there a good way to evaluate the floating black issue in a store? I don't have access to an 8UK, but there is a 500U on the wall the Magnolia here.

Not exactly sure if you will see it in the store, but most owners have seen it at home. Even the dumbasses at CNet have seen it on the 8UK.

Personally, I don't think you are going to get away from the judder you are seeing if you get a 8uk.....scaler or no scaler....you are just sensitive to it. How often do you use ADV pure cinema? Remember there are only 2 true ways to get rid of judder from progressive movies:

1. feed a panel 48HZ
2. feed a panel 72HZ

At any rate, I hope you find something that satisfies you.
post #1017 of 5600 Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not exactly sure if you will see it in the store, but most owners have seen it at home. Even the dumbasses at CNet have seen it on the 8UK.

Personally, I don't think you are going to get away from the judder you are seeing if you get a 8uk.....scaler or no scaler....you are just sensitive to it. How often do you use ADV pure cinema? Remember there are only 2 true ways to get rid of judder from progressive movies:

1. feed a panel 48HZ
2. feed a panel 72HZ

At any rate, I hope you find something that satisfies you.

Thanks!

I just read through a couple of the "black level changing" threads. Seems that some see it, some don't and there are very few reports of the problem with the 50" 8UK. But the risk is still there.

I think you may be correct about the judder. I am now seeing it on all sets I look at, though at varying degrees. The bigger the set, the more noticible it is.

All of this is so frustrating to a perfectionist like me. That's why I think about getting a lower end ED like the Costo Panny 42PM50U and reducing my expectations. I would be better able to put up with flaws on a sub $2K set that I knew I'd be willing to replace in a year or two.

post #1018 of 5600 Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjs View Post

After waiting until the price got down to the point where I could justify to myself (and my wife!) buying a high end 50 inch plasma I finally pulled the trigger tonight. Actually, the price of the Panny 500U was the price I was waiting for, but my eyes kept going back to the 5060. Both are great TV's and I am sure there are people who like the Panny better, and the lower price is a bonus. However, the 5060 just has a jaw dropping pop to my eyes. There were a few other things that also sold me on the Pioneer. A couple of days ago I was watching the 5060 and 500U side by side showing SD. I had the salesman tune the store's satellite to a highly compressed channel, which was showing Happy Days. The 5060 looked notably better than the 500U, and I figured if it could make that showon that channel look watchable, then it should handle any SD I could throw at it. This is very important to me since the TV is not going to be just dedicated to HD and DVDs.

I bought it at Future Shop (owed by Best Buy here in Canada) after they ran an advertisement today for a $500 price drop. After further negotiations I got it for quite a bit below was it was listed for yesterday.

Delivery in about a week. HD PVR to be bought this weekend. I'm not sure who is more excited - me for finally getting my dream TV, or my wife for no longer having to listen to me talk about what to buy and when to buy it!

Hi IRJS,

I tried to private message message you, but I guess you have it turned off.

Do you mind telling me what you were able to haggle the 5060HD down to?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 5060 here in Ottawa and would like to know what kind of deal is at least possible.

You can PM me.

Thanks a lot.
post #1019 of 5600 Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 AM

On my 5060, there is a very noticeable "bulging" effect on SD channels. When viewing CNN for instance, the text scrolling across the screen seems to start off in a straight line, then towards the middle of the screen "bulges" before it straightens out again as it goes off screen. I don't know if I'm being clear...is this what's known as ghosting? It's only an issue on SD channels, HD content is perfect.
post #1020 of 5600 Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

In a week I'm swapping my HP PL4200N for a Pioneer 4360, and I had a few questions for you owners.

The main reason that I'm swapping the TVs is: I SEE RAINBOWS ON THE HP. Yes, that's right, RAINBOWS.

This phenomenon has been documented elsewhere on the forums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rainbow+plasma

so I know that I'm not going crazy.

The effect I see comes in a few colors, mainly yellow and light blue. It manifests in a way very similar to what one might see on a DLP set. Usually the yellow flashing appears during scenes of high contrast or on white text against a black background. Needless to say, it's very irritating to the eyes. This is pretty disappointing because the PQ on the HP (which is just a rebadged Panasonic) is beautiful. Suspcicion abounds that the problem is the result of Panasonic's sub-pixel controller, which may cause timing delays with certain colors.

So, after all this, I've decided to swap the HP for the Pioneer. Has anyone noticed anything like this on the Pioneer? Oh, and by the way, how is SD on this set, because SD on the HP is more than I could have ever hoped for.

Thanks a lot.

Btw, what is false contouring?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page