Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5600 Old 11-17-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_bryan View Post

Peter,

Thanks so much for taking time to post the stretch modes. I agree that the cinema mode looks quite good on the Pio. I am a bit disappointed about the HD stretch modes. They are not very useful. I truly fail to see the logic behind manufacturers (including Panasonic) that design new and sophisticated products that fall short on the most basic real world applications of that product.

You will likely need HD stretch very seldom. In a pinch, at least Pio gives you "wide". Panny doesn't give you anything.

BTW, I am currently investigating Hitachi and have found that Hitachi seems to have the best of all for SD (I didn't check for HD stretch). They have a mode that is similar to "cinema" in the Pio... a little stretch, a little zoom. But they also add the ability to move the picture up or down in that mode and any mode that zooms (with the remote and without going into the menus). Very cool.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5600 Old 11-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvoe1 View Post

Marathon - FYI, I have read great things about the S77 and will be ordering one right after I order the TV. Anyone have a suggested site/brand for HDMI cables?

I've bought HDMI cables from monoprice.com which are very reasonable, and work perfectly well.
post #1083 of 5600 Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PCANDPLASMA is not on Pioneer's authorized internet dealer list (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html) and therefore Pioneer will not honor the warranty. They are also selling Elites online, which Pioneer doesn't allow.

As Dirty Harry would say, "Do you feel lucky?"

(after all, we are about movies, eh?)

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #1084 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 05:20 AM

The site seems legitimate, but that price seems too good to be true. I would proceed with caution.
post #1085 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Would you buy from a company that is listed like this with Network Solutions?

Organization:
xxxxxxxxx.inc
xxx xxx
xxxxxxxx
Brooklyn, NY 11111
US
Phone: 111-111-1111
Fax..: 111-111-1111

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com

Domain Name: PCANDPLASMA.COM

Created on..............: Wed, Nov 19, 2003
Expires on..............: Sat, Nov 19, 2005
Record last updated on..: Fri, Nov 26, 2004

Administrative Contact:
xxxxxxxxx.inc
xxx xxx
xxxxxxxx
Brooklyn, NY 11111
US

Technical Contact:
xxxxxxxxx.inc
xxx xxx
xxxxxxxx
Brooklyn, NY 11111
US

Zone Contact:
xxxxxxxxx.inc
xxx xxx
xxxxxxxx
Brooklyn, NY 11111
US
post #1086 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 06:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by apru View Post

Can anyone tell me if any of the newest commerical Pioneer display, I think it's model PDP-504CMX, uses the 6th generation panel glass. The web site doesnt seem to be clear on this point. thx

Actually the 504CMX has been out for over a year (my friend bought one in early Nov last year). One thing that really bugs him is the lack of any sort of non-linear stretch mode on their commercial models. He discovered this after he got it set up in his house and tuned to all his favorite news channels (he's a big SD news watcher). He would have returned it for this reason alone but his vendor doesn't take returns so he begrudgingly puts up with it. Their consumer models have the best SD stretch modes, i just wish they'd include them on their commercial models as well as making them all available for HD content on the consumer models. That might have been enough for me to choose the Pioneer instead of the Panny i bought instead.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1087 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 AM

Definitely proceed with caution. The Brooklyn, NY address is most worrisome. Check other threads and you'll get an idea of the reputation most companies based in Brooklyn have.

I think peace of mind is worth that.
post #1088 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 08:53 AM

I just bought the new dv-79avi yesterday and this morning I had my whole system pulled out to hook it up. I bought a fire wire cable to connect between my 79avi and Integra Research RDC 7.1.

As Im looking at the back of the 1130 MR, I see the two firewire ports and I think to myself "wow! I forgot about these, I'll buy another firewire cable and use it to connect the 1130 to the RDC 7.1 too".

Not so fast........I check the 1130 Owners Manual to read up on the firewire ports and I find that the 1130 firewire ports are only compatable with D-VHS units and nothing else.

How can Pioneer release two Elite video products within 60 days of each other (both with firewire ports) and not have firewire compatability? Im guessing this must have something to do with copy protection or some other legal issue because I cant imagine it was a design consideration.

John

post #1089 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Marathon Man, I think we met in BB and Tweeter the other day, is that you?

send me an email at mswlogo hotmail com
post #1090 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I would like to share my settings that I am using from a TWC SA 8300 cable box via HDMI. Please let me know what you think....

Main Menu:
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 25
Brightness: -3
Color: -16
Tint: -2
Sharpness: -2

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema: Standard
Color Detail:
Color Temp: Manual
R High: -2
G High: -3
B High: -2
R Low: -2
G Low: -3
B Low: -1
CTI: Off
Color Management:
R: 0
Y: -7
G: 0
C: +6
B: 0
M: -1
NR:
DNR: Low
MPEG NR: Low
DRE:
DRE: High
Black Level: On
ACL: Off
Gamma: 3
Others:
I-P Mode: 1

I tried these settings and I still have an overall washed out picture, like I used to have on my LCD. I actually put my color back to 0 because your setting of -16 was way too low for me.

I was expecting the "3D" look in that the black parts of the image were the same black as the bezel (I have heard that plasmas have the ability to completely turn off a pixel if it is in a black area of the scene - is this true, and how do I have it do this?), and shadow detail is close to what you would see in real life.

I've seen pix of the 6th gen pioneers where they show this effect. Maybe it was just the camera creating that illusion, as I never saw this on a real-live display yet... but I know it's possible. I bought a plasma to get good black level and I refuse to believe that this is as good as it gets. I watch a lot of dark movies and I don't really care if I have to sacrifice some brightness in bright scenes if I can get superb black level in dark scenes.

My question - is the washed out look of my black level because it is a new panel and I have to keep the contrast at this low level for the first 100 hours? I see in post #977, someone suggested settings that included contrast at 36. Would this help or hurt, and if it would create a more 3D-like image, would it be a bad idea to do it before 100 hours? Also, what is the purpose of changing the individual high/low colors and color management?
post #1091 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinsepa View Post

I tried these settings and I still have an overall washed out picture, like I used to have on my LCD. I actually put my color back to 0 because your setting of -16 was way too low for me.

I was expecting the "3D" look in that the black parts of the image were the same black as the bezel (I have heard that plasmas have the ability to completely turn off a pixel if it is in a black area of the scene - is this true, and how do I have it do this?), and shadow detail is close to what you would see in real life.

I've seen pix of the 6th gen pioneers where they show this effect. Maybe it was just the camera creating that illusion, as I never saw this on a real-live display yet... but I know it's possible. I bought a plasma to get good black level and I refuse to believe that this is as good as it gets. I watch a lot of dark movies and I don't really care if I have to sacrifice some brightness in bright scenes if I can get superb black level in dark scenes.

My question - is the washed out look of my black level because it is a new panel and I have to keep the contrast at this low level for the first 100 hours? I see in post #977, someone suggested settings that included contrast at 36. Would this help or hurt, and if it would create a more 3D-like image, would it be a bad idea to do it before 100 hours? Also, what is the purpose of changing the individual high/low colors and color management?

Not that it will change your perception that much, but I don't think these are his latest settings.
post #1092 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 04:31 PM

I've been around here lurking for a while trying to decide what plasma to buy. Well tonight I made my choice thanks to THIS review and this forum. I bought the 1130 and get delivery next week. I can't wait.

I just have to say thanks to all that give their input on this site. It really is much appreciated.

As a side question, does anyone here use the oppo dvd player with their Elite and mind sharing their experiences?
post #1093 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystify View Post

I've been around here lurking for a while trying to decide what plasma to buy. Well tonight I made my choice thanks to THIS review and this forum. I bought the 1130 and get delivery next week. I can't wait.

I just have to say thanks to all that give their input on this site. It really is much appreciated.

As a side question, does anyone here use the oppo dvd player with their Elite and mind sharing their experiences?

The photo in that article of the back of the MR looks nothing like mine......
post #1094 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystify View Post

Another obvious mistake is the resolution quoted by the review:

Model: PRO-1130HD (package contains PRO-505PU panel and media receiver)
Description: 50-inch Plasma TV, 16:9 Widescreen Format
Resolution: 1,024 x 768

The actual resolution is 1280x768. Besides these obvious errors, the review was very positive:

"Color handling, dark matter detailing, de-interlacing, and scaling are all top-notch on the Pioneer Elite 1130HD. Its picture is nothing short of astounding."
post #1095 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM

I too have been lurking for quite a while on the various AVS forums. I was originally planning to buy the SXRD, then decided to wait for the new 56" 1080P JVCs, but the first store I went to that carried that model had a bulb blow and took it off the floor. After one final look at the SXRD I made the decision to buy, and headed out of the store. On the way out I passed a 5060HD and was smitten. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I spent the past few weeks looking at every one I could find in a 3 state area.

While at a BB Magnolia I also saw 2 other sets that caught my eye. The first was a Panny 50PX500U, which had the first good picture I have seen on that model (probably just me but I tend to see a lot of false contouring in store setups for that brand). Since these sets are about the same price as the Pio and pretty much out of stock right now (and unlikely to come in before the new year), I decided to pass on that one. The second was an 1130HD Pioneer Elite - it appeared to be even better than the 5060 and the Fujitsu that were on either side of it... Double - WOW!

Due to the cost difference, I decided to go with the 5060. Initially I thought I would go with an unauthorized dealer to save some money, but was told that not only would I not receive a Pioneer warranty, but extended warranties were out of the question also.

Well, to make an already too-long story short, I spend the afternoon talking to most of the authorized Pioneer dealers out there. I spoke with some really nice people, in particular the people at Coza, Invision, and 6th Ave. After making the purchase with 6th, I realized I used the wrong credit card (decided to use one that gives me air miles). When I spoke to Steven who heads their plasma department, we began to talk Elite, and OMG, I can actually decided I could afford that unit (although I suspect we will be eating a lot of SPAM over the holidays).

I am really psyched, and cannot wait for the 1130 to come. I am already building a shrine to house it.

Thanks to everyone on the AVS Forums, the information has been extremely valuable, and I promise to provide feedback as soon as the set arrives.
post #1096 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham View Post

The photo in that article of the back of the MR looks nothing like mine......

Looks like the 1120
post #1097 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingdouble View Post

After making the purchase with 6th, I realized I used the wrong credit card (decided to use one that gives me air miles). When I spoke to Steven who heads their plasma department, we began to talk Elite, and OMG, I can actually decided I could afford that unit (although I suspect we will be eating a lot of SPAM over the holidays).

I am really psyched, and cannot wait for the 1130 to come. I am already building a shrine to house it.

Authorized on-line dealer or not, I thought Elite's couldn't be sold over the internet, period. The only Elites I've seen listed on the internet are from unauthorized dealers. Just curious, has this policy changed since 6 months ago when I bought my Pio plasma?

Nuzy
post #1098 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzy View Post

Authorized on-line dealer or not, I thought Elite's couldn't be sold over the internet, period. The only Elites I've seen listed on the internet are from unauthorized dealers. Just curious, has this policy changed since 6 months ago when I bought my Pio plasma?

Nuzy

6th ave sells online, but they also have b&m stores in NJ. Maybe they can get around the policy due to this fact?
post #1099 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspyrit View Post

6th ave sells online, but they also have b&m stores in NJ. Maybe they can get around the policy due to this fact?

I thought about that too, but TVA has a store in southern california and I'm pretty sure they don't sell Elite's via internet or phone. Then again, it could be their own choice.
post #1100 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamp View Post

Not that it will change your perception that much, but I don't think these are his latest settings.

What do you recommend for the type of effect I am looking for?
post #1101 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Pioneer has all the "Authorized" dealers on their web site.

Everybody else that sells the "Elite" ARE NOT "Authorized by Pioneer.

TVA is listed on their site but can only sell the 5060 and not the "Elite".

It is not their choice but the policy of Pioneer.

Buyers should beware and research all avenues before purchase.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #1102 of 5600 Old 11-18-2005, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Looks like the 1120

i wonder about the truthfullness of that review... with all that sugar coating, M&M's could make a fortune off it.

Looks like a bad rehash of an 1120 review. TV Guide wasnt mentioned at all that I saw...
post #1103 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
liy

Well, after much soul searching, forum reading, etc., I have decided to go with the 1130. Will be in around December 13 - Magnolia (BB). (Moving a 4 year old Pio 5030 upstairs).

Some questions still remain - mostly related to CableCard and HDMI (HDCP) connections - the most pressing of which is "Is it possible to extract Dolby Digital 5.1 sound through these connections?" - Unbelievably, even when I suggested that I was in the market for an HDMI capable AV receiver, the salesman seemed clueless on this topic, with no one to ask!

Doesn't someone on this forum know for sure?

Thank you.

LIY
post #1104 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liy View Post

Well, after much soul searching, forum reading, etc., I have decided to go with the 1130. Will be in around December 13 - Magnolia (BB). (Moving a 4 year old Pio 5030 upstairs).

Some questions still remain - mostly related to CableCard and HDMI (HDCP) connections - the most pressing of which is "Is it possible to extract Dolby Digital 5.1 sound through these connections?" - Unbelievably, even when I suggested that I was in the market for an HDMI capable AV receiver, the salesman seemed clueless on this topic, with no one to ask!

Thank you.

LIY

I'm not using any HDMI inputs (defective HDMI output on my HD TiVo), but I can tell you that I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from my CableCard.

--Eric
post #1105 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 02:22 PM
liy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelton View Post

I'm not using any HDMI inputs (defective HDMI output on my HD TiVo), but I can tell you that I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from my CableCard.

Could you expand a bit on your setup. Is everything going through the TV speakers or are you running into an AV receiver, etc?

Thank you!

LIY
post #1106 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 03:33 PM

WTF? Why does the VGA input have to be in the front of the media receiver?
post #1107 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have an elite 930... had it for about three weeks now and I absolutely love it. One problem though... I just noticed on very white scenes that there seems to be a slight burn-in line where my cable box guide comes on (I have a scientific atlanta 8300...which, for some reason shows the guide as 4x3 even when the image is 16x9). The line is predominantly on the left side, but there may in fact be one on the right as well... it's a light pink-ish color. Not sure what to do... I keep my contrast very low (I think it's, like 25 or 26 right now) and my brightness is around the middle. I've owned plasmas before and never had this problem. Any ideas of what I should do?

I'm going to post a new thread on this as I'm pretty concerned.
post #1108 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quick note... not sure it's where my cable guide is or where the settings menu comes on (there in about the same spot)... in either case, it shouldn't be there.
post #1109 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liy View Post

Thank you.

LIY

You may be able to get it from the cable card and then pass it thru the optical output but you will not be able to do the same with HDMI.
post #1110 of 5600 Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamp View Post

I have an elite 930... had it for about three weeks now and I absolutely love it. One problem though... I just noticed on very white scenes that there seems to be a slight burn-in line where my cable box guide comes on (I have a scientific atlanta 8300...which, for some reason shows the guide as 4x3 even when the image is 16x9). The line is predominantly on the left side, but there may in fact be one on the right as well... it's a light pink-ish color. Not sure what to do... I keep my contrast very low (I think it's, like 25 or 26 right now) and my brightness is around the middle. I've owned plasmas before and never had this problem. Any ideas of what I should do?

I'm going to post a new thread on this as I'm pretty concerned.

Sounds like image retention. I don't have it on my 930. How long is your guide up? It should go away with pure 16x9 viewing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 4360hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page