Official Pioneer 4360/5060/Elite Experiences, Set-up, Questions & Pictures Thread!!! - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
GRH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
D-Nice,

I recently setup and installed a Pio Elite 1130 using HDMI Input 1 connected to HDMI port on a DirecTV HD receiver H10. I've checked and tested the HDMI configeration serveral times for the 1130 but can not understand why the audio stops working when I watch HD channels (70s). When I watch SDT the audio works fine.

Here are the settings I am using under Option Menu:
HDMI Input / HDMI Input [Input 1] / Setting - ENABLE, Video - AUTO, Audio - AUTO.

I 've tried changing the Audio option from Auto to Digital with the same results. The Audio continues to work when watching SDT but not HD channels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyleaxp View Post

After months of reading these forums, I fianlly decided on the Pioneer 5060 which was installed yesterday!! Spectacular TV and I thank you all for you help in selecting it.

Are there any current owners out there? Do you have any recommendations on the 100-hour break-in period? What do I need to do differently during the first 100 hours? How about optimal settings? Any setting differences when watching HD broadcast versus regular broadcasts? I have a comcast hd dvr if that helps. TV is currently set to AUTO for sizing and 4:3 is set to WIDE to fill the screen. The cable box is hooked up to INPUT 1 with composite cables.

Thanks in advance for your help - this forum has been terrific and I wouldnt have been able to make the decision to buy the TV without it. Unfortunately, you can expect lots of newbie questions. I tried searching the forum for answers to some of these questions, but was not succesful. Thanks again.

For the first 100 hrs, make sure your picture fills the entire screen. Try not to watch anything with black/grey bars on the side. Once you get settings you like and are comfortable with (check back a few pages in this forum for recommendations), you won't need to change for HD/SD content...your settings should be fine for both. You may want to tweak settings for dvd. Enjoy the set.
post #1173 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post

D-Nice,

I recently setup and installed a Pio Elite 1130 using HDMI Input 1 connected to HDMI port on a DirecTV HD receiver H10. I've checked and tested the HDMI configeration serveral times for the 1130 but can not understand why the audio stops working when I watch HD channels (70s). When I watch SDT the audio works fine.

Here are the settings I am using under Option Menu:
HDMI Input / HDMI Input [Input 1] / Setting - ENABLE, Video - AUTO, Audio - AUTO.

I 've tried changing the Audio option from Auto to Digital with the same results. The Audio continues to work when watching SDT but not HD channels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

George

It sounds like there is an issue with your STB. Can it send dolby digital over HDMI? If so, disable that as the Pioneer will not accept it over HDMI. You can verify the dolby digital in your STB's manual.
post #1174 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post

I am still looking and trying to make my mind up. I can get a great deal on a Elite Pro1410HD, but afraid it's a year old and the replacement is just around the corner.. or the brand new Hitachi 55" with all the new bells and whistles.

I read this thread, and wonder is Pioneers Custoemr support really that bad? that is important, especially with this kind of item. When I called them yesterday, they told me the 50" elite has more features and a better picture than the 61" Elite.. not very encouraging!

any help from the peanut gallery?

The 6100 is based off NEC glass. Pioneer will make a 6G glass 61" plasma in '06... if their plasma reconstruction plan allows for it.
post #1175 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_dba View Post

D-Nice

What is the importance of this power save mode save2? Thanks

Dave

It lowers the screen's peak brightness (reduces image retention) and uses the least amount of power. My 930 on save2 is still brighter than my 5050 with its power setting on standard.
post #1176 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

The 6100 is based off NEC glass. Pioneer will make a 6G glass 61" plasma in '06... if their plasma reconstruction plan allows for it.

thanks.. I am looking at the Elite's though, not the 6100. is there a difference?
post #1177 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've yet to see a pro930hd but, i do look at the 1130 every day at work. I'm thinking very seriously about buying the 930 sight unseen.. gotta be as good as the 1130..

D-Nice:

What are your thoughts about your pro930? I'm going to wall mount it in my bedroom. Also, are the settings you provided earlier in this thread for another poster the same settings for your 930? If not, could you post your 930 settings please.. Thanks.

-Chip

- Chip
post #1178 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Post #1150 has the settings for my 930. I have no complaints about the 930. Absolutely love it.
post #1179 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Post #1150 has the settings for my 930. I have no complaints about the 930. Absolutely love it.

Thanks dude. I did copy-paste those earlier...thought they might've been different. I wish we were modded for a 930. The 1130 sells itself ..well almost

- Chip
post #1180 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post

thanks.. I am looking at the Elite's though, not the 6100. is there a difference?

The Elite is still using the older 5th generation glass as well. At work, I see the 5060, 1130, 920, 6100, and the 1410. The 5th generation glass on the 6100 and the 1410 cannot compete with the other 4's quality. I'd hold off until next year or check one of the other 60"+ plasmas such as fujitsu or Panasonic.
post #1181 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 09:42 PM

OK. Another questions from the noob. I have had the 5061 for 3 days and I really am enjoying....everything but one thing. The TV Guide sort is really messing me up..HAHA!

Does anyone know how to set it to sort by channel number instead of whatever sort it is using now (actually I cant decide what it is sorting on). There is an option to modify the channel position, but with over 200 channels to move around that could get quite interesting.

I am probably missing something.........can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks!!

Sean
post #1182 of 5600 Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkuba View Post

OK. Another questions from the noob. I have had the 5061 for 3 days and I really am enjoying....everything but one thing. The TV Guide sort is really messing me up..HAHA!

Does anyone know how to set it to sort by channel number instead of whatever sort it is using now (actually I cant decide what it is sorting on). There is an option to modify the channel position, but with over 200 channels to move around that could get quite interesting.

I am probably missing something.........can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks!!

Sean

There is no way to do it. Blame is on Gemstar. You will have to manually organize them and of you lose power, its all gone.
post #1183 of 5600 Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 AM

I'm looking hard at the 5060 (again) but I have a difficult mounting problem. There is one -- and only one -- place in my house this screen can go. Specifically, it has to be mounted in -- not on -- the wall, with the narrow lip of the bezel & glass being the only part of the screen that will actually be in the same room as the viewer. The rest of the panel will be embedded in the wall. I will have to trim two studs back a couple inches (no structural issues with that) and have a custom mount made to attach the panel to the studs. As for cooling issues, the other side of the wall is the basement steps which can be opened and a grill put over it for ventilation.

If this sounds vaguely familiar to anyone, I posted a question like it a month or so ago on a mounting thread, but got only "it ought'a work" replies. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who's done it this way or seen it done.

thanks!

Angus
post #1184 of 5600 Old 11-24-2005, 06:19 AM
GRH

D-Nice,

Your suggestion worked. I went into the H10 audio options and changed the Digital Output to PCM from Dolby Digital.

I want to share with you and the rest of the members this is an outstanding forum. The information you share is honest, straightforward and accurate. I have been reading this forum for at least a few months before I purchased my Pio 1130 and my time has been well spent. The Pio 1130 is the one of best plasmas on the market the PQ and design is excellent.

Thank you.

George
post #1185 of 5600 Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post

D-Nice,

Your suggestion worked. I went into the H10 audio options and changed the Digital Output to PCM from Dolby Digital.

I want to share with you and the rest of the members this is an outstanding forum. The information you share is honest, straightforward and accurate. I have been reading this forum for at least a few months before I purchased my Pio 1130 and my time has been well spent. The Pio 1130 is the one of best plasmas on the market the PQ and design is excellent.

Thank you.

George

I'm glad we (all forum members) could help you. Now go enjoy your 1130

Happy Turkey Day.
post #1186 of 5600 Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like there is an issue with your STB. Can it send dolby digital over HDMI? If so, disable that as the Pioneer will not accept it over HDMI. You can verify the dolby digital in your STB's manual.

OK, I'm a little confused. I am planning on running a 79avi to a 74txi, then from the 74txi to an 1130, all using HDMI. Will I get the Dolby Digital signal that way? Or are you talking about the 1130 outputing DD? I know I'm comparing apples and oranges, but wanted to check.
post #1187 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, I have been trying to keep my Pro/Con on Panny vs Pio up to date on page 38 of this thread as I have learned more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...03#post6565003

Any moderators read this thread, sure would nice if this thread was sticky.
post #1188 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 12:43 PM

regarding channel drop out issues, is it atsc tuner only? Because we have that problem with our displays. Does it also apply to the cablecard? (panasonic px50u's)

I'd also like to add that Panasonic's con is cannot stretch material when going through component

Pioneer each input have their own settings, so each device can work to the best of their abilities.

and yes, I'm pro Pio
post #1189 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks I added the can't zoom on component as a panny con.

On pio is it's own settings on each input apply to Elite or all Pio's. I know Elite can calibrate each input.

Can you explain the dropping channels on pio more or post a reference. I'd have to reread the panny thread for details. But it didn't look pretty. I'm pretty sure it was atsc tuner. I don't recall seeing such issues in this thread but it may well be documented in other threads. If it's equally a problem I will fix it.
post #1190 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

Thanks I added the can't zoom on component as a panny con.

On pio is it's own settings on each input apply to Elite or all Pio's. I know Elite can calibrate each input.

Can you explain the dropping channels on pio more or post a reference. I'd have to reread the panny thread for details. But it didn't look pretty. I'm pretty sure it was atsc tuner. I don't recall seeing such issues in this thread but it may well be documented in other threads. If it's equally a problem I will fix it.

Thanks for making/updating that list - it is a nice place to reference, and yes I wish it was sticky!
post #1191 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

The xx60 models have settings memory for each input in the "user" video mode. Settings are not individual for the others (standard, movie, etc.).

BTW, the Panny industrial models have input memory also. It's only the Panny consumer line that doesn't.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #1192 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 02:46 PM

after many years of service, my old yamaha receiver is definitely behind the times. i'm torn between a couple of midrange denons to replace it: the avr-3806 and avr-4306.

power isn't an issue for either...about the only difference of note (far as i know) is the fact that the 4306 will upconvert my analog sources to hdmi, while the 3806 will upconvert only to component (though it *does* have hdmi switching).

while the idea of a single connection is tempting, i'm wondering if i'd actually get better results from my old LD and VHS decks if i hooked them up via s-video instead of letting the denon do the work...i know that with my old tv (an xbr crt) i found i had better results by hooking up the LD via composite rather than s-video, because the tv's comb filter did a much better job than the LD player's.

i'd like to think that the pio will do a better job of de-interlacing everything for me, which leads me toward the (cheaper) 3806, but i have no idea about the quality of the upconversion circuits in the 4306. anybody out there had experience with a situation like this?
post #1193 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

The xx60 models have settings memory for each input in the "user" video mode. Settings are not individual for the others (standard, movie, etc.).

BTW, the Panny industrial models have input memory also. It's only the Panny consumer line that doesn't.

Hmmm, you ordered that 8uk
post #1194 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Hmmm, you ordered that 8uk

NO COMMENT!!

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #1195 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

NO COMMENT!!

You don't have to. I hope thinks work out for you.
post #1196 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus99 View Post

I'm looking hard at the 5060 (again) but I have a difficult mounting problem. There is one -- and only one -- place in my house this screen can go. Specifically, it has to be mounted in -- not on -- the wall, with the narrow lip of the bezel & glass being the only part of the screen that will actually be in the same room as the viewer. The rest of the panel will be embedded in the wall. I will have to trim two studs back a couple inches (no structural issues with that) and have a custom mount made to attach the panel to the studs. As for cooling issues, the other side of the wall is the basement steps which can be opened and a grill put over it for ventilation.

If this sounds vaguely familiar to anyone, I posted a question like it a month or so ago on a mounting thread, but got only "it ought'a work" replies. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who's done it this way or seen it done.

thanks!

Angus

Angus,

I added a half-bath downstairs and overbuilt it in size to possibly accomodate a relative moving in(thank goodness that did not transpire! ). I am now using that wall to flush-mount a plasma and electric fireplace. AV components will also be recessed.

I had marked out dimensions for the 8UK, but have elected to not go that route because I sold my Pioneer 5330HD(almost 4 yrs old and not one thing wrong with it) and I am not as patient as others. I cannot justify the additional $1k+ for the Elite, so I will be ordering the 5060.

I have access to both sides of said wall. This makes construction 10x easier. I had already run dedicated power to that site. My original thought was to simply allow the monitor to rest on itself secured by some kind of backstrap. I have since nixed that idea in favor of creating another "wall" behind it so as to attach the monitor to a wall mounting brace. No one has confirmed to me that allowing the plasma to support its own weight was a bad idea- I just want to be safe.

Most likely I will build the "back" wall first. I will then trace the monitor from the backside and cut and stud accordingly. This should allow for the smallest of trim pieces. The room is painted a dark navy, save the ceiling. This should also help the monitor "hide" in the wall. I'm one of those folks who photo-chronicles everything- habit picked up from modifying my S2000. If you haven't begun/completed your undertaking, I'd be happy to share what I come up with. I am by no stretch any kind of master carpenter or finish man, but with the wall accessible from both sides, I should be able to accomplish my goal.

At this time, I'd also like to thank all those who have taken time to share their time, knowledge, experience, and passion for HT. Through research, especially here, I am at peace with my soon-to-be newly purchased Pioneer. Now, how soon do i replace my Denon 3300-series avr and Yamaha dvd player?

Learning... always learning
post #1197 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2Skip View Post

Angus,

If you haven't begun/completed your undertaking, I'd be happy to share what I come up with. I am by no stretch any kind of master carpenter or finish man, but with the wall accessible from both sides, I should be able to accomplish my goal.

Skip, I'd really appreciate any photos/descriptions you have time to share. And thanks for resurrecting my question. Thought that one had died! I plan to order a Pio 5060 tomorrow. Still not sure how I'll attach it to the studs, but I envision some sort of custom-made "s" shaped clamps that attach to the back of the stud and screen. Maybe I'll make them in two pieces so they can be adjusted. Also, I'll likely use some thin weatherstripping on the back of the bezel to keep drafts from the basement stairway out of the living room. Doesn't sound like you'll have that problem .

Best of luck with your project! I look forward to seeing how you manage it.

Angus
post #1198 of 5600 Old 11-25-2005, 11:28 PM

If one were to turn off the TV Guide feature, would the fans still run in the MR box with the power turned off ?

The Mitz dlp with the TV Guide on consumes 70w for the TV Guide with power off!
post #1199 of 5600 Old 11-26-2005, 12:16 AM

My audio seems to be a little out of sync with my video when utilizing the monitor out outputs.

I am utilizing the digital coax out from my DVD player dince my Bose system does not accept fiber. So, since my Bose does not accept fiber I must utilize the medai center's monitor out outputs to my video inputs (audio) on my Bose.

The video seems fine when utilizing my DVD player (straight into the Bose). However, when I use the media center's monitor out outputs there is enough of a sync issue to be noticable....you can also very easily notice if you turn the volume up on the 6051 itself...there is a noticeable "echo".

Anyone else have this issue?

I am hoping that this is something that can be resolved. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sean
post #1200 of 5600 Old 11-26-2005, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmach View Post

If one were to turn off the TV Guide feature, would the fans still run in the MR box with the power turned off ?

The Mitz dlp with the TV Guide on consumes 70w for the TV Guide with power off!

Yes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 4360hd 43 Inch Purevision Widescreen Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page