Daewoo Plasma & Lack of Customer Service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 166 Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Daewoo Plasma (DTS-42) last November and had no problems until September 14th. I called up one of their local service centers and who came out the next day and picked up the TV. The service center called me up the day after and told me the panel was bad and they could not repair it at their location it would have to go back to the main warehouse in New Jersey where most likely they will replace it with a new TV. I thought that would be a good thing because I would have myself a new TV. Here we are a month later and nothing has been done, My TV still sits at the local service center because they have to wait till Daewoo sends them a box in which to package my TV for return. I've contacted the Daewoo customer service line several times (at least 10) and all they tell me is that they will send an email to their Headquarters and someone will contact me back within 48 hrs. I've yet to receive a call from anyone at Daewoo regarding this issue. I've called and spoken with one of their techs who told me the problem is they don't have any boxes to send out to the service center, They are waiting on a shipment but they have no idea when they will come in; meanwhile my TV has been reduced to a very expensive paper weight. The local service center can't do anything without the box, customer service is no help at all and I'm left without a TV. The way I see it is the service center will probably get the box within the next two weeks, The will send it back to Daewoo where it will sit for about 2-3 weeks until someone gets around to it and about 3-4 weeks later I should (crossing fingers) get the replacement TV. I have never dealt with such poor customer service and lack of responsibility in my life. I will never purchase anther Daewoo product as long as I live. I even asked the technician if he owns a Daewoo television and he laughed and said "No Way"

Unbelievable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM

Just poor customer service network here...its not a bad product. As usual, you get what you pay for,
post #3 of 166 Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Try to find a box locally. You might get lucky

So glad i kept my box. If i ever throw it away, the TV will fail the next day. Murphy's law. I think everybody should find a way to keep the box. Mine's hanging from the rafters in my garage with rope slings. It's presence ensures that my display will not go bad.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 166 Old 10-13-2005, 05:47 AM

But, if they know already that they have to replace the unit, why can't they ship the replacement, and then use the box that came with it to ship back the defective?

(me, and this is a constant argument with my other half, I like to keep the styrofoam of the units I get, for as long as I can. But a year is a bunch of time!!)
post #5 of 166 Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

rod_video, I agree with you about sending out the replacment asap but unfortunatly they need to have their second team of techs look it over. I never thought a box would be such a major pain in the a$$.
post #6 of 166 Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 AM

out of curiosity, what happened to your TV?
post #7 of 166 Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Don't know what happened, one day everything was fine and the next day I had a red line coming down the screen
post #8 of 166 Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My brother has the same TV. Halloween night I stopped by his house and asked "What's the green line running down the left side of the screen?". He looked and said he hadn't noticed it before.
So he tried to go through COmpUSA where he bought it and they couldn't help at all except to tel him to contact daewoo directly.
He called daewoo and left a message. They called right back and when he told them the problem they said it's a known issue with that model????? They also said they would send him a box to ship it in and they would take care of it (not sure if they said fix or replace).
SO hopefully he will be taken care of.
please update me/us on your situation and I can do the same.
Hope you get it taken care of.
post #9 of 166 Old 11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder if Daewoo has figured out the problem and fixed it? My DTS42 is about 2 weeks from going out of warranty and I just got the vertical line today.

So, do I deal with Daewoo and get a suspect replacement that may go bad in another 1-2 years, or do I use CompUSA's extended warranty I bought and hopefully get the Zenith as replacement as they're no longer dealing with Daewoo?

Decisions, decisions.
post #10 of 166 Old 11-10-2005, 06:17 AM

Wow I guess it's not just me that is having this exact problem right now. Had a vertical line on mine and called them and got the "they'll call you within 48 hours". So far, it's been since October 11th and they still haven't called me after about 4 more calls back to them saying they notified the manager of customer service or whatever. Nothing so far. The CSR said they should be sending a box for me also according to some kind of log they have to keep track of progress, but the technician still hasn't called me to let me know what the hell is going on. It's really frustrating but since I can still watch it (with another line that just developed 2 weeks ago as I watched TV) I guess there's not much else I can do. Mine is out of warranty now but I called about the problem within the warranty period so they said it would be covered. So I have one bluish line and one red line at the left side of the screen, and nobody from Daewoo has called me about it after about a month of waiting. Actually I think I'll give them another call today but I don't think it'll get me anywhere...not fun but really I'd just be happy if they fix or swap it at this point. Sounds like this is a problem they have in general with service issues...
post #11 of 166 Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 AM

Since there are a few of us with basically the same problem and frustration, does anyone think if we all contacted the Attorney General in Daewoo's state that maybe they would actually resolve this? It's just a thought, but companies do tend to wake up when that happens.
post #12 of 166 Old 11-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Hmm maybe it's deja vu or something but just a minute ago I received a call from Daewoo saying a box is shipping to me and should be there within one week, and they are doing a replacement. As people mentioned, I don't know why they ship an empty box and then send a replacement unit after that. They could save a trip and just bring the new one as they take the bad one...oh well at least some progress is being made, at least it seems that way.
post #13 of 166 Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM

I have had this problem also. Red and green lines running through the screen. I just got my new TV today and guess what it has a green line on it also. Very frustrating I will have to now get a 3rd tv.
post #14 of 166 Old 11-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj2004 View Post

Hmm maybe it's deja vu or something but just a minute ago I received a call from Daewoo saying a box is shipping to me and should be there within one week, and they are doing a replacement. As people mentioned, I don't know why they ship an empty box and then send a replacement unit after that. They could save a trip and just bring the new one as they take the bad one...oh well at least some progress is being made, at least it seems that way.

This is just insurance for them to get the old one back.
post #15 of 166 Old 11-28-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

PJ2004,
Is the replacement unit being shipped to you prior to returning the old unit? I was told that I'm going to receive a box to ship my unit to them, but I wasn't expecting a replacement until they get it and either fix it or determine it not fixable, which of course will leave me without my plasma for some period.

If there's a way to get a replacement in before I'd like to know how.
post #16 of 166 Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 AM

They sent a box with the packing foam and once they receive the old one back they ship me a new one, or at least I'm hoping it's new and not a refurb. Either way I hope this issue doesn't happen on the new one, because I don't think there is any kind of warranty on the replacement. Anyone know about that? From what they told me they can't ship the replacement until the bad one is received at Daewoo. I'm just glad I don't have to drive the thing to a service center.
post #17 of 166 Old 11-28-2005, 02:05 PM

wow, i'm glad i got the extended warranty from compusa since mine is now out of manufacturer's warranty. i wonder how much worse dealing with compusa than daewoo would be if this thing breaks. hah!
post #18 of 166 Old 12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to reply and say that daewoo sent my brother a new plasma and they picked up the defective plasma yesterday. We hooked the new one up tomoday and no dead pixels/lines on it ......yet.
post #19 of 166 Old 12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They sent a box with the packing foam and once they receive the old one back they ship me a new one, or at least I'm hoping it's new and not a refurb. Either way I hope this issue doesn't happen on the new one, because I don't think there is any kind of warranty on the replacement. Anyone know about that? From what they told me they can't ship the replacement until the bad one is received at Daewoo. I'm just glad I don't have to drive the thing to a service center.

Just to let you know they did ship my brother an empty box in which to pack his defective one. Then they sent a replacement that would deliver the new one as well as pick up the bad one.
Also the new one is a refurb. Or at least the sticker on the back says Sep. 2004, so I believ it's a refurb. But it looks spotless. No signs of it being used/scratched, etc.
post #20 of 166 Old 12-08-2005, 12:45 PM

FYI, I have the same story: First a red vertical line, then a blue vertical line, and then, not wanting to be left out, a green one. There is also now a wider red line on the very left.

I called Daewoo CS (about 4 days before warranty expiration, phew) and got a case number. They said a tech would call. Noone ever called so I called them back and they said they sent me an RMA letter and would be sending a carton. I got the RMA about a week ago and got the carton today. As no tech called I assume the problem is well known. Now I have to call them and they will arrange pick-up.

Frankly, I don't know how the broken TV is going to survive the trip given the state of this carton. And what ever happened to the "must be kept vertical" warnings? No such thing here. They don't seem to be too concerned with fixing this TV and turning it around.

Well, so far no problems with the Daewoo CS. I was quite happy with the TV but certainly expected more than a year of service. We'll see how it goes.

Does anyone have any idea on turn-around times?
post #21 of 166 Old 12-09-2005, 04:36 AM
gkm

Unfortunately I also have the same problem, i.e., vertical blue line on left side. I purchased this unit last year at Comp USA during their BF sale and my sole reason for purchasing the Daewoo was based on NEC internals (and the great pricing). I must say that the pdp produced an excellent picture and I was very satisfied until the vertical line developed. Based on the brand name I purchased an extended warranty and I'm extremely fortunate for doing so as the problem occurred one week subsequent to the factory warranty expiration.

Long story short, I had to option of receiving a new pdp (supposedly manufactured w/ Toshiba glass) w/ a 90 day warranty. To me that's BS and I opted for a 1250 replacement check.

Prior to my purchase of this Daewoo POS, I was set to purchase a Panny. That said, I found a TH50PX50U at the local Big Screen Store (as everyone knows these units are not readily available) and got them to price match Sears 400.00 price differential (on sale at Sears, but not available). The unit was delivered 12/6 and I couldn't be happier.

As an aside, I got a call from NJ location and the man told me that he was coming w/ a new pdp (said he had 30 on the truck for immediate customer delivery) and I reiterated that I was taking the check. I hope Daewoo will provide others with a satisfactory resolution as this problem appears to be a serious defect, but I have my doubts.
post #22 of 166 Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Moral of the story - keep your box.
post #23 of 166 Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 AM

Mine was picked up last night and they're supposed to send another one pretty soon, but I have a strange feeling that this line problem may happen with the replacement. I don't want to have to watch something with a nice bright colored line running up the screen, let alone a few of them. Daewoo offered you the check instead of a replacement? Or was that the extended warranty company? I don't believe replacements have any type of warranty (anyone know for sure?) but if this happens again I am not going to be happy. If it was a $100 TV that's one thing, but this wasn't so it kind of concerns me.
post #24 of 166 Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
ewww.. That Daewoo company sucks donkey's @$$.

To the main poster, how much did you pay for the TV??

You should've done careful research before making any serious purchase. Something like this you need to spend a lot of time looking and researching.. Purchasing a Daewoo is a big mistake to begin with...

Try to stay with the name brand companies.
post #25 of 166 Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 AM

My DTS-42 is over a year old and no problems (knock on wood). Still a great picture too... Time will tell I suppose.

I was thinking of picking up one of those new 50" Maxent MX-50X3 plasmas, but maybe I'll wait for the 50" Pannies to drop in price a bit. Sort of leary off the longevity of these lesser known brands.
post #26 of 166 Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post

My DTS-42 is over a year old and no problems (knock on wood). Still a great picture too... Time will tell I suppose.

You are one lucky person. I am on my 3rd DTS 42 in 12 months! I did buy extended warranty when I purchased the DTS 42. So far I am working under DAEWOOs warranty. GOOD LUCK

They are supposed to cross ship it to me! As it is off warranty. I got them to admit there was an design flaw in the DTS42 with they say is now fixed. I am supossed to get the "FIXED" version today. Guess what it did not come?

John
post #27 of 166 Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Mine was picked up last night and they're supposed to send another one pretty soon, but I have a strange feeling that this line problem may happen with the replacement. I don't want to have to watch something with a nice bright colored line running up the screen, let alone a few of them. Daewoo offered you the check instead of a replacement? Or was that the extended warranty company? I don't believe replacements have any type of warranty (anyone know for sure?) but if this happens again I am not going to be happy. If it was a $100 TV that's one thing, but this wasn't so it kind of concerns me.

Daewoo said they were gonna give me my 3rd DTS 42 in 12 months. It was just off warranty, they said they would warrant my replacement unit.

Getting through to DAEWOO on fone is a b**ch.

John
post #28 of 166 Old 12-19-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnfree View Post

I purchased a Daewoo Plasma (DTS-42) last November and had no problems until September 14th. I called up one of their local service centers and who came out the next day and picked up the TV. The service center called me up the day after and told me the panel was bad and they could not repair it at their location it would have to go back to the main warehouse in New Jersey where most likely they will replace it with a new TV. I thought that would be a good thing because I would have myself a new TV. Here we are a month later and nothing has been done, My TV still sits at the local service center because they have to wait till Daewoo sends them a box in which to package my TV for return. I've contacted the Daewoo customer service line several times (at least 10) and all they tell me is that they will send an email to their Headquarters and someone will contact me back within 48 hrs. I've yet to receive a call from anyone at Daewoo regarding this issue. I've called and spoken with one of their techs who told me the problem is they don't have any boxes to send out to the service center, They are waiting on a shipment but they have no idea when they will come in; meanwhile my TV has been reduced to a very expensive paper weight. The local service center can't do anything without the box, customer service is no help at all and I'm left without a TV. The way I see it is the service center will probably get the box within the next two weeks, The will send it back to Daewoo where it will sit for about 2-3 weeks until someone gets around to it and about 3-4 weeks later I should (crossing fingers) get the replacement TV. I have never dealt with such poor customer service and lack of responsibility in my life. I will never purchase anther Daewoo product as long as I live. I even asked the technician if he owns a Daewoo television and he laughed and said "No Way"

Unbelievable

I had same problem, except I live in NJ, 20 miles from DAEWOO. I told them to goto UPS store and buy me a box, else the attorney general was gonna knock at their door.

John
post #29 of 166 Old 12-19-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Since there are a few of us with basically the same problem and frustration, does anyone think if we all contacted the Attorney General in Daewoo's state that maybe they would actually resolve this? It's just a thought, but companies do tend to wake up when that happens.

I have already threatened to contact the attorney general. He has a great web page on the official state of NJ web page. Get a list here, I will contact the AG, get me names, addresses, and phone numbers!

I live in NJ, so does Daewoo! Anyone a lawyer?

John
post #30 of 166 Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't the pdp warrantied for more than a year?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page