Maxent 50" plasma MX-50X3 official thread - DO NOT POST PRICES!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfelsh View Post

So now I'm looking for DVI to HDMI, and found this: I won't post the price, but let me say ! That's cheap!

From the description:

"6FT HDMI Male to DVI-D Male CABLE for HDTV PLASMA DIGITAL VIDEO
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is the first industry-supported, UNCOMPRESSED audio/video interface."

Sweet! I ordered one. I checked them out on resellerratings.com, and they have a Six-Month Rating: 9.13/Lifetime Rating: 9.77. Not bad at all!

Please edit this post ASAP to NOT include a direct vendor link to avoid the thread getting locked. Thanks.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if my HD set-top box had HDMI (it doesn't , but this is a hypothetical question), then the HDMI cable carries both video AND sound?

HDMI will transfer both video and sound over the single cable. There are a few instances where audio will not be transferred and it is being blamed on a software conflict between different devices and not the cable. If you do some searching you'll see what is going on with v1.1 & v1.2 and so on. Chances are though that if you plug your device into your input via HDMI you'll get both audio and video.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #183 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So if my HD set-top box had HDMI (it doesn't , but this is a hypothetical question), then the HDMI cable carries both video AND sound?

But be aware that today the sound will only be PCM 2 channel, not DD5.1
post #184 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

3) The Best Buy internal product skew is: 7335485

My distant (none local) BestBuy indicated that this SKU was discontinued, but I thought this was a "new" product? (They did indicate I could order it...)
post #185 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM

this set has any macroblocking issue??

my 50" Vizio starting to bug me......... fan noise(2nd time), macroblock.....
post #186 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Universal remote: I use Dish network and for those looking to program their remote it was the final code listed for the Sampo (746) that worked for the 50x3.

Hold down TV for several seconds until all four clear buttons light up. Once all four light up, release the TV button and enter the code followed by the '#' key. The TV button will flash three times informing you that the reprogram was successful. Try adjusting the volume up and down and you'll see that it should work.

It seems many of the TV features aren't accessible through this remote. I can access the menu by selecting the TV and then menu but pushing the down button to scroll through the menu causes the menu to disappear... I assume because it thinks you're pushing the channel button down (even though there's no tuner built in). Dunno. But all the main features are there and that's good enough for me.

Jer

post #187 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 PM

Back from BB and bought the TV with BB 4yr Warranty and got a great deal. The beggining of this thread really helped!

Being delivered on Monday. Now I have to choose between DirectTv and Comcast. I have DirectTV now and I dont want to pay $500 for a new HD Tivo box. I also think Comcast has more choices, but the monthly is more $$$ Decisions Decisions.
post #188 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 PM

Can anyone who already has this unit in hand tell me if there is a seperate "breakout box" like the Pioneer or are all the connections actually on the unit itself? I need to get a LONG (about 12-18 feet) HDMI cable if that is the case and I want to wall mount it. My cable box will be in a nearby closet. Saw the link on FW for the cheap cables and will check there if i need to...

Thanks for the original post, BTW.
post #189 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfitz View Post

Back from BB and bought the TV with BB 4yr Warranty and got a great deal. The beggining of this thread really helped!

Being delivered on Monday. Now I have to choose between DirectTv and Comcast. I have DirectTV now and I dont want to pay $500 for a new HD Tivo box. I also think Comcast has more choices, but the monthly is more $$$ Decisions Decisions.

I just switched back to cable last month after being with DirecTV for about 8 years. BEST DECISION I'VE MADE in a long time. Was really worried about it but the service here (Time Warner) is great, has a better picture, less hassle (no buying boxes) and is priced the same as DTV. I say switch!
post #190 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My Best Buy (Lexington, KY) has the 50x3 in stock now, but not yet on display. That should change in the next two days. I'll see what I can find out when we pull it out!

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #191 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Another comment - when I looked up the TV in our system at BB today, I just had to look up all 50" plasmas. If the salesperson types in "Maxent" it won't come up, because it's listed under Regent, the company that owns the Maxent brand. That should explain the trouble some have had in finding it.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #192 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBritt View Post

Can anyone who already has this unit in hand tell me if there is a seperate "breakout box" like the Pioneer or are all the connections actually on the unit itself? I need to get a LONG (about 12-18 feet) HDMI cable if that is the case and I want to wall mount it. My cable box will be in a nearby closet. Saw the link on FW for the cheap cables and will check there if i need to...

Thanks for the original post, BTW.

So far some of the Pioneer and a couple of the Philips PDPs have the separate 'media box' that I know of. You won't find a 50" PDP that has it for less than $4k retail. One can buy a receiver w/video input/outputs to accomplish the same task.

Jer

post #193 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 PM

I just offered up the sku #, listed in the beginning of this thread, to the salesperson. No problem.

Anyway....went and took a look at the set tonight. I pick it up on the 15th. Got no interest til 2032, got the rewards zone card, used coupon. Got great deal. And believe it or not the wife approves so I can sleep indoors tonight.

Kind of bummed now though. There is something to be said for anticipation and thrill of the hunt. Kind of like Xmas after all the presents are unwrapped. Oh well, still have setting up to look forward to.

Xbox Live Tag....Number39
post #194 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 06:56 PM

I am not going to hang this on the wall for a while, so the wife and I are looking at a stand to house all the components. My only problem is she wants one from pottery barn where it has all front doors. I dont want to have to open the doors everytime a use a remote. My question is, if I get a good Universal Remote, can I just point it at the TV (no direct point to the Cable Box) and press the on off button and control the volume/channels and other components? Anyone understand what I mean?

Also, the guy at BB recommends a "Line Conditioner" along the lines of Pure AV......anyone think they are any good? Do I need a line conditioner?
post #195 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyjp View Post

I just offered up the sku #, listed in the beginning of this thread, to the salesperson. No problem.

Anyway....went and took a look at the set tonight. I pick it up on the 15th. Got no interest til 2032, got the rewards zone card, used coupon. Got great deal. And believe it or not the wife approves so I can sleep indoors tonight.

Kind of bummed now though. There is something to be said for anticipation and thrill of the hunt. Kind of like Xmas after all the presents are unwrapped. Oh well, still have setting up to look forward to.

Yes!!! Give them the sku or tell them Regent.

No interest for 18 months, or until 2032???
post #196 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
MODS NOTE:

Please understand that "ALL" Non-Technical post will be deleted.

Please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #197 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

My Best Buy (Lexington, KY) has the 50x3 in stock now, but not yet on display. That should change in the next two days. I'll see what I can find out when we pull it out!

Um, we were in that same Best Buy at about 7 pm and the guy said it had been on the floor since lunchtime...

My wife is a long time AVS lurker and she was the one who had to persuade *me* to buy the tv, rather than the other way round.
post #198 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 PM

For those having trouble finding the model, "MX-50X3" works, while "MX50X3" does not. The dash is very important.....go figure. Delivery on Sunday....

By the way, I was told that Monster's "special line conditioner" will double the life of a plasma TV if bought at time of purchase....
post #199 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 PM

For those lucky ones that got one, how big is the box? (LxWxH). Will it fit in a minivan?

Thanks!
post #200 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

For those lucky ones that got one, how big is the box? (LxWxH). Will it fit in a minivan?

Thanks!

Computer had 42inches high by 52 inches long (don't remember the width). However, they said that the measurements were often wrong after I questioned why the shipping weight was 180lbs.....
post #201 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Thanks!

Just measured the box mine came in and it's 15"x54"x38" and those are all rounded up as the measurements were slightly under full inches.

Jer

post #202 of 2189 Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 PM

How wide is the stand on the monitor (36inches?)? I need to find a good stand for it.
post #203 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 AM

I am interested to know the width of the screen with and without the speakers attached. I am in the market for a stand.
post #204 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not going to hang this on the wall for a while, so the wife and I are looking at a stand to house all the components. My only problem is she wants one from pottery barn where it has all front doors. I dont want to have to open the doors everytime a use a remote. My question is, if I get a good Universal Remote, can I just point it at the TV (no direct point to the Cable Box) and press the on off button and control the volume/channels and other components? Anyone understand what I mean?

Buy a Hot Link Pro kit. It's an IR extender so that you put your IR receiver on the outside of the cabinet, with the IR receiver and mini-emitters on the inside of the cabinet connected to all your AV equipment. Either that, or go with an RF remote if your equipment supports it.

Robert
post #205 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Still would like to know if anyone who has bought this unit or viewed one at BB has noticed the same green tint compared to other Plasmas on display or to their CRT at home.

Also would like to know how the whites compared to the sets you saw.

I'm still bugged by the comparison I saw against the Philips Ambilight...I'm sure if I never had a reference set to compare to I would have never noticed.

Robert
post #206 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:

I am interested to know the width of the screen with and without the speakers attached. I am in the market for a stand.

I agree, anyone who has one could you please measure how wide it it without the speakers. Thanks.
post #207 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

Still would like to know if anyone who has bought this unit or viewed one at BB has noticed the same green tint compared to other Plasmas on display or to their CRT at home.

Also would like to know how the whites compared to the sets you saw.

I'm still bugged by the comparison I saw against the Philips Ambilight...I'm sure if I never had a reference set to compare to I would have never noticed.

Robert

I looked at this TV for over 2 hours (different visits to BB) and I did not notice any green tint. I did notice a bad green tint on the older 42" model. The 50" was seated next to a Panny, Samsung, and a 6K Pioneer. I did notice that the whites were more white on the Pioneer, but not by much at all (at least not 4k worth). I did not play with any of the settings on any TV's, so I may be able to use DVE on the Maxent and get the whites a little more white. Anyway, I thought the picture was great and it compared well, if not better, to other units.
post #208 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 AM

Hi, new member here.

First of all, thank you for all the info, very helpful.
I just purchased this TV, now I have some questions.

1).What would you recommend for DVD player for this set (I'd like to keep it under $250).

2). I have Motorola 3412 HD DVR with HDMI, so if get DVD player with HDMI what would be a better option for me: DVD to TV via HDMI and cable box to TV via component, or DVD to TV via component and cable box to TV via HDMI?
post #209 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 07:28 AM

Some felt that the PQ over component was better than the HDMI on the 42x3 model. Is this the same case with the 50x3?
post #210 of 2189 Old 11-11-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Just measured the box mine came in and it's 15"x54"x38" and those are all rounded up as the measurements were slightly under full inches.

Thanks! Man is this a tough decision. I had pretty much decided to "settle" for the Samsung HC-R4755, and keep the extra $$$$ for my next TV in a year or two (probably a 60in SED for less than this Maxent ) I will probably still go with the Samsung, but of course I will need to avoid this thread while you all are revelling in your purchase
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50x3 50 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page