post #91 of 585 Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM
E39

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-Air View Post

On to a more serious matter...my question is anyone who actually owns this panel, please give me your most honest opinion about the PQ. I'm thinking of either getting this plasma or the 65" 1080p HP DLP since they're both in the same price range. TIA

A bit more from me... I can't imagine how sports in High-Def could be better on another panel. Perfect for football and hockey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 585 Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice.... Hockey is a good test as well....high contrast black puck on bright white ice moving at good speeds...

I was very interested in the HP 1080P DLP, but I was unable to find a Canadian retailer...

I can't wait to get my Dell.....getting so sick of watching TV on the small screen....I miss HDTV....

I'll be doing a fair bit of plasma tweaking over the coming weeks though...I just helped my parents set up their Panny 42" ED plasma tonight....next step is to get them some real cabling....although the set looked not too bad all things considered.....basic SD satellite box fed through CHEAP ghetto-grade composite cables...
post #93 of 585 Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 PM

For those who'd like to save a chunk of cash, Dell have just introduced a revamped 42" (the W4201C) to match the 50". Much improved brightness and contrast ratio and 2 HDMI inputs seem to be the big changes.

Should probably get one of each

Steve.
post #94 of 585 Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 PM

It's nice to read the anecdotal reviews on this thread for the W5001C, and it all sounds good. Still, I'd really like to read published reviews of the product and can't find any. CNET has no review, and only 3 user comments. Where else might I find a complete review?

Better yet, where can I find a comparison of PQ and features between the Panny 50" consumer models and the Dell? The only thing holding me back now is the existence of any actual reviews other than from members here. I had my mind set on a Panny, but this Dell seems like a better overall buy and competitive in quality too, if I'm to believe what I read.

Any suggestions on what else I could read to convince me to go with a Dell and not a Panny?
post #95 of 585 Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 PM

I take the reviews on CNet with not just a grain of salt..but rather a shaker full...the review dates were before people actually had the units inhand for test....
post #96 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-Air View Post

Bottom line here... It does NOT say panasonic on the panel. I mean how can you expect fan boys to actually look at a non-panasonic panel?

On to a more serious matter...my question is anyone who actually owns this panel, please give me your most honest opinion about the PQ. I'm thinking of either getting this plasma or the 65" 1080p HP DLP since they're both in the same price range. TIA

I have been extremely happy with the PQ on this set so far. HD content is jaw dropping as well as DVD material. Standard cable is good but as I said in an earlier post after looking at HD content the Standard cable signal on any display is not going to look amazing. I had actually ordered the Panansonic 50" but due to the long back order time for the panny and the nice price on the Dell i cancelled the Panny order. My two cents is if you can afford to get a 50" panel I would definately put the Dell 50" on your list. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
post #97 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM

What kind of warranty did you guys buy? I see they have some up to 5 years... it's expensive but available.
post #98 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM

In the spirit of xmas, I'm gifting a coupon to this thread. Not sure what the policy is on this here.. but here is a Dellf coupon for $400 off. It doesn't stack with the $300 they are naturally giving, so it's really only worth an extra $100. One time use, use by 12/21/05. Post if you use it.

$QQQJLQCX0C00J

Happy Holidays to AVS members...
post #99 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by houcontrol View Post

Initially I was drawn to the 50" Dell because of my good experience with their computers. However, after reading some of the horror stories on the 42" plasma, and the complete lack of a track record on the 50",

is the 42" one being referred to the older EDTV one or the newer HDTV plasma? thanks
post #100 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojready View Post

is the 42" one being referred to the older EDTV one or the newer HDTV plasma? thanks

The 42" referred to here is the w4200HD. There were some issues with the orginal firmware on the display. They were corrected with a firmware update that Dell techs had to come and load onto the display.
post #101 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM

the 4201 is the new model and is only just now showing up on the Dell sites....

the reviews were from the earlier 4200 model
post #102 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM

For the folks that have gotten this display setup. Have you used AVIA or Digital Video Essentials to calibrate it? If so what settings are you using for brightness, contrast, etc?
post #103 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohica View Post

What kind of warranty did you guys buy? I see they have some up to 5 years... it's expensive but available.

I did not get the extended warranty. However, after the purchase you can purchase the extended warranty through Dell up to 21 days after the purchase date. I think i am going to go with an additional 2 year warranty but was also looking at a warranty from Repair Master.

Does anyone here know if the Repair Master warranties cover the Dell displays?
post #104 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 11:00 AM

I have so far just stuck with the 1 yr extension from my Gold MasterCard....
post #105 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop01 View Post

The 42" referred to here is the w4200HD. There were some issues with the orginal firmware on the display. They were corrected with a firmware update that Dell techs had to come and load onto the display.

thanks. so the new one has the updated firmware or are people still skeptical to pick this up? I can't see there being that much of a difference between the 42" and 50". The 50" would be too big for my apartment and I've been looking into a Panny plasma or other brand LCD, but keep hearing this and that about problems people have had and so on. I don't have a huge living room and I'm afraid that any tv I get (other than a 300 pound crt) is going to look pixelated or blurry from 10' or less.
post #106 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:

thanks. so the new one has the updated firmware or are people still skeptical to pick this up?

No, the W4201C is a replacement model for the W4200HD that had the problems. It has improved brightness and contrast, plus 2 HDMI inputs. How much of the previous model is carried over, I can't say.

Steve.
post #107 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post

No, the W4201C is a replacement model for the W4200HD that had the problems. It has improved brightness and contrast, plus 2 HDMI inputs. How much of the previous model is carried over, I can't say.

Steve.

gotcha thanks. the more and more I read from the FAQs at this site, the more I realize how wrong I had everything. I thought the higher the contrast ratio or whatever (e.g. 1366x768) then the better the picture, but I'm seeing that's not the case. Also, what would the IRE's be on these Dells? What about the lcd compared to this? The price is so much better than similar out of stock pannys that I'm really considering getting the 42" plasma or 37" Lcd soon.
post #108 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:

gotcha thanks. the more and more I read from the FAQs at this site, the more I realize how wrong I had everything. I thought the higher the contrast ratio or whatever (e.g. 1366x768) then the better the picture, but I'm seeing that's not the case.

Actually, you're gonna have to tweak your knowledge a bit more What you quoted was a screen resolution, not a contrast ratio. The native screen resolution on the 41" is 1024x768, on the 50" it's 1366x768. The contrast ratio is 10000:1 on the 42", 8000:1 on the 50". The Dell LCDs are generally 1366x768 resolution with a MUCH lower contrast ratio.

And, in general, it's true that the higher the resolution or contrast ratio, the better the picture. Though things can get a bit dodgy when comparing plasma and LCD screens.

Steve.

P.S. Try googling:

define: contrast ratio
define: screen resolution
post #109 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:

thanks. so the new one has the updated firmware or are people still skeptical to pick this up? I can't see there being that much of a difference between the 42" and 50". The 50" would be too big for my apartment and I've been looking into a Panny plasma or other brand LCD, but keep hearing this and that about problems people have had and so on. I don't have a huge living room and I'm afraid that any tv I get (other than a 300 pound crt) is going to look pixelated or blurry from 10' or less.

In general it has been said that if you can afford the bigger screen get it. I too was going to get a 42" but am very happy that i went with the 50". When determining what size panel to get you should also take into consideration how far away you will be sitting to view the display. I sit approx 8-9 feet from the 50" and it is a perfect fit.
post #110 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Congrats on your purchase. This plasma seems too good to pass for the price and features.
Some questions if you don't mind
1) How does this compare to panny hd? any false contouring or clayface artifacts? Are they comparable or more or less than panny?
2) Do you know how many colours it can display 16 million or 3 billion?
post #111 of 585 Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM

I have been following these threads for a couple weeks now and have finally had an opportunity to see the dell 50" in person. It was through 2 feeds from Comcast, HD ESPN and standard cable (CNN Channel). Seattle Kiosk location...actually the comcast Kiosk using the 50" dell.

I would say that I was very pleased with what I have seen. Now granted, alot of these sets its hard to compare vs. other brands if you dont have them side by side. But, with opportunity for this everyhtin glooked real good. I probably sat there for about an hour just to try and pick up as much as possible, ie different colors and different shows.

The HD picture (HD ESPN) was great and the standard cable (CNN) was good as expected.

This is what I needed to validate my purchase. I couldnt feel comfortable prior to seeing the set. How could one pay that amount of money on something without validation. I will be making the jump in the next couple weeks. still trying to get the $500 off gift from the dell xmas game, I have only received the $400 discount thus far...but I still have some days of playing to receive that extra hundo.

Let me know if you have any questions from my personal view.
post #112 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 AM

I know that you guys probably don't care all that much about it, but I'm so excited that I need to share my news: my TV is getting delivered today between 1 and 5.
post #113 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calim View Post

I know that you guys probably don't care all that much about it, but I'm so excited that I need to share my news: my TV is getting delivered today between 1 and 5.

Great to hear. It will be one busy weekend for you my friend . I still have to wait a few days for mine .... what date did you do your order? Are you in Canada or the US? (just trying to compare with my timelines)

Thanks and enjoy your afternoon.... I'm sure you will.
post #114 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUIMAN View Post

Great to hear. It will be one busy weekend for you my friend . I still have to wait a few days for mine .... what date did you do your order? Are you in Canada or the US? (just trying to compare with my timelines)

I placed the order on the 6th, and I'm in the US (Connecticut). I've already warned my girlfriend to expect a night of fiddling, adjusting, tinkering, and configuring. She'll be lucky if she gets to watch 10 minutes of one program.
post #115 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Could anyone post or describe the 4:3 stretch modes available on this set. Is there anything comparable to the "Just" mode on the Panny's? (stretch edges more than the center) Also, can you stretch 4:3 HD content?
post #116 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know exactly how you feel... I could not wait for mine.
Please give us your thoughts when you get a chance (plus it's good for you to "get it all out" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Could anyone post or describe the 4:3 stretch modes available on this set. Is there anything comparable to the "Just" mode on the Panny's? (stretch edges more than the center) Also, can you stretch 4:3 HD content?

I can't comment on the "just" mode... never seen it. Although I did notice that the "Zoom" which I do on 4:3 content (regardless of HD or not) seemed to have more zoom in the middle than the sides. I saw something move across the screen from one side to the other.. I think it was a sports ticker or something... and it seemed to "ramp up" as it came to the center and then out again. Maybe someone else with the set can comment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

Congrats on your purchase. This plasma seems too good to pass for the price and features.
Some questions if you don't mind
1) How does this compare to panny hd? any false contouring or clayface artifacts? Are they comparable or more or less than panny?
2) Do you know how many colours it can display 16 million or 3 billion?

1. dunno... hard to say as I don't have a panny to compare it too and I don't trust the B&M "settings". I haven't noticed any clayface stuff... but maybe that's just me.
  2. lots Seriously, I have no idea.

RADIatiON
post #117 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I placed the order on the 6th, and I'm in the US (Connecticut). I've already warned my girlfriend to expect a night of fiddling, adjusting, tinkering, and configuring. She'll be lucky if she gets to watch 10 minutes of one program.

Most women would absolutely love a night like that... oh wait... you meant with the TV !

RADIatiON
post #118 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIatiON View Post

I know exactly how you feel... I could not wait for mine.
Please give us your thoughts when you get a chance (plus it's good for you to "get it all out" )

I can't comment on the "just" mode... never seen it. Although I did notice that the "Zoom" which I do on 4:3 content (regardless of HD or not) seemed to have more zoom in the middle than the sides. I saw something move across the screen from one side to the other.. I think it was a sports ticker or something... and it seemed to "ramp up" as it came to the center and then out again. Maybe someone else with the set can comment as well.
  1. dunno... hard to say as I don't have a panny to compare it too and I don't trust the B&M "settings". I haven't noticed any clayface stuff... but maybe that's just me.
  2. lots Seriously, I have no idea.

Thanks.
Just pulled the trigger on W4201C. Its loaded with features. Could not resist the price
post #119 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 07:18 AM

This TV uses DNX from Pixelworks for it's image processing (http://www.pixelworks.com). CLick on the "Get DNX" link for a detail about all the cool things it does.

RADIatiON - What you saw was an advanced zoom which, to minimize the impact on the overall picture, stretches the edges more than the middle. This way there is less distortion on the main part of the screen. It assumes that the stuff you really want to see is closer to the middle. Overall, I think it's better than stretching the whole picture....

Rich
post #120 of 585 Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 AM

RADIatiON,

You're not too far from me...how long did it take for Dell to get your set to you?

I only ordered on Monday and I'm already getting anxious lol...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page