Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 585 Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calim View Post

I think I've figured out what it is I'm seeing: posterization. This is my first HDTV, so I'm not too familiar with all the terminology, but from what I've read and seen of the description of posterization, it seems to match exactly what it is that jumps out at me.

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm using Component cables (waiting to get an HDMI cable). How can we know if this is the TV or the source?

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 585 Old 12-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlux View Post

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm using Component cables (waiting to get an HDMI cable). How can we know if this is the TV or the source?

Rich

I got the same findings, same setup and same question
post #153 of 585 Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've noticed it in certain scenes on some DVD's...but not to a huge extent...less than what I witnessed when auditioning RP Microdisplays...

on HD feeds, especially sports, the set is stellar...

Considering the difference in price to step to the next available option, or the tradeoffs I'd be looking at and compromises in image quality I'd be saddled with to go to a comprably priced RP set (after having my purchase price adjusted to the boxing week sale price) I couldn't be happier with the set...
post #154 of 585 Old 12-24-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsdenM View Post

...but I'm still waiting: anyone know yet who makes the panel for Dell? And how it compares to the 50" panny panels? The latter were what I was planning on, but if the Dell is close, for the price, I would certainly consider it. (Current price for the Panny consumer 50" is ~$6k! vs Boxing week Dell of ~$3.7, I think).

I was in your same position when i purchased my Dell TV. I purchased the Panasonic originally but the set was back ordered until the end of Dec, I ordered the TV on Nov 6th. After seeing the Dell and comparing the specs i cancelled the Panny order and went with the Dell. I have been extremely happy with the purchase so far and in my personal opinion the Dell looks just as good as the Panny for PQ from what i saw of the Panasonic in action.
post #155 of 585 Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 PM

Hello,

I just ordered my Dell 50" PDP. I could not resist the Thousand dollar savings. My set is due on January 2,2006. Hope I made the right choice, just incase I got the 4 year extended on-site warranty.

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks.

James
post #156 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 AM

I have a question for anyone who has the dell. I just got mine the other day, and I noticed one big thing. There is no speakers! Were they supposed to come in another shipment? Do you not get speakers with this? It is not a big deal to me, but it is a big deal to the wife.
post #157 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 08:08 AM

brianhos,

Yes, you should get speakers. They came shipped in a separate box WITH the TV. The separate box was attached to the big TV box with plastic wrap and tape....

Rich
post #158 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 AM

pretty satisfied with the set overall, only a few issues.

Issues with the company itself, is another story.

Lousy customer service: (I'm sure everyone already knows all about them.)

Unfair, unethical, should be and maybe is illegal pricing tactics.....
Somedays the price will change 2 or 3 times. Raised & lowered...

Absolutely ridiculous.....

For the latter reasons: No future business from my end.
post #159 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Well, I've gone ahead and made the arrangements necessary to return my W5001C. I like the TV well enough, and the service I received was PHENOMENAL, but the posterization issues I was seeing in the shadow areas was too big an issue for me to ignore. I watch a lot of DVDs, and to the blotchiness/posterization that I was seeing was a dealbreaker. Everything else was great (though I'm pissed at myself for not realizing that the RF inputs didn't have a QAM tuner), but the picture quality just wasn't what I was looking for.
post #160 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Well, I've gone ahead and made the arrangements necessary to return my W5001C. I like the TV well enough, and the service I received was PHENOMENAL, but the posterization issues I was seeing in the shadow areas was too big an issue for me to ignore. I watch a lot of DVDs, and to the blotchiness/posterization that I was seeing was a dealbreaker. Everything else was great (though I'm pissed at myself for not realizing that the RF inputs didn't have a QAM tuner), but the picture quality just wasn't what I was looking for.

For the price of a good HDMI cable you could've gotten a Samsung upconverting DVD player that includes the HDMI cable. That is what I am using as my DVD player even though I have a Panasonic HTIB. The DVDs from the Samsung look great.

I 'm going to relegate the HTIB to my bedroom where I'm going to put my new 32XBR1 and probably piece together a surround system.

Sorry to hear you weren't totally happy with the set.
post #161 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterry View Post

For the price of a good HDMI cable you could've gotten a Samsung upconverting DVD player that includes the HDMI cable. That is what I am using as my DVD player even though I have a Panasonic HTIB. The DVDs from the Samsung look great.

I 'm going to relegate the HTIB to my bedroom where I'm going to put my new 32XBR1 and probably piece together a surround system.

Sorry to hear you weren't totally happy with the set.

What samsung DVD player are you using? I have been impressed so far with my old Sony DVD player using component cables. Have you noticed a big difference in PQ using the samsung with upconversion over component?
post #162 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Well, I've gone ahead and made the arrangements necessary to return my W5001C. I like the TV well enough, and the service I received was PHENOMENAL, but the posterization issues I was seeing in the shadow areas was too big an issue for me to ignore.

I have not convinced myself the occasional posterization is in the set. I think it is a combination of source material and the scaler in use. I now have an upconverting DVD player and the DTV HD DVR (which upconverts) connected through the two HDMI ports. Now I can switch either one to upconvert (to 720p or 1080i) or to pass 480i and 480p and let the W5001C scale it. The next time I run across a program with posterization I will be able to switch back and forth and see if one way is better than the other. It certainly isn't a case of the W5001C not being able to produce an adequate range of blacks as so much of the HD material is absolutely fabulous with no trace of posterization. I can test on board vs offboard OTS, Sat, and DVD sources and three different scalers. I also can switch any unit to my LCD projector for comparison. Another week and I am sure I will have an opinion.

Calim, if you get a different plasma, please come back to this thread and let us know how they complare with regard to the posterization issue.

Also, your contrast seems pretty low to me. I am running pretty much the same numbers except the contrast which I have set at about 42-46 depending on the port. I assume you calibrated using a DVD player, did you use these same numbers for the HD tuner settings as well? What kind of DVD player and what input port is it connected to?
post #163 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 03:25 PM

74Capri I agree. I have been dealing with dell for a few years now and customer service can be hit or miss. My Axim X50V Pda recently went on the blink and 3 days after I talked to customer service I had a new Pda. I had an issue with my computer and I had to bounce around 3 different reps who could barely speak english. And their prices seem to go up and down from month to month. However I recently got an $800 off coupon for the W5001C. With it already at a low price, I had to jump on the deal. So mine is set to be delivered on the 28th by FSP. I hope all goes well. All in all I have been very pleased with all my Dell products.
post #164 of 585 Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM

OMG thanks for this thread! After searching and searching we determined that 42" was just too small and we didn't want to go with rear projection.. however in canada 50" plasma price point is rediculous, even online 1000$ off seems too good too be true well I ordered mine tonight lets see what happens (I'm super stoked though )
Plus I got free shipping!
post #165 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 AM

On the occasionnal posterization:

I have to agree with davivers: I'm just referring to stb to plasma. have not viewed too much dvd content yet.

My hd content is amazingly life-like, but on digital i see the posterization too frequently.
I'm not sure it's in the signal either..... Real frustrating.........

Maybe they spent so much time making sure the hd was great, they forgot about the rest...

If it is the source or signal, then what????

Do we have to wait until everything is in HD??????
post #166 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 AM

Aquapussy...

I ordered my set late on the afternoon of monday Dec 12 ....I received a call at noon on Friday Dec 16 from the shipping company to confirm I would be there to accept the delivery that afternoon....Unbelievably quick turnaround.

I saw the Boxing day flier online on Dec 23, so called and they adjusted my price by crediting my card the difference + tax...no problems, no hassle...

Commonly compared sets like the Panny 50PX50 or 500 and the Toshiba 50HPX95 both retail for over $2k more than the Dell here in Canada...that was enough to make me pull the trigger on the Dell and I have not regretted it one bit.

Consider that at the current price point (on sale) the Dell is closer in price to rear-projection DLP's and LCD's...(especially RP sets that have so many inputs)...now compare the picture between sets at that pricepoint.....I have yet to see any that hold a candle to theW5001C...

For many spending the additional $2k+ (Cdn) was not an option...for me it made the difference between picking up a plasma vs compromising to the flickering image of DLP or the flat, untextured image of LCD RP...

Unlike most manufacturers Dell seems to have their price equal or lower than their US pricepoint. The set seems to be built with quality and in an attractive package...

The Panny 50" 8UK with 2 HDMI blades will run you about 30% more in Canada (in theory..if you could find one...which in all likelihood you CAN'T)....the Toshiba 50HPX95 will run you about 60% more...ask yourself again...how does it look?

Would a pure videophile be happy with the set...probably not...unless someone discovers an entryway into a hidden service menu to unlock more in-depth tweaks...will it be more than enough for the other 99% of the viewing public...you betcha
post #167 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 08:37 AM

What boxing flyer???
post #168 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Boxing day is an additional Christmas holiday in Canada...

I don't know its origins..but it's a time retailers take advantage of to sell off excess stock and consumers go crazy to save a few extra $$$$
post #169 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Oh i see........
post #170 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 12:58 PM

Is $XXXX before tax/shipping good price for this unit ?
Thanks.
post #171 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 PM

Anyone from Montreal region know where I can see this unit on display?
post #172 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Howdy all,

Back with my settings

VGA:
Brightness: 41
Contrast: 42
Sharpness: n/a
Color Temperature Thingie: Natural
Color Hue: n/a
Color Saturation: n/a

DVI->HDMI (cable box)
Brightness: 43
Contrast: 43
Sharpness: 6
Color Temperature Thingie: blue
Color Hue: 49
Color Saturation: 58

Component1 (xbox)
Brightness: 43
Contrast: 43
Sharpness: 6
Color Temperature Thingie: blue
Color Hue: 49
Color Saturation: 58

In regards to the posterization... I believe this is what I was talking about in the very begining. I see it every now and then, but not too much. In fact I have to really look for it now.

As davivers pointed out, I think my Contrast setting was too low at first and since setting it higher, it has lessened it's effects.

@calim
Please report back once you get your next set and let us know how the Dell compares.

I have to say.. all things being equal... I am very pleased with the set. Once the room is completed I will have time to enjoy it. Once the room is completed... say it with me... once the room is completed

RADIatiON
post #173 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 02:36 PM

That posterization you're seeing is the result of a cheap (or substandard) color decoder . The same thing happens when you lower the color from 32 to 16 bit on your pc. Those nice smooth colors on that wallpaper you have are suddenly erratically contoured and look like a gif animation. For me, that's always the killer when I walk into a store and see it in real life. The only solution is to buy one that is better with colors. That's how they reach the lower price points. I would stay away from Dell anyway. It's just a matter of time before they decide Flat Panel TVs aren't the business for them and they cut and run.
post #174 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 PM
E39

Every time I watch sports on HD I feel the urge to come on here and gush over how amazing it is.

Thanks for listening, please carry on.
post #175 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

Every time I watch sports on HD I feel the urge to come on here and gush over how amazing it is.

Thanks for listening, please carry on.

E39, Do you set it on sports mode, when viewing sports.
Or do you prefer the personnal, movies etc...
post #176 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1981 View Post

That posterization you're seeing is the result of a cheap (or substandard) color decoder . The same thing happens when you lower the color from 32 to 16 bit on your pc. Those nice smooth colors on that wallpaper you have are suddenly erratically contoured and look like a gif animation.

I think if that were true the set would produce the problem all the time. It can't have a substandard color decoder on one show and then change to a great color decoder the second I change channels. On the other hand if the source material lacks the necessary number of colors I would think that even a great color decoder couldn't do much with it. But then again I don't understand how this works. Would appreciate a more technical explanation on color decoders. Particularly in relation to SD vs HD such as, is there a separate decoder for each or just one for both? Does each port have a unique one and the tuners, or just one for the whole set? Is it in the scaler, because so far I am only seeing it in scaled material, but not all scaled material? If you told me there is just one in the whole set, then I would conclude the decoder is an excellent one as the color capabilities are really quite impressive.

Radiation: My settings are pretty much matching yours plus or minus 2 all the way across the board.

Everyone out there watching this thread on this issue should hang in there for a while longer. I don't think we have a definitive answer yet and I for one am not interested in hosing anybodies multi-million dollar investment in a new product line without some very broad based user input. We need more time, more users.
post #177 of 585 Old 12-27-2005, 09:16 PM

I see it pretty much all the time. I'm using Comcast with a Motorola 6412 box. The only way to know if its the TV would be to send it a signal that you know does not produce this problem on other sets. Unfortunately, this is my only HDTV, so I can't do it, but perhaps someone else can.

Rich
post #178 of 585 Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 AM

Yes it is very frustrating..........

On one hand: i'm thrilled with the hd content, way beyond my expectations....
On the other hand: the digital end of it, for the most part, dissapointing.....

I.ve tried everything i could think of & all input from everyone else, still no luck....
I,m done adjusting & re-setting, till someone has an answer, if thier is one....

I am leaning towards the signal, if that's the case.
I will shut the set down, until evrything is sent in HD
post #179 of 585 Old 12-28-2005, 07:18 AM

The false contouring will only happen in certain situations. For example, I have seen it happen on certain LCDs and the cheaper plasmas (while other displays are showing the same exact signal). You may get a TV that does it infrequently because the color decoder is OK, but it smacks you in the face with those few circumstances you just have no control over. I say get a TV capable of displaying BILLIONS of colors, not tens of millions. I had considered the Dell because of the price, but after reading all of these reports, I think I'll just spend the extra money and be happy with my purchase.
post #180 of 585 Old 12-28-2005, 07:27 AM

I'm not sure that specs mean anything. Everyone on this forum raves about the Vizio 50" PDP, but when I saw it in person at Costco, the false contouring was worse than my Dell and this TV has Faroudja processing and can display a Billion colors. I think the jury is still out as to whether it's the TV or the source.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page