My new Dell W5001C - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
... some thoughts I always have while reading most of the threads here... especially this one....

It's such a tough call. So subjective.

I had a friend over and he was just ooohing and ahhhing about the picture and E39 is right... sports are just fabulous in HD (I don't think the brand of set matters)... anyway, I was trying to explain about the "posterization" thing... but couldn't find any examples for the life of me. I finally went to an XVid file of CSI (624x352 and 350MB in size) and showed him some scenes where there was some macro blocking (due to the encoding process) and tried to explain again... he just didn't see it ! Not even the macro blocking ! It wasn't until 10 mins of explination and pointing out things on the screen like I was a teacher with a pointer, that he finally saw what I saw (and even then I think he was just trying to get me to stop with the explination and get back to the game )

My point is... because picture is so subjective I am very hesitant to say "yay" or "nay" to anyone. I would hate it if someone spent X number of dollars because I said "it's great" and then they were disappointed.

All I can say is... I'm glad I finally gave in, got off the "which one is better" carousel and just bought "something". I made a decision and I'm happy with the outcome.

Are there things that I wish were better or different... sure... there is always something, with any set (just look at all the threads here for every single panel). Am I sorry I got this set instead of something else... not a chance. Would a panny or a pioneer have been better... perhaps. Would anything have been worse... perhaps. But that's all dependant on me not anyone else and really... how would I know?

I feel for all you guys sitting on the fence. I was so right there with you... you can probably still see my "ass-groove". This is a big decision and a lot of money. Some people will support you, and others will belittle your "inferior choice when the best choice is... insert-whatever-here". But it all boils down to your satisfaction in the end. So if you get one and you like it... bollocks to anyone who tells you different.

calim tried and wasn't satisfied so he sent it back... but at least now he knows some of what he can and can't live with. And good on him for taking the stand that "the picture quality just wasn't what I was looking for" and actually sending it back. That takes a lot of balls to now deal with getting it back and all.

So good luck to you all and God (or your deity) speed...

Anyone close to me who wants to view my Dell... if it will help you decide (I'm not sending a free invitation for movies at Casa De RADIatiON )... is most welcome (bring chips).

RADIatiON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Agreed,,,,,,,,,,i got off that fence too.........

As far as sending an item back, well by the time you actually get the set & figure out what the problem is: TV, Signal etc...etc... It's too late to send back anyway........

So your stuck trying to figure the d.....thing out..........

I'm not into, this panel is better than this panel, what's the best sports team of all time or who is the greatest musician........oh (Santana ,,,,,of course.)

I just want the best pic i can get, for the jing i spent.

Dell, sure as .... ain't gonna help..........
You guys are!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Hello! I have been following this thread and not saying anything because I am sitting right on the fence waiting to pull the trigger on this TV (DELL 5001C). The comments and discussion flow about the same way they did last year this time when the 4200HD Dell was hovering around the same price. People got it, posted pics, had positive then negative things to say about it. Well i canceled my order for the 4200 and bought 2 - 34inch Sony XBR960 TVS for the time being and here it is a year later and the 50 Inch is out with the SAME price tag as the 42 inch last year. Now I understand that in general plasmas will continually go down in price over time, cannot get away from that, but DELL offering this 2 year no interest financing and 400 off price I may just have to pull the trigger. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the detailed input and I will keep watching for more reviews and detail here as the offer I have is good through Jan 5. Thanks again!!
Surf
Old 12-28-2005, 03:43 PM

I have a question about the "CHEIF STATIC WALL MOUNT" offered on DELL's site with the Plasma TV Line. Questions are:
1. Does anyone have this?
2. Could it be mounted on the edges of a cut out over the fire place or does it have to be mounted from the CENTER of the wall mount?
3. Will any normal Plasma wall mount work with this TV or do they make it so you have to buy DELL?
Thanks in advanced...
J
Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM

I have the CHEIF STATIC WALL MOUNT and the mount has a long oval openings about 6-8 inches wide on each corner where you put the screws in, so depending on how big your opening is, you could mount it over top.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi All:

I've enjoyed this thread immensely, so thought I'd share my experience...

I have also made the plunge and gotten the Dell 50", which delivered yesterday (1 day ahead of schedule). I was looking for a balance of cost/quality, and researched quite a bit with a couple friends who also settled on Dell (2nd place was Panasonic). Finally, I work with the "HT Guys" and one of them told me you can't go wrong with this generation of Dells (they liked the 42" a lot). Anyway, there's the background.

This is my first plasma, and have just gotten hooked up to my DVD player (Sony DVP-NS70H - and yes this model has a 1/2" shifted image at 1080i), plus the PCI via DVI/HDMI. HD/DVR coming this Friday.

The DVD display looks absolutely awesome, as good as anything else I've seen. Used a variant of the cailbration settings posted here, plus a minor tweak with DVE.

PC is OK, but not as crisp as I had hoped. There's a little ghosting (?) around the text, and some unnatural oversaturation (forgive me, I don't know the full HT lexicon). Turned Sharpening down to "0", which helped a bit. No real color settings for this, except on the PC video card driver, but don't want to go there yet.

Before the purchase, I saw a couple of the Dell's at a showroom, one being calibrated, one not, and the difference was amazing - the calibrated unit looked like a completely different model. So...

I went to a local HT boutique today to see about them doing a pro calibration for me. This is a high end place, doing Kaleidescape-type installs. They said the Dell is "at the bottom of the food chain, unlike a Panasonic or Fujitsu", which I guess is what you'd expect them to say, as that's all they sell and their typical customer drops $25K on his HT. Anyway, they said there is a major limitation in the service menu options that would allow them to make any improvements - don't know if this is true as got no specifics. Anyone know about this?

So, I'm so far very happy with the unit, and if I can just crisp up the PC display, I think the Dell is good as any of the units I've seen, and collectively with friends, have done a fair amount of research.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amop View Post

PC is OK, but not as crisp as I had hoped. There's a little ghosting (?) around the text, and some unnatural oversaturation (forgive me, I don't know the full HT lexicon). Turned Sharpening down to "0", which helped a bit. No real color settings for this, except on the PC video card driver, but don't want to go there yet.

What input(s) are you using for your PC, and what resolution(s) are you using?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amop View Post

Make sure you have Clear Type enabled for screen font smoothing under:

Display Properties/Appearance/Effects/

Steve.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 PM

I have learned a few thing from this thread also. I recieved mine today. At first I am a little dissapointed with the picture. I am coming from an older Akai 65" projection tv. I am running a DVI to Hdmi cable from my cable box to the tv. All the HD channels look amazing. But the regular tv looks ok not the best. I also notice that on dark areas I am getting posterization, if I am using the right term. I am going to try some tweaking. I would say it is a big improvment over my old projection but not sure if it is worht the price tag yet. I will give it some time. I am running my Sony CX-995V dvd player directly with an HDMI cable. I am going to run it through it paces tonight and see how it does.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 PM

amop,
I have the exact same setup and concur with your analysis. If you are getting the H10-250 DVR I think you will find SD on it good, but not as good as the DVD player. HD will be superb. I assume your PC is through the VGA.

My recollection is that the NS70H is a 12 bit machine which begs the question, what happens when a 12 bit machine feeds an 8 bit display through the HDMI connection. Pretty damn awsome isn't it. I was most impressed by the fast pans of landscape scenes, very stable and smooth. Maybe the best I have ever seen and of course no posterizing in the dark areas with the few DVDs I have watched so far. I am a little surprised by this because I would have thought that most DVD's are encoded in 8 bits and going from 8 to 12 to 8 would degrade the image. Which only reinforces that I don't understand any of this, so I can only rely on my eyes.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback...

travd - I am using the DVI output of my PC (nvidia card), hooked up to HDMI

StevEast - Thanks - will try that when I have a chance. Though not sure why on my 21" desktop LCD the text looks just great as is, and not on the Dell.

davivers - PC is through DVI/HDMI. I understand a little about bits, but actually do see some posterizing. What settings are you using?

Speaking of posterizing - I've had a chance now to check out some dark concert DVDs, and couple dark-ish movies, like "Sin City" There is indeed a fair amount of posterizing, and when something transitions to black, it goes greenish, so there is a greenish tint overall. Not sure if it's the Dell or not, or the nature of the DVDs. I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to tell yet. Maybe check it against the DVR/HD setup arriving Friday. However, I can see this getting a little annoying...
Old 12-28-2005, 08:39 PM

It's very annoying & Dissapointing.......................

Keep throwing the Posterization deal out there..................

Don't let it die.....................

Somebody's going to figure it out...............

I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange....I'm running a Denon DVD-1600 via Tributaries component cables to my W5001C and I didn't think the posterizationin Sin City was all that bad??

I'll watch it again soon with a more critical eye..what was more noticeable to me was in Star Wars Ep 3 in some of the close up face shots of Anakin there seemed to be a bit...

I'll be springing for a full blown calibration soon on the set...

In the meantime, I've been very pleased with how it has handled HD content as well as SD (SD however is still being fed through an upconverting HD PVR Satellite receiver - Expressvu 9200 - Echostar 942)

i'm not going to try and compare the image quality of this set to a professionally calibrated Fujitsu.....first..because it's not calibrated yet, and second...because it cost me half of what the Fujitsu would have....

It's like buying a Corvette and then complaining that it's not a Ferrari...It's still way more performance than you'll ever likely need or use...and sure you could have gotten a bit more..but for a healthy premium!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 PM

That being said...let's see what we can do to optimize the performance out of this set...

I'm very happy...but if we can tweak it to make it better still..I'm all for it!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:29 PM

I finally got my HDMI cable and hooked up my Motorola 6412 STB to both the HDMI and Component connections. I did numerous back and forth between the HDMI and Component connections and I don't really see a difference in the posturization between the two. They both exibit a good amount of it in dark scenes. That said, however, I find the colors and overall picture to be better with the HDMI connection. In fact, HDMI give a brighter more colorfull picture with settings of brightness:40 and contrast:42 than the Component does with brightness:45 and contrast: 45. The HDMI picture is just much brighter overall. I still wish we didn't have the posturization problem though :-(

On another note, I noticed a problem with the side video inputs. when i connect anything to them (composite or svideo), the screen flickers on and off. Others on the Dell support forum are having this problem. Has anyone here experienced it?

Rich
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM

[quote=CPersyn]

In the meantime, I've been very pleased with how it has handled HD content as well as SD (SD however is still being fed through an upconverting HD PVR Satellite receiver - Expressvu 9200 - Echostar 942)
QUOTE]

Are you using the HDMI connection with your 9200? At first I tried (with the cable ExpressVu offered) and it was working on and off. Now I can't get it to work Also at first, when using the hdmi cable the channels would flicker once after 2 or 3 seconds the channel would come in but at least I was getting something...right now nothing!

ah yes this "Posterization", getting the same output on mine (yuck) but I did get it to disapear on certain scenes last night by trying various settings but was it still obvious on some others. I did remember looking at a Panny px50u last week in the stores and could see a small amout of it also, but again until you plug in 2 sets (Dell and say Panny) side by side displaying the same picture we'll never be able to really compare. I was thinking of buying a panny and doing just that and returning the worst one but going with the panny, I would have to drop to a 42 inch to match the price I paid.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUIMAN View Post

I was thinking of buying a panny and doing just that and returning the worst one but going with the panny, I would have to drop to a 42 inch to match the price I paid.

If you decide to do this, I'm sure everyone would be gratefull

Rich
Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 AM
E39

When I first hooked up my HTPC to my panel, I had excessive posterization. I fixed that by correcting the output resolution and performing a quick calibration. I'm happy to report I have to go out of my way to look for it now.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:09 AM

What resolution & calibration do you use?????
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 AM

[quote=GUIMAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPersyn View Post

QUOTE]

Are you using the HDMI connection with your 9200? At first I tried (with the cable ExpressVu offered) and it was working on and off. Now I can't get it to work Also at first, when using the hdmi cable the channels would flicker once after 2 or 3 seconds the channel would come in but at least I was getting something...right now nothing!

I am using the supplied cable, and yes, I do find that when I change channels sometimes it will occassionally go black and then come back up...it's not 2-3 seconds though...fraction of a second here..not enough to bother me in the least.

Dell has programmed the set to ignore inputs without a signal. when the Signal switches, there is likely a dip in the voltage being supplied to the set for the picture information...the TV thinks that the signal has gone away, so prepares to shut down the input to prevent damage...this timeout feature makes sense and could be a nice protection feature....they just need to adjust it to look for the signal a little longer before blanking out...

I'll be replacing the 2-piece cable supplied by Bell in the near future, hoping to see if the connection is causing the signal to weaken too close to the sets detection threshold...

If what I suspect is true, then it should be an easy firmware fix, or possibly even be accessible in the service menus..
Old 12-29-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

When I first hooked up my HTPC to my panel, I had excessive posterization. I fixed that by correcting the output resolution and performing a quick calibration. I'm happy to report I have to go out of my way to look for it now.

E39, Can you please elaborate on how you corrected the output resolution and performed the quick calibration.

TIA,
Rich
ps. Do you own a 5-series or does your nickname mean something else?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:01 PM

Based on this forum, bought the dell 5001c, used a [EDIT], not a bad deal with the free shipping and financing if you are so inclined.

I have started to play with Component, HDMI connections with SD, DVD and XBox360 sources and the quality has been great so far, no issues at all.

I have been playing with the calibration settings listed earlier in this thread, just wandered if anyone has found a favorite combo to date.

Now, you have 45 days from the date of the order to decide whether to purchase the extended warranty:

$349 for 2 years
$4xx for 3 years etc.

Any of you guys going for the dell extended warranty or are you relying on coverage from AMEX plat/gold, costco etc ??

Thanks.

EDIT>>

mod note: no coupon talk, please. Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 03:18 PM

According to Dell's website and their Extended Warrantee department (1-877-585-7477), you have until your original 1 year warrantee expires to add an extended warrantee. They also quoted me different prices:

$249 - Additional 1 year
$399 - Additional 2 years
$549 - Additional 3 years
$799 - Additional 4 years

I'm probably gonna do it, but I'm gonna wait a little bit to see how it holds up for now.

Rich
Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Just curious, but does anyone have any idea why a 4 year warranty is 25% of the original cost. Is this the case in all plasma TVS or are they that worried about failure? What drives these ridiculous rates?
I mean I spent 3500 on a high end DELL desktop this year and a 4 year warranty ran me about 300...
J
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlux View Post

......have until your original 1 year warrantee expires to add an extended warrantee. They also quoted me different prices:
$249 - Additional 1 year
$399 - Additional 2 years
$549 - Additional 3 years
$799 - Additional 4 years

I called today and they also told me, I have until the last day of my current 1 year warranty to purchase additional years. The prices given to me over the phone were;

$399 - Additional 1 year
$499 - Additional 2 years
$599 - Additional 3 years
$699 - Additional 4 years
Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jresurf View Post

Just curious, but does anyone have any idea why a 4 year warranty is 25% of the original cost. Is this the case in all plasma TVS or are they that worried about failure? What drives these ridiculous rates?
I mean I spent 3500 on a high end DELL desktop this year and a 4 year warranty ran me about 300...
J

Computers are made up of alot of cheap parts. When something goes wrong with a computer, it's pretty easy to isolate the problem and just open them up and put in a new version of whatever is bad.

I'm guessing that alot can go wrong with a Plasma that just can't be fixed easily or for a reasonable cost. According to the guy I spoke with, Dell won't actually repair it. He said, if I have a problem under warrantee that can't be resolved, they will ship you another TV and you return the bad one. From what I've heard about the old w4200's, this is true (although people have complained that they got a refurb back).

Rich
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM

Rather go with the repairmaster 4 yr.

You can find it for more than 1/2 the cost.......

Anyone but dell, thier not getting any more cash from me..........
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

Hey E,,,, more specifics on what you did............

Please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-29-2005, 06:00 PM
E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Capri View Post

What resolution & calibration do you use?????

1360x768. Calibrated via Avia & DVE.

That said, my Moto 6412 STB has never had any false contouring, so perhaps it's with your set?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM

I sure hope not.....................

I have know experience on avia or dve